Gran Turismo 6: Do you use a DS3 controller or a steering wheel?

• Thread starter Mikey24
  • 181 comments

What do you use?

• Total voters

Mikey24

(Banned)
Antarctica
Lost
mikey_2412
Hi all,

I've been wanting to ask this question for a little while now, Do you use a controller or a wheel?

Now, we know there are many types/makes of controllers, as well as wheels, but what makes up your rig? What make of controller or wheel do you use? How much was it?

If you've used both setups, then would you care to explain the differences? Which do you think is better to use?

:cheers:

I tried the PS controller for about an hour on GT5P, don't really like it at all. Went from that to a DFGT for GT5P and was a huge improvement though took a while to get the hang of counter steering it properly. For GT5 I used a Fanatec Turbo S with standard pedals. Wheel is good, pedals are junk. On GT6 I use a Fanatec CSR Elite with club sport pedals which is the best I have tried.

The DFGT was I think about $129, The Turbo S kit was around $350 with the pedals. The Elite I think was around $400 for the wheel and $200 for the pedals.

Basic Controller DS3 with Analogue sticks ABS=0 and TCS=0 No SRF Sensitivity at 7 (Though this can make the car pendulum about if Ryk over corrects a slide. Which is why he has it at 7 I guess.)

I have a Thrustmaster T500RS that I picked up off eBay for about £250. Its great, the pedal box in particular is very sturdy, doesn't slide away from you and is configurable. Its a good wheel.

I used to race with a pad, I think for me the speed was comparable when I first switched. I am a lot faster now than I was but then I spend a lot more time practicing now because its more immersive and more fun.

If you are buying a wheel they do your research, everyone knows that GT6 is on borrowed time as P:Cars is around the corner as is GT7, you would be kicking yourself if you bought something now that wasn't compatible with where you intend to go after GT6.

At the minute I'm on a DS3 and I've been told I'm fast (for a DS3 user, anyway) but a couple of days ago I bought a Logitech Driving Force EX off of an eBay shop for £50 and it'll be ready to collect next week. :D

Ryk
What will be faster?
First go with the big wheel and foot pedals
or a try with a DS3 using the D-Pad to steer and X and O to speed up / slow down. (Proper GT1 style!)

Good luck
That's quite a challenge! :D

Ryk
DS3 using the D-Pad to steer and X and O to speed up / slow down. (Proper GT1 style!)
This is me. :lol: For some reason I can't stand the stick for steering. X and [] for gas and brake. I had spinal cord surgery about 3 years ago, so I can't use a wheel properly. I feel like I'm missing out sometimes.

DS3, L2 & R2 for acceleration & braking, square for down shift, X for upshift, no aids, ABS off or 1 depends how I'm feeling.

Sod paying all that money on a wheel & pedals just for a game, I'd rather go thrash my real car round some country lane's then spend the money on new tyres or getting it fixed if I wrap it round a lamp post :)

DS3, L2 & R2 for acceleration & braking, square for down shift, X for upshift, no aids, ABS off or 1 depends how I'm feeling.

Sod paying all that money on a wheel & pedals just for a game, I'd rather go thrash my real car round some country lane's then spend the money on new tyres or getting it fixed if I wrap it round a lamp post :)
I use exactly the same controls, the triggers give me almost the same effect as pedals but its the restricted steering of the analog button that stops me from going faster, I figured this out after running behind TRL_Beau at the Alpine VGT at Mid-Field, he'd just steer faster than me and at a steeper angle and I'm just getting 🤬 off while running off into the wall and screaming at my TV! :lol:

I have a DFGT but i rarely use it, partially because I have a makeshift table and a chair and they don't fit to each other as well as to me in terms of height. Basically the table is too low. The other thing is that I don't have the motivation nor the dedication to get it to the grips with the wheel (I have a countersteering problem, if I spin - I'm out). Also there is nearly fifteen years of GT-gamepad experience invovled. All in all, I race with the wheel but only offline as a fun treat when I have the time, mostly I stick to DS3. But no matter what type of peripheral I use I only keep ABS-1, and mostly SH tyres. I switch to comforts only for drifting seasonals.

Still use the Logitech DF Pro which I bought for GT4. Only use the controller for photomode. Want a better wheel, but kid and family is where the money flows.

Bought a DFGT for GT5P. It was less than 1000 SEK (roughly €100) so it was a pretty good deal. Had it for five years now and apart from a minor glitch with the brake pedal (it used to get stuck at 5%, but it was fixed pretty easily) it's been working just fine.

I use the DS3 for the seasonal drift events though.

You should do a poll so we could see who uses a wheel or a ds3 controller.

I never owned a wheel for the ps3, i owned one for my ps2 which's basically some cheap ass one. I'm planning to buy one but i want to be working on PS3, PS4 and PC so i left with ether thurstmaster t300rs which isn't cheap at all or fantastic wheels that might only work on one game (Project cars for ps4) and also expensive like thurstmaster.

So the only choice would be G27 but then i could not use it on the ps4 which what i mostly play on right now.

I think G27 is great wheel that comes with all what i need like 3 Pedals, 6 speed gears, paddle shifter and so on for a "cheap" price.

i'm a DS3 player right now.

Last edited:
I use the T300RS, switched in November after years of using a DS3. Instantly a lot quicker once you get used to the FFB, much more control and precision than a DS3- in high speed corners, the wheel gains at least a couple of tents a corner. I would definitely recommend it if anyone is looking to switch :lol: And then you can use it for the PS4 if you are looking to buy one!

I currently use a DFGT but will soon be upgrading to a thrustmaster T300RS and TH8A shifter (with maybe the upgraded pedals at a later date) to be PS4 ready, I wouldn't be without a wheel now, it adds so much more to the game that I'd stop playing if my wheel broke .... until I got a new one :P

I use a controller that is not even a DS3 even though it is an official sony controller. I have bought a Hori steering controller for 10 bucks recently but I still haven't put the time needed to adapt to it...

R2/L2 for accel/brake, R1/L1 for shift up/down

Last edited:
Logitech G27, it feels so weird when I play on the controller that I don't think I'll ever go back to using it. Although I think I'll sell it for another wheel because of it's incompatibility with the PS4, just hoping it hasn't devalued too much by the time I sell it!

Wheel is better for precision and qualifying laps
Controller is better for racing, allows for immediate reaction to other car's movements.

I use a DS3 with a pair of inverted triggers.

Throttle/Brake are mapped to R2/L2, steering is on left stick.
Gear changes on the face buttons along with handbrake and rear view.
Miscellaneous car controls such as lights and wipers are mapped to the d-pad.

Recently switched from sixaxis controller to dfgt. Can't say I'm any faster, but throttle control is better, having used x and square for accelerate and brake since GT1. Long constant radius corners are easier with the wheel too, but like many, the countersteer is a problem. Used to going lock to lock with the flick of a thumb, need to drive differently to prevent the need for this. It is a whole lot more enjoyable though, best fifty quid on eBay ever 

I have a Logitech G25, and a HKS handheld racing controller. The HKS provides thumb pedals for the brake and accelerator. It also provides a thumb wheel for a steering wheel.

In terms of best lap times...
1 G25
2 HKS handheld controller
3 Sony handheld controller

My preferred controller is the G25.

Due to home space/setup limitations, I'm currently using the HKS.

Cheers

I used a DS3 (4 now as I no longer have PS3 but I Used a DS3) and never had any issues. I wasn't the fastest but still.

Back