Gran Turismo 6: Do you use a DS3 controller or a steering wheel?

• Thread starter Mikey24
  • 181 comments

What do you use?

• Total voters
Logitech Driving Force GT with DIY Pedals MOD

Snapshot_20140907.JPG

Started GT6 with the DFGT and Wheel Stand Pro. I decided it was time to finally use a shifter and clutch so I got the T300.

After waiting and waiting and waiting, I gave up on getting the TM add-ons so I returned the T300 and got a G27 for a much better price overall. In the meantime I had to get a WSP deluxe for the G27.

Haven't looked back. I'll likely run my current setup until PD stops supporting it or something wears out.

I cannot imagine buying an automobile racing simulator without using a steering wheel. Would you like to drive a real car with your controller? The day I bought GT I bought a wheel and have never even considered using anything else. I only race oval tracks and the dynamics on GT6 demand a wheel. I have a great wheel--Thrustmaster's T100--$129 and official Sony wheel for PS3 & PS4.

I use a DS3. My throttle/brake is mapped to the right stick which works really well for throttle control, and the gear up and down are L2 and R2. Down on the D-Pad is horn, up is to show the ghost. I've used a controller for every GT that I've played, and nearly every racing game that I've played, so it feels better to me than a wheel. Having said that, I've not used a wheel with FFB, so I could be missing out. For now I'll stick with the DS3.

EDIT: Here are my full controls.

Steering: Left Stick.
Throttle/Brake - Right Stick.
Flash Lights And Full Beam Toggle - L3.
Wipers - R3.
Gear Down - L2.
Gear UP - R2.
Look Back - L1.
NOS - R1.
Show Ghost: D-Pad Up.
Flash Lights: D-Pad Right.
Cross - Throttle.
Square - Brake.
Triangle - Reverse.
Circle - Handbrake.

A couple could be a little off, but I think they're close.

Last edited:
I use a DS well because I just don't have the room for a wheel setup.
I have managed to get 100% on GT6 as of late so it's possible to do everything with a DS.

My hat goes off to the DS3 users. Have tried it many times only to fail. I've been on some sort of wheel since GT3. How some of you drive so good with the DS3 gets my complete respect.
Its same to you wheel users! Its the practice that makes everyone as good as they are on a specific format! You never know, someone could be playing GT6 with a flight simulator or a keyboard! :lol:

DS3 for me. I used a Logitech MOMO wheel back in my PC sim racing days and it does seem to work with GT6 but I can't be bothered to drag it out and set it up in front of the TV. I've used controllers for the GT games since the first version...

I use the triggers for gas/brake and I have those little clip on trigger extensions which are invaluable because the triggers without them are painful to use. I use the left analog stick for steering and the square and triangle button for down/upshift. I do OK...

oh, and I always drive with all aids off except ASB=1

Last edited:
Controller for me, do not have space or money for wheel. I have being using same controls since GT1 and am going to try manual shifting.

Gioteck GC-2 'Street King Edition' for me, as I cant use a DS3 as I don't find it comfortable to use and I have a dislocated left thumb as well. But the Xbox 360 style controllers such as the one I use, are more comfortable to use.

I would use a wheel but I don't have the space for one .

My first GT was GT5P, and only used the DS3. In April 2013 I bought a DFGT (2nd hand for £75) and haven't driven with the DS3 since. I'm much better with the wheel and enjoy the game more. A few months after GT6 came out I started turning off ASM and skid control... was more an oversight from my DS3 days than wanting them on. I'd just forgotten to turn them off. With these off I get even more enjoyment from the game... just wished I done so earlier!

edit: I also have a cheap wheelstand... can't remember the name/model. It works but is a bit wonky and needs some modding. I have also slightly modded the DFGT brake pedal with some dense foam. It works well.

Standard DS3 controls for me, stick, square, x, steering on -2 usually. Do OK except for Red Bull or F1 cars, just can't get the throttle and steady steering control needed. 750 PP LMP cars are about the limit.

DS3 for me. Haven't had the space or the extra money for a wheel setup. I think I'll definitely get a wheel for the next racing game I really get into, whether that's GT7, pCARS, or something else next gen. For now though, I'm content to "stick it out" :rolleyes: with the DS3.

Took me a couple years of trial and error to settle on this layout. It's setup mostly focused around functionality while drifting.

All aids off, ABS 1 (unless I'm feeling adventurous). Controller sensitivity at -2 for drifting, +3 for grip racing.

Steering - Left Stick
Gas/Brake - L2/R2
Hand Brake - X
Shift Up/Down - Circle/Square

For my style of drifting, which uses a lot of left foot braking, I need to be able to use the Gas, Foot Brake, Handbrake, and shift all at the same time. With this layout, I place the "heal" of my thumb on X, and roll it left or right to reach square and circle as necessary. Mainly this lets me downshift while dragging the e-brake, while simultaneously feathering the foot brake and working the throttle in order to spool the turbo / mimic a clutch-kick when I release the e-brake.

Look Back - Triangle
Look Left/Right - Right Stick

I also like to be able check what's beside me and what's behind me a lot while in tandem, so making the "look around" buttons easy to get to, while still being able to at least steer, gas & brake, was important.

Flash Highneams - L3

Flashing Highbeams needed to be functional as well. Most tandem drifters in GT6 use the Highbeams when in the chase position to signal the leader they are ready to go.

The rest is pretty much putting the leftover functions where they fit.

Reverse - R1
Nitro - L1
Horn - R3
Toggle Highbeams - Right
Wipers - Down
Ghost - Up

Last edited:
No room for a wheel set-up so DS3 it is. However with GT6 I did start using the analogue shoulders for accelerating and braking; it took a few weeks to get it dialled down but now I wouldn't go back to the buttons in a fit. Makes no abs awesome, you can slam it down then ease off as it locks. Funnily enough it was playing GTAV that prompted me to change to the shoulders - fancy that, Grand Theft Auto improved my driving! :eek:

So here's something to throw off the system: I use both. The G27 is the primary tool for hot laps/racing while the DS3 is for drifting. So as it turns out, I haven't abandoned the DS3 after getting a wheel.

I've used both the DS3 and after a while i decided to buy a G27. DS3 is much easier to drive but the G27 gives you a lot more controll over the car. You can regulate better how fast the car is accelerating or how much it's turning.

I use a ThrustMaster T80 with the stock pedels. I did open the pedels and removed a spring from the accelerator. Makes it easier to maintain constant speed for me. I'm 61 and found that my hands cramp and the DS3 slips in my hands. I'm not real good at the game, however I stay amused. Today was the first time I was able to complete the Sierra Time Trial and I was super stoked! LOL I am not going to reveal my score.

DS3 user here, since playing GT2. Using joystick for steering and buttons for accelerator and brake.
Always play with only ABS 1 and no adjustments to sensitivity. Doing alright and managed to gold everything except for the X1/Vettel challenges in GT5.
One advantage of the controller is that drifting is a lot easier than with a wheel.

Still I would like a whole rig with wheel/pedals and a proper racing seat but do not have the room for that.

I like how the points of view are differents, when i was child i play f1 grand prix on my amiga (1990) using the albatros joystick, and after i started use the radio control's cars , i discovered the gt saga and buy a ps2 ,use the ds3 with sticks cause very close to the radio controller of my rc car, and i never thinking that a couch game is like real car in real life, so i still use controller and i feel like a normal video game's player ( cause this is a game) respect for all the steering wheels users!
:gtpflag:

my settings:

right stick accelerate and brake
left stick steering
R1 upshift
L1 downshift
R2 alternate headlamps
L2 rear view
left directional button left view
right directional button right view
X menu
square less tcs power
triangle add tcs power
circle handbrake
left stick button push for nitro
up directional button for ghost car
down directional button for horn
(i don't use the tcs but sometimes as new cars quick's testing i remove the default abs into the track,just for comfortly)

Last edited:
Controller since GT1 days. Directional Buttons for steering, X for throttle, Square for brake. From GT4 and after, also using R1 and R2 for manual shifting.

Until September 2013 I used DS3 with no aids except ABS
X for throttle
Square for braking
Triangle for reverse
The left stick for steering
R2 for upshift and L2 for downshift

I still use this in many games as MC:LA, GT4, DiRT 3 (sometimes DS3, sometimes Wheel)

Since September 2013 I use a completely Stock G27 setup for GT5, GT6 and sometimes DiRT3 (no aids). It cost me 260€.

Those lucky wheel users who could afford a wheel which costs around the same as a new console. They could afford lots of brand new wheel's, setups, stands, 3 - 5 widescreen monitor's...etc but then they say a new console is too expensive......WTF? So it's okay to waste Hugh money on a pedal set, 7 speed h pattern shifter...etc just for one single game or so but then you don't want to waste your money on a new pc upgrade or new console which you could play tons of games?

Looking for Thrustmaster, fanatic wheels price and the price are mostly around what my ps4 costs. Ether buy one of these wheels for a single game that i might not play it every time or a new console where i could play a lot of games?

"I don't have the money to buy a new console" and next thing you know that they just go on and buy wheels, wheel stand, 3 set pedal's, shifter, racing seat's, adapter's, mod's, monitor's, wheel add on...etc and they're okay with it.

Last edited:
Both. Mostly DS3, though.

DPad Up/Down: Nothing
DPad Left/Right: Steering

LS Up/Down: Nothing
LS Left/Right: Nothing
L3: Windshield Wipers

RS Up/Down: Nothing
RS Left/Right: Look Left/Right
R3: Horn

Select: Change View
Start: Pause/Menu

Triangle: Reverse
Square: Brake
Circle: E-Brake
Cross: Accelerate

L2: Flash
L1: Toggle High/Low Beam

R2: Accelerate
R1: Rear View

Since there're couple user's who posted their DS3 controller settings, i thought i will show mine:

L2/R2 for Brake / Accelerate
L1 to look back
R1 to use nitro's
Triangle to reverse
Circle for hand brake
Square for down shift
Cross for up shift
d-pad up to show ghosts
d-pad left / right for Steering
d-pad down to toggle light / high - low beam
Left stick left/right: steering
L3 for horn
Right stick left/right: looking left and right side
R3 for windscreen wipers
select for view
start for pause

sometimes i replace R3 and the D-pads for RA settings.

Back