Gran Turismo 6: Do you use a DS3 controller or a steering wheel?

• Thread starter Mikey24
  • 181 comments

What do you use?

• Total voters
DS3 user since GT5
Braking/Acceleration - L2/R2
Shift up/down - Right stick
Hand Brake - Square
Adjustments - x+d pad
Headlights - R1
Look Back - L1
I've tried many setups for my controller but this one seems to be the best for me.
No aids except ABS - 1, Steering Sensitivity -1

Atm. I use t500rs modded with 120mm fan and hand/e-brake, reversed pedals(brake mod installed), th8 shifter and RSeat rig + Sony 50" w8.. All in all a lot of money spended. Does it make me faster than dualshock users? Not much.. But I'm having a hell lots of fun. :-)
in overall the game seems more forgiven to joypad users in terms of grip if you cut curbs or loose the car in high speeds ect. But I think it's ok for the game balance.

Remember, There is always a quicker driver out there... Doesn't matter the controller or steering wheel.

Started playing GT5 in 2010 with a ds3, once I was sure I liked the game I bought a dfgt for about $150 CAD. I used it for about a year and a half and I was satisfied, I just wanted a clutch and h-shifter so I bought a g27 in 2012 for about $280 CAD.I also bought a GTEYE spring mod and switched all the springs. Realy like it :cool: if I had the money, I would invest in something like a t500rs :bowdown: maybe one day ! :cheers:

Bought a G25 and made a wooden stand when GT5P was released. Lasted years and paid for itself many times over in enjoyment. Had to sell the gokart years ago and this gives me my racing fix.

Heaps better control and realism with a wheel. Can be slower to begin with, but speed soon picks up as muscle memory is developed.

Scored a Monza Stand and GTeye mod when GT6 came out on special for $250ish. Probably have to upgrade for PS4 to TM300.

Attachments

• IMAG0813.jpg
    IMAG0813.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 16
I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one still using the archaic X and square with directional button steering. :lol: There are a lot more people posting on here with similar setups than I was expecting.

I use both.

DS3 for drifting and wheel for everything else.

Same, with fanatec not being fully supported in GT it's nearly impossible to drift with the wheel, at least linking drifts is anyway. Not enough rotational speed either. Other than that though, racing with a DS3 is near poverty in my opinion. If you aren't racing with a wheel.. Get one.

Using a DS3 since GT5. I played with the thought of getting a neat wheel often, but I decided to stick with the DS3. I almost got me a DFGT for 15€, but I thought nah, because a DS3 is just enough for me. My button mapping:
Gas/Brake: R2/L2
Shift up/Shift down: X/Square
Steering: left stick
Handbrake: O
Look back: L1
Nitro: R1
Reverse: Triangle
View: Select

I'm using a DS3, but only until the power adapter for the second hand G25 I bought arrives.

The DS3 triggers are really bad and my arms start hurting after half an hour of driving. It's fine when I just have to use the triggers every now and then, but using them constantly? No thanks.

I actually just used X/square for acceleration and brake in GT5. It was less accurate but much nicer on my arms. Interestingly, I have no issues using the triggers in Driveclub, because the DS4 actually has good triggers.

The DS3 triggers also seem to be very unlinear. It's a lot easier to smoothly increase acceleration for the first half of the trigger's movement range than the second half.

Last edited:
Both.
The seat is currently downstairs stored.
Can't wait till next year when the tennant will have to move and my tv/media room is to be built.

I have a gold DS3. Wheels just seem too expensive to be worth buying. I hate the default layout for the DS3, as R2 and L2 are much better pedals than X and Square. I've actually managed to get used to driving with the right stick as steering and R1 as a brake, that way I can play with only my right hand. It's useful for tracks like Daytona or SSRX, but I'm faster on other tracks with the other layout.

Last edited:
IMGP9622-XL.jpg

I have a rig, but its put away...
More on it here: Post your gt5 set up and man cave
With a baby running around... the setup has to be taken down... need to buy another house ...

Until then: DS3, X and square button for go and brake.... multi-directional for steering...

What are joysticks and trigger buttons?
Yah i am old school alright...

if i could have the Nintendo 8 bit controller to play with GT6, i totally would rock it !

mtbqCF89JMTyCOEllSZX9cQ.jpg

Last edited:
IMGP9622-XL.jpg

I have a rig, but its put away...
More on it here: Post your gt5 set up and man cave
With a baby running around... the setup has to be taken down... need to buy another house ...

Until then: DS3, X and square button for go and brake.... multi-directional for steering...

What are joysticks and trigger buttons?
Yah i am old school alright...

if i could have the Nintendo 8 bit controller to play with GT6, i totally would rock it !

mtbqCF89JMTyCOEllSZX9cQ.jpg
How on earth did you enter that rig?

I currently use a DFGT, and have since 2011. It's mounted on a Playseat Revolution (Takuma Sato Editon :boggled:). I've also added the GranTurgismo Dynamic Paddle Shifters and also the Carbon Fiber decal kit. With my original pedals, I put a small foam ball behind the brake pedal. In addition, I later took them apart and added a bit more resistance. Then, the brake pedal started sticking, and I swapped them out with my brother's pedals, which he does not use. More recently, my sequential stick does not recognize 'lighter' upshifts. Also, the left paddle has been doing double downshifts if pressed too hard. Quite annoying. Looking into a T300RS.

Started out on a DS3, and I think I made the step up to my first FFB wheel, a DFGT in 2012 (I had a Thrustmaster Ferrari GT wheel for a couple months, but the fact that I managed to wear it out so quickly got me looking for a new one very soon, along with the fact that it is a very simple wheel.) The DFGT kind of took me to the next level, propelling me onwards into leagues and clubs, though it took me a long time to learn how to counter-steer and drift successfully with it. If I weren't addicted to these games, it wouldn't have happened.

I now run a G27 (I still have the DFGT, though it doesn't get used except for on rare occasions.) I'm not having any problems with it, other than the shifter that came with it acting up some time ago before I replaced it. I'm not sure whether or not that was my doing, I missed many many many shifts when I first got it and was more forceful with the shifter. It feels weird going back to the controller, but I do it every now and again for some odd reason. I definitely believe that being on a wheel makes me faster, but I spent so much time not using my controller once I got the hang of keeping the car under control on my first wheel, that I can't say if I just don't know how to (effectively) use my controller anymore.

I use a wheel at home (T500RS), but at friends places I still use the DS3, and its still a very enjoyable experience.

GT1 - GT5 Analogue Controller, with a brief period of using a wheel with GT2, which was awful.

For GT6 I bough a T500RS and made a home-made rig.

The wheel has made me slower, and causes me to spin much more often - however, it was worth every penny, and since it's now been over year since I played GT with the a controller, the idea of just using my thumbs to play the game seems incredibly boring.

I love GT but in all honesty I don't think I'd have bothered with GT6 much after a few weeks had it not been for the wheel... frustrating though the wheel can be.

Could never drive MT very well with a controller, but instantly feels second nature with a wheel, so that was another benefit for me.

Toyed with the idea of buying the TH8RS shifter, but it's more money, and I am playing GT6 a little less each week now, and I don't plan on buying any other games that would use the wheel until GT7.

For those who say you don't have the room for a wheel set up, it doesn't actually have to take up much room or time to set up every time ;)
I've got this set up and ready before the game even has time to finish loading, when I'm going to play :D

setup.jpg set up ready to play

put away.jpg put away when not in use

I'm using the DS3 because I don't have money yet for a steering wheel.

I play using the L2 and R2 buttons to accelerate/brake and adjust controller sensitivity to 1 and for me, it is fine.

Back