Gran Turismo 6 general Physics Discussion(as well as video)

Having a ball in the missions/tests where SRF isn't forced on. The license tests I will just do once through again as the SRF REALLY separates my experience with the game. It's like I am playing GT5 all over again :yuck:

Jerome

One thing I really hated in GT5 was that in really slow corners like the 1st corners for Nurb GP and Spa, sometimes your car would inexplicably drift off. It was the strangest thing, and I think it was a glitch in the physics. You would slow down to 1st or 2nd gear, turn the wheel, and suddenly the car would start "floating" and the back end would come around as you essentially just spun out. But I felt no feedback that my tires were loosing grip and they shouldn't be losing grip as I'm going extremely slowly.

Did they fix this in GT6 as it ruined a lot of races for me in GT5?

Had quite a bit of fun with the new physics, it seems so far a massive step up from the demo build. I have driven without ABS so far so can't say how ABS behaves now but what I can say is braking without ABS has taken a huge step forward. Also the feeling in GT5 where you could get away with poor driving has gone, now if you make a mistake, you will be punished. Lift off oversteer is much more pronounced in this game compared to GT5. First I played with FF cars due to way career is, they were very fun to drive but then I got to try out a 15th Anniversary Edition SRT Viper GTS, FR car for the first time and was amazed how less forgiving it is in the right way. Then I tried the Lancia STRATOS 15th Anniversary Edition, MR car and it took step of managing weight transfer to the next level as it should. If you didn't make sure to balance car, you would spin out. That was a highlight for me, the way cars spin out it is much more like real life, in GT5 I found it very hard to spin out.

Just been driving ff's at the moment, i think i can feel whats going on more with comfort hards, had no abs too, had these setting for all the fit races and was really shocked how the rear stepped out as i braked for turn 1 at willow, it felt spot on. Then had a do with the race sirocco gt24 or something again on comfort hard i was truly shocked how they have captured the sensation of front wheel spin through the wheel and on the screen, perfectly matched, to me it just felt like my real car where you just stop picking up speed and steering has nearly zero affect. Well pleased so far

One thing I really hated in GT5 was that in really slow corners like the 1st corners for Nurb GP and Spa, sometimes your car would inexplicably drift off. It was the strangest thing, and I think it was a glitch in the physics. You would slow down to 1st or 2nd gear, turn the wheel, and suddenly the car would start "floating" and the back end would come around as you essentially just spun out. But I felt no feedback that my tires were loosing grip and they shouldn't be losing grip as I'm going extremely slowly.

Did they fix this in GT6 as it ruined a lot of races for me in GT5?

Yes this is properly fixed. It was like they were trying to simulate lift off over-steer in GT5, They've got it properly sorted now!

Bit tired to give much feedback at 2am, but at this stage the physics do feel somewhat improved over GT5... but I'll hang on making a definitive judgement until I've driven a few more cars on different tyre compounds.

I've also been running without ABS so far... with GTEYE progressive brake spring in my G27 it feels very natural... can actually feel a single wheel locking as you brake over a crest and the wheel unloads 👍

RWD cars do feel very snappy when they get out of line... not a very progressive breakaway.

Still, early days.

So just bought the game, being a Volvo Fan I bought the C30, upgraded it to the max and went to test it at nurburgring, right after the start line I brake and the car rolled on it self right after a back wheelie, the back wheels lift of from the ground and the car rolled.

What the hell?

I was using the controller not the steering wheel, and I didn't adjust the settings on the suspension, I suspect the default settings are so soft that caused this to happen.

even so its a major flaw...

just try it and have a laugh (or not)

I have a question for the people playing this game...are there any radical differences in physics going from GT5 to GT6 and what are they?

Is the driving more fun now? Considering some quicker race modded vehicles felt boring to drive.

I personally enjoyed how the Enzo Ferrari felt on the nurburgring, it felt challenging and fun.

Any cars that fit in this category?

I have a question for the people playing this game...are there any radical differences in physics going from GT5 to GT6 and what are they?

Is the driving more fun now? Considering some quicker race modded vehicles felt boring to drive.

I personally enjoyed how the Enzo Ferrari felt on the nurburgring, it felt challenging and fun.

Any cars that fit in this category?

In short, yes.

I just finished a 15 minute race on Apricot Hill, with Kaz' 24H GT-R. I had slapped on a turbo and detuned it to meet the 650 PP restriction (the turbo ups the HP to over 900 HP in several 24H cars!). I had to really work to keep the ideal line, and the car felt a lot less like it is on rails.

I won that race with .2 seconds, as the AI really clings on you as you race. I haven't tried RS tires yet though, only RH, but I do think that RS would be more like the soft compound qualifying tires used in real life racing, after I have raced with the hards.

In short, yes.

I just finished a 15 minute race on Apricot Hill, with Kaz' 24H GT-R. I had slapped on a turbo and detuned it to meet the 650 PP restriction (the turbo ups the HP to over 900 HP in several 24H cars!). I had to really work to keep the ideal line, and the car felt a lot less like it is on rails.

I won that race with .2 seconds, as the AI really clings on you as you race. I haven't tried RS tires yet though, only RH, but I do think that RS would be more like the soft compound qualifying tires used in real life racing, after I have raced with the hards.

This is creepy we both have the same username, are you my twin?

And thanks for responding looking forward to playing this game. :D

This is creepy we both have the same username, are you my twin?

And thanks for responding looking forward to playing this game. :D

hehe, I didn't even notice. I've had this nick for the better half of my life.

As for the physics though, I had difficulty with the more powerful when using the DS3. It's workable, but I just switched over to my CSR and haven't looked back. The new physics engine needs precise movements. The goodwood festival race with the Xbow was damn hard without a wheel for instance.

Yes this is properly fixed. It was like they were trying to simulate lift off over-steer in GT5, They've got it properly sorted now!
Awesome! From all the feedback it seems they really did a great job in the physics dept this time, I can't wait to play this game!

Braking distances seem to be quite a bit longer - if you don't know the track, chances are your going off track, if you brake as you see turns as they come up from full throttle

Also there is quite a big grip difference between a comfort soft and sports hard
Comfort softs are way more progressive and slidey, good for drifting

I was sorely disappointed to drive the XKRS last night. Hardly any lift-off oversteer, power oversteer was far too fleeting and controllable and I was throwing it around like a ragdoll without it getting away from me. GT's physics are always too safe, it's about time they made the cars feel like a handful.

Even though the Jag was on sports hard, it's a 540hp car. It shouldn't be easy to drive without traction and stability control on the type of tyre it wears from the factory.

If you want to drive in a smooth manner, it'll do so all day long, but if playing about with dynamics is your thing I expect you'll be fiddling with settings and compounds and stuff to do so.

hehe, I didn't even notice. I've had this nick for the better half of my life.

As for the physics though, I had difficulty with the more powerful when using the DS3. It's workable, but I just switched over to my CSR and haven't looked back. The new physics engine needs precise movements. The goodwood festival race with the Xbow was damn hard without a wheel for instance.
I've had no problem with DS3, I easily got silver in that race, I'll see what the difference is with a wheel.

Jay
Loving ABS off now, unlike GT5 the car behaves correctly without having to adjust brake bias.
The brake bias is still wrong and feels clearly rearward with the default setting. It's just that with the ABS off, stock brakes now seem to be much less effective in locking wheels than before, especially on low-powered cars. I'm not sure this actually is more realistic.

The brake bias is still wrong and feels clearly rearward with the default setting. It's just that with the ABS off, stock brakes now seem to be much less effective in locking wheels than before, especially on low-powered cars. I'm not sure this actually is more realistic.

physics is good for low power PS3 but brakes not,I can"t set my rear brakes to lock up before front! in GT5 it was well

GREAT FUN TO CATCH IT

Last edited:

The rear brakes never seem to lock (or even close to lock) before the fronts with ABS off for me and is rather stable. Inside front on turn in, both front if braking too hard in a straight line.

Jay
The rear brakes never seem to lock (or even close to lock) before the fronts with ABS off for me and is rather stable. Inside front on turn in, both front if braking too hard in a straight line.
I guess it depends on the car, then. A few cars in the Goodwood special events surely to me seemed like they would have benefited from a more frontward brake bias.

Anyway, I was curious to check this out in detail with normal cars in my garage (I usually just decrease the rear brake power to 2 or 3 as I used to do in GT5) so I tried adjusting the BB on a small FF (Mitsubishi Minica Dangan ZZ) and to my surprise with 0/10 I'm unable to lock rear wheels. Actually the brake bias setting doesn't seem to be working on this car.

Checked again on a Dodge Charger 440 R/T '70. Same. The brake bias setting doesn't seem to bring any change in car behavior, no matter what values are.

So it's true, as @super_gt hinted. The brake bias setting is not working at all. What's going on??

EDIT: actually after driving a bit with a 0/10 setting it does seem to have an effect, but it's very small. It's mostly noticeable when braking and steering at the same time, but not so hard as to lock or overload front tires.

EDIT: I tried adjusting the brake balance on a Honda S2000 and doing braking tests on Indy, and again, no matter the setting, this car just wants to slide when braking. I'm thinking the base braking behavior is now hardcoded on the car and that apparently it can't be adjusted anymore as of GT6 v1.01.

Last edited:
I've had no problem with DS3, I easily got silver in that race, I'll see what the difference is with a wheel.

I did manage a silver as well, but I cannot let a silver slide :P I have golded every mission race and goodwood/lunar race as well. The sudden oversteer on the Xbow is hard to manage, even with TCS.

I've too felt like the brake bias was not doing much of anything. Thought it was in my head. Also seems like the rear wheel drive cars lay down power much too well compared to the later grip you get from a given set of tires. Tried C5 and C7 vette on stock tires, both feel like SRF is on when it's not, then if you turn on SRF it's even more difficult to break the rear free. In real life these 2 cars are extremely difficult to control in 2nd gear while turning on even the bEst street tires. Power lay down reminds me of gt4. It's shame because other things seem much improved physics wise.

I did manage a silver as well, but I cannot let a silver slide :P I have golded every mission race and goodwood/lunar race as well. The sudden oversteer on the Xbow is hard to manage, even with TCS.
The over steer isn't bad, I think it's easily controllable, the problem I find is how narrow the track is, because there isn't much room to correct the car it forces me to drive slower than normal, so I don't mess up.

Jay
Loving ABS off now, unlike GT5 the car behaves correctly without having to adjust brake bias.
I'm very much looking forward to getting acquainted with GT6's brake settings, because after GT5's 2.0 update, one of them, brake settings went all weird for me. Maybe it was my install or something, but I went nuts adjusting almost every single car, and to stupid settings to get them to act like they did before.

On a side note, GT5 got an interesting update, not sure when, because I haven't been able to play it for more than a month. But I gave it a whirl before I fired up GT6 last night on my fave Course Maker track, and was quite surprised. My "Excalibur" course has a few mean features, such as a couple of "negative G" turns over drops which gave the bots fits. In supercar heavy races, a number of them would spin out or threaten to at this one location. But no longer. Now they all behaved like they knew the track, and every one of them was more aggressive, not just a few of them as before, fighting to get their spots back. It seems that GT5 got a gene splice grafted in from GT6 work. Along with continuing Seasonals for GT5, this bodes well for PD supporting GT6 for a good long time, if they won't drop their previous game like a rotten potato in favor of their new money maker.

I have a slight issue, mainly affecting the 15th Anniversary Cars. Basically they seem to have a tendency to oversteer. Now I tried fitting RS tyres to fix this issue, but it still persisted. So my question is, why does this occur? Is it an error in my driving style or is there something I need to do?

Back