Gran Turismo 6 modding discussion

@TheAdmiester - Have you tried using samples from Project CARS yet? Or, even the games SMS did on PS3 like Shift & Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends?

VBR
@TheAdmiester - Have you tried using samples from Project CARS yet? Or, even the games SMS did on PS3 like Shift & Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends?
I considered it but after seeing the structure of them I decided against it.

The way Forza works is that it has samples at quite small intervals, such as 800rpm, 1000, 1500, 2000, etc. Or less rounded numbers like 800, 1247, 1635, etc.

Since GT’s engine sounds have to be fairly small in file size, I pick a max of 8 samples usually, which tends to work out as me picking the idle, then every 1000rpm (or near enough) up to the redline from one of Forza’s banks.

With this process using sounds from SMS games have two problems:
1) They only tend to have around 4-6 samples per car, so with GT’s sound engine you’d hear pitch bending a lot as it has to climb higher to reach another sample
2) Samples are not labelled per RPM like Forza’s, which is extremely useful as I use that to define where the sound starts playing for each sample. SMS sounds are simply labelled very low, low, medium, high, etc. so placing the samples would be guesswork

It’s certainly doable, but not ideal, and I don’t think it’s really worth the effort.

With this process using sounds from SMS games have two problems:
1) They only tend to have around 4-6 samples per car, so with GT’s sound engine you’d hear pitch bending a lot as it has to climb higher to reach another sample
It’s certainly doable, but not ideal, and I don’t think it’s really worth the effort.

SMS have the best sounds by far, IMHO, might be worth the effort on one car just to see if it would make a difference. You could pitch shift a few of the samples using a high-quality DAW to create extra samples. Maybe I'll join you guys sometime & get more involved, I have a lot of time on my hands & could do some of the grunt work for things like this...

VBR
SMS have the best sounds by far, IMHO, might be worth the effort on one car just to see if it would make a difference. You could pitch shift a few of the samples using a high-quality DAW to create extra samples. Maybe I'll join you guys sometime & get more involved, I have a lot of time on my hands & could do some of the grunt work for things like this...
It's actually only me working on these lol. Some of my AES sounds such as the 350Z are edited from versions that Griffith500 sent me, but all the recent work (everything not AES, and the most recent AES cars such as the Quattro, FGT, Zonda) are just me.

If you want to contribute then I'll certainly try out anything you provide. If possible it'd be best to have them as mono WAV - since they're mono when converted to GT's format anyway - and preferably with some kind of labelling of which sample is at which RPM.

In progress.
Gran_TurismoA6.png

How did you find these events? Were they located in the game or did you have to do research and add them manually?
Also, are the seasonal race events there too?

He's been making them manually based on research, such as descriptions that people posted online and videos that were made when the events existed.
That sounds about right. I have been searching for info on GT6 Quick Match Events and it has been difficult to find it anywhere but a few websites, mainly these forums and on YouTube. To add to that, both members and admins were inconsistent in recording them (it's a similar story with online events from earlier games).

Last edited:
very impressive work, I just wish it was a patch like riivolutiion on wii, which allows patching for original discs. I have a modded PS3 but I dont want to dump the entire disc to my hard drive to do this, it will take so much space than it already does...

If people dumped the data sent to the game like many did to keep Mario Kart Wii online, it would be possible to send unofficial events using some kind of alternate DNS or even create alternate servers to keep the full functionailty intact instead of using tunneling software which just emulates a private network.

I saw a post on discord saying that something leaked that could help understand how the files of the games work (like cars, tracks and textures I guess).

Can you guys see how similar the models from GT3/4 and GT5/6 are? It would be nice if they were easier to import than other, unrelated stuff, especially from GT3, as that would mean getting a Porsche, Kaz's hidden GT3 (Kaz'?)

Also getting the roof-down version of the convertibles would be nice. And maybe also cars like the Model T and Benz Patent Motorwagen.

I saw a post on discord saying that something leaked that could help understand how the files of the games work (like cars, tracks and textures I guess).

Can you guys see how similar the models from GT3/4 and GT5/6 are? It would be nice if they were easier to import than other, unrelated stuff, especially from GT3, as that would mean getting a Porsche, Kaz's hidden GT3 (Kaz'?)

Also getting the roof-down version of the convertibles would be nice. And maybe also cars like the Model T and Benz Patent Motorwagen.

Vastly different.

Oh, and one more thing. On the GT5 modding discussion, someone asked if it was possible to convert tracks from GT6 into GT5, and it was responded that it is possible to convert from GT5 to 6, but from 6 to 5 it's hard. So, any progress on importing tracks from 5 to 6? The Top Gear track, the PS2 tracks...

Also, I don't know about this very well, but I think editing my comment wouldn't have sent a notification from this thread, so that's why I'm doing a second post. You guys can merge them if I should have edited my previous post instead.

Oh, and one more thing. On the GT5 modding discussion, someone asked if it was possible to convert tracks from GT6 into GT5, and it was responded that it is possible to convert from GT5 to 6, but from 6 to 5 it's hard. So, any progress on importing tracks from 5 to 6? The Top Gear track, the PS2 tracks...

Also, I don't know about this very well, but I think editing my comment wouldn't have sent a notification from this thread, so that's why I'm doing a second post. You guys can merge them if I should have edited my previous post instead.
Top Gear does work on 6.
PS2 tracks do not beyond a certain update.

Top Gear does work on 6.
PS2 tracks do not beyond a certain update.

Which update? And which update are you guys working with? What would be the trade-off for keeping the PS2 tracks? Like, what was added in the updates that don't support them anymore? If it's just a few Vision GT cars I wouldn't mind, but something like the Sierra track, or custom spoilers, painting spoilers and brake calipers, those I like.

Which update? And which update are you guys working with? What would be the trade-off for keeping the PS2 tracks? Like, what was added in the updates that don't support them anymore? If it's just a few Vision GT cars I wouldn't mind, but something like the Sierra track, or custom spoilers, painting spoilers and brake calipers, those I like.
Not sure, not one of the guys who tried to get them to work.

Is there going to be one big mod "pack" for GT6 like there is for GT2? It would be awesome.

The sound mods, new car trims...

Just add a ton of events, from older GT games. Events in the PS3 games were under-explored (except for the seasonals, but we don't have those anymore). There's barely anything with the drifting modes, and they seemed afraid of making events that required standard cars on GT6, so there's a lot of potential there.

New Beetle Cup, Clio V6 Trophy, Fiat 500 Meeting (for the classic one and the new ones separatedly), Station Wagon Cup, Luxury Sedan Cup, one that I liked a lot from GT2: Tigra Cup (could be Tigra vs Corsa, since the Tigra is build on top of the Corsa). Championships for all the "Cup Cars" we have, the Beetle, Lupo, March...

I also loved the different levels of events from GT2/3, so we could have more than one FF Cup, FR Cup, etc. The higher end ones could be for race cars, so AI would either drive a race car, or a heavily tuned street car... Is it possible to add racing numbers to the AI in custom events?

There is already one big mod planned for GT6, just the release of it is unknown at this point as many modders are making their own thing so be patient there.

I’m still gradually working on mine as now I started making events and some that were interesting to make from other games I’m basing on.

There is already one big mod planned for GT6, just the release of it is unknown at this point as many modders are making their own thing so be patient there.

I’m still gradually working on mine as now I started making events and some that were interesting to make from other games I’m basing on.

Oh that's cool. I'm really looking forward to this. I just wanted to have confirmation of which version of the game people will be using so I can get it specifically, before modding my console. Or is there a way do downgrade it like with GT5?

If people can work on different things (car trims, sounds, events), and bundle it together in one pack easily, it will be awesome.

I've played Forza Horizon 4 for so long now, but the thing is, I just don't find it that fun actually. It's like everything for a great game is there, but something is missing. I just LOVE the handling in GT games on the PS3. And although Forza has a good selection of cars, Gran Turismo has a good selection of more normal, "boring" cars. It's "HSG Automotive" I think, I saw some of his videos recently, and he made one talking about the pros of GT vs Forza, and for GT he said just that. On the 360, Forza was better in this regard, and GT was great at this on PS3, even though most cars are standard. But even standards are still fun to drive.

I was upset I couldn't get the first-gen MR2 and Celica on Forza some time ago, so I played GT6 for them, and I had more fun than I think I had later in Forza when I DID get them (it also doesn't help that these two JAPANESE cars, in a game SET IN THE UK, are left-hand drive). I could actually FEEL the lift-off oversteer of the MR2 on GT, but at the same time, it's not hard to play. It just gets boring because we don't have the seasonals anymore, which also makes it very hard to get the expensive cars, like the Miura I wanted. If we get that back, and also get some of these as prize cars, if I add these mods you guys are making, it would be best game ever for me.

(Also, please tell me there is unused code for a used car dealership in GT6 that can be used, THAT'S the last thing missing for this to be the perfect Gran Turismo game [except for the Standard cars])

(ALSO also... Wait! Is it possible to bring cars from GT5 onto GT6? because, a few didn't make it did they? Like the Jensen. Are there others? Oh yeah, the Ferrari formula 1 cars.)

Last edited:
Not sure where else to post this, but do you know if it's possible to mod GT6 so that the computer drives for you in A-spec mode? I'm interested in seeing how the CPU performs in some of the events and licenses and collecting stats about the cars. This question goes for GT5 as well.

Last edited:
Not sure where else to post this, but do you know if it's possible to mod GT6 so that the computer drives for you in A-spec mode? I'm interested in seeing how the CPU performs in some of the events and licenses and collecting stats about the cars. This question goes for GT5 as well.
Yes, and it's actually a leftover debug feature.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask. But, is it possible to find a workaround to utilize the various stationary camera angles found in photo mode while viewing a race replay? My gut instinct tells me no, but as I'm unfamiliar with modding/hacking I figured it's worth asking.

Back