Gran Turismo 6- What I Know

Status
Not open for further replies.
See my edit.
This isn't a bad thing, I hope that developers strive to do exactly the same in the next generation.
👍
Great info, thanks for that. :)
Yes, it's a good idea for developers to strive for maximum usage, that has to benefit development of future consoles I would think. 👍

RAM is what they're all maxing out, both current consoles have a tiny amount.
Ok, see...my lack of knowledge in these areas is helping me learn. :)
You can add RAM to regular computers, yes? Is this possible with the PS3? Seems an easy fix, maybe too easy...:confused:

You can add RAM to regular computers, yes? Is this possible with the PS3? Seems an easy fix, maybe too easy...:confused:

Extra RAM could be added to the PS3 quite easily but it would have the same problem any performance based console upgrade has, developers couldn't take advantage of it because not everyone would have it. Even if the new Super Slim had 4x the RAM of older models it'd be the same problem, if developers made games that used 4x the RAM anyone with an older model couldn't play it.

Actually, due to the nature of the BBC's and Top Gear's licensing, it can't be exclusive to Forza, meaning there's really nothing stopping PD from re-using it, at least on that front.

GT5 had teaser trailers almost as soon as the PS3 was out :P

Thanks for clearing that up. The in depth detail I know about BBC licensing is concerning the Doctor Who franchise, and there the licence is granted on an annual or biannual basis. The BBC have done exclusive deals in the past, though I do not know if it could have been because a 3rd party was also involved.

That's not entirely true, I remember reading somewhere that the latest uncharted had the PS3 running at 99%.

I'll try to find a source.

EDIT: I couldn't find the uncharted source, but here is the director of FF XIII saying that it uses near 100%.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/playstation-ps3-final-fantasy-13,news-3730.html
The PS3 couldn't even handle Skyrims DLC.
http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/08/31/1322255/bethesda-we-cant-make-dawnguard-work-on-the-ps3
In fact a little bit of research will show just how many games max the console.

This isn't a bad thing, I hope that developers strive to do exactly the same in the next generation.

you can max out console very easily.... the hard part is to optimize it... I can tell you for sure nowdays games can be very realistic, since we have very good damage modeling (crash testing "e.g. Volvo HQ), very high high high resolution textures :) , we can make very complex lightning and shadows, also rendering could be very complex and long even for high end PC's... the problem is that we still cant use it all effectively, consoles are limited not with technology limits, but with cost limits.. they have to create something powerful enough to be this gen.. and cheap enough for people to buy it... so in the end ps4 could be maxed out with 1st game it releases.... but like I sayd, learning better ways of doing stuff.. optimizing it will save the day... also ps4 and ps3 :) many developers still know how to use they're game engines best possible way, making shortcuts and learning new ways to deal with problems.... this can be done forever, only problem is that in the end evolution will be very tiny and slow...

You know when your GT5 disc freezes? ;) Yeah, GT5 really is something pretty awesome.

My friend's GT5 disc is barely (or not) scratched. But, his old generation PS3 can barely keep up.

This. Exactly the same thing happens to me. My disc is completely spotless, my PS3 has no issues whatsoever. Yet despite this, my poor old first generation PS3 just can't keep up and struggles to play the game at length without freezing up. A shame really.

I'm glad GT6 is a PS4 game, even if it means buying another system.

Wow. I hope we don't have to wait for PS4 to play Gran Turismo 6. Wonder how much the PS4 will even cost. Then will it be plagued by the same problems that the launch/fat PS3's were?

You can put 8 GB Ram in a 6 year old pc. This will not help much. I am not sure if the system of the PS3 can even handle this much. But a console is a console and should not be upgradebale. Thats why you choose a console over a pc in the first place.

The latest rumour of the next xbox from Club.TGCER is, that it will come with 8 GB RAM and an AMD 8800 series gpu with 8 cores. It will also run on the Windows 8 kernel. Pretty nice, if you ask me.

I think that the PS4 should be as powerful and probably will have comparable specs. But probably no Windows under the hood. :sly:

Actually, due to the nature of the BBC's and Top Gear's licensing, it can't be exclusive to Forza, meaning there's really nothing stopping PD from re-using it, at least on that front.

The question is more about them using the licence properly this time. I was really happy to see Top Gear in GT5. But all it was, was one track and three challenges or so. Not even a leaderboard competition, nothing.

There is way more possible with this license. Lets hope that PD is a bit more creative this time.

... Normally, they rebuild the game engine, but by simply building on it, they save themselves time.

They do? I've been a GT guy since day one- and it REALLY seems like GT2 was an expanded, and awesome, version of GT1. Same exact thing with GT4 being a beautiful elaboration of GT3's basic engine. Am I wrong in thinking this?

And I just HAVE to say something here that I feel is important: If GT6 is on ps4 (which it's becoming more evident by the day that it will be), then those of us who bought a PS3 just for Gran Turismo, fully and logically expecting to get two GT games out of this expensive turd, have literally gotten the shaft from Sony and Polyphony Digital. I find this disgraceful. Especially since many of us have had to purchase TWO ps3's after the old fat ones YLOD'd due to that cheap, unleaded solder used in the most critical area on the motherboard!

:irked: Bull****!!!

I'm really not so sure about GT6 being a PS4 release, it seems foolish to throw away everything PD learnt about using the PS3s resources and just move straight to a new console.

Sony wants to hang on to old hardware for as long as it possibly can, that's just common business practice.
PS3s are still selling and are being made with cheaper and cheaper parts, another Gran Turismo release would further boost sales from both new customers and people with worn out PS3s being drawn back and end up buying the newest console model that gives Sony a higher profit margin than the older models gave.

Financially, I can't see why it would make sense to move to the next generation when Sony still has the means to draw out the current one for longer.

OP: I don't believe that what has not been proven to me, now that's not to call you a liar. I just remain unconvinced.
Many people have come to these forums claiming to have insider info, some have been proven to be legitimate which would make people more likely to trust people coming out of nowhere and claiming to have an insider source or infact being that insider source themselves.

With this stronger initial trust of cases like this, I can see the incentive for somebody to go for the same method as has been used previously to garner some attention and get people hyped up.
We're all desperate for information that PD refuses to give until the last possible moment, some of us deal with that worse than others.

Regardless of whether you're telling the truth or not, I think it's horrible to work people with this mindset up.

Interesting that they base GT6 off of 5's "engine." What does that mean though? The same physics model? I'd hope they work to improve realism further more like a PC game and less like the typical counsel title (Nascar 20insert year), (F1 20insert year) .

Track wise Top gear is pretty damn boring. The only time I ever used it was for the Mercedes TT where I had a fine placing (cant remember if I was 36th or 20 something) after that driving Top gear made me want to vomit all over the invisible walls and orange cones that mimic one of those invisible dog leashes that shock the dog when he goes out of bounds.

I hope using the "same engine" doesn't mean those invisible barriers. They completely ruined all the offroad tracks in GT5, because there's no freedom!

I'm really not so sure about GT6 being a PS4 release, it seems foolish to throw away everything PD learnt about using the PS3s resources and just move straight to a new console.

Sony wants to hang on to old hardware for as long as it possibly can, that's just common business practice.
PS3s are still selling and are being made with cheaper and cheaper parts, another Gran Turismo release would further boost sales from both new customers and people with worn out PS3s being drawn back and end up buying the newest console model that gives Sony a higher profit margin than the older models gave.

Financially, I can't see why it would make sense to move to the next generation when Sony still has the means to draw out the current one for longer.

They can't hang onto it forever, no matter which way you look at it the PS3 is old hardware, the industry as a whole is moving towards the next generation. Now clearly some other developers have had the time to release one final swan song on the current generation, GTA IV being the biggest example. For whatever reason though Sony and PD have decided not to (probably time again, the last thing Sony would want is GT6 being delayed for PS3 beyond PS4 reveal time) and instead seem to have focused straight onto the next generation and using GT as a system seller.

I've always said I wanted another PS3 game and that there was enough there to make a new game that had nothing to do with the console power but I've accepted that isn't happening now, it's a PS4 game.

They can't hang onto it forever, no matter which way you look at it the PS3 is old hardware, the industry as a whole is moving towards the next generation. Now clearly some other developers have had the time to release one final swan song on the current generation, GTA IV being the biggest example. For whatever reason though Sony and PD have decided not to (probably time again, the last thing Sony would want is GT6 being delayed for PS3 beyond PS4 reveal time) and instead seem to have focused straight onto the next generation and using GT as a system seller.

I've always said I wanted another PS3 game and that there was enough there to make a new game that had nothing to do with the console power but I've accepted that isn't happening now, it's a PS4 game.

Oh I absolutely agree, the PS3 is incredibly outdated I'm not denying that in the slightest and both it and the Xbox are holding the industry back in my view.

But with how the industry seems to behave I'm not so sure that it will come out on the PS4.

I'm not bothered whether or not I get proven wrong, I'd love it to be the case either way.

PS4 would bring better physics and smoother graphics with less screen tearing and jagged edges.

PS3, well.. I don't have to go buy another 600 odd dollar console :sly:

I'm no expert on this kind of thing so take what I say for what it's worth :)

Hopefully the Top Gear stuff is gone, but other than that this supposed "leak" doesn't reveal anything that a person with a bit of logic couldn't conclude by himself. I mean, we pretty much assumed so (especially the PS4 release). I find it hard to believe someone would be surprised by this info.

Oh I absolutely agree, the PS3 is incredibly outdated I'm not denying that in the slightest and both it and the Xbox are holding the industry back in my view.

But with how the industry seems to behave I'm not so sure that it will come out on the PS4.

I'm not bothered whether or not I get proven wrong, I'd love it to be the case either way.

PS4 would bring better physics and smoother graphics with less screen tearing and jagged edges.

PS3, well.. I don't have to go buy another 600 odd dollar console :sly:

I'm no expert on this kind of thing so take what I say for what it's worth :)

Time is the simple reason why it won't be on PS3. They've ran out of it. There are no AAA PS3 games set for release after May, the obvious reason for that is because PS4 will be revealed at E3 in June. Nobody wants their PS3 title to get lost in the PS4 hype, hence why they're all out before it. GT6 has not been announced, of course, which means it won't be out before May. At E3 when the PS4 is revealed they want their biggest titles to reveal with it so there is no way on earth they're going to announce a PS3 GT6 there.

Basically with it universally accepted that PS4 will be announced at E3 there is no time or place for GT6 on PS3.

Time is the simple reason why it won't be on PS3. They've ran out of it. There are no AAA PS3 games set for release after May, the obvious reason for that is because PS4 will be revealed at E3 in June. Nobody wants their PS3 title to get lost in the PS4 hype, hence why they're all out before it. GT6 has not been announced, of course, which means it won't be out before May. At E3 when the PS4 is revealed they want their biggest titles to reveal with it so there is no way on earth they're going to announce a PS3 GT6 there.

Basically with it universally accepted that PS4 will be announced at E3 there is no time or place for GT6 on PS3.

Beyond: Two Souls is a PS3 exclusive, and its current release date is dec. 2013. I too, think that the PS4 will be announced at E3, but I certainly won't say it's guaranteed. While it makes sense to use GT6 as a release title for the PS4, there's still one reason for PD to release it on the PS3. Profit. And lots of it. GT6 could just be a vastly improved GT5, meaning it won't take a ton of money to develope, while still bringing in a huge profit.

And about the OP's post. I think he's full of it (no offence). Aparently it's very easy to convince people of all sorts of things on this site. I wonder if anyone would believe me if I said I was actually Kaz? 💡

Does that game have an official release date? I know a May date was denied by Sony but who has said December? Anyway even if that is true it's one game and secondly it's announced. GT6 is not and it's already January 2013, the next big game show to announce games is E3 and again, they're not going to announce a PS3 game alongside the PS4. The last chance to announce a PS3 game was TGS last year, IMO.

Does that game have an official release date? I know a May date was denied by Sony but who has said December?

My bad. Looks like it is just set to release some time in 2013. However, as we haven't seen an official release date for that game yet, I assume it'll release some time after summer.

Maybe, it's in the minority though. The only other games without a release date or those that are likely to be next gen titles like Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313. The Metal Gear Solid game is also up in the air.

Extra RAM could be added to the PS3 quite easily but it would have the same problem any performance based console upgrade has, developers couldn't take advantage of it because not everyone would have it. Even if the new Super Slim had 4x the RAM of older models it'd be the same problem, if developers made games that used 4x the RAM anyone with an older model couldn't play it.
Ok, with ya now. 👍 :)
And as mentioned below our comments (on p4), a "console is a console" and there shouldn't be a need to upgrade.
Otherwise, we would ALL be gaming on the home PC, and that is after all, the whole idea of having a "console". :)

The other thing getting some interest is the TGTT. :indiff:
This is a track which from memory, I can say I only used in the "game tests". :ill:
Main reason being that the was no way to do a proper standing start, timed lap. :grumpy:
Restricted I'm guessing by the BBC due to the fact they wanted NO ONE to beat a time set by the show???
That, plus those damn awful INVISIBLE walls and SOLID cones. :ouch:
Just made the track unappealing to me....:guilty:

EDIT: Ah yes....MGS, I'd wondered why I'd waited so long for something new there. :)

Last edited:
The Metal Gear Solid game is also up in the air.

You think MGS Ground Zero will release both on current consoles, and the next ones? Because it's already confirmed to be on the PS3 and 360.

MG Rising will be out in the next couple months as well. Looking forward to that. I don't expect GT6 for another year and a half at least. That and a PS4.

Well, I hope this guy is at least half-right about GT6.

It would be nice if Kaz could live up to his words to releasing GT6 in less time it took than GT5. That could happen of course if this guy is correct and GT6 is using GT5's game engine to be developed on. That's part of the reason why that GT5 took so long for release, at least that's what I know from what other people have said online.

EDIT: I also hope that there really is just cars and one of this premium/standard nonsense.

this makes me sad.... bye bye Sony...
My sentiments feel about the same. :guilty:
Though, IF I must, I will buy a PS4 specifically for GT6. I will not go the XBox route.....(shakes head)
It has been mentioned already that previous versions of the console supported 2 games (same series, PS-ONE = GT1/GT2, PS2 = GT3/GT4) so why should GT5/GT6 be any different? :confused:
Do you think it is just because game developers are going at it too quick?
Hence making the PS3 outdated before it's time? :guilty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back