Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
EA FIFA announcement is interesting. It will be cross-gen but only next-gen consoles can run "HyperMotion".

This is good news. It gives me some hope that the PS5 version of GT7 will have more features and technology compared to the PS4 version. Based on this information, it could suggest that GT7 on PS4 is GT Sport+ and therefore won't contain dynamic weather or lighting, whereas the PS5 version will contain those features - along with graphical improvements and better physics. Something like HyperMotion will alter the way FIFA is played from a physics perspective, so why can't a similar thing happen with GT7? The car and track list will most likely be identical so no-one misses out on the new content, but the way the games play and look on the two consoles will be different. I hope.

Last edited:
Now I'm thinking about another issue on PS4. What about STORAGE? Not everybody uses an external hdd for GT, and not everybody has a 1TB PS4. With the current update of GTS, I had to uninstall a few games and I can't have more than 3 on my PS4: GTS, BF5, Squadrons.
GT7 in terms of content will be bigger than GTS. I'm not saying the double, but certainly bigger. Making me think that a 500GB PS4 could only hold GT7 + another full game.
We'll see

Now I'm thinking about another issue on PS4. What about STORAGE? Not everybody uses an external hdd for GT, and not everybody has a 1TB PS4. With the current update of GTS, I had to uninstall a few games and I can't have more than 3 on my PS4: GTS, BF5, Squadrons.
GT7 in terms of content will be bigger than GTS. I'm not saying the double, but certainly bigger. Making me think that a 500GB PS4 could only hold GT7 + another full game.
We'll see
Thx to the files compression and the ps5 ssd capabilities all the ps5 games are drastically less heavier because they do not have to repeat the same file multiple times.

Thx to the files compression and the ps5 ssd capabilities all the ps5 games are drastically less heavier because they do not have to repeat the same file multiple times.
On PS5.
I'm talking about PS4.
If GT7 will also be on PS4, that version should have the same format and compression as all the other titles on PS4, or am I missing something?

Last edited:
If GT7 will also be on PS4, that version should have the same format and compression as all the other titles on PS4, or am I missing something?
No, that's correct. The PS4 version will be subject to the same filesystem constraints as any other PS4 game, which also means updating it will be intensely painful as usual. The PS5 version will not.

We'll see
To be fair, the PS5 isn’t in a much better position, only having 667GB available for games.

Not to mention, it very easy to replace the PS4’s HDD with a 1TB or higher SSD. And you get the added bonus of faster loading times.

On PS5.
I'm talking about PS4.
Yep my fault! I thought you were talking about the consequences of having a ps4 version of the game. Totally right. GTSport is already more then 120 GB.

To be fair, the PS5 isn’t in a much better position, only having 667GB available for games.

Not to mention, it very easy to replace the PS4’s HDD with a 1TB or higher SSD. And you get the added bonus of faster loading times.

@Famine I don't understand anything about compression, but is it possible that the space required for GT7 will be different on PS5 and PS4?

Last edited:
If GT Sport were released as new tomorrow, the exact same game that it is now, it would be quite a bit smaller than the current install size. Patching games always takes up more space as you have to retain redundant data chunks.

No idea how big GT7 will be obviously but I wouldn't expect it to be horrifically large at launch. After a bunch of patches though, it'll only skyrocket again.

@Famine I don't understand anything about compression, but is it possible that the space required for GT7 will be different on PS5 and PS4?
Potentially much smaller.

You have to store multiple examples of a graphic in different locations with a HD. With a SSD One example will do and can be fetched from one location to your setting. Mark Cerny explains it in the Playstation 5 Tech reveal.

There are 3 scenarios...

1. Both versions exist and PS4 does constrain PS5
2. Both versions exist but they're quite different and PS5 version won't suffer
3. Only PS5 version exists

1 would be a nightmare.
2 would still be bad enough because splitting the player base means... even less players to play with online, and any month working on a PS4 version is "wasted" time which could have been used for the PS5 version
3 would be great but at this point i'd be surprised if true

The other problem is that if the ps4 version exist, for sure it is going to have the cross play with the ps5 players and that means no differences in gameplay for obvious reasons.
There could be cross play if room host sets it "on" on the PS5 (then there would be some limutations) and otherwise only PS5 players could join the room.
Car driving physics can be done A LOT better even on PS4 (btw. I really hope that it will be better.. especially low speed physics - suspension and tyre). PS5's CPU gives a lot more room for more Interactive objects on track.

Last edited:
There could be cross play if room host sets it "on" on the PS5 (then there would be some limutations) and otherwise only PS5 players could join the room.
Car driving physics can be done A LOT better even on PS4 (btw. I really hope that it will be better.. especially low speed physics - suspension and tyre). PS5's CPU gives a lot more room for more Interactive objects on track.
We will see. I am reaaaaally curious about all that and how they are going to manage it. Also i find much more easier downgrade the cars then the circuits. Are they going to make two versions for every track of the game? One with the new trees and model and for the other one they are going to keep the gtsport version? Right now i found it incomprehensible.

This is good news. It gives me some hope that the PS5 version of GT7 will have more features and technology compared to the PS4 version. Based on this information, it could suggest that GT7 on PS4 is GT Sport+ and therefore won't contain dynamic weather or lighting, whereas the PS5 version will contain those features - along with graphical improvements and better physics. Something like HyperMotion will alter the way FIFA is played from a physics perspective, so why can't a similar thing happen with GT7? The car and track list will most likely be identical so no-one misses out on the new content, but the way the games play and look on the two consoles will be different. I hope.
If it has different physics it's a different game.

They can call both games GT7 if they want, but if they're functionally different then they're different games. Releasing a GT game on PS4 and PS5 might not be a bad idea in the situation (I mean, I don't think so but an argument could probably be made), but don't fool yourself that a game that plays differently across platforms is somehow still the same. Games that look and play different is the textbook definition of "something that is not the same".

We will see. I am reaaaaally curious about all that and how they are going to manage it. Also i find much more easier downgrade the cars then the circuits. Are they going to make two versions for every track of the game? One with the new trees and model and for the other one they are going to keep the gtsport version? Right now i found it incomprehensible.
Every car has multiple LODs* so they can use lower LOD on PS4 and higher LOD on PS5 during gameplay (both versions can use max LOD in photo mode and menu). Enviriomental elements also usually have at least 3 LOD levels so PS4 can use lower LOD or just more aggressive LOD change (shorter distance for higher LOD models). There are many options to make it work but.... it still can make PS4 version look worse than GT Sport (due to more demanding dynamic Time of Day and Waether), run worse (framerate like on GT5 / GT6 on PS3)... and it all still needs more man work...

* Level Of Detail

Last edited:
I really doubt they're going to segregate the playerbase when the whole thing about it being cross-gen is to keep the playerbase. We don't know if physics can be a lot better, because it'll all come down to their vision and where they want to make compromises, if we do get a cross-gen game. Will we get better physics, will we get more cars on a grid, will we get Dynamic TOD AND weather? I'm not so confident in some of those features because I don't think they'd want to make big enough compromises in area's of the game to get them working. If they try to push it all in with minor compromises though, I would expect the PS4 version to look fundamentally worse, and run worse, than GTS.

Anyway right now it looks like a real mess the situation. Hope we are all wrong once we start to grt more infos, see more materials and videos

Last edited:
I think they might be both because some players can't get their hands on a PS5 because the console is too expensive currently.
It's crazy that the consoles have been out for 7 months now and you still can't get your hands on them. I actually feel fortunate to have obtained one.

Last edited:
It's crazy that the consoles have been out for 7 months now and you still can't get your hands on them. I actually feel fortunate to have obtained one.
Interestingly, there hasn't been a Gran Turismo game on two different consoles yet. Only one Gran Turismo game was released on PS4 which was Gran Turismo Sport so far. Sorry for spam. The PS5 is currently out of my budget.

Last edited:
Interestingly, there hasn't been a Gran Turismo game on two different consoles yet. Only one Gran Turismo game was released on PS4 which was Gran Turismo Sport so far.
Split console games like this seem to be a thing now more than ever, by a large margin. The demand for consoles and their availability likely playing a large role in it.

Split console games like this seem to be a thing now more than ever, by a large margin. The demand for consoles and their availability likely playing a large role in it.
Like how Forza Horizon 5 is going to be like this year. I will probably end up with the PS4 version. When Preorders start, I'm going to preorder right from the PlayStation Store.

Like how Forza Horizon 5 is going to be like this year. I will probably end up with the PS4 version. When Preorders start, I'm going to preorder right from the PlayStation Store.
Yeah same thing there. Same for a lot of games really.. Black Ops, Assassins Creed.. For the most part, I think its basically every major title coming out this year.

If it has different physics it's a different game.

They can call both games GT7 if they want, but if they're functionally different then they're different games. Releasing a GT game on PS4 and PS5 might not be a bad idea in the situation (I mean, I don't think so but an argument could probably be made), but don't fool yourself that a game that plays differently across platforms is somehow still the same. Games that look and play different is the textbook definition of "something that is not the same".
Well yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. Two games that share content but play differently. Maybe that's why PD have been forced to delay the release of GT7. Maybe not.

Last edited:
Back