Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
Read this!

PSB: How does PS4 factor into PlayStation Studios’ development vision? Is it still a focus internally for future game development?

Hermen: It very much is. You can’t build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that’d be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business.

Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.

That being said, it’s also very important to have showpieces for PS5, hence the development of Returnal and Ratchet that are exclusive to PS5.
This is literally the subject of this thread, and it's in the first post.

Read this!

PSB: How does PS4 factor into PlayStation Studios’ development vision? Is it still a focus internally for future game development?

Hermen: It very much is. You can’t build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that’d be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business.

Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.

That being said, it’s also very important to have showpieces for PS5, hence the development of Returnal and Ratchet that are exclusive to PS5.
We already know this

I have no idea why the cross-gen idea makes me so mad and unmotivated, but no I can not wait another 5+ years for a PS6 and a NEW gen GT.
Not gonna buy a PS5 if it's on PS4 and I'm really skeptical buying GT7 on PS4.
I don't want to be disappointed. Been waiting so many years and trying to calm my impatience with GTS.
I don't want a N E W GT title with the same features than the previous gen title I've been playing for 4 years.
Or what? PS4 players will have different Nations/Manufacturers schedules or settings? Different races? Different physics? PS4 can't hold dynamic stuff.
If they can somehow make the title in both consoles a masterpiece so we get surprised and amazed, then ok.
Otherwise my only reason for a PS5 in the future, would be GTA 6. And oh boy, that's faaar in the future!...

I have no idea why the cross-gen idea makes me so mad and unmotivated, but no I can not wait another 5+ years for a PS6 and a NEW gen GT.
Not gonna buy a PS5 if it's on PS4 and I'm really skeptical buying GT7 on PS4.
I don't want to be disappointed. Been waiting so many years and trying to calm my impatience with GTS.
I don't want a N E W GT title with the same features than the previous gen title I've been playing for 4 years.
Or what? PS4 players will have different Nations/Manufacturers schedules or settings? Different races? Different physics? PS4 can't hold dynamic stuff.
If they can somehow make the title in both consoles a masterpiece so we get surprised and amazed, then ok.
Otherwise my only reason for a PS5 in the future, would be GTA 6. And oh boy, that's faaar in the future!...
You might know team vvv from alan boiston perhaps on youtube??? he touched on the subject of conversions being made from one game on a certain platform to another platform,and what he said at the time and that still holds true to this day,any conversion made somethings gotta give,it depends what makes the jump that functions and what has to be cut in order to keep the experience the same as much as possible??? See,this is how i see things,basically gt over it's entire existence to this day has sold over 85 million copies and it's competitor closest to it,forza and that is with the horizon installments combined have sold 16 million copies to this day,it stands to reason that as long as gt doesn't have a competitor to compete against them,you'll NEVER gonna see the best what they have to offer in terms of making gt7,which to me when i first saw it,popin included,i knew immediately that it was running on gt sport cause that too has popin on the ps4 (pro as well) and now they re-used that same engine,i'm willing to bet,the delay was not of covid,i think it has to do with the ps4 version to get that up and running as best as possible as well,problem for them that i see is try matching a zen 2 8 core cpu with a jaguar laptop cpu on a ps4,polyphony have an enormous job getting that up and running in the best possible manner they can squeeze out of the old aging 8 year old ps4 tech!

Last edited:
So...

What do you reckon to my GT7 PS4 game box design? :D

"It is important to note that just because GT7 has been developed for PS4, it still might not end up as a PS4 release."

oh my jesus

"It is important to note that just because GT7 has been developed for PS4, it still might not end up as a PS4 release."

oh my jesus
What's the issue you felt needed this quote?

Developers abandon development paths all the time. All we know is that a PS4 development path has been pursued - we don't know the end point so we cannot say for sure that there will be a PS4 version.

It does of course make it more likely that there will be a PS4 version - as we also state in the article - and it's a good deal more advanced than Hulst's "continue to look at" statement. However, we can't report what we don't know to be true.

Indeed, there is a long, long list of abaondoned projects, GT 2002, GT HD Concept, GT HD and those are just a few by Polyphony. But it seems highly likely GT7 will be cross gen based on the evidence now. Which is not what I wanted, but let's see how the game ends up now. I will reserve judgement for when it's released, but I will judge it harshly if there are clear compromises made for the purpose of being cross-gen.

Indeed, there is a long, long list of abaondoned projects, GT 2002, GT HD Concept, GT HD and those are just a few by Polyphony. But it seems highly likely GT7 will be cross gen based on the evidence now. Which is not what I wanted, but let's see how the game ends up now. I will reserve judgement for when it's released, but I will judge it harshly if there are clear compromises made for the purpose of being cross-gen.
I'm also waiting, and me skipping GTS will likely lead to me picking this up either way. Seeing the compromises they had to make just to make it a last gen game I'm wondering what will be taking a hit, because it seems inevitable at this point that something will.

From the datamine info in GTS, they have been working on tracks like trial mountain in the GTS engine format for awhile now. It would be very PD to never use it in GTS and just be a testbed for GT7. Meaning those tracks developed on PS4 first which makes sense.

From the datamine info in GTS, they have been working on tracks like trial mountain in the GTS engine format for awhile now. It would be very PD to never use it in GTS and just be a testbed for GT7. Meaning those tracks developed on PS4 first which makes sense.
Has anyone managed to actually load and race on those tracks in GTS or is it just file names?

I ask because Kaz has already confirmed they did import some original tracks into the game but the scales were all over the place, he psecifically mentioned curbs bigger than cars as one problem. So it could be data from GT6 rather than data created for GT7, though either is possible and it's certainly not uncommon for developers to test assets and features planned for a future game in this way at times.

Well now it's essentially confirmed the year+ delay was for building the PS4 version I doubt they will scrap it, that'd be bad management. They have committed to it now.

What is most worrying is that it seems this was a Sony decision midway through production, which obviously means when PD started their vision for GT7 didn't factor in PS4.

That's even worse than if they had started with both in mind, because at least then they would plan around them both. Now they'll have had to adapt, or remove things entirely, once they were told.

In my experience projects created in that manner rarely turn out well, but let's hope GT7 bucks the trend.

Has anyone managed to actually load and race on those tracks in GTS or is it just file names?

I ask because Kaz has already confirmed they did import some original tracks into the game but the scales were all over the place, he psecifically mentioned curbs bigger than cars as one problem. So it could be data from GT6 rather than data created for GT7, though either is possible and it's certainly not uncommon for developers to test assets and features planned for a future game in this way at times.
Just names as far as I know. And totally could be like you say they just put the old track in there to see running. But there are a lot of listings with "test_" in the name and then just the plain name which is more inline with the other ingame tracks. Which I would guess means a more finalized version and a track like Daytona even has rain conditions listed like Tokyo in the day, dawn and night.

Isn't that normal though? I know Forza does this often as well, as you'd find content files that never show up within their game, sometimes coming at a way later date, some even coming out on the next iteration.

Last edited:
Well now it's essentially confirmed the year+ delay was for building the PS4 version I doubt they will scrap it, that'd be bad management. They have committed to it now.

What is most worrying is that it seems this was a Sony decision midway through production, which obviously means when PD started their vision for GT7 didn't factor in PS4.

That's even worse than if they had started with both in mind, because at least then they would plan around them both. Now they'll have had to adapt, or remove things entirely, once they were told.

In my experience projects created in that manner rarely turn out well, but let's hope GT7 bucks the trend.
nah its opposite, if indeed they started gt7 as ps5 ex I think they will not remove already developed features, they can separate titles for example not fia in ps4 version or even not crossgen play in multiplayer at all (so in addition no dynamic weather in ps4 etc)

Last edited:
It's probably the same reason why Horizon Forbidden West has been delayed to 2022. In my opinion it's a blow for both games which were hyped up as PS5 exclusives a few months ago. If Sony screw this up there'll be a lot of disgruntled players.

Last edited:
Don't know if this would be possible, but the best case scenario is if GT7 can be made as a legitimate PS5 game, and the PS4 version of GT7 is the "discount" version of the PS5 one (like many mobile version of a console game), but you can access your accounts in both of those games, and to make sure the PS4 version won't get in the way of the PS5 one, do things like making sure the PS4 can't do things like joining PS5 lobbies and vice-versa.

Don't know if this would be possible, but the best case scenario is if GT7 can be made as a legitimate PS5 game, and the PS4 version of GT7 is the "discount" version of the PS5 one (like many mobile version of a console game), but you can access your accounts in both of those games, and to make sure the PS4 version won't get in the way of the PS5 one, do things like making sure the PS4 can't do things like joining PS5 lobbies and vice-versa.
There's no way on God's Green Earth that PD or Sony would allow PS4/PS5 specific lobbies with the FIA competitions holding this game on stilts above the water.

snc
nah its opposite, if indeed they started gt7 as ps5 ex I think they will not remove already developed features, they can separate titles for example not fia in ps4 version or even not crossgen play in multiplayer at all (so in addition no dynamic weather in ps4 etc)
They're not going to make two different games, they are going to be fundamentally the same game or they can't call them both GT7.

You might get bigger lobbies on PS5 and obviously better graphics but feature wise, I'm pretty certain they will be identical.

Back