Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
They're not going to make two different games, they are going to be fundamentally the same game or they can't call them both GT7.

You might get bigger lobbies on PS5 and obviously better graphics but feature wise, I'm pretty certain they will be identical.
Unfortunately, I think this will be case...

Last edited:
After seeing the news, im waiting for gt8 now :(
It will probably be another 4 years after 2022 to get a true next-gen GT8 which is just baffling. Gonna re-quote the Remedy dev.

• "Whenever you're in this cross-generational point, to be blunt, it sucks. You have to support the previous gen, make sure that sings, and then whatever you bring to next-gen is still limited by the choices you made years ago for the previous generation. It's not a very realistic thing, that this old game, we're just going to remake everything and then bring it to next-gen. It's just not like that. It's not a reality for us, because you're literally taking away resources that are building the future games and improving the engine for the future."

What's worse is Polyphony resources and devs won't even be able to fully shift to next-gen even after GT7 releases since GT7 will probably be another games-as-a-service title with long post-launch support, so the dev resources will still be stuck working on PS4 content/gameplay updates/engine features that has to run at 60fps on base PS4 long after 2022. It's a ridiculous title to force cross-gen on this late into the generation when GT7 releases.

It's probably the same reason why Horizon Forbidden West has been delayed to 2022. In my opinion it's a blow for both games which were hyped up as PS5 exclusives a few months ago. If Sony screw this up there'll be a lot of disgruntled players.
Horizon FW was always a cross-gen PS4 game; Sony confirmed it was cross-gen a couple months after the reveal.

Last edited:
They're not going to make two different games, they are going to be fundamentally the same game or they can't call them both GT7.

You might get bigger lobbies on PS5 and obviously better graphics but feature wise, I'm pretty certain they will be identical.
are you working at pd ?:) we don't know it, there are many examples when crossgen games had different features (or even run on different engine)

Last edited:
forza horizon 2 was on different engine on x360 and x one (two different studio works on x360 version and x one even it still has same name), fifa 2022 will be on old engine on pc old consoles vs new on ps5/xsx, wreckfest on ps5 allow to 24 players on multiplayer but only 16 on ps4

Last edited:
snc
forza horizon 2 were on different engine on x360 and x one (two different studio works on x360 version and x one even it still has same name), fifa 2022 will be on old engine on pc old consoles vs new on ps5/xsx, wreckfest on ps5 allow to 24 players on multiplayer but only 16 on ps4
I already said they may have different lobby sizes and FIFA 2022 as far as I've read is just visual animation differences. Fundamentally it will still be the same game. There is no standalone feature present on PS5 that isn't on PS4, which is what I was talking about.

So Forza is really the only example of a vastly different game and as you say, that's because it wasn't even developed by the original studio and it was a long time ago.

In terms of modern, first party Sony PS4 and PS5 cross gen games they are all fundamentally the same games on each platform. As are most third party games, AFAIK.

The list of games with differences is far shorter than the one where they are the same.

So Forza is really the only example of a vastly different game and as you say, that's because it wasn't even developed by the original studio and it was a long time ago.
As far as I can remember, FH2 is probably one of the only games that has ever done it like that, and not only that, it didn't have different features either. It was just a worse off game than it's next-gen version. I don't think any current games have done anything remotely the same.

snc
forza horizon 2 was on different engine on x360 and x one (two different studio works on x360 version and x one even it still has same name), fifa 2022 will be on old engine on pc old consoles vs new on ps5/xsx, wreckfest on ps5 allow to 24 players on multiplayer but only 16 on ps4
None of those are different features.

Last edited:
snc
That's like saying BF2048 is so different compared to last gen and next gen...

Only differences being in lobby sizes and map sizes.

What you got on FH2 X360 is almost the exact same as in FH2 XOne, it's not a 1:1 port, but you had the most requested features. And the case with FIFA, as @Samus said, visually speaking is different, but you get the same game...

Do you want to talk about a real cross-gen title? There might be a game which was synchronically released on PS1 and PS2, that's when you see differences.

I already said they may have different lobby sizes and FIFA 2022 as far as I've read is just visual animation differences. Fundamentally it will still be the same game. There is no standalone feature present on PS5 that isn't on PS4, which is what I was talking about.

In terms of modern, first party Sony PS4 and PS5 cross gen games they are all fundamentally the same games on each platform. As are most third party games, AFAIK.

The list of games with differences is far shorter than the one where they are the same.
only animation lol ;d they are based on machine learning and its biggest feature introduce to fifa since forever ;) I'm not saying pd will go this road but 1) other studios did it so its possible 2) if they started gt7 as ps5 ex (which I'm not sure) its natural way to go to make ps4 version by cutting some features not possible by hw limits edit: has very good other example Shadow of Mordor: completly lack of nemesis system on x360 which was like fundametal feature for this game

Last edited:
That's like saying BF2048 is so different compared to last gen and next gen...

Only differences being in lobby sizes and map sizes.

What you got on FH2 X360 is almost the exact same as in FH2 XOne, it's not a 1:1 port, but you had the most requested features. And the case with FIFA, as @Samus said, visually speaking is different, but you get the same game...

Do you want to talk about a real cross-gen title? There might be a game which was synchronically released on PS1 and PS2, that's when you see differences.
and @ImaRobot
Shadow of Mordor: completly lack of nemesis system on x360 which was like fundametal feature for this game

Last edited:
snc
only animation lol ;d they are based on machine learning and its biggest feature introduce to fifa since forever ;) I'm not saying pd will go this road but 1) other studios did it so its possible 2) if they started gt7 as ps5 ex (which I'm not sure) its natural way to go to make ps4 version by cutting some features not possible by hw limits edit: has very good other example Shadow of Mordor: completly lack of nemesis system on x360 which was like fundametal feature for this game
You named one game that at the most, is using different animations. I think anyone would be hard pressed to call that a feature. There are animations in both games, one just uses one with more oomph. That almost flows in line with things like raising player counts in lobbies.

And very much like Forza Horizon 2, Shadow of Mordor was a 360/One cross console game, and not only that, but it follows the same route of being in both generations but being pumped up in the latter. It's not a missing feature, it's a dumbed down feature as far as I can tell. Just like we'll be seeing for the PS4 version of GT - They'll be the same game, offering the same features with the PS4 being dumbed down, but also with the PS5 being watered down because of it being cross-gen.

Last edited:
You named one game that at the most, is using different animations. I think anyone would be hard pressed to call that a feature. There are animations in both games, one just uses one with more oomph. That almost flows in line with things like raising player counts in lobbies.

And very much like Forza Horizon 2, Shadow of Mordor was a 360/One cross console game, and not only that, but it follows the same route of being in both generations but being pumped up in the latter. It's not a missing feature, it's a dumbed down feature as far as I can tell. Just like we'll be seeing for the PS4 version of GT - They'll be the same game, offering the same features with the PS4 being dumbed down, but also with the PS5 being watered down because of it being cross-gen.
ok if you think games releasend on different engines, animatons based on machine learning its not feature and nemesis system wasn't important in shadow of mordor its for me simple trolling and will not waste my time (even bigger lobbies is feature that many and also me was afraid its not possible because of poor jaguar perf but clearly its possible if you separate games in some level)

Last edited:
snc
ok if you think games releasend on different engines, animatons based on machine learning its not feature and nemesis system wasn't important in shadow of mordor its for me simple trolling and will not waste my time (even bigger lobbies is feature that many and also me was afraid its not possible because of poor jaguar perf but clearly its possible if you separate games in some level)
You've provided very little examples, and the ones you have provided don't really amount to much more than things that are in both games but the more powerful console has them pumped up a bit, very much like upping the car count on a grid, or higher frames on games this gen.

Those aren't additional features, those are features that are made better with the help of a more powerful console. The whole point of making this game cross-gen is to not segregate the playerbase. I also never said the nemesis system is not important - I quite literally said it's in both games but one was dumbed down. Very much the point of the whole discussion, that these games don't have different features, the weaker console just has dumbed down features. However, both features are still available in both games still. If you simply cant understand that, then yes, you're right, you're wasting your time.

I feel bad for people who purchased a PS5 expecting a proper next gen gran turismo on their new console. How in the hell Sony get away with false advertising? Where's the backlash? This is ridiculous. They pretty much lied straight to our face.
If they marketed this game as cross gen from the start it wouldn't be an issue but they announced it as fully next gen. If this was Microsoft, they probably had tons of backlash right now. What a joke.

Pretty much ruined my hype for this game.

Last edited:
I dont think we live in a universe where Polyphony Kaz will allow a 2nd studio to make a neutered version of GT7 on ps4....

The real REAL driving simiulator is on PS5 but you can get a real FAKE facsimile of GT7 on PS4 courtesy of Sumo Digital. Really?

snc
I don't play FIFA games so I'm only going by what a search told me, that they're visual animations. They're not a gameplay difference, that affect how the game plays, but as I say I don't play the games so do correct me If I'm wrong. I guess if they are you could consider them a visual feature, but not a gameplay feature.

I may be dreaming but I'm sure a while back there was an article stating that GT7 moved to cross gen production relatively recently, unlike other games like Horizon that were much earlier. Does anyone recall the article/story I'm thinking of? Probably an "insider" type thing? Besides we also had the trailers text which switched from "In development for PS5" to just PS after the delay, which is further evidence this wasn't cross gen from the start but PS5 exclusive turned cross gen.

Obviously it all depends on what PD had already done as a PS5 game and if it all does scale. Just don't expect the PS5 version to have any significant exclusive gameplay features is all I'm saying. If they're cross play then the physics will have to be the same for one, as will many other things. Penalty system, weather/time of day. It will all have to be consistent or it won't work.

That's really the big difference in your Shadow of Mordor example, that is a single player game. It doesn't matter if they play a bit differently. With an online cross play game, it does, and I don't see them segregating them when the whole point of the exercise is to have more people playing together.

I don't play FIFA games so I'm only going by what a search told me, that they're visual animations. They're not a gameplay difference, that affect how the game plays, but as I say I don't play the games so do correct me If I'm wrong. I guess if they are you could consider them a visual feature, but not a gameplay feature.

I may be dreaming but I'm sure a while back there was an article stating that GT7 moved to cross gen production relatively recently, unlike other games like Horizon that were much earlier. Does anyone recall the article/story I'm thinking of? Probably an "insider" type thing? Besides we also had the trailers text which switched from "In development for PS5" to just PS after the delay, which is further evidence this wasn't cross gen from the start but PS5 exclusive turned cross gen.

Obviously it all depends on what PD had already done as a PS5 game and if it all does scale. Just don't expect the PS5 version to have any significant exclusive gameplay features is all I'm saying. If they're cross play then the physics will have to be the same for one, as will many other things. Penalty system, weather/time of day. It will all have to be consistent or it won't work.

That's really the big difference in your Shadow of Mordor example, that is a single player game. It doesn't matter if they play a bit differently. With an online cross play game, it does, and I don't see them segregating them when the whole point of the exercise is to have more people playing together.
"I'm sure a while back there was an article stating that GT7 moved to cross gen production relatively recently" - for me its was like educative guess and no source in this article. I showed few examples with clear feature differential but will no spend more time on it. For sure its possible to separate games and I hope pd will do it, thats all.

Last edited:
I feel bad for people who purchased a PS5 expecting a proper next gen gran turismo on their new console. How in the hell Sony get away with false advertising? Where's the backlash? This is ridiculous. They pretty much lied straight to our face.
If they marketed this game as cross gen from the start it wouldn't be an issue but they announced it as fully next gen. If this was Microsoft, they probably had tons of backlash right now. What a joke.

Pretty much ruined my hype for this game.
Maybe its because im from a different generation but if you buy a console you typically buy it with the game you want to play…so if one bought the ps5 with no gt7 i dont know what say but i dont feel bad if gt7 is crap on the console, but my guess is it will be a somewhat decent game

snc
"I'm sure a while back there was an article stating that GT7 moved to cross gen production relatively recently" - for me its was like educative guess and no source in this article. I showed few examples with clear feature differential but will no spend more time on it. For sure its possible to separate games and I hope pd will do it, thats all.
They actually really aren't clear, as what you listed is basically available in both forms of the game, just one has it better off. Fifa has animations in both game, one game is getting a pumped up version. Much like Shadow of Mordor Nemesis' system being available in both games, but the PS4 version getting a more vibrant version of it. That's akin to how all the games are doing it currently, they aren't removing features and games aren't having different features than the console before it, they are just getting amped up in some parts while conforming both games to the exact same structure with the same features.

I hope they wont make different features for the different consoles, that sounds ridiculous and would defeat the purpose of making it widely available and keep the playerbase intact.

Last edited:
I may be dreaming but I'm sure a while back there was an article stating that GT7 moved to cross gen production relatively recently
One of the outlets that reported on Hulst's statement as an outright confirmation (which it wasn't) did indeed drop this gem into the copy, with a "we understand that" before it, citing a source at PD.

Although we can't share our source either, indications from it are that the process started a lot longer back than merely "recently" - before the game was ever announced - which does beg the question of why "PlayStation 5 Exclusive" appeared on so much early advertising. Some possibilities spring to mind, such as a development path that had been pursued but abandoned and which PS Studios have instructed is to be revived more recently than the initial promotional push.

I hope they wont make different features for the different consoles
At this point it does seem a hard, mandated line. I can't think of another explanation as to why there isn't a single cross-gen 8-into-9 game that has even a single additional feature, only extant features boosted by additional processing power and storage.

I suppose that, in principle, something like dynamic weather is still just a boosted feature rather than a new one; GTS has different weather (fixed temperatures, fixed precipitation) so GT7 should too, and PS5GT7 will get a dynamic version. That will affect the career mode though - imagine 24h races in fixed weather/light on PS4, just like we used to get on PS2/GT4, while the PS5 version gets full weather patterns, day/night cycles and a larger grid. It will also affect multiplayer if cross-gen play is available, with PS4 players not seeing changes of weather or time and probably not feeling them either - and I doubt PS5 owners will be happy that PS4 players can sod off into the distance on a dry track while it's raining on PS5 (or vice versa).

Last edited:
I wonder what Sony and PD's strategy is by not being explicit about something so important. Keep it vague until close to release to not turn people off early? Usual PD silence until a sudden information blowout? Leak is wrong and they're still figuring it out (I don't doubt the source though)? Just outright stating that they're still figuring it out would be better than this crazy amount of digging and speculation we have to do. It's just another layer of frustration on top of now knowing we're getting a GT that has to compromise for what will be 9 and 6 year old consoles.

The confirmation was a real letdown. I was hoping for something else but that hope has been replaced with disappointment.

The last little thing to hope for is that they will do one of 2 things. Disable cross play between PS4 and PS5, which is unlikely, or at least let the PS5 players have the advantages that it offers over the PS4 players.

But we can say good bye to anything really interesting that might have taken advantage of the PS5 special features.

The worst bit is that PD is having to support two versions with their limited resources. That doesn't promise anything good for future updates and a real PS5 Gran Turismo version. I expect to see that in 2027 at the earliest 👀

That's just a lie. The X360 version had the nemesis system, it was just reduced in complexity. Which sucked, but scaling features to meet hardware capabilities is not the same as outright removal of core parts of the game.
ok thx for info, I found this on resetera forum, never has x360, but what I read now on eurogamer was reduced quite dramaticaly
Is it passable? For the 360 release we'd argue it is - barely - but it does push the threshold. The combat and parkour mechanics are intact on both platforms, but unique features such as the Nemesis system are simplified. On PS4 and Xbox One, enemies generated from the Uruk hierarchy would mix traits in appearance, animations, voice samples, rank, and location - a dynamic that keeps each encounter fresh. These last-gen releases still place enemies in a similar shifting hierarchy, but the variables are radically reduced, impinging on the sense that each playthrough is unique.
So thereticaly same could be done in gt7 with dynamic weather system. Just example.

snc
ok thx for info, I found this on resetera forum, never has x360, but what I read now on eurogamer was reduced quite dramaticaly

So thereticaly same could be done in gt7 with dynamic weather system. Just example.
I wouldn't expect as much to be honest. At the absolute most, I would expect that it would be exclusive to an offline mode for PS5 users specifically. With the delay being only a year(so far) It would make sense to develop for a singular experience in order to actually get this game out in a timely fashion. If it gets delayed again, who knows what'll happen at that point.

It's always on sale. :P:sly:
Give it about a week after release and he'll be right back with us.

Last edited:
I don't understand why can't they just officially announce the game as cross gen already, all of this just creates more confusion and dissatisfaction from fans. What a horrible marketing, they need to get rid whoever behind this cross gen thing. The worst part of it all is, they forced PD to make a separate version in the middle of development of GT7, I'm no developer but that just sounds like hell to me.

I don't understand why can't they just officially announce the game as cross gen already, all of this just creates more confusion and dissatisfaction from fans. What a horrible marketing, they need to get rid whoever behind this cross gen thing. The worst part of it all is, they forced PD to make a separate version in the middle of development of GT7, I'm no developer but that just sounds like hell to me.
They know they don't need to. Fans will almost certainly buy it anyway and casuals don't even know anything is going on. The first they'll hear of it is next year when they announce it officially (most likely), or for the super casual when they pick it up on the shelf.

Last edited:
Maybe they're just testing the water with this cross-gen nugget of news. Gauging what the fan community thinks of the idea before committing to a concrete announcement. They've already gone from PS5 exclusive to it being a cross-gen release. There's nothing to stop them from going back on that and making it a PS5 exclusive again.

Back