Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
That's alot of overreaction for something that isn't official and is at best stated as "Could" happen. Once again though, people can't even wait for an official confirmation before Drawing lines in the sand.

Last edited:
I'm pretty appalled at the comments you guys are making. Even IF GT7 doesn't look as good as it could, even IF it doesn't have dynamic weather and instead has prebaked weather: are you guys not excited with the come back of a proper, good Gran Turismo Mode? You're all the reason racing games have crap single player modes, crappy AI, and focus more on online content. YOU'RE the ones who keep pushing graphics updates when the GT Sport photo mode already looks closer to real life than any other GT game. Can't you have faith for once that Polyphony will deliver for once?

But we don't know yet if GT7's GT mode is good and proper. How can we be excited about it, we haven't seen it?

As someone who replayed GT5 and 6 recently the GT mode is worse than I remember, especially in GT6. There's no actual racing, just catching the car with a massive lead and AI drivers that brake as you pass them. I sure don't want that to come back at all, single player needs a major overhaul IMO.

Don’t you get any ideas Turn 10!

I am pretty sure they won't. I don't see how tha 0.9 TF XB One should run a 2022 racing game developed basically from scratch - which i hope they do because if Forza Motorsport comes out in 2022 then it will be 5 years since FM7. No effing way they would make this for the last gen too.
GT7 builds clearly on GT Sport, that was very clear from the footage shown. Forzas in-engine footage looked vastly superior to FM7.

But we don't know yet if GT7's GT mode is good and proper. How can we be excited about it, we haven't seen it?

As someone who replayed GT5 and 6 recently the GT mode is worse than I remember, especially in GT6. There's no actual racing, just catching the car with a massive lead and AI drivers that brake as you pass them. I sure don't want that to come back at all, single player needs a major overhaul IMO.
You're already assuming the worst, that's what I'm mad about. The PS3 era was a very difficult time for programmers, so naturally they would have to cut on development time wherever they could. Consoles aren't changing CPU architectures on every generation anymore: everyone is much more familiar with X86-64 than they were with CELL or the MIPS cpu of the PS2. If you ask me, this is the best spot PD has been in for game developing in a while.

Last edited:
So... GT Sport with the one thing that it needed to be good? Is that a problem somehow?

Yes. It makes the pivot into eSports and subsequent crawling back to those who rightfully said no to a game that was in essence online only and focused mostly upon competitive racing with a lackluster single player suite absolutely pointless. And the same basic problems present with GT Sport are going to be present within GT7, if they are going to be using the same systems and framework with a cross gen title instead of building for next gen in mind.

Cross gen GT in 2022 (or later) ? Hard to believe honestly. Everyone will be rocking a PS5 by then. Also those dynamic clouds/time of day from the trailer on base PS4 ? Don't see it.
Welp time of day at least in that trailer isn't shown, the timelapse shot of the clouds didn't feature the sun moving.

2013 GT6: "It's a game for last gen, but we promise our next game on the new console will be amazing!"

2017 GT Sport: "It's a spinoff game for eSports with very little features in-favor of competitive play. Kinda like a prologue, but we promise our next game will have tons of content!"

GT7: "It's a crossgen game, so all those things we couldn't add to GT Sport because of PS4 hardware limitations like dynamic weather, will effect the PS5 version too. BUT DON'T WORRY, WE PROMISE THE NEXT GAME WILL BE EVEN BETTER."

This last decade of GT feels like it has been nothing but compromises. I would really hate it if we get more of the same, with GT7 going with crossgen.

Oh well, at least my PS5 won't overheat like a PS4 would if they released GT7 with backwards compatibility.

This and if it comes on PC, my bro will be the proud owner of a PS5!

You're already assuming the worst, that's what I'm mad about. The PS3 era was a very difficult time for programmers, so naturally they would have to cut on development time wherever they could. Consoles aren't changing CPU architectures on every generation anymore: everyone is much more familiar with X86-64 than they were with CELL or the MIPS cpu of the PS2. If you ask me, this is the best spot PD has been in for game developing in a while.

But I'm not assuming anything, we don't know anything about GT mode, you said it's going to be proper and good which is, you know, an assumption.

A cross-gen game is going to be constrained by old hardware, that's a fact not an assumption. People are also mad because Sony straight up lied about PS5 exclusivity.

To think we might not get a proper next gen GT until 2026 or later.. it's crazy to me.

Last edited:
I mean, sidestepping the glorified "this time PD will get it right because X" argument, what does any of this have to do with the post you were responding to? The AI in GT6 wasn't trash because they only spent 2 years making a glorified expansion pack to GT5; particularly when it was better in GT5.

Last edited:
I'm pretty appalled at the comments you guys are making. Even IF GT7 doesn't look as good as it could, even IF it doesn't have dynamic weather and instead has prebaked weather: are you guys not excited with the come back of a proper, good Gran Turismo Mode? You're all the reason racing games have crap single player modes, crappy AI, and focus more on online content. YOU'RE the ones who keep pushing graphics updates when the GT Sport photo mode already looks closer to real life than any other GT game. Can't you have faith for once that Polyphony will deliver for once?
The last sentence in your post says a lot. If a game is being held back by staggeringly weaker hardware than no, I see no point in a new GT game. At that point, they could just stick with GTS and expand off it and call it a day. There would be no need to cash-grab a new game at that point since it's going to be held back if it is cross gen.

Either way, most of your post makes little sense. People wanting a game not to be held back is the reason they have bad aspects? Where's the logic in that.

Well you're getting mad for no reason then, because what people assume really shouldn't matter all that much. The best spot to be in by holding themselves back by potentially producing a cross gen game causing themselves to not be able to take advantage of new hardware that Sony literally just released?

If the next NFS game is cross-generation too (which seems likely, considering that Carbon, ProStreet, and Undercover were on PS2/PS3 while Rivals was on PS3/PS4) then I will likely have no reason to get a PS5, especially with the reveal that the new Battlefield will also be on PS4/PS5. I suppose it'll seriously depend on what the PS5 version of GT7 (and the other aforementioned cross-gen games) will offer over its PS4 counterpart.

EDIT: Like, if the PS5 version of GT7 offers a larger field of cars, then that'd be an example of something that'd incentivize me to actually get a PS5. Heck, I'm not even sure if dynamic weather/time-of-day would've been solely possible on PS5. It very well could've been that PD couldn't get the GT Sport version of the feature to work they way they wanted it to in time for release. Whereas if they had more time/money, they might've been able to get it to work.

Last edited:
Don’t you get any ideas Turn 10!
Luckily that would not be the case. From what has said about FM Rebooted in the streams, it's definently next-gen only. The tire model so far is sounding to be a HUGE improvement. More news will be shared this summer about FM's playtests and more with Chris Esaki. :)

Nobody has a ps5 and they have to sell the game. They will all be cross gen for 2 years.

They pushed back both gow2 and horizon2 and announced ps4 versions.

F122 and wrc11 will probably be the first racing titles with ps5 in mind.

However not interested in gt a anymore, after the unacceptable gt6. Bored by mixed cars on fake tracks.

Last edited:
I hope this is true myself, makes business sense to do so. True next gen titles are still years away given the development times involved, and why would this generation transition be any different to the last? I can see this maintaining the player base during the generation transition. Bet there's a myriad of technical hurdles to allow gameplay parity between the generations. I would happily lose resolution to get higher FPS, gameplay is way more important than graphics.

Nobody has a ps5 and they have to sell the game. They will all be cross gen for 2 years.

There are 7 million PS5’s out there now. A console has quite literally never sold more consoles this quickly. They’re predicting to sell 18m by the end of 2021. That figure might be double (or more) by the time GT7 launches.

Why do console manufacturers make any games during the first 2-3 years if that’s the excuse? GT7 will be an evergreen title that sells for as long as it’s out. This shouldn’t be the reason they need to stick it on PS4.

So if this is true wouldn't the game come out faster since they're probably just reusing GTS's assets?
Developing for two consoles instead of one doesn't seem like it would be faster in any form. Assets would be reused regardless, even if it was strictly a PS5 game as they aren't building from the ground up.

It would be better if they make some sort of ps5 upgrade for GTsport and add a new year of DLC (cars/tracks). And take that time to work on GT7. That way they could add crossplay for the online events and release GT7 when there are more units sold. Pre ordered the ps5 as GT7 would be a launch title, but now its basically just a more silent ps4.

tenor.gif

That's alot of overreaction for something that isn't official and is at best stated as "Could" happen. Once again though, people can't even wait for an official confirmation before Drawing lines in the sand.
It was in the same sentence as God of War and Horizon Forbidden West. It's confirmed.

Back