Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
OK sure, he's important. I already knew that. But why are you trying so hard to make it seem like this is 100% official confirmation?

Why would someone in his position specifically name drop GT7 when talking about crossgen titles alongside one that's already confirmed to be crossgen (Horizon) if it's not a done deal?

Speaking personally, I'd 100% skip GT7 if it turns out to be crossgen in 2022. I bought a PS5 to play "next gen" games, not delayed releases still handicapped by 9 year old hardware. There's just no point.

Last edited:
Look, I know a lot of you are thinking GT7 will be bad for PS4 and they PD made the wrong move which is right anyways. But what if it won't be as bad on PS5 still.

When Black Ops 3 released on PS4, definitely better graphics etc, when it was also released on PS3, not that great graphics at all etc.

So what if GT7 still released the well deserved Ray tracing and graphic hancing magic on PS5 anyways and the much better game that we need while the PS4 version may not look great in terms of graphics etc but runs to similar performance like GT Sport. So if anyone who can't afford a PS5 can still get the game for PS4 but it will not look and perform that great while the console exclusive on PS5 runs much more better, cleaner and better content that it has to offer.

I'm just trying to prove a point here, not to let it run into a never-ending argument between the console versions.

Look, I know a lot of you are thinking GT7 will be bad for PS4 and they PD made the wrong move which is right anyways. But what if it won't be as bad on PS5 still.

When Black Ops 3 released on PS4, definitely better graphics etc, when it was also released on PS3, not that great graphics at all etc.

So what if GT7 still released the well deserved Ray tracing and graphic hancing magic on PS5 anyways and the much better game that we need while the PS4 version may not look great in terms of graphics etc but runs to similar performance like GT Sport. So if anyone who can't afford a PS5 can still get the game for PS4 but it will not look and perform that great while the console exclusive on PS5 runs much more better, cleaner and better content that it has to offer.

I'm just trying to prove a point here, not to let it run into a never-ending argument between the console versions.
Working on a two different consoles take
a lot of time and this is PD we're talking about. A lot of fans just want to play a new GT on their new shiny console at this point. I don't think they would want to wait another couple of years for that.

Last edited:
It isn't really a cross platform game. It's just that the PS5 happens to be backwards compatible with the PS4. GT SPORT wasn't designed for the PS5 which is why It's exactly the same as the PS4 Pro version.

It's no longer 1997 though. Things have moved on, including the competition. People have choises now. If GT7 isn't good enough, chances are they will buy something else. Static weather, low quality tracks that as someone mentioned, look like they've been made in GT6's track editor and flat 2D trees in 2021 (or 2022) is unacceptable for a AAA game that has been in development for years.
Yeah, I'm one of those people that made choices to buy the GRID, PC and AC titles.

Backwards compatible, cross-gen, cross platform. Having people play the same game, on different systems, is the same thing.

Again, I know it bothers many, but it doesn't bother me and the other players it does not bother. If it comes out on both systems, I'll also buy it on PS5, when they're fully stocked on JB Hi-Fi shelves.
If it's PS5 exclusive, I'll just have to wait.

I guess the FIA events will give us an indication how close PD are to releasing GT7. If top players don't have a PS5 and GT7 is indeed PS5 exclusive, it'll be an interesting scenario.

And to think I just had just posted this idea in another thread a week or so ago and got beat up about it. Seem this old man knows a thing or two after all.

If GT7 on PS5 can be it's own game and the console exclusive it should be and not a port from PS4, then maybe a PS4 version might not be as bad but not the best for those who are trying to get their hands on the new console and can't get one at a cheaper/normal retail price.

This is an amusing idea, considering I think I've switched back from Xbox/Playstation to PC for what I can't get on a Nintendo console. Time will tell. It also makes me think of Forza Horizon 2 for XB360.

I think I'll bite on my PS4 Slim if GT7 is anything like what I'd want from it. I don't expect a revolution -- mainly just JDM cars that aren't available in other titles, with offline singleplayer gameplay and handling that doesn't thwart my intentions as badly as Forza games do. Preferably including a Legacy B4 2.0GT!

Yes, but GT3 came after two very successful games... GT7 is coming after a game that didn't sell hugely.
GT Sport was at 8 milion copies sold the last year so it was pretty successful game...so no i don't think it's that.
Probably it will sell even less than GTS since the game will be very criticized due to the lack of technical innovations being held back by the ps4 hardware

People really love assuming things that aren’t stated to be fact around here, don’t they?

Until it starts making its way into marketing material and/or PD officially mentions it, there is no cross platform release. It is still a PS5 exclusive as of now. Some passing remark in an interview with a high-up suit who may not know everything 100% for certain is not official confirmation.
You guys are factually correct that there was no hard confirmation or announcement outright about GT7 being cross-gen.

But let me just put on my "Head of PlayStation Studios" and Polyphony Digital, Board Members, Director fancy titles, ask marketing "Senior Director, SIE Content Communications" (who we can shift the blame for any miscommunication :rolleyes:) to put together a "what’s to come" Q&A information dump blog post, address that it would be "bad news" with "over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it", follow up with "where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5" and then very specifically name drop GT7, knowing very well that phrase would absolutely cause ripples of mass destruction across internet forums, comments, and news headlines during pre-E3 season console warring where every company is on the hot seat, only to say "just joking, we never meant it, we had no intention" later.

:confused:

If GT7 on PS5 can be it's own game and the console exclusive it should be and not a port from PS4, then maybe a PS4 version might not be as bad but not the best for those who are trying to get their hands on the new console and can't get one at a cheaper/normal retail price.

If we look at Horizon Forbidden West, it looks like this game will have its own PS5 version. (It will be difficult for the PS4 to run that way)

In my opinion there is no reason to despair, whoever wants a more refined version, buy a PS5.

Holy overdramatics in this thread. :lol: Let's all draw conclusions on a sentence with the most open-ended ending imaginable shall we??

Limiting a game which one's most prominent features is supposed to be showcasing your new controller's capabilities, is about as ludicrous as the overblown reactions in this thread, and I'm only the first page in.. :rolleyes:

I've heard game hype gets wild here, but let's get a grip here.

As for dynamic weather, aren't there games for ps4 with it? And with dynamic day/night cycle? If there are, then maybe they will implement it in both versions of gt7. The way i see it they have three options: option 1: both ps4 and ps5 will have dynamic weather and time of day. Option 2: ps4 will not have them, but ps5 version will have both modes, dynamic and static for crossplay with ps4. And option 3, the worst one: gt7 will not have dynamic weather and day cycle on both ps4 and ps5.
Yes there are PS4 games with dynamic time and weather. GT5 and GT6 had it on the PS3 so the PS4 can certainly handle it. PD just chose not to include it.

I don't really care if it's cross-gen. I'll buy a PS5 eventually (if they can keep them in stock long enough)

The Crew series also has dynamic time and weather.

Last edited:
Ok hold on…. Completely unsubstantiated claim here, but has anyone considered the possibility of a GT7 Prologue? It’s not like that’s never happened before. GT7P could be a cheap crossgen teaser game while we await the PS5 exclusive GT7 with full PS5-packed features

Nice to see the internet overreact over video games again.

Honestly, from the reveal trailer, it just looked like GT Sport mixed with GT4 with better graphics. And I'm fine with that as GT4 is considered my personal peak GT title.

Besides, even if it's cross-gen, there's nothing really stopping PD from giving more attention to the PS5 version over time.

Last edited:
If we look at Horizon Forbidden West, it looks like this game will have its own PS5 version. (It will be difficult for the PS4 to run that way)

In my opinion there is no reason to despair, whoever wants a more refined version, buy a PS5.

Horizon runs at 30fps on PS4, they automatically have a lot more processing room to render higher quality assets at 30hz compared to GT PS4, so the difference here will already be notable when comparing what assets are made with the base platform in mind. Not only that, Guerilla Games is 350+ people and they rely heavily, heavily on outsourcing companies to create most of their art assets while Guerilla designs the games and programs. 18 different outsource companies worked on Horizon assets for Guerilla. They could be having outsource companies create ps4-specific or ps5-specific models and props for all we know.

Polyphony prides heavily on in-house artists, we have no news of them even using outsourcing for track art yet. They won't be able to match Guerilla's production flow in any manner, so they will never be able to create two different versions of the same game. We've already seen Polyphony re-use track model props from GT5/6 for GTSport just because of the time it takes them to create new models. We've already seen GTSport-quality assets in the GT7 reveal trailer. And with this cross-gen news, that won't be changing any time soon. And that's not to mention the potential physics upgrades, AI, & dynamic systems being held back or completely absent because GT7 needs to run on a base PS4 with the same experience for all players for FIA esports.

gt7tree2xxkfb.png

The PS5 is a fundamentally different platform and isn't just a faster PS4 in a fancy new shell. It enables new approaches to game design that wasn't possible last gen. Just look at what the devs have managed to do with the super fast I/O throughput (the fast SSD is just one part of the equation) and haptics with Ratchet & Clank.

People are right to expect first party launch titles to fully take advantage of the hardware. So, it's very disappointing when Sony is dropping hints that they're just not able to deliver.

Yes there are PS4 games with dynamic time and weather. GT5 and GT6 had it on the PS3 so the PS4 can certainly handle it. PD just chose not to include it.
Dynamic weather is not essential for FIA Championships - which is why this GT Sport was created. But a traditional game, from the series numbered (7) these things will be included.

Last edited:
First of all, I respect all of your opinions, but why are you guys SO FREAKING MAD about GT7 being available on PS4?

I mean, you're acting like the game was originally planned for PS4, then it would port to the PS5 with some possible modifications, when it's actually the opposite.

In other words, I'm pretty sure GT7 for PS5 was going to be the same game if that PS4 version didn't exist.

But now we learned that this PS4 version does exist, so what will change for the PS5 GT7? Absolutely nothing!

I’m thinking this isn’t going to happen, I believe PD might already far enough along in GT7 development in pushing the PS5, that it might be difficult to get it down to PS4 level. Like a credit card PD always maximizes the credit limit. Games like Assetto Corsa Competizione low frame rates & optimization issues show the limitations of bringing a newer game to a older system.

It was in the same sentence as God of War and Horizon Forbidden West. It's confirmed.

No it's not. "we'll continue looking into it" isn't confirmation. Just because it was mentioned in the same sentence as Horizon doesn't mean its confirmed and the same applies for God Of War Ragnarok.

Last edited:
Back