Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
Horizon runs at 30fps on PS4, they automatically have a lot more processing room to render higher quality assets at 30hz compared to GT PS4, so the difference here will already be notable when comparing what assets are made with the base platform in mind. Not only that, Guerilla Games is 350+ people and they rely heavily, heavily on outsourcing companies to create most of their art assets while Guerilla designs the games and programs. 18 different outsource companies worked on Horizon assets for Guerilla. They could be having outsource companies create ps4-specific or ps5-specific models and props for all we know.

Polyphony prides heavily on in-house artists, we have no news of them even using outsourcing for track art yet. They won't be able to match Guerilla's production flow in any manner, so they will never be able to create two different versions of the same game. We've already seen Polyphony re-use track model props from GT5/6 for GTSport just because of the time it takes them to create new models. We've already seen GTSport-quality assets in the GT7 reveal trailer. And with this cross-gen news, that won't be changing any time soon. And that's not to mention the potential physics upgrades, AI, & dynamic systems being held back or completely absent because GT7 needs to run on a base PS4 with the same experience for all players for FIA esports.

gt7tree2xxkfb.png
I asked Igor Fraga if PS5 players have advantages over PS4 players with GT Sport and he said no. This has always been my concern regarding cross-gen, but I see that there is no reason for this.

Last edited:
Wikipedia works fast. They now have GT7 listed as a PS4 game as well with a citation directly leading to this specific quote from this specific interview. Did one of you guys do it? I'm curious.

Gran Turismo 7 - Wikipedia

Since Wikipedia only deals in facts, I am forced to concede that I am wrong, there is no room for interpretation or potentials, and GT7 is indeed a filthy broken crossplatform title now.

Last edited:
First of all, I respect all of your opinions, but why are you guys SO FREAKING MAD about GT7 being available on PS4?

I mean, you're acting like the game was originally planned for PS4, then it would port to the PS5 with some possible modifications, when it's actually the opposite.

In other words, I'm pretty sure GT7 for PS5 was going to be the same game if that PS4 version didn't exist.

But now we learned that this PS4 version does exist, so what will change for the PS5 GT7? Absolutely nothing!

Because the industry has taught people to be cynical.

PD does not have unlimited resources and manpower. The best case would be completely separate versions of GT7 on PS5 and PS4, but how can they achieve that? More delays on top of the impact Covid's already had on the production? Major outsourcing?

Hence, people are assuming a single pared down version of GT7 that's the same feature-wise on both consoles. Pared down because dev time and effort will have to be devoted to making GT7 work on PS4. Time and effort that could otherwise have been used to make GT7 the best it can be on a single console.

I asked Igor Fraga if PS5 players have advantages over PS4 players with GT Sport and he said no. This has always been my concern regarding cross-gen, but I see that there is no reason for this.

GTSport on PS5 is just GTSport on PS4Pro, it is a port that works via backwards compatibility. GTSport has no special upgraded version that takes advantage of PS5 hardware. In what way is this similar to what I posted about cross-gen developed games?

Possibly not using a wheel, but the haptics for GT7 on the controller would have to be an advantage in controller vs controller battle.

Last edited:
First of all, I respect all of your opinions, but why are you guys SO FREAKING MAD about GT7 being available on PS4?

I mean, you're acting like the game was originally planned for PS4, then it would port to the PS5 with some possible modifications, when it's actually the opposite.

In other words, I'm pretty sure GT7 for PS5 was going to be the same game if that PS4 version didn't exist.

But now we learned that this PS4 version does exist, so what will change for the PS5 GT7? Absolutely nothing!
I don't think it works like that...game development it always start from the weaker hardware, they cannot make a game that takes full advantage of the ps5 hardware and then try to make it run on the ps4 because it is not possible to do so.

You don't make a game with graphical assets and/or game design and physics systems that's targeting a much more powerful piece of hardware and then just magically somehow easily downport it to work a highly outdated weaker console one year from release. That never works; Cyberpunk 2077 literally still crashes on PS4 and XBO with constant horrendous framerates because those developers aimed so high on PC. Sony still has Cyberpunk banned from being sold on PSN until they fix it.

If the PS4 version of GT7 exist, then it had always existed and the game was made for that hardware from the start. It's possible PD at one point dropped the PS4 version and had plans to shift GT7 development to specifically take advantage of the PS5 hardware while not being constrained to PS4 limitations, but that's obviously not happening if there is a PS4 GT7.

Last edited:
Horizon runs at 30fps on PS4, they automatically have a lot more processing room to render higher quality assets at 30hz compared to GT PS4, so the difference here will already be notable when comparing what assets are made with the base platform in mind. Not only that, Guerilla Games is 350+ people and they rely heavily, heavily on outsourcing companies to create most of their art assets while Guerilla designs the games and programs. 18 different outsource companies worked on Horizon assets for Guerilla. They could be having outsource companies create ps4-specific or ps5-specific models and props for all we know.

Polyphony prides heavily on in-house artists, we have no news of them even using outsourcing for track art yet. They won't be able to match Guerilla's production flow in any manner, so they will never be able to create two different versions of the same game. We've already seen Polyphony re-use track model props from GT5/6 for GTSport just because of the time it takes them to create new models. We've already seen GTSport-quality assets in the GT7 reveal trailer. And with this cross-gen news, that won't be changing any time soon. And that's not to mention the potential physics upgrades, AI, & dynamic systems being held back or completely absent because GT7 needs to run on a base PS4 with the same experience for all players for FIA esports.

gt7tree2xxkfb.png
Man that image from yhe GT7 trailer it is so ugly,if the game will be launched in this state game critics will destroy it...with the cross gen announcment i have no more hight hopes that it will improve by that much...what a shame. I was hoping to enjoy an astonishing full Gran Turismo game that takes full advantage of the hardware with great physics and visual improvements instead we are getting another half assed game...And for a full next gen GT game we have to wait till 2026/27, im not even sure i will be alive till then lol

Last edited:
As I said a few posts ago, if you want a more refined experience, buy a PS5. ;)
The trouble there is that we know PD have form with disabling anything that will give you an advantage in the FIA competitive side of online racing, the gear shifter being the culprit before, so I'm not sure how PD could possibly justify disabling one of the consoles selling points for competition.

Last edited:
Ok so now I'm adding my two cents in I am too new to this game to really understand this completely but I had not planned on getting a PS5 just for GT7 so I have mixed feelings now I have read all the comments, i want GT7 to be great but not if it is going to be an expanded version of GT Sport.

If this is indeed confirmed, seeing Gran Turismo 7 potential being held back by a 8 year old console will be heartbreaking. Sony and PD cannot be that dumb, I'm praying for this to not happen.
It's not confirmed at all, don't worry :lol:

Perhaps it started out as a cross gen game and then changed to PS5 only with the delay and that's what this guy is talking about, or he's somehow not aware
Some passing remark in an interview with a high-up suit who may not know everything 100% for certain is not official confirmation
He is the head of PS Studios. He knows everything. It's his job.

Last edited:
This is a huge disappointment, every unique feature and advantage of the PS5 will be compromised since the game can't depend on them.

Haptic feedback, nerf'd
SSD, reduced to 2.5 inch slow notebook drive. And another huge install size.
PSVR support in races, gone.

And the worst part is PD with their limited resources having to juggle two games on different hardware.

This is so bad and such a shortsighted greedy decision.

Call me crazy, but why are some doubting GT7 being cross gen? The quote is pretty clear, since he listed the games before he goes on to say "we continue looking at that". The list refers to his first part of the sentence
Because it's a possibility, and we're complaining so people realize that making GT7 a cross-gen title is absurd at this point.

This is a huge disappointment, every unique feature and advantage of the PS5 will be compromised since the game can't depend on them.

Haptic feedback, nerf'd
SSD, reduced to 2.5 inch slow notebook drive. And another huge install size.
PSVR support in races, gone.

And the worst part is PD with their limited resources having to juggle two games on different hardware.

This is so bad and such a shortsighted greedy decision.
Is it greedy? If the game was released on time, how much of an uproar would it be? More than what this thread are throwing up.

How many more tales of PS5s bought via scalpers, would there be? Imagine GT7/PS5 bundles sold by such people.

If SONY are in crisis mode with the console and game, it makes sense not to leave out the majority of PS4 players. 100 million PS4s and possibly 10 million GTS players.
10 million PS5s and how many GT7 players would there be? 800,000 or less? Not sure that'd work out.

The theory of potentially 38 million PS5s by end of next year, maybe 3.5 million GT7 players? Might work, but look how many more players miss out. Another 5-7 million.
Yeah, it's always about money, but maybe this time, there's a bit damage control, to keep the money flowing, than be at a loss. Doesn't read like greed.

Call me crazy, but why are some doubting GT7 being cross gen?
Because it's a possibility, and we're complaining so people realize that making GT7 a cross-gen title is absurd at this point.

In my case, it's the
we’ll continue looking at that
bit that keeps getting overlooked that basically says "hey, it's been considered". Until word officially comes down from the devs themselves on the matter, the kerfuffle going on here is just the Gran Turismo subforum doing it's thing.

Look, I know a lot of you are thinking GT7 will be bad for PS4 and they PD made the wrong move which is right anyways. But what if it won't be as bad on PS5 still.

When Black Ops 3 released on PS4, definitely better graphics etc, when it was also released on PS3, not that great graphics at all etc.

So what if GT7 still released the well deserved Ray tracing and graphic hancing magic on PS5 anyways and the much better game that we need while the PS4 version may not look great in terms of graphics etc but runs to similar performance like GT Sport. So if anyone who can't afford a PS5 can still get the game for PS4 but it will not look and perform that great while the console exclusive on PS5 runs much more better, cleaner and better content that it has to offer.

I'm just trying to prove a point here, not to let it run into a never-ending argument between the console versions.

Exactly!!!

Back