Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
Anyone else think this is them strategically throwing this out there in an attempt to "test the waters" and see what the reaction would be if they decided to go this direction?

That way if the feedback is negative (which it is), they could use the negative feedback to justify the continued pushed release date.

thoughts

Here's a question, why couldn't GTS have dynamic time of day and weather? Was it due to the PS4's hardware constraints?

Kaz said this regarding no dynamic time for GTSport: “We opted to not have the transitions in the race this time in order to raise the framerate and the quality of the image during the race,”

Anyone else think this is them strategically throwing this out there in an attempt to "test the waters" and see what the reaction would be if they decided to go this direction?

That way if the feedback is negative (which it is), they could use the negative feedback to justify the continued pushed release date.

thoughts

Would be great if it's just a fake test but it's much more likely a business-related decision because Sony is a business corporation that thinks doing this will lead to more profit. But the hilarious thing is it's causing the hype to die down considerably for GT7, at least mine is almost non-existent now. Looks like Sony didn't even learn from their mistake on GT6 being made for PS3 hardware at the launch of PS4. Now we're getting a GT7 mostly designed for PS4 specs TWO years after the PS5 release. :lol: Almost 10 million views on youtube for GT7... people were hungry for a true next-gen GT.

Let's remind Jim Ryan about what he said regarding why GT6 was released for PS3:

Jim: "On PS3 we have an install base of 70 million units," said Ryan, referring to Sony's most recent worldwide sales numbers for the six-and-a-half-year-old console. "On PS4 on launch day we'll have an install base of zero units."​

Let's take a look at the result of making a last-gen oriented racing game for that massive install base during the next-gen transition.

granturismosalesx5kt3.png

19f0de6deb3b864809aa32f8316ab7a29ee14e0e.gif

Last edited:
Let's remind Jim Ryan about what he said regarding why GT6 was released for PS3:

Jim: "On PS3 we have an install base of 70 million units," said Ryan, referring to Sony's most recent worldwide sales numbers for the six-and-a-half-year-old console. "On PS4 on launch day we'll have an install base of zero units."​

Let's take a look at the result of making a last-gen oriented racing game for that massive install base during the next-gen transition.

Note that all of the second titles for every PS generation all have lower sales than the first for the generation...

Question….

assuming that at the very worse….PD is 2/3 the way done developing the game, is it even possible for them to go back and “dumb” down the game that was designed for PS5 all along? From my POV, it would seem plausible to do this if they were only 1/4 way through the development. But it just seems like you would have to un-do a lot of work to get a cross-gen title this late in the game

Quoting myself now.

what do people think of this who know computer stuff more than I do

You know what’s funny? If Polophony Digital released a full blown remake of GT4 using the GTS engine the community WOULD LOSE THEIR MINDS. Why? Because it’s a damn good game.

In all seriousness fancy pants graphics does not a great game make. More tracks, more cars, better AI and a deep engrossing career mode is all I ask for. GT Sport looked gorgeous and with a little raytracing polish it will more than do.

GT5 was supposed to be this graphical showcase but in reality featured a terrible career mode when compared with its predecessor. A great sim, but a terrible game.

The hell with graphics folks, give me a decent game dammit.

Evolution is only a oneway trip . Nature , technology..... PS4 will never run GT7. Never . Stone age people do not knew about quantum physic due to for their limitations. It don't fit.... The goal of a Cross-gen is to turn playable olders games in a new platform. I still play GTA-SA in my PS4 with a lot of pleasure.

Next GT7 model in carlist add ?? Really ? This is decadence.

article-2017721-0D1DEF0400000578-126_634x375.jpg
Yabba Dabba Doo

Note that all of the second titles for every PS generation all have lower sales than the first for the generation...

And there is a little difference between a game on last gen and one that is on both old and new. There is a lot of good with having a game for 120 million console base compared to 10 million. This seems all good to me and I am lucky enough to have a PS5. I think most of this is some people not feeling like they are special anymore. Think they should find something better to worry about.

If GTS had dynamic time of day and probably weather, the game would’ve looked noticeably worse. This is because GT Sport uses baked lighting (ray traced at that), which is a visual step up from dynamic lighting, but is always static.

I believe that’s partly why GTS’ file size is so large, due to all of the light maps.

Somebody needs to explain this baked lighting in GT Sport, how can it be baked static if you can manipulate the light source / light strobes in real time, which then affects how everything in the environment looks?

Were Polyphony telling porkies :confused:

If this is true, I'm now much less interested in GT7. It's disappointing to see them backtrack regarding the PS5 exclusivity. I guess we can forget hardware demanding features such as dynamic weather and Tod or large grids as well as big improvements over GTSport.

Last edited:
Jim: "On PS3 we have an install base of 70 million units," said Ryan, referring to Sony's most recent worldwide sales numbers for the six-and-a-half-year-old console. "On PS4 on launch day we'll have an install base of zero units."

His logic is so unbelievably flawed, it's actually sad.

I only bought a new console when a new GT was already out. What Sony need to focus on is producing enough PS5s to meet demand, then they launch GT7 and poof - PS5 sales skyrocket.

Gran Turismo is what sells a large portion of Playstations, especially in bundles. We all want the next-gen experience.

Edit: Found a comment on the trailer...
UAVPAae.png

Edit2: Found another...
z4IIuXL.png

Last edited:
Need for speed Most Wanted was crossgen title and is one of the most popular racing games ever.

Kaz said this regarding no dynamic time for GTSport: “We opted to not have the transitions in the race this time in order to raise the framerate and the quality of the image during the race,”

Would be great if it's just a fake test but it's much more likely a business-related decision because Sony is a business corporation that thinks doing this will lead to more profit. But the hilarious thing is it's causing the hype to die down considerably for GT7, at least mine is almost non-existent now. Looks like Sony didn't even learn their from mistake on GT6 being made for PS3 hardware at the launch of PS4. Now we're getting a GT7 mostly designed for PS4 specs TWO years after the PS5 release. :lol: Almost 10 million views on youtube for GT7... people were hungry for a true next-gen GT.

SeemsSony haven't learnt from their mistake with GT6... Honestly i hope Polyphony becomes a totally indipendent company from Sony, they are killing the franchise with these decisions

Last edited:
My guess is the PS5 version has so much work already done in it such as dynamic time that it will include all of the things we were promised in some form. Though there will be Sport Mode that is cross gen which will be the same as the PS4 version. While that is annoying, I doubt PD would make many Sport Mode races on rain, snow, or dynamic anyway if they even could especially in the FIA championships given their record of repeated races on GT Sport.
What would really be annoying is if PD goes the GTA5 route and releases the PS4 version around a year before the next gen version. I (and I'm sure most others) don't want to pay double the money.

Need for speed Most Wanted was crossgen title and is one of the most popular racing games ever.
Need For Speed ProStreet also had sever versions. PS2, PS3, PC, even mobile - Java.

The PS2 version ran at 24 fps with nearly unplayable input lag, and the graphics were super jaggy.

Don't even ask about the Java version...

GTA San Andreas - it actually ran fine on PS2, but it was made for that console. ...and yet, the only better version is the PC version. On PS3, the graphics were overcooked and look plastic, same deal on mobile. The mobile version introduced a game-breaking bug where you could speedrun the entire game in under 5 minutes with a glitch.

Edit: I must add - Just because a certain game was featured on multiple platforms, and was extremely popular, doesn't automatically mean the version on the low spec hardware was any good at all. Your logic is flawed.

What would really be annoying is if PD goes the GTA5 route and releases the PS4 version around a year before the next gen version. I (and I'm sure most others) don't want to pay double the money.

On that topic - I am sickened by the fact that you're expected to buy the same game multiple times just to play it on different platforms. Once you've bought the game, you should have the right to play it on whatever platform it's available on. Including cross-gen titles.

If I, say, buy GT7 for the PS4, I want it to be in my game library and ready to install on the PS5 as soon as I get it, because I already bought the 🤬 game.

Last edited:
There likely will be, and it's also likely that they'll be the same exact game with one looking a little prettier and running smoother. That's literally the only way it would be able to work together in an online environment.

I mean, there's a lot of games on the market that seem to point to the opposite, no?
Well I disagree. Many games play online together using PS4, XBOX and PC all in the same lobby. So it is possible.

I must add - Just because a certain game was featured on multiple platforms, and was extremely popular, doesn't automatically mean the version on the low spec hardware was any good at all.
I didn't know why you quoting me and putting words in my mouth. :confused: My point was that comparison between GT6 and GT7 isnt fiting here. GT6 wasnt crossgen title and was second proper GT in 7gen, while GT7 is crossgen title and would be first GT in 8 gen with proper singleplayer campaign. I could see how GT7 could be popular with crossgen approach. Also, I dont know if GT7 would be any good or not.

Last edited:
Somebody needs to explain this baked lighting in GT Sport, how can it be baked static if you can manipulate the light source / light strobes in real time, which then affects how everything in the environment looks?

Were Polyphony telling porkies :confused:

The direct lighting from the sun along with the shadows were always real-time. It is the indirect lighting (global illumination) that was baked into lightmaps. Seeing how it's super jittery, especially with the guy waving the flag and shadow movements, it looks like it's just loading in the baked lightmaps at runtime for certain frames. They obviously didn't bake enough lightmaps for each individual frame to make it a complete smooth transition going by that vid.

edit- found a vid that should show this visually and he explains how he swaps baked lightmaps at runtime

Last edited:
Well I disagree. Many games play online together using PS4, XBOX and PC all in the same lobby. So it is possible.
ya and they’re the exact same games with no differences. That should be your first major clue as to what I’m talking about. That’s not even close to the same thing as what you said.

Last edited:
Is it possible for SONY to "start" GT7 as a cross-gen title...... but then add DLC over time (like dynamic weather, etc.) that would only be accessible to PS5 owners as time goes on?

That might be a good way for SONY to get the best of both worlds on this one. Make money off both the PS4 and PS5 then add "PS5 ONLY" content as the title matures and more people get PS5'S.

Heck..... it could be a way for them to never have to build another GT title from scratch for the life of this console if they were satisfied with the original Graphics Engine

Last edited:
Question….

assuming that at the very worse….PD is 2/3 the way done developing the game, is it even possible for them to go back and “dumb” down the game that was designed for PS5 all along? From my POV, it would seem plausible to do this if they were only 1/4 way through the development. But it just seems like you would have to un-do a lot of work to get a cross-gen title this late in the game
It will certainly create extra work but how much will depend heavilly on how the game engine works and the way they've structured thier code and created thier assets. But like I said at the start, there will be more work involved and the later on in development you introduce a new platform to develop for the more work will be involved. Assuming that GT7 is using an evolution of the GT Sport engine, which seems likely, we know the game engine is derived from a PS4 game, however running on the PS5 that engine should be capable of considerably more calculations per second as well as better graphics.

So that not only opens up a higher possability we would see weather effects and dynamic time of day on PS5 but also improved physics, better AI and possibly more cars on track at one. In addition it could also lead to more densely packed locations and/or larger locations. So trying to produce the game for PS4 as well if they've already implemented or began to implement these things could cause complications as it's unlikely the PS4 version could handle these at the level of detail Polyphony would want, which we can use GT Sport as a measure for.

I've seen YT videos were a dude did back to back to back comparisons of Iracing on different graphic settings. The game just edited out more and more details as the graphic settings went down. I could see them doing this if in fact you are right that they were already building GT 7 off of GT Sport's engine per-say like you eluded to.

Hurggggggghhh
I'm still itching to play GT7, even if it's really just Sport with more offline content, that's all I really expected from the game... But to be coming so late!

And if feature parity with the PS4 version means no larger grids, no dynamic weather or day/night cycles... I'll be one sad camper.

Well, GT7 is shaping up to be what we all hoped the next GT would be in 2015, maybe the GT we want right now will be GT8, surely only 4-6 years after 7... within this decade!

:nervous:

I've seen YT videos were a dude did back to back to back comparisons of Iracing on different graphic settings. The game just edited out more and more details as the graphic settings went down. I could see them doing this if in fact you are right that they were already building GT 7 off of GT Sport's engine per-say like you eluded to.
Leveling down the details in the game and draw distance isn’t exactly the same as having completely different features, essentially making it a different game. Things like FPS, resolution, LOD, and draw distance can be different through different platforms and it would still function between each. Plenty of games already change those dynamically on the fly to make a game more playable in instances where all of them running at max all the time would cause issues. It’s exactly the same game still.

Things like Time of Day, weather, AI, and Physics don’t work the same way.

Leveling down the details in the game and draw distance isn’t exactly the same as having completely different features, essentially making it a different game. Things like FPS, resolution, LOD, and draw distance can be different through different platforms and it would still function between each. Plenty of games already change those dynamically on the fly to make a game more playable in instances where all of them running at max all the time would cause issues. It’s exactly the same game still.

Things like Time of Day, weather, AI, and Physics don’t work the same way.

Gotcha. But are these things that could be added a year or so down the road as "PS5 only" content when more PS5's are on the shelves and in people's home?

Gotcha. But are these things that could be added a year or so down the road as "PS5 only" content when more PS5's are on the shelves and in people's home?
They would have to change the whole structure of the game and essentially rebuild to separate itself from the previous version which seems more work than worth while. It would likely be better to avoid that mess completely I feel. We probably would have seen something like that happening by now. It’s a more easier said than done scenario, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people are expecting the PS4 and PS5 versions to essentially be separate games when PD is investing so heavily into their FIA championship?

There has to be parity between the PS4 and PS5 versions for that to work in terms of simulation/physics. That is directly determined by the lowest denominator.

What's the alternative? Exclude PS4 players from participating?

Last edited:
Probably just repeating what has already been written in this thread but it's really disappointing to hear this. By the time GT7 releases the original PS4 will be nearly 10 year old hardware. That will surely severely limit the features and new additions GT7 will have over GT Sport - things I've personally been excited about such as dynamic time, dynamic weather conditions during races, standing water (puddles)/dirt on track, the new Michelin-collaboration tyre model that there were some rumours about a while back, VR support in online racing and GT Mode, multi-class races - these things all come into question given the limits of original ps4s.

You gotta move with the times!

GT7 is a huge driver for people to actually get PS5s. Myself included.

If GT7 releases and doesn't offer new features as I've listed above but is just GT Sport with extra cars, tracks and a GT Mode (which really, is just the user interface wrapped over the single player racing you're doing and hiding cars/tracks behind money barriers or unlock rewards for events, which is all good and well, some players like that feeling of 'progression' they get from this sorta thing... but I personally feel that competitive online racing with real people is where it's at these days, after playing GT Sport).

-Sure, this would be somewhat of an improvement over GT Sport, but it would really just feel like a whole heap of DLC added on top of GT Sport with a re-skin I think.

GT7 could be so much more being current-gen only.

Man, the questions about transferring cars from GTS to GT7, liveries, decals, Credits, everything that are in the saved data management, will need some answers. Especially about in-game cars bought with real money.

Man, the questions about transferring cars from GTS to GT7, liveries, decals, Credits, everything that are in the saved data management, will need some answers. Especially about in-game cars bought with real money.
liveries and decals can be a thing. I doubt anything else would though, those seem incredibly unlikely, especially cars bought with real money. With it actually having a career mode this time I’m sure they’re going to want you to experience it how they want you to, and those things sound like it could take away from that.
What they could do is give you a small boost of credits and maybe some vehicles of their choosing for having a save profile from their previous game like most games seem to do.

Back