Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
Note that all of the second titles for every PS generation all have lower sales than the first for the generation...

It’s almost like the install base itself doesn’t matter that much. And people who buy the consoles early in their life cycle are more likely to pick up exclusive games, especially if they’re technical showcases, while those who refuse to buy one are not the kind of people to go out there and pick up a $70 game at launch. All around a terrible idea, motivated by the flawed logic repeated generation after generation. GT7 is very likely to be the only GT game for this generation and we’ll be stuck with a product gimped to support 10+ year old hardware. As someone else said, no surprise it looked so similar to Sport in the gameplay.

Last edited:
Somebody needs to explain this baked lighting in GT Sport, how can it be baked static if you can manipulate the light source / light strobes in real time, which then affects how everything in the environment looks?

Were Polyphony telling porkies :confused:

I saw your video yesterday and I wondered the same thing - I didn’t realise that direct lighting was “dynamic”, so to speak when the GI was baked. Saw @Vspectra’s post and then I understood that global illumination is indirect lighting, makes sense now (thanks for the explanation!). I sort of knew the two were different things but I just didn’t put two and two together with that. I thought baked lighting also included a static sun.

I’d heard the terms indirect lighting and GI and knew what they were, but for some reason I either forgot or didn’t quite realise they were the same thing.

I don't like this new head of PlayStation studios at all. Their marketing is all over the place. I hope Kaz tell him to frig off and let him focus on developing GT on PS5. I just can't see PD working on two different platform tbh, it would take centuries for them to finish if that's the case. They want to see this game fail or what?

Bring back Mr. Yoshida!

liveries and decals can be a thing. I doubt anything else would though, those seem incredibly unlikely, especially cars bought with real money. With it actually having a career mode this time I’m sure they’re going to want you to experience it how they want you to, and those things sound like it could take away from that.
What they could do is give you a small boost of credits and maybe some vehicles of their choosing for having a save profile from their previous game like most games seem to do.
It's just a weird one as what the Director was saying. About not wanting to leave PS4 players hanging. I mean, that's what happ NS each new game. The new game comes and the old one get put in the shelf. Shouldn't be different from GTS to GT7, but from what many are observing about the graphics and what is gleaned from the short trailer, the game looks and performs the same.

If that's the case, GT7 would actually seem like, what was mentioned in the other thread, a big DLC.

I'm all for buying a new game and starting from scratch. Not a problem for me, as I'm taking this news in stride. It does seems like a problem for some though.

Is it me or is the title of the poll confusing ? ... Is it saying the PS5 version is going to be dumbed down so it can also run on PS4 ... Or is it saying the PS4 version is going to be dumbed down so it can actually run ??

If it's the latter I really dont see a problem ?

If a PS4 version of GT7 isn't doesn't lose any features compared to the PS5 I can't complain (Obviously graphics will have to take a hit, but I don't really care about graphics). But I don't badly want a PS4 version of GT7.

I don't think dumbing down a full blown PS5 version that could run on a base PS4 would leave anything left but GT Sport with a couple more DLC's and pretty graphics for the PS5 GT7 game.

There's so many things I can think of that probably wouldn't run at the graphical level that we're accustomed to from PD on a base PS4 that I'd love to see. In no particular order: full PSVR (with the PSVR 2), detailed course maker, larger fields (30+), far more detailed physics, Isle of Mann TT Circuit, dynamic time and weather, to name just a few.

Is it me or is the title of the poll confusing ? ... Is it saying the PS5 version is going to be dumbed down so it can also run on PS4 ... Or is it saying the PS4 version is going to be dumbed down so it can actually run ??

If it's the latter I really dont see a problem ?

The first one. It's saying the PS5 version will be dumbed down now that we know the game is designed to work on PS4 hardware. As we know GT7 will continue the esport competitive multiplayer mode, there's no way Polyphony is going to make more advanced physics simulations and gameplay features for PS5 and have PS4 GT7 players compete with PS5 players on a different physics model and car grid. The game will have parity across both consoles outside of some updated graphical features.

I dunno how else to word the topic especially with the word limit when making topics and poll choices, but I think the poll choice would have made it clear.

Honestly, this news is far more disappointing than a delay. I'd rather see a GT game gets delayed multiple times than be held back by a decade old hardware. I'm sure the PS5 version will still look good because I have never seen a bad looking GT game before (yeah, some questionable assets here and there, but the overall look of the game is still unbeatable imho). There is much they can do with the PS5 hardware but now I don't know anymore.

Cheers @Vspectra ... Sorry I've not really been following all this ... So is it actually confirmed that it is physics that have to be downgraded too (to be compatible with PS4) ?
I guess I was assuming that all the physics side would be OK and they would just dumb down the graphics or something to have it run on PS4.

Last edited:
The simulation aspect is heavily dependent on the CPU (think how detailed the tire/suspension physics can be or how quickly they can be updated or even just the grid size). How much more can you expect PD to squeeze out of an 8 year old CPU that was already underpowered when it first launched vs how they might utilize a brand spanking new PS5 without crossgen shackles?

And also, Sony's recently revealed that their AI division is collaborating with first party devs for the PS5 to create smarter AI in games. Imagine how much a PS5 exclusive GT7 could have benefitted from that.

Last edited:
Oh snap. So I'll have the option to try Gran Turismo 7 for certain...only like I had always expected since I bought a PS4, going on five years ago. All the way back in 2016 when The Last Guardian convinced me to flip back from PS2->XB360 to Playstation, I figured it could be nice to have the choice to give GT another chance. Not some always-online esports thing with a limited spread of content, but a Gran Turismo game.

Kudos to PD for making good on that expectation, because I know very well I'm not alone.

SOMETHING HERE ISN'T ADDING UP.

Either we're missing something major, Sony is leaving out some major details, or they're still trying to figure this out.

To many of us, its pretty clear that making GT7 a Cross-console title was a financial decision. Whatever.

But Sony ALSO KNOWS that a premier exclusive title such as Gran Turismo is a Console-seller.

$70 for a game vs $570 for a game and console seems like a no-brainer to all of us. For instance, I buy a new play station when a new Gran Turismo or Grand Theft auto comes out.... whichever comes first. Many Gamers are like this (we all have our favorite titles respectfully). SONY KNOWS THIS.

Keeping in mind that Sony is a business.....and their primary goal is to make maximum profit. To me it seems like they've figured out a way to maximize their resources while maximizing their profit margins on all fronts..... console selling, title selling, pleasing existing customers, bringing in new customers.

My gut is telling me that GT7 will start out as a PS4 and PS5 title (Maybe they'll put PS4 PRO's on sale at a massive discount to double dip with console's too). But GT7.....through updates, will end up requiring a PS5 to access all of the content and features.

I think Sony has taken in account a few factors that influenced their decision:
- life span of a console
- production time cost to design a game
- life span of game (including DLC)

I think SONY has learned a lot the last 10 years:
- A console will only last 8-10 years MAX......and that'll only get shorter as technology progresses.
- Marquee titles take a long time to produce (Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo, God of War....the list goes on)
- A single title that has the ability to cross consoles will age very well (Grand Theft Auto)

I think Sony has figured out a way to create a title that will be able to maximize their profits, longevity, and inclusiveness. Maybe they were planning this all along. One thing's for sure.... we'll know much more in the ongoing months!!!

On a worse case scenario, this is the best news possible for other race titles and consoles. If GT7 falls flat, a lot of us will fully migrate over to PC and/or other titles!

Last edited:
Here is the director of GOW “confirming” what was already confirmed:

Draw your own conclusions ;)

(Also some people are disgusting. What is wrong with people to harass devs over this….)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a possibility to do something like that even though no other current gen games seem to be taking that route, sure. It just doesn't seem plausible. GTAV also isn't a game that was coming out in multiple generations of console at the same time, so I don't really think that one fits too much. That's practically a remaster, and as we know, remasters don't work on their prior consoles.

The PS4 versions of cross gen games work on the PS5 because of backwards compatibility, but it doesn’t work the other way around.

I don't like this new head of PlayStation studios at all. Their marketing is all over the place. I hope Kaz tell him to frig off and let him focus on developing GT on PS5. I just can't see PD working on two different platform tbh, it would take centuries for them to finish if that's the case. They want to see this game fail or what?

Bring back Mr. Yoshida!
I study marketing and business communication. This is all over the place indeed.
Looks like they forgot about investing in market analysis and research, or completely ignored the results.

Here is the director of GOW “confirming” what was already confirmed:

Draw your own conclusions ;)

(Also some people are disgusting. What is wrong with people to harass devs over this….)

Only conclusion that could be drawn here is that its only God of War possibly being confirmed as Cross-Generation. That and people are super disgusting over A GAME, which I already knew back in the mid-2000s when the Mortal Kombat devs had death threats over the inclusion of a Female Character with Ice Powers like that of Sub-Zero.

Possibly unpopular opinion here but it's really not the end of the world for me. I've been moving my games more and more to PC and pretty much only buys PS for GT games, so having GT7 on PS4 is gonna save me loads of cash for the forseeable future. As long as they keep the FIA events running on both platforms that's enough for me.

The only negatives I can see with GT7 on PS4 are:
1) Graphics not as good as it could be - not an issue for me because I never really care about graphics. I play ACC on all Low settings because my PC is outdated and I still enjoy it massively. If you ask me, gaming graphics has been "good enough" since PS3 gen.
2) Slower loading times - again not an issue because GTS already loads pretty fast even without SSD.
3) No dynamic time of day/weather - again I'm willing to take a graphics/FPS/resolution hit if it means we can have this on PS4. Even playing Driveclub I don't really notice that it's 30 FPS.

Apart from that, a racing game is a racing game. It's cars going round in circles so there is nothing that the PS5 can do that the PS4 couldn't.
1) More cars - even easier because they don't need to remodel everything to higher quality.
2) More tracks - as above.
3) Menu/UI revamp - easy and not constrained by hardware.
4) Sport mode - starting with bigger playerbase is always good. Also all the online improvements (DR/SR, penalties, matchmaking, server stability, BOP) can also be done on PS4.
5) Physics - people think CPU power is going to be limiting factor. Well, there are sim racing games released around PS2 era that are still ahead of GTS in terms of physics/FFB, so no, this won't be an issue. PD holding back the game for casual players has always been the issue.
6) Sound - same as physics.

Dynamic time in GT Sport:

No excuses for Polyphony not to put it in both versions of GT7.

Is this really dynamic smooth transitions though? Or is it just loading the various discrete time of days live on track? The shadow movements seem too jumpy to be the former.

Last edited:
A PS5 version of GT7 will not be limited with. PS4 version. It would be like ex: PS4 low graphics / PS5 high graphics.
If the graphics are the only difference then yes it is limited, the PS5 version should have some of/if not all the following, better physics, AI, dynamic weather, time of day, more cars on track at once, better environments, larger environments and of course, better graphics. I think some people think each new console generation is just graphical upgrades, but that's ceratinly not the case.

You compare the driving physics in the GT games on PS1 with those on PS2 and it's day and night. The physics continued to improve when we progressed to PS3, and then GT Sport on the PS4 has the most complex physics of the series to date. Cross-gen games tend to have compromises which allow them to be developed across multiple generations of hardware. Not everyone will be bothered with the compromises and different genre's of games and developers can mask those compromises with varying degrees of success but they are there.

Last edited:
not got a PS5 but, what a stupid idea you will be paying 60 or 70 for a single player update. Why not Just do a Pay DLC for GT Sport with all the cars and tracks, and then keep GT7 whole'

You only got to look at cyberpunk to see what a bad idea trying to cross gen the games, is

It's even more stupid considering how late it's coming to the console generation. This was likely going to be the main thing pulling me towards a PS5, but if it's going to be held back by previous generations I can likely wait till the PS5 price drops significantly. As a racing fan, there really isn't a reason to go for PS5 anytime soon it seems.

Also not willing to completely jump to Forza yet either considering the series has been getting extremely stale. Will just have to wait for more info on that first.
THIS

Yes it's not going to be next-gen, I hear that even the two flavours of Xbox's are also a limiting factor on how devs can really push this current generation and one has more power than the other, not think about how this difference is magnified with two generations.

We want a new Physics (to rival Asseto Coursa and iracing) and GFX engine if it cross-platforms it will just be an update of GTSPort, which is good but not truly NextGen.

Drive Club still looks amazing maybe we can get those kinds of weather effects with amazing tyre models to boot.

and KAZ/PD Bring back Shuffle mode from GT5, and driving missions maybe have a GT history section where we have to drive hero cars from each prior GT game on key tracks from each past game this could be amazing and fun.

Back