Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
Somehow didn't notice this (Granted, the cars took most of my atention) but this is...interesting:

View attachment 1079224

View attachment 1079222

Not exactly news to those that have noticed it but considering this is a Cross-gen title, this might be by far the biggest question in terms of features. This can mean one of two things:

- PD somehow making Time and Weather Transitions work on both with the PS5 handling it just fine while the PS4 being the less then optimized version runs at 30 FPS just so it doesn't implode.

- This is a feature that is exclusive to the PS5 version while the PS4 version is saddled with simply a selection of different weather per time.

Not sure how things will go, but this feels like big deal considering all this talk about the hardware involved.
I find this quite interesting. It could have massive ramifications when it comes to aerodynamics and top speeds...

I personally think it's a good thing GT7 is coming to PS4 as well as PS5 because i'm not sure if anyone knows this but PS5s are almost impossible to get. I missed out on another oppurtunity this morning.
They aren't impossible, but it is difficult. Even with that said, with the outages, they're still the top selling console ever, I'm pretty sure.

Not sure how that makes it sway in the direction of making the PS4 version a good thing, in my opinion. They're selling more than ever, but stock is limited compared to selling significantly less in prior iterations of Playstation but having a lot more stock - which is the better scenario? If its the latter, than you'd think they wouldn't have held back GT6 in a similar manner.

I have to confess, I've somewhat been on auto-pilot thinking I'll buy a PS5 when GT7 comes out, and I would buy one just for GT, but at the same time... I'm not paying over the odds for one, nor busting my ass to find one. If I can't just place an order for a console with a guaranteed delivery date, at RRP, I'll be happy to just get GT7 for the PS4 (accepting that things like the car and track list are the same). GTA would be the other console shifter for me, but R* haven't confirmed anything new yet.

If I have to repurchase games down the line for a newer console so be it.

If there was no PS4 version, I really can't tell if they'd get the sales numbers they need by March. I understand about the number of consoles, but how many people will, that own the consoles, buy this racing game?
I feel that percentage will be small.

If someone can work out a predicted number of PS5 sales by March 2022 and some data comparing past console GT slaes I. That time period, maybe they can reach those sales numbers. Or maybe not.

If PS5 sales don't ramp up, the game will just be sitting there. I mean, unless people are going to buy the game without the console.

Another thing, may be pre-orders and offering a special GT7 console. That could get them more guaranteed sales. Regardless if people can play the game or not. I don't know.

If there was no PS4 version, I really can't tell if they'd get the sales numbers they need by March. I understand about the number of consoles, but how many people will, that own the consoles, buy this racing game?
I feel that percentage will be small.

If someone can work out a predicted number of PS5 sales by March 2022 and some data comparing past console GT slaes I. That time period, maybe they can reach those sales numbers. Or maybe not.

If PS5 sales don't ramp up, the game will just be sitting there. I mean, unless people are going to buy the game without the console.

Another thing, may be pre-orders and offering a special GT7 console. That could get them more guaranteed sales. Regardless if people can play the game or not. I don't know.
As of July, they sold 10mil PS5's - I read that Sony is also ramping up production of around 12mil units by March 2022. With how extremely hot they've sold, I would imagine that the majority of that would be sold eventually. Although, I find it hard to imagine even half of that total would be purchasing GT7.

Last edited:
As of July, they sold 10mil PS5's - I read that Sony is also ramping up production of around 12mil units by March 2022. With how extremely hot they've sold, I would imagine that the majority of that would be sold eventually. Although, I find it hard to imagine even half of that total would be purchasing GT7.
Right. That's why I feel they might not get the sales target they'd hoped, if there wasn't the pandemic/chip shortage.
I guess the same can be said for people that will still wait until they can get a PS5 before buying GT7. No guarantee GT7-PS4 sales will rip a hole in the space-time continuum.

Right. That's why I feel they might not get the sales target they'd hoped, if there wasn't the pandemic/chip shortage.
I guess the same can be said for people that will still wait until they can get a PS5 before buying GT7. No guarantee GT7-PS4 sales will rip a hole in the space-time continuum.
Gran a Turismo 3 is the best selling GT game ever, when it released the PS2 was only 1 year old. There are more PS5’s in circulation than there were PS2’s when GT3 released as the PS5 is outselling the PS2.

I’d bet it sells better on the PS5 over the PS4, but we’ll find out next year.

But my point is, you cant just look at console numbers in circulation and assume the game will sell x or y numbers. There are so many more factors at play, not least, how many other games are out yet competing for the consumers attention on that console.

Last edited:
Hehe, just thought of something:

Porsche 911 GT1 Strassenversion + GT Auto + Livery Editor =

1631647546006.png

1631647565270.png

1631647686661.png

Assuming the level of customization even allows people to go this far. If it does though, I already know what I'm starting with...

Well, I did it already in this thread a while back:

To be fair, people were buying GT3 at that point, given that GT2 was a PS1 game :D

GT6 launched to the largest number of consoles in the history of GT games, and absolutely tanked - at least in GT terms. In fact launching to a larger customer base seems to have a negative effect on lifetime game sales for GT games. Here, have a table:

GameConsoleConsoles at Game LaunchFinal Game Sales
Gran TurismoPlayStation29.8 million10.8 million
Gran Turismo 2PlayStation70.0 million9.4 million
Gran Turismo 3: A-SpecPlayStation 228.7 million14.9 million
Gran Turismo 4PlayStation 284.9 million11.8 million
Gran Turismo 5PlayStation 341.8 million11.9 million
Gran Turismo 6PlayStation 380.0 million5.2 million
Gran Turismo SportPlayStation 467.5 million>8 million

That all rather looks like the ~22m PS5s around at GT7's launch would be a better bet than 135m consoles across PS4 and PS5 - though of course if it does launch as a cross-gen game, it will be technically the first to do so (though PS2s could play GT1-4, and some PS3s could play GT1-6).

Well the choice to hold back GT6 to the PS3 didn't seem to help it much in that case, but that can also be for a multitude of reasons. Meanwhile GTS came out damn near the end of the life cycle, with 70~mil PS4 sold, and that's still likely barely reaching the 10mil copies sold at our current point in time.

Gran a Turismo 3 is the best selling GT game ever, when it released the PS2 was only 1 year old. There are more PS5’s in circulation than there were PS2’s when GT3 released as the PS5 is outselling the PS2.

I’d bet it sells better on the PS5 over the PS4, but we’ll find out next year.

But my point is, you cant just look at console numbers in circulation and assume the game will sell x or y numbers. There are so many more factors at play, not least, how many other games are out yet competing for the consumers attention on that console.
I'd be shocked if anything could match the pace of GT3, these days, really.

So would I, but the point stands, you can’t take consoles in circulation and use that alone to predict sales. The evidence suggests it’s far more complex than that, and releasing earlier in a consoles life, while fewer consoles are in circulation, can result in higher sales because there are fewer games for the consumers to choose from.

So would I, but the point stands, you can’t take consoles in circulation and use that alone to predict sales. The evidence suggests it’s far more complex than that, and releasing earlier in a consoles life, while fewer consoles are in circulation, can result in higher sales because there are fewer games for the consumers to choose from.
I wasn't disagreeing - my posts alluded as much. I just feel GT3 was a big outlier there out of the bunch, as well.

Hehe, just thought of something:

Porsche 911 GT1 Strassenversion + GT Auto + Livery Editor =

View attachment 1080321

View attachment 1080322

View attachment 1080333

Assuming the level of customization even allows people to go this far. If it does though, I already know what I'm starting with...
Dunno where do people separate GT Auto and Livery Editor here, though GT website describes them separately, it seems that Livery Editor is in GT Auto here:
1631649117178.png

Other than that, you refer to GT Auto here for the wide body part or such? I thought for the livery, it's already possible to do this since GT Sport.

Well the choice to hold back GT6 to the PS3 didn't seem to help it much in that case, but that can also be for a multitude of reasons. Meanwhile GTS came out damn near the end of the life cycle, with 70~mil PS4 sold, and that's still likely barely reaching the 10mil copies sold at our current point in time.

Other than GT3, I'd also think GT2 was outright massive scale wise in its time. 650 cars, 27 tracks, Racing Modification for almost every car, high level PS1 graphics, road race & rally, respectable number of varied events (unlike GT1 with tiny amount of event), progressive Arcade, etc. all in PS1 (to the point of 2 discs). The only thing's that lacking is probably cockpit view.

I wonder what kind of game will be the equivalent of GT2, scale-wise, in nowadays gaming (PS5, latest spec PC, etc.).

Dunno where do people separate GT Auto and Livery Editor here, though GT website describes them separately, it seems that Livery Editor is in GT Auto here:
View attachment 1080335

Other than that, you refer to GT Auto here for the wide body part or such? I thought for the livery, it's already possible to do this since GT Sport.
I refer to GT Auto in terms of Car Modification (Like the Rear wing) and Livery Editor for the Livery. I know they are together but the context I mention them is in terms of what could be done to the car.

Last edited:
The problem with these crossgen games coming out so late - 2022, is that given modern 4-5 year development cycles, it won't be until 2026 - 2027 when we will see games from Polyphony, Santa Monica and Guerilla Games that take full advantage of PS5 hardware, and by that point PS6 will be announced and released, so we're back to square one with games running on dated hardware.
How it has always been. Things get announced with exciting specs, but better things are on the horizon by the time it gets into our hands.

The problem with these crossgen games coming out so late - 2022, is that given modern 4-5 year development cycles, it won't be until 2026 - 2027 when we will see games from Polyphony, Santa Monica and Guerilla Games that take full advantage of PS5 hardware, and by that point PS6 will be announced and released, so we're back to square one with games running on dated hardware.
This is why I believe the GT franchise should be on PC as well. Won't have to suffer compromise and can get the full GT experience in all its glory. Just as God intended.

I have one concern; the longevity of the PS4 version online. In cross-generational titles, do the they typically end online support for the old console version long before the new one?
They'll be updating both games for the same amount of time. They have to, as they're the same game. The only way that isn't plausible is if they made two completely different games that have no interaction between each other whatsoever. They'll be running on the same servers.

They'll be updating both games for the same amount of time. They have to, as they're the same game. The only way that isn't plausible is if they made two completely different games that have no interaction between each other whatsoever. They'll be running on the same servers.
Then it's probably ps4 for me. Much cheaper, and older ones have an optical audio out I can use with my old soundbar.

Can we expect two versions of the same track? I'm sure they can improve the modeling of some GTSport tracks on PS5.It would be ridiculous to play the PS4 version on PS5.

Can we expect two versions of the same track? I'm sure they can improve the modeling of some GTSport tracks on PS5.It would be ridiculous to play the PS4 version on PS5.
If I'm understanding you, the PS4 and PS5 will most likely have the same track, yes. However, we'll likely see some visual fidelity pumped into the PS4 version. That wont make it different, it'll very much be the same track.

I'm pretty sure the graphic fidelity will increase on PS5. It has to.

Last edited:
Will the PS4 and PS5 versions be cross platform? If some friends move to PS5 while others stay on PS4, it’d be a shame to not be able to play with them.

EDIT: I fear the possibility of GT7 being a completely different game on PS4. Although the graphics may be similar, I hope it won’t end up like Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox 360. Less cars, less features, less content, a completely different game in general.
1631756710020.jpeg

Last edited:
Will the PS4 and PS5 versions be cross platform? If some friends move to PS5 while others stay on PS4, it’d be a shame to not be able to play with them.

EDIT: I fear the possibility of GT7 being a completely different game on PS4. Although the graphics may be similar, I hope it won’t end up like Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox 360. Less cars, less features, less content, a completely different game in general.
View attachment 1080793
GT7 is being developed by 1 group of people rather than 2. The differences won't be as stark.

This wont happen with GT7.

FH2 360 edition was done by... I want to say Sumo Digital.

FH2 Xbox One ediiton was done inhouse by Turn10.

I actually bought both and the reality is that although the mission structure was different, the game 'feel' and gfx was about the same.

I didnt feel like I was missing out on much with the 360 edition.

Be that as it may, I dont think PD will offshoot the PS4 to some other ocmpany. Its all on that and that means they are pretty much going to be the same besides some minor gfx.

Also I await the testing from DF with regards to ps4 vs ps5 gfx and specifically NVME gen 4 ssd vs. what is most likely to be sata ssd via sata3 or usb3 on the ps4.

I am ready to roll my eyes at the scant difference.

Back