Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
EDIT: I fear the possibility of GT7 being a completely different game on PS4. Although the graphics may be similar, I hope it won’t end up like Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox 360. Less cars, less features, less content, a completely different game in general.

This wont happen with GT7.

FH2 360 edition was done by... I want to say Sumo Digital.

FH2 Xbox One ediiton was done inhouse by Turn10.

I actually bought both and the reality is that although the mission structure was different, the game 'feel' and gfx was about the same.

I didnt feel like I was missing out on much with the 360 edition.

Be that as it may, I dont think PD will offshoot the PS4 to some other ocmpany. Its all on that and that means they are pretty much going to be the same besides some minor gfx.

Also I await the testing from DF with regards to ps4 vs ps5 gfx and specifically NVME gen 4 ssd vs. what is most likely to be sata ssd via sata3 or usb3 on the ps4.

I am ready to roll my eyes at the scant difference.
Two completely different scenarios as @TonyJZX notes.

Although I somewhat disagree, you can immediately tell the graphical difference in that photo alone, even with it being massively compressed lol. As far as I know, it was also missing things as well like @Volksauto noted, I just can't recall what exactly. You're right thought, they definitely wont offset it to another company, they have a difficult enough time deciding if they want to go for outsourcing car models.

I personally think it's a good thing GT7 is coming to PS4 as well as PS5 because i'm not sure if anyone knows this but PS5s are almost impossible to get. I missed out on another oppurtunity this morning.
This. Especially if you don't live in a first world country, it's gonna be a long wait. Gran Turismo games have a long lifespan, they pretty much did the long lifespan live service model way before GTA 5 took it to another level, and probably will continue to do so. From a business point it makes a lot of sense for it to be available on both consoles, as a PS5 is hard to get at the retail price even if you do live in the US.

But also, as someone has already noted, it seems as if the game is going to remain the same across each console apart from graphics and loading times. PD is developing both versions in house, and they're the last developer to have a Cyberpunk level mess up. If there's no obstacle to someday carrying over your progress, and there's seemingly not much of an obstacle to upgrading to the PS5 version of the game, then it works out fine. The stuff we are buying GT7 for, like an improved physics engine, features, GT Mode, etc. would not be limited by the hardware diference, only the graphics probably will.

They'll be updating both games for the same amount of time. They have to, as they're the same game. The only way that isn't plausible is if they made two completely different games that have no interaction between each other whatsoever. They'll be running on the same servers.
I really hope this is the case, where the PS4 version of GT7 gets all the DLC that the PS5 version gets, what with how hard it is to get a PS5.

So, this looks like a great PS4 game. No need to buy a PS5 at the moment. Thank you Sony. IMO, I don't see GT7 as a PS5 game. It's a PS4 game and playable on PS5 on "ultra settings".
Now I need to find a series X....

So, this looks like a great PS4 game. No need to buy a PS5 at the moment. Thank you Sony. IMO, I don't see GT7 as a PS5 game. It's a PS4 game and playable on PS5 on "ultra settings".
We don't know how it would perform on PS4 though. Could be a lot worse than the PS5. Some of the feature like dynamic volumetric cloud could be too demanding for PS4 and GT7 might suffer some performance issues.

Last edited:
If its fhd 30 then it goes in the bin. Hell I would take 720/60 over that.

But I would assume fhd 60 with dips to 45 like gt5/6. Thats all one can expect from 2013 hardware.

Last edited:
If its fhd 30 then it goes in the bin. Hell I would take 720/60 over that.

But I would assume fhd 60 with dips to 45 like gt5/6. Thats all one can expect from 2013 hardware.
Unfortunately GT5/6 could drop bellow 45fps, a busy track, rain and cockpit view sees it hit the 30s.

A bit early but it sure looks like it, especially if the PS5 cannot run more cars on the same track either. So far, it's only loading times being a major difference. Obvious FPS & resolution differences aside.

Well, at least with each update, the PS5 community will be able to share new content right away. Us still using the PS4, will have to wait the few hours to check it ourselves.

This is why I believe the GT franchise should be on PC as well. Won't have to suffer compromise and can get the full GT experience in all its glory. Just as God intended.
I don't agree. What with the competition for resources demanded by XBox and PS versions, and then even the consternation about different versions being released for the two PSs, I'd hate to think how development of another platform would be further affected.

I don't agree. What with the competition for resources demanded by XBox and PS versions, and then even the consternation about different versions being released for the two PSs, I'd hate to think how development of another platform would be further affected.
As history has shown us, development shouldn't affect the consoles as PC would just get it ported from the console version and not built from the ground up. It would still be individually fine-tuned based on one's hardware configuration. And I'm sure most that would play the game would at least have hardware at least equivalent to 2013's PS4 base.

A bit early but it sure looks like it, especially if the PS5 cannot run more cars on the same track either. So far, it's only loading times being a major difference. Obvious FPS & resolution differences aside.
The only hope for PS5 to have vastly improved physics and stuff like large multi-class fields will be if they split the player base. I have heard nothing indicating that will be the case sadly.

The only hope for PS5 to have vastly improved physics and stuff like large multi-class fields will be if they split the player base. I have heard nothing indicating that will be the case sadly.
All will be the same, except greater visuals on PS5.

I personally think it's a good thing GT7 is coming to PS4 as well as PS5 because i'm not sure if anyone knows this but PS5s are almost impossible to get. I missed out on another oppurtunity this morning.
In a year when you have your ps5, will you still be happy that it's also a ps4 game?
I understand the sentiment of "more people having access=better" but with a live game that's likely to last the whole generation, I see it as more bad than good assuming something had to be scaled back.
Before the announcement of the versions being nearly identical I was still pretty hopeful because we were told the ps4 version was a very recent development. That made me think maybe tire/physics model could be different to take advantage of new hardware. That hope, even if based in ignorance/not understanding what the original plan was to begin with, is gone. Now just hoping ps4 had no negative effect on overall feel of the game.

Oh good, the Polyphony insider is back to tell us more about the game. Can you tell us if the game was always planned to be on two consoles or not please?
Dont You remember what Kaz said in interview about differences?

Oh good, the Polyphony insider is back to tell us more about the game. Can you tell us if the game was always planned to be on two consoles or not please?
PS4 version didn't exist til ~18 months ago. I get the feeling only way you'd believe that would be a hand written letter signed by Kaz?

PS4 version didn't exist til ~18 months ago. I get the feeling only way you'd believe that would be a hand written letter signed by Kaz?
Well why would we believe you? what is your source? All we have so far is the source GTP got that it was in development since at least before the initial announcement. How long before, they didn't specify.

Well why would we believe you? what is your source? All we have so far is the source GTP got that it was in development since at least before the initial announcement. How long before, they didn't specify.
That's the thing, you have no reason to believe me. No matter who my source or theirs is, GTP mods/admins have more credibility and I wouldn't want to undermine that.

That's right

Some who hope to have the same visual on PS4, will be disappointed.
I expect that the visuals themselves will be the same across both games, but things like LOD on models, resolution, FPS and the likes will be the major differences. I would think that maybe shadows might be lowered in resolution for the PS4, though.

Yes, differences will probably be on technique : LOD, texture, lighting, framerate, resolution, shadow, and etc.

Lots of little things that will make the image more beautiful and clean.
While I don't entirely disagree, I don't think the lighting will be any different between the two games. Those little things really wont detract in any major way from visuals, I think of the bunch the shadows might be the most jarring. Everything else will likely be extremely passible.

However, we still dont know if/what compromises they made to get to this point.

Last edited:
I just thought it would be good to hear more about the details from someone who actually works for Polyphony. GTP staff are great and do a great job, but hearing it directly from someone who works at the studio and can make factual statements about the game with confidence seems even better.

I mean, do you have no questions that you would like to ask of someone who works for Polyphony? Send them to @Greatbee and see what they say.

I just thought it would be good to hear more about the details from someone who actually works for Polyphony. GTP staff are great and do a great job, but hearing it directly from someone who works at the studio and can make factual statements about the game with confidence seems even better.

I mean, do you have no questions that you would like to ask of someone who works for Polyphony? Send them to @Greatbee and see what they say.
Jup, I'm PD insider. You are outstandingly smart. :)

Last edited:
I had a dream last night.
I was playing Gran Turismo 7 licences and one of the licences took you back to Gran Turismo 2 graphics on a totally new unnamed circuit and i was so happy to see that :D

I guess my brain is looking forward to GT7 after almost a decade of pause in not buying GTSport.

Last edited:
The great thing about a cross-gen game is that the people who want it but don't yet have a PS5 can still enjoy it on their PS4. This is how I see it: The PS4 version was offered to ensure that no-one misses out on the latest GT experience. Making the game more accessible will ensure strong sales and that's why Sony have opted to do it. They know that it's hard for people to get a PS5, so offering the PS4 version negates some of those supply issues. Of course, once these people have a PS5, they can easily upgrade so it's a win win for all the shareholders and PD.

Back