Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,293 comments
Truth. My N24 DTM race(4 laps) was 480k. It’s now 241,400Cr.

Edit: @Batschisane52 what I noticed with my N24 race and my races will fuel stops, due to the throttle and Boost Weal, there are varying fuel usage.
The lead AI, on that program, are burning fuel to build the gap. The cars mid-pack(where I do most my battles through the field), have slightly better fuel economy than me. Due to less throttle and some partial throttle to allow me to pass. The cars that are towards the rear, before the last lap, have the best fuel economy, as they slow down.

When “we” all pit, it was amazing(not really, but tells the story) to see the lead cars on 9% fuel remaining, my car & mid-pack AI at 13-16% and cars behind at 19%. In the end, the field is spread out about thirty seconds from P1 to P20.
I sort of lost faith in fuel-relevant races due to the rubberbanding - were I to try and over-/undercut or try a different fuel strategy in general, the AI will speed up/slow down to try and stick with me in ways that break immersion.

Haven’t REALLY thought much about it, though. Curious of others’ opinions…

I sort of lost faith in fuel-relevant races due to the rubberbanding - were I to try and over-/undercut or try a different fuel strategy in general, the AI will speed up/slow down to try and stick with me in ways that break immersion.

Haven’t REALLY thought much about it, though. Curious of others’ opinions…
That used to be the case for me, before Boost Weak. Since then, even though it’s a fake race pace, I’m just not winning all the time from last place. PD have to do more fine tuning, but for me, it’s working enough to enjoy how I set up my races. Coupled with VR, it’s the Gran Turismo I’ve been wanting.

I’ve only recently used the fuel/tyre settings, from Le Mans 700 and Spa 800, in my DTM races. So far, good stuff. We’re pitting often, Because of road car fuel tanks, but that’s part of the experience for me.

Regardless of where the RS500s are in position, the turbo make them more thirsty(most power on the grid at 390-392bhp/1038kg). They’re pitting earlier than the E30 and 190 E. The E30 Evos are burning more than the base E30(E30 Evos are tuned to 355bhp and E30s at 337bhp, both weigh the lowest at 983kg). 190 Es seem to be on par or slightly more frugal(those have 346bhp and are the heaviest cars at 1046kg). I’m burning fuel to try and reach the front. So, it’s not just a fuel strategy for me to conserve(I don’t fuel map or trying to coast). However, at some corners where I’m quicker than the AI, I may be saving fuel for having to lift to avoid contact. Anyway, the lead AI will continue to set fast times. In my races.

I’ve settled on my 90’s Endurance Series line up. Just waiting for the 911 993 to come in the UCD

Group C

Sauber C9

Nissan R92CP

Porsche 962C

Mazda 787B

Jaguar XJR-9

GT1

Jaguar XJ220

Honda NSX

Lambo Diablo

Ferrari F40

Dodge Viper

Chevrolet Corvette C5R (c6 with c5r livery)

Porsche 911 (993) GT2 Evo (GT1) (engine swapped to get upto 600bhp)

Nissan Skyline R33

Toyota Supra

GT2

Honda NSX x2

Porsche 911 993 x2

Dodge Viper x2

How do you guys get on with the custom weather? It seems like the game doesn’t want to give you rain unless you start a race with it already raining.

This would be a typical example of the settings I would use.
IMG_8508.jpeg

Last edited:
How do you guys get on with the custom weather? It seems like the game doesn’t want to give you rain unless you start a race with it already raining.

This would be a typical example of the settings I would use.
View attachment 1305882
“Rain” is only some less-than-100 percent chance to rain, which lends to the idea that it doesn’t work when giving it a few tries. It has worked for me but yeah, if you definitely want rain you should flip your light rain tiles to R05/whatever heavier option.

“Rain” is only some less-than-100 percent chance to rain, which lends to the idea that it doesn’t work when giving it a few tries. It has worked for me but yeah, if you definitely want rain you should flip your light rain tiles to R05/whatever heavier option.
I was really hoping this wouldn’t be the answer but I should know better :lol:.
Thanks.

I was really hoping this wouldn’t be the answer but I should know better :lol:.
Thanks.
It may additionally be track-dependent. I am presently sourceless but I feel like I once saw some behind-the-scenes details to suggest Spa was the rainiest track at like 70% for its heaviest option with the other rain-eligible tracks living in the 40-60% range… maybe this is reflected in the UI (like Spa has more options for ‘severity’) but I am not looking at it right now.

It may additionally be track-dependent. I am presently sourceless but I feel like I once saw some behind-the-scenes details to suggest Spa was the rainiest track at like 70% for its heaviest option with the other rain-eligible tracks living in the 40-60% range… maybe this is reflected in the UI (like Spa has more options for ‘severity’) but I am not looking at it right now.
I was once having a custom race at Le Mans with most of my road cars that won the 700PP grind race at Le Mans(one of my favorite custom grids) and i set the weather on random, and there was heaviest rain right from the start until lap 4...
But this is rather rare, most of the times when i set the weather on random it doesn't rain at all.

It’s not like PD to over complicate something that doesn’t need complicating :lol:
Appreciate the info, thankyou.

Can’t just blast past the AI to P1, in a couple corners, like the good ol’ days. :lol:

AI are Quick in this one. With my mistakes, it’s like the car balance was off and my rhythm. It was late at night, but I’ve been noticing tyres take way longer to become clean after going off track and even going wide on marbles. So much loss of grip. Anyway, it was good to see where I went wrong and the train the sent me down the bottom.

Really was genuinely tough to pass on the reverse layout. Second time running these cars in this layout. The first time, the 190 Es were getting loose at the dip of Turn 1. Spearing off to the right at the pit exit. I got wobbly there too. I’ll test it again, at some point.

Can’t just blast past the AI to P1, in a couple corners, like the good ol’ days. :lol:

AI are Quick in this one. With my mistakes, it’s like the car balance was off and my rhythm. It was late at night, but I’ve been noticing tyres take way longer to become clean after going off track and even going wide on marbles. So much loss of grip. Anyway, it was good to see where I went wrong and the train the sent me down the bottom.

Really was genuinely tough to pass on the reverse layout. Second time running these cars in this layout. The first time, the 190 Es were getting loose at the dip of Turn 1. Spearing off to the right at the pit exit. I got wobbly there too. I’ll test it again, at some point.

Recently subscribed to your channel and I have to say I’ve been enjoying watching some of your races, it’s a great way to unwind at night before going to sleep!

So far I have done little custom races, but I miss key endurance races on the Ring and at Le Mans.
Any good beginner tips for custom races?

Last edited:
New project, quite low cost... V8 Supercars, Ford Shelby Mustang GT350R vs Chevrolet Camaro. For now I have tuned both the Camaro SS and the Camaro ZL1 (it's also a question of availability of liveries... there are more for the ZL1), I would never have said it but they end up close in terms of PP, the ZL1 obviously has waaay more torque, I'll see what differences there will be on the track. Overall right now Mustang, Camaro SS and ZL1 all end up there in terms of PP, between 705 and 707 PP.

New project, quite low cost... V8 Supercars, Ford Shelby Mustang GT350R vs Chevrolet Camaro. For now I have tuned both the Camaro SS and the Camaro ZL1 (it's also a question of availability of liveries... there are more for the ZL1), I would never have said it but they end up close in terms of PP, the ZL1 obviously has waaay more torque, I'll see what differences there will be on the track. Overall right now Mustang, Camaro SS and ZL1 all end up there in terms of PP, between 705 and 707 PP.
I was going to try this too but someone else said the Camaro’s torque made it uncompetitive. Be interested to see how you get on

I was going to try this too but someone else said the Camaro’s torque made it uncompetitive. Be interested to see how you get on
I'll do some testing (at Bathurst... where else? :D) and see what feelings the various cars give me. As well as obviously taking note of the lap times they manage to set. Yesterday I only did a shakedown of the three cars: the Mustang, despite the difference in displacement, doesn't seem too bad; the two Chevrolets behave a little differently from each other, the ZL1 is more unpredictable, it gives me the feeling of greater difficulty in putting the power to the ground, the SS is more manageable.

All cars already have real specs (1,335 kgs of weight, approximately 650 hp, weight distribution 54 front/46 rear since by regulation 725 kgs of the 1,335 kgs of total weight must be on the front axle).

Last edited:
So far I have done little custom races, but I miss key endurance races on the Ring and at Le Mans.
If you wanna go for maximum realism there(with fuel and tire wear) be prepared for odd AI behavior, especially in regards to fuel management...without or with just very low fuel consumption. that races can be quite challenging and exiting, but keep in mind that the AI only uses 90-95% throttle and tune your car a little bit down...don't forget to set boost on weak, that makes the AI more competetive...

Some have experienced, that the AI cars at the Nordschleife let you overtake to easily, but that doesen't happen to me when I set the AI on expert(highest setting) because I struggle to keep up with them...

Tuning all the cars in your grid to a common power/weight ratio can be a good foundation for a balanced contest.

Set Boost to weak. Know the AI can only use “stock” or RH tires (if you’ve equipped them to the tune) and stick to shorter races (20 laps at most) with fuel and tires at 1x (a.k.a. no pitstops). Grid starts produce tight packs at the start of races.

I will often restart my race after 3+ test laps, checking the replay and dialing in my nerfed tune to match the AI’s top speeds on the straights. Due to the AI only using 97% throttle, I usually do something like 90 power restrictor and shortened gears (maybe bump top speed 20kph lower to keep things simple).

Get into the habit of keeping all cars on an AI tune sheet and only flip to your own tune sheet on the pre-race screen after loading up the race. I try to flip it back to the AI tune after the session so I can hop into a different car the next time around and keep things balanced.

Does anyone have that one google sheet with all the tracks and where they AI are good, or something similar? I can't seem to find it.
This one? Help me fill it in, please! :)

AI / Tracks Sheet

Is this proof they’ve fixed the Nord/N24 AI pulling over? Or have you simply nailed your grid balance to never achieve a high enough speed in slipstream to trigger the ‘pull over’ mechanic?

Tuning all the cars in your grid to a common power/weight ratio can be a good foundation for a balanced contest.

Set Boost to weak. Know the AI can only use “stock” or RH tires (if you’ve equipped them to the tune) and stick to shorter races (20 laps at most) with fuel and tires at 1x (a.k.a. no pitstops). Grid starts produce tight packs at the start of races.

I will often restart my race after 3+ test laps, checking the replay and dialing in my nerfed tune to match the AI’s top speeds on the straights. Due to the AI only using 97% throttle, I usually do something like 90 power restrictor and shortened gears (maybe bump top speed 20kph lower to keep things simple).

Get into the habit of keeping all cars on an AI tune sheet and only flip to your own tune sheet on the pre-race screen after loading up the race. I try to flip it back to the AI tune after the session so I can hop into a different car the next time around and keep things balanced.

This one? Help me fill it in, please! :)

AI / Tracks Sheet

Is this proof they’ve fixed the Nord/N24 AI pulling over? Or have you simply nailed your grid balance to never achieve a high enough speed in slipstream to trigger the ‘pull over’ mechanic?
The AI still pulls over. Once I get alongside the AI and pass it around my A-pillar, it goes back to boosting. The change in engine note from off-throttle to accelerating is like flicking a switch. Thats why it’s a bit hard to pass at turns/corners. It’s noticeable on the straights, of course.

On a different subject of sharing spectating views. Revisiting testing views that try to give full views of the shortest circuits.
The video below, I stopped a Hellcat Safety Car(SC) at the exit of the last banking. The car can be driven a bit more out of sight, before that camera is disabled. There is more action happening on the opposite side of the track, due to pit stop Multiplier and Heavy damage activated.

SC is parked between the pit entry/exit

Alternative view of the same SC placement.

Red Bull Short. I parked up at all corners of the circuit. The Turn 1 view, shows the most action of cars entering and exiting pits for refueling and damage repair. Plus, passing opportunities at Turn 1.

Last edited:
Another beginners question: I would like to have rain in my custom races randomly. What settings should I use so I have about 50% chance of rain on random times during the race?

Another beginners question: I would like to have rain in my custom races randomly. What settings should I use so I have about 50% chance of rain on random times during the race?
I’m probably not much help, as my experience varies. For me, Fuji and Tsukuba seem to be the most consistent for rain. At Autopolis, I’ve set rain for three slots, with another two slots for drizzle and my race starts with wet surface and no rain.
Nurburgring 24H layout is crazy random for me. Even if I set slots, it’ll decide when to activate rain, if at all.

I just leave weather on random.

I've got 19 gt3 cars all set to around 730bp. I've bought race soft, medium, hard,rain and intermediate for all of them. If I enable tyre wear and fuel consumption would the AI pit when necessary?

I've got 19 gt3 cars all set to around 730bp. I've bought race soft, medium, hard,rain and intermediate for all of them. If I enable tyre wear and fuel consumption would the AI pit when necessary?
Yes, but they'll only use the default compound unless it rains. However, when the track dries up, they usually switch to softs.

So... I did some testing at Bathurst, with four test cars (you'll soon understand why four and not three)... However, initially I tested the Shelby Mustang GT350R and the Camaro SS, the two cars showed similar behavior, the feeling is that the Mustang is "easier", but that it is more difficult to lower the times: in short, easy yes, but not very fast. But then the two cars set similar times: 2:05.6xx for the Camaro (but with a margin... I could have gotten closer to a low 2:05), 2:05.8xx for the Mustang (with a little more difficulty and less margin).

Subsequently, I tested the Camaro ZL1 and (in spite of those who say it's not competitive) it sets a 2:04.1xx with margin to go even under 2:04. So I thought I'd tune a Shelby GT350R with a supercharger, and this Mustang sets a 2:04.5xx. Also in this case, with less margin and a bit more difficulty than the Camaro.

The four cars are very similar in terms of PP (around 705.xx for the NA Mustang, around 706.xx for the Camaro SS, sorry but I don't remember precisely the PPs for this first two cars; 707.00 for the supercharged Mustang and 707.17 for the Camaro ZL1), and all four were tested on RH tyres. I play with DualShock4.

I'm very undecided on which option to choose: Camaro SS and Mustang NA would also be more realistic (V8 Supercars use NA V8s), but there are many more liveries for the Camaro ZL1 than the SS, and therefore it would be preferable in this sense to go with the Camaro ZL1 and the supercharged Mustang.

Last edited:
I'm very undecided on which option to choose: Camaro SS and Mustang NA would also be more realistic (V8 Supercars use NA V8s), but there are many more liveries for the Camaro ZL1 than the SS, and therefore it would be preferable in this sense to go with the Camaro ZL1 and the supercharged Mustang.
Why not use all of them?

I am making similar concept but decided to make it more "fantasy". Yes inspiration was V8 Supercars but since it is actually not possible to make those car "close" to NA V8 Supercars. I decided to make "american twist" V8 Supercars. So i decided to make those cars supercharged and throw Dogde Challenger to the mix to make it more interesting :)

Back