Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,293 comments
Why not use all of them?
Simply because supercharged cars are much faster. Probably they are also more thirsty on fuel, but the competition is unfair anyway.

I think it's better to use the NA ones, because V8 Supercars lap record in Bathurst (with Gen 3 regulations) IIRC is a 2:04.7xx, with soft or supersoft tyre compound I guess. So supercharged cars are too fast (2:04 but on racing hards).

So i decided to make those cars supercharged and throw Dogde Challenger to the mix to make it more interesting :)
I have a (sort of) Trans Am project with those cars... Shelby Mustang GT350R supercharged, Dodge Challenger Demon and Camaro ZL1. All three cars well over 700 hp (maybe 750), standard aero specs, 1.350 kg IIRC... Sooo much fan.

Too bad we can't take off factory mounted turbos/superchargers from cars to run them Naturally Aspirated. That would be nice option.

Last edited:

1965 F1 grid. Cars are duplicated between team mates except the Honda drivers. The grid consists of everyone from the full 65 season including two drivers who took park in the first round in South Africa. Cars are power restricted toward the back of the grid between 95 - 99 so there is minor variability between performance. Drivers also start in the position that they finished the championship in. It's great fun!

Some questions for BTCC enthusiasts.

1) There are currently 3 races for each weekend: Race 1 has the starting grid defined by the qualifying session (1 point is also awarded to the polesitter); Race 2 has the starting grid defined by the results of Race 1; for Race 3 a draw is made to define the starting grid, with also a sort of reversal compared to Race 2. To replicate this in GT7, what would you do? I was thinking of simply making a reverse grid, maybe not for all 20 cars but at least for the first 15, or even less (the first 10?)... In short, what would you do?

2) Other info, which I'm not finding... Are the races currently always at least 30 miles each or are they longer?

3) For now I have a mini calendar of races already defined... Brands Hatch Indy, Goodwood, Blue Moon Bay Infield A for Rockingham, Brands Hatch GP... Maybe Road Atlanta for Oulton Park... What other tracks would you put? Maybe there is a Lago Maggiore layout that can vaguely remind Knockhill... I would like a calendar with more races obviously.

Some questions for BTCC enthusiasts.

1) There are currently 3 races for each weekend: Race 1 has the starting grid defined by the qualifying session (1 point is also awarded to the polesitter); Race 2 has the starting grid defined by the results of Race 1; for Race 3 a draw is made to define the starting grid, with also a sort of reversal compared to Race 2. To replicate this in GT7, what would you do? I was thinking of simply making a reverse grid, maybe not for all 20 cars but at least for the first 15, or even less (the first 10?)... In short, what would you do?

2) Other info, which I'm not finding... Are the races currently always at least 30 miles each or are they longer?

3) For now I have a mini calendar of races already defined... Brands Hatch Indy, Goodwood, Blue Moon Bay Infield A for Rockingham, Brands Hatch GP... Maybe Road Atlanta for Oulton Park... What other tracks would you put? Maybe there is a Lago Maggiore layout that can vaguely remind Knockhill... I would like a calendar with more races obviously.
Regarding Knockhill i can advise you the C layout of Sardegna since they have a similar shape.

Is rubberbanding extreme in custom races?
So I created myself a 1 hour 24 hour cycle Le Mans race. My pit strategy was different from the AI. When I was ahead when the AI had pitted, the AI would gain 20 secs or more in a lap. The other way round if the AI was ahead.
Anyone else noticed this extreme difference? It kind of spoils the fun of a custom race :(

Is rubberbanding extreme in custom races?
So I created myself a 1 hour 24 hour cycle Le Mans race. My pit strategy was different from the AI. When I was ahead when the AI had pitted, the AI would gain 20 secs or more in a lap. The other way round if the AI was ahead.
Anyone else noticed this extreme difference? It kind of spoils the fun of a custom race :(

You can run for a good while with RH tires and 1x for fuel/tires, my personal default. Were you to mindlessly drive and pit when empty/worn, you would be driving the same strategy as the AI and not run into this extreme case…however ‘fun’ that might be relative to running more, shorter races. I enjoy the occasional long one but close analysis exposes the problems more than it does in shorter sprints.

With no pitting, you’re only dealing with ‘level one’ rubberband, and you can at least work against that with a good tune/BoP for your custom grid. To offer some optimism…

Last edited:
Any upgrades to any of the cars, yours or the other 19? Looked like a blast in VR. One day I hope. Lol

All cars are identical. I just pick which color I want to use and then watch in a replay.
IMG_3448.png
IMG_3449.png
IMG_3450.png
IMG_3451.png

My car:
  • TCS Off
  • ABS Default
  • Starting anywhere from P10 through P20
AI always have all aids active.

No need to nerf my own car or slow up. As usual, some situations with the AI are track dependent.

Last edited:
All cars are identical. I just pick which color I want to use and then watch in a replay.
View attachment 1307844View attachment 1307845View attachment 1307846View attachment 1307847

My car:
  • TCS Off
  • ABS Default
  • Starting anywhere from P10 through P20
AI always have all aids active.

No need to nerf my own car or slow up. As usual, some situations with the AI are track dependent.
Thank you for the info and settings!! I have an older Porsche Cup I did awhile ago and was toying with doing a full grid of the ‘22’s. Not too many upgrades so shouldn’t be too costly now that I had a golden Abarth for awhile. I haven’t spent very much of the $84M I made. 😉

Thank you for the info and settings!! I have an older Porsche Cup I did awhile ago and was toying with doing a full grid of the ‘22’s. Not too many upgrades so shouldn’t be too costly now that I had a golden Abarth for awhile. I haven’t spent very much of the $84M I made. 😉
Yeah, A few grand less than a Gr.3 car. About 106,000 in performance parts.
I use these specs
Max. power
375 kW (510 hp) at 8,400 rpm
Total weight
ca. 1,260 kg

Gearing
  • Gear ratios:
    • Ring & pinion gear 15/23 i = 1.533
    • Final drive 16/39 i = 2.438
    • 1st gear 13/41 i = 3.154
    • 2nd gear 17/40 i = 2.353
    • 3rd gear 20/37 i = 1.850
    • 4th gear 24/36 i = 1.500
    • 5th gear 24/30 i = 1.250
    • 6th gear 28/30 i = 1.071

Notice we can’t set the final drive as low. So, we’re stuck at the minimum 2.5. I messed with the individual gears to try and replicate, but was all over the shop. All I did was first set the Final drive to 2.5 and then, changed the Top Speed, one click down from 300 to 290. Didn’t touch individual gears.

Last edited:
Yeah, A few grand less than a Gr.3 car. About 106,000 in performance parts.
I use these specs
Max. power
375 kW (510 hp) at 8,400 rpm
Total weight
ca. 1,260 kg

Gearing
  • Gear ratios:
    • Ring & pinion gear 15/23 i = 1.533
    • Final drive 16/39 i = 2.438
    • 1st gear 13/41 i = 3.154
    • 2nd gear 17/40 i = 2.353
    • 3rd gear 20/37 i = 1.850
    • 4th gear 24/36 i = 1.500
    • 5th gear 24/30 i = 1.250
    • 6th gear 28/30 i = 1.071

Notice we can’t set the final drive as low. So, we’re stuck at the minimum 2.5. I messed with the individual gears to try and replicate, but was all over the shop. All I did was first set the Final drive to 2.5 and then, changed the Top Speed, one click down from 300 to 290. Didn’t touch individual gears.
Thank you VERY much!! Fantastic info. I hope I have some spare time this weekend. I’m going to do a full grid with all the info you’ve provided. Absolutely fantastic!

Classic mini racing - Custom race - 16 laps over very short track at KYOTO /Miyabi - 1.21miles - car specs giving 3 x car packs ( lap 8 = front pack lapping the middle pack who were themselves lapping the back pack which made it interesting)

1701457053748.png

1701457101552.png

1701457119606.png

1701457136215.png

Last edited:
hey there, thank you for the great inputs on custom races, great thread :) I made a 20 cars grid featuring famous JDM cars in touring car style and european ones like M3 e46, Audi TT. I spent hours balancing them with tuning setting and I'm having some great races.

I'd love to have a qualifying-mode to set the grid for a custom race. Is there any tweak to make this possible? Would be appreciated :)

Question to everybody:

Is this a new issue since the last update or is this an older problem(which I was lucky to not encounter before...) ?

Since a few days the engine sounds are almost gone whenever I exit the pits after a pitstop in my custom races...the sounds of the wind, the rackling of the body and some of the turbo sounds are still there, but the noise of the engine is almost gone completely...
Had the same issue 2 times. Just pause the race and resume to reset it

Hi guys!

These are some photos from the two first races of my custom gr.3 championship.

20 cars from different manufacturers and I'll be driving each one at least twice through the championship.

Two races at Mount Panorama (13 laps), Genesis won the first race and Jaguar won the second one.

There will be 39 more races on 20 different tracks.

I did some sort of qualifying for the first race and I'll also do it for the last one of the championship.
For the others I will use inverted grids based on the overall standings.

Next round: 2 races at Grand Valley Highway.

Race 1 - 01.jpg
Race 1 - 02.jpg
Race 1 - 03.jpg
Race 1 - 04.jpg
Race 1 - 05.jpg
Race 2 - 01.jpg
Race 2 - 02.jpg
Race 2 - 03.jpg
Race 2 -04.jpg
Race 2 -05.jpg

I wonder if its possible to hold a VGT race to give them some use... I can't imagine it being cheap though.
Of course you can. Keep in mind only hybrids and internal combustion engines can run together. Electric vehicles are limited to one make races.
You’re looking at twenty million, at least. Indeed, much more for the different colors and variants.

Back