Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,163 comments
Has anyone tried balancing the Porsche Taycan and the two Tesla models yet? I think doing some Electric GT custom races would be pretty cool if it’s possible. I don’t really have the time to do all the nitty gritty right now though.

20830230150588710.jpeg

Last edited:
Rough outing at Goodwood. Lol

Then on to Brands Hatch

I just finished a 70's Trans Am race at Laguna which was similarly epic, at the 8th lap, I pitted with no tyres left, came out knowing I was not the fastest car, was trying to work out the other cars strategies, decided to try and eek out fuel and tyres for the last 10 knowing that I had just burnt thru them all in 8, turned fuel map to 4 and drove conservatively but smoothly to protect tyres, had no idea if I would win, took the lead with 2 laps to go and got absolutely NAILED by a backmarker with no brakes going into the corkscrew, took victory by 5secs and won 192k... then wasted 10 minutes watching some replay and cycling through the cars.. I WONDER if Kaz knows how good his game could be, I wonder if he watched videos like yours and says "wow, why don't we do that" I wonder... sadly I think they are just lazy sacks of sheezels that spend too much of their time up donkey VGT bottoms, BUT, your vids, and the 16 custom races I have set up and many other people too, no doubt, show how great this game could be, all the elements are there, including the awesome livery community!

Testing vintage Daytona. Took me crazy long just get these two cars matched up. Let alone the Superbird to behave(still a little tweaking to do). Even longer was finishing a ten lap test session. Felt like that movie Edge of Tomorrow, with how many times I was taken out before finishing the race below. Unbelievable. :crazy:

The AI weren’t having it. The best passing is done low. I just could not join the big boys in the bottom apron. Closest I made, was nine laps, before being spun out. Similar to nearly being taken out in the above video. Never in my life of playing any GT game. This was hours of restarting races.

Here was a weird one. I cut a huge chunk of track at Interlagos and the game completely invalidated my lap. I started lap 2 twice. Thought I got away with something as the game usually resets you.

Also, here's a grid of some 70's racers.

Nice.
Road Atlanta is the most foot by foot, meter by metre(;) ) most exciting circuit to drive, in this game. Other than a minor tap of the brakes(sometimes), at the final corner, I believe the AI love this circuit too. ;)

Testing vintage Daytona. Took me crazy long just get these two cars matched up. Let alone the Superbird to behave(still a little tweaking to do). Even longer was finishing a ten lap test session. Felt like that movie Edge of Tomorrow, with how many times I was taken out before finishing the race below. Unbelievable. :crazy:

The AI weren’t having it. The best passing is done low. I just could not join the big boys in the bottom apron. Closest I made, was nine laps, before being spun out. Similar to nearly being taken out in the above video. Never in my life of playing any GT game. This was hours of restarting races.

Excellent. Thanks. It’s too bad that PD made the Superbird so unstable. Especially since it was the exact opposite in real life. Rock-solid and FAST. So much so, it was banned.

Excellent. Thanks. It’s too bad that PD made the Superbird so unstable. Especially since it was the exact opposite in real life. Rock-solid and FAST. So much so, it was banned.
Yeah, I evened the ride height to 150, stiffened rear ARB F5/R7, messed with the controller steering sensitivity -2 to 0(I have this as default). Car is scary in dirty air, but after all those hours, I’m used to it now. It’s just the freight train AI that kept having me off.

Waiting for that Charger to return. Once I dial that into the grid, I’ll try a 50 lap race. :scared:

Yeah, I evened the ride height to 150, stiffened rear ARB F5/R7, messed with the controller steering sensitivity -2 to 0(I have this as default). Car is scary in dirty air, but after all those hours, I’m used to it now. It’s just the freight train AI that kept having me off.

Waiting for that Charger to return. Once I dial that into the grid, I’ll try a 50 lap race. :scared:
I just ran, I mean, tried to run a 10-lapper with a full grid of Superbirds. You’re a better man than I am. Fifty laps, eh? 🤞

I ran a few 10-lappers at Blue Moon. I set up a NASCAR type grid using my 4 Superbirds, Pontiac GTOs, Super Bees, Chargers, and Boss 429s. Save for a few cars, the AI was, on a whole, not real aggressive. It seemed one car of each type was aggressive, one Boss 429 in particular would constantly dive-bomb me and would lose it, just to catch up to me before the next corner.

All settings on Professional, full grid, weak boost, strong draft.

Racing against a custom grid of opponents, all using the Dallara SF19. All liveries custom made. Indycar inspired.

I want this to be an online race so bad.

Just imagine this, but dropping the PP limit well below the max capability of the car. I wonder what sort of crazy setups people would come in with.

I want this to be an online race so bad.

Just imagine this, but dropping the PP limit well below the max capability of the car. I wonder what sort of crazy setups people would come in with.
I'm sure there are leagues out there doing something like that. Used to do it myself back on GT Sport, and probably will again on GT7 in the future.

While i was working on my Renault R5 Turbo Europacup-grid(more about that once the PS4 allows me, to make goog photos), I needed some distraction...and since it was almost x-mas then and there was snow outside(pretty rare this times in eastern Austria) I thought i give Lake Louise a try with some custom races...and i had fun

Did the same at the Sardegna rally track...and I had more fun

So I started to make a full grid. The Idea was to use only cars from the pre-4WD aera...once i had the grid together one thing lead to another, I made fitting liveries(or reused and altered already existing liveries), and came up with this:

The Playboy Rallycross Classics Championship(or How to have fun with GT7s rally tracks)

Basic Idea: only classic cars without 4WD, races on dirt tracks, snow and tarmac, one basic tune, only the tyres change accordingly...since i started this whole thing on snow, the basic tune was around 470PP with snow tires
I used very different cars, and after some test races i decided to make it a two class championship, group A (901kg and more) and a group B(less than 900kg)

The Cars used:
Group A:Lancia Stratos, Porsche 911 Turbo '81, VW Sambabus(swapped), Mustang Mach1, VW Beetle(swapped), Nissan Skyline GT-R '71, Shelby GT350, Camaro Z28 '69, Pontiac GTO, Citroen DS

Group B: Nissan Fairlady Z '70, Alfa Giulia Sprint GTV, Renault R5 Turbo, Honda S800(swapped), Alpine A110, Renault Gordini, VW Golf I GTI, Mini Cooper, Toyota Sports 800, Autobianchi A112 Abarth

The Tracks/Races:
Fishermans Ranch(10laps)
Colorado(13laps)
Horsethief Mile(33laps)
Tsukuba(rain!23 laps)
Sardegna (23laps)
Sardegna(13laps)
Catalunya Rallycross(40 minutes)
Lake Louise short(13laps)
Lake Louise tri oval(13laps)
Lake Louise long(26laps)

After the second race in Sardegna there was a cut and the 4 worst cars in the championship had to split(because Catalunya RC and lake Louise only can take 16 cars), the first ten per race get points(15-12-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1, plus an extra point for fastest lap), the two races on tarmac hat 10/10 for fuel and tyre-wear and full damage...I was always driving the worst car in the overall classement(ore the next worse, when I have already used that car)
For the two tarmac races, the cars used their default tyres (which was a big advatage for the 911, because it was the only one with CS tyres)
Starting order:first race random, any other race reverse finishing order from last race with my car coming last)

And I know, we are supposed to hate the rally tracks in GT7, but I was rarely having that much fun with custom races before...from driving them, but also and even more from watching the replays...
One of the best thing about it: the whole field sticks together more and longer than in "normal" races...

Another postive point: the difference between the differnt drive trains(FF, FR, RR, MR) and differnt cars with the same drive train(heavy muscle vs light sports car)is much more pronounced than on tarmac, and there was hardly a car that was equally good on each surface, so the overall championship was rally exiting, two races before the end there were stiill four cars that could win...

So here are the results and some picture-because the PS4 was kind to me and didn't crash every time I tried to save a picture...(the names a pure fantasy, but many of them used in other custom races I do, so quite familar for me...)

The overall winner(winning LL tri oval and landing on the podium in 3 more races): Gustavo Frankone(ITA)/Lancia Stratos

stratos.jpg

Finishing 2nd overall (dominating both tarmac races and finishing 4 times on the podium): Kai Altschul(D) with the 911 Turbo

911.jpg

Overall 3rd place and winnig Group B (and the only car that scored points in any race!,3 podiums):
Andy Sniffer(AUS) in the Fairlady Z
Also on the picture:
Carlo Bialetti(ITA) in the Alfa(2nd place Group B, overall 6th, winning the second race in Sardegna and making one more Podium)
Maurice Tresor(FRA) in the R5 Turbo(3rd Group B,2 podiums, overall 10th)

z, giulia, r5.jpg

4th place overall(winning Colorado, Catalunya and LL long, only car with podiums on all surfaces...but not very good when starting from the back...Peter Waechter(D) in the engine swapped Sambabus

samba.jpg

5th place, dominating car on mud, winning Fisherman's, 3 podiums: Jay Richard(CAN) with the Mustang Mach1
(in the back, Ragnotti/Renault Gordini and Sakamoto in the Honda S800...both made it to the final 16)

mustang.jpg

The whole grid:
rallycross whole grid.jpg

Some action
rallycross action 1.jpg
rallycross action 2.jpg
rallycross action 3.jpg

white castle.jpg

All I can say, even if you share the opinion that rally sucks in GT7, give it a try, you will not regret it...I also think, that those non 4WD cars are better for a goog and more rewarding driving experience on mud and snow in GT7 than 4WD cars...

Last edited:
While i was working on my Renault R5 Turbo Europacup-grid(more about that once the PS4 allows me, to make goog photos), I needed some distraction...and since it was almost x-mas then and there was snow outside(pretty rare this times in eastern Austria) I thought i give Lake Louise a try with some custom races...and i had fun

So I started to make a full grid. The Idea was to use only cars from the pre-4WD aera...once i had the grid together one thing lead to another, I made fitting liveries(or reused and altered already existing liveries), and came up with this:

The Playboy Rallycross Classics Championship(or How to have fun with GT7s rally tracks)

Basic Idea: only classic cars without 4WD, races on dirt tracks, snow and tarmac, one basic tune, only the tyres change accordingly...since i started this whole thing on snow, the basic tune was around 470PP with snow tires
I used very different cars, and after some test races i decided to make it a two class championship, group A (901kg and more) and a group B(less than 900kg)

The Cars used:
Group A:Lancia Stratos, Porsche 911 Turbo '81, VW Sambabus(swapped), Mustang Mach1, VW Beetle(swapped), Nissan Skyline GT-R '71, Shelby GT350, Camaro Z28 '69, Pontiac GTO, Citroen DS

Group B: Nissan Fairlady Z '70, Alfa Giulia Sprint GTV, Renault R5 Turbo, Honda S800(swapped), Alpine A110, Renault Gordini, VW Golf I GTI, Mini Cooper, Toyota Sports 800, Autobianchi A112 Abarth

The Tracks/Races:
Fishermans Ranch(10laps)
Colorado(13laps)
Horsethief Mile(33laps)
Tsukuba(rain!23 laps)
Sardegna (23laps)
Sardegna(13laps)
Lake Louise long(26laps)

After the second race in Sardegna there was a cut and the 4 worst cars in the championship had to split(because Catalunya RC and lake Louise only can take 16 cars), the first ten per race get points(15-12-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1, plus an extra point for fastest lap), the two races on tarmac hat 10/10 for fuel and tyre-wear and full damage...I was always driving the worst car in the overall classement(ore the next worse, when I have already used that car)
For the two tarmac races, the cars used their default tyres (which was a big advatage for the 911, because it was the only one with CS tyres)
Starting order:first race random, any other race reverse finishing order from last race with my car coming last)

And I know, we are supposed to hate the rally tracks in GT7, but I was rarely having that much fun with custom races before...from driving them, but also and even more from watching the replays...
One of the best thing about it: the whole field sticks together more and longer than in "normal" races...

Another postive point: the difference between the differnt drive trains(FF, FR, RR, MR) and differnt cars with the same drive train(heavy muscle vs light sports car)is much more pronounced than on tarmac, and there was hardly a car that was equally good on each surface, so the overall championship was rally exiting, two races before the end there were stiill four cars that could win...

So here are the results and some picture-because the PS4 was kind to me and didn't crash every time I tried to save a picture...(the names a pure fantasy, but many of them used in other custom races I do, so quite familar for me...)

The overall winner(winning LL tri oval and landing on the podium in 3 more races): Gustavo Frankone(ITA)/Lancia Stratos

View attachment 1320377

Finishing 2nd overall (dominating both tarmac races and finishing 4 times on the podium): Kai Altschul(D) with the 911 Turbo

View attachment 1320379

Overall 3rd place and winnig Group B (and the only car that scored points in any race!,3 podiums):
Also on the picture:
Carlo Bialetti(ITA) in the Alfa(2nd place Group B, overall 6th, winning the second race in Sardegna and making one more Podium)

View attachment 1320380

4th place overall(winning Colorado, Catalunya and LL long, only car with podiums on all surfaces...but not very good when starting from the back...Peter Waechter(D) in the engine swapped Sambabus

View attachment 1320381

5th place, dominating car on mud, winning Fisherman's, 3 podiums: Jay Richard(CAN) with the Mustang Mach1
(in the back, Ragnotti/Renault Gordini and Sakamoto in the Honda S800...both made it to the final 16)

View attachment 1320382

The whole grid:
View attachment 1320383
Some action
View attachment 1320384View attachment 1320385View attachment 1320386
View attachment 1320388

All I can say, even if you share the opinion that rally sucks in GT7, give it a try, you will not regret it...I also think, that those non 4WD cars are better for a goog and more rewarding driving experience on mud and snow in GT7 than 4WD cars...
That was awesome, congrats!!

Now I want to take the Mustang for a spin offroad as well and use some of your ideas as inspiration.

Last edited:
That was awesome, congrats!!

Now I want to take the Mustang for a spin in offroad as well and use some of your ideas as inspiration.
Give it an adjustable suspension and rise it up(somwhere between 140 and 160) and stiffen the dampers up to maximum...(at least that's what I did to all cars...)

I actuall checked out the suspension settigs from the 4WD rally cars in my garage and adjusted the suspension-settings accordingly to get close( so for the small FR cars I tried to get close to the settings from the small Peugeot rally car, for the FR I took the settings from the Toxota Corolla as reference...)

The small FR cars also like a little bit of weight on the front...

The Cars used:

The Tracks/Races:
Fishermans Ranch(10laps)
Colorado(13laps)
Horsethief Mile(33laps)
Tsukuba(rain!23 laps)
Sardegna (23laps)
Sardegna(13laps)
Lake Louise long(26laps)

View attachment 1320377

View attachment 1320379

Also on the picture:

View attachment 1320380

View attachment 1320381

View attachment 1320382

The whole grid:
View attachment 1320383
Some action
View attachment 1320384View attachment 1320385View attachment 1320386
View attachment 1320388

This is sick! Awesome post, too. Very detailed and fun pics despite ps4 :)

Tell me more about your BoP within the two categories. Looks fun to try but a lot of work to do completely and wary I’ll get stuck with the wrong tunes. Did you do much aside from stiffening/heightening suspension?

I have a rally grid I’ve been slowly working on but missed the mark on balance. I think my mistake was trying to combine Gr.B with ‘road rally’ cars like the swapped Jeep, Lancia, and Escudo. It’s slow going and sitting on my back burner.

Another question - and maybe this is where the non-AWD comes in - is regarding the AI lines…I feel like it’s easy to outperform them in Custom Races if you’re coming fresh out of, say, the Lake Louise Circuit Experience. Curious to get your opinion, @Batschisane52 .

This is sick! Awesome post, too. Very detailed and fun pics despite ps4 :)

Tell me more about your BoP within the two categories. Looks fun to try but a lot of work to do completely and wary I’ll get stuck with the wrong tunes. Did you do much aside from stiffening/heightening suspension?

I have a rally grid I’ve been slowly working on but missed the mark on balance. I think my mistake was trying to combine Gr.B with ‘road rally’ cars like the swapped Jeep, Lancia, and Escudo. It’s slow going and sitting on my back burner.

Another question - and maybe this is where the non-AWD comes in - is regarding the AI lines…I feel like it’s easy to outperform them in Custom Races if you’re coming fresh out of, say, the Lake Louise Circuit Experience. Curious to get your opinion, @Batschisane52 .
Like I posted, my basic tune was 470 PP with snow tires...for the bigger cars like the US.muscle cars there wasn't much more extra tuning needed, to reach that goal(for example the Mach 1 only has the suspension where you can adjust the height/dampers and the first weight reduction), while cars like the Autobianchi Abarth have pretty much every tuning part there is available...the only thing I did to every single car was adjustig the height and put the dampers to the max
It would be a little bit too much for the forum if I post every single car and tune here, but I can send you some, if you contact me...

The reason why I went for two categories was simply that, that some of the smaller and lighter cars, tough having almost identical PP, stood no chance against the big ones, but I wanted them be in the grid(the Fairlady and the Giulia were the big exceptions, they were on par with the bigger ones)

So while all the cars had more or less thesame PP in the snow, that all changed when the tyres changed...to stay with the examples, the Mach1 comes to 499 with mud tyres, the Autobianchi had 501, the gaps were even bigger on tarmac with their default tyres...but I didn't care about that, I was going more for fun here than for accuracy,balance and realism..

When it comes to the racing lines i guess there was more variety with the racing lines because I got cars with 3 different drive types(FR,RR,MR) on the start, and like mentioned earlier, even cars with same drive type drove quite differntly from each other( the heavy muscle cars vs. the lighter FR cars like the Fairlady or the Giulia GTV) and used differnt lines...when all cars have 4WD my guess would be, that most of them have the same racing line...and if they all use the same line, it's easier to beat them, when you do something differntly...

But like I said, my main perspective with this grid was to have fun, so didn't spend as much time with balancing out the tunes as normally(for example I am still fiddling around with the perfect tune for that R5 Turbo Europacup grid)...and I was quite lucky and very happy about the way it turned out!

BTW: when it comes to mixing GrB cars with rally tuned road cars, I was quite suprised, that I coud beat the AI with their GrB cars in my Lancia Deta(rally tuned, 600PP, no swap) in this weeks weekly race at the Catalunya Rally Cross Track(but I guess that happened only because the AI is just really bad there...)

So I hope, I could answer some questions here...

Last edited:
Forgive me for asking - is it still true setting AI boost to “Weak” is more competitive than that of “Strong”?

I have my custom racing series ready to go (will try to show some things from it on here at some point hopefully) and want to ensure racing is competitive in such a way I’m not going to finish first place easily?

I also may reduce the PP of my car to around 600pp (opponents are 630pp) if that helps even more.

Forgive me for asking - is it still true setting AI boost to “Weak” is more competitive than that of “Strong”?

I have my custom racing series ready to go (will try to show some things from it on here at some point hopefully) and want to ensure racing is competitive in such a way I’m not going to finish first place easily?

I also may reduce the PP of my car to around 600pp (opponents are 630pp) if that helps even more.
I think that is still accurate.

Another thing I’ve noticed, on one opponent specifically, the ASM is turned off but all other opponent cars have theirs left on - anyone know why this is the case and perhaps how to turn them off on opponent cars?

I appreciate it may be a silly question but I don’t know why this is occurring.

Back