Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,293 comments

1965 F1 grid. Cars are duplicated between team mates except the Honda drivers. The grid consists of everyone from the full 65 season including two drivers who took park in the first round in South Africa. Cars are power restricted toward the back of the grid between 95 - 99 so there is minor variability between performance. Drivers also start in the position that they finished the championship in. It's great fun!

I'm a bit late getting to this post, but I am doing the same custom series. :)

Got in way over my head and way off track, but wanted to follow up on my last suggestion with something. I’ll update the below table as I continue to tinker, for any future passers-by.

Sort of ran away with DTM, then Group A, then added a Porsche 964… I would still like to get back to testing our various methods for balance, but I defaulted to the ‘iterative’ method here, though I am running across several circuits to try and find an aggregate balance (and have some fun variety). So far so good, my tunes were initially based on a cross between what was shared above by @A_Higher_Place, @05XR8’s Gr.A/DTM tunes, and whatever I could dig up online - pretty cool finding PDFs of late ‘80s homologation docs! Ballast/etc. has played a role to chase balance after a few tests, to the detriment of ‘perfect replica.’

Because we all wanted ANOTHER batch of these tunes… hah:

| Car | HP | kg | lbs |
|--------|-----|---------|-------|
| Ford | 426 | 1,100 | 2,425 |
| Supra | 509 | 1,332 | 2,937 |
| R32 | 521 | 1,402 | 3,095 |
|M3 Evo| 350 | 983 | 2,167 |
| 155 | 380 | 1,111 | 2,447 |
| 190E | 356 | 1,046 | 2,304 |
| 964 | 400 | 1,231 | 2,714 |

50/150 downforce as a baseline, though not on the R32 or Supra. Alfa Romeo’s is minimized but thinking the extra rear downforce could be needed to keep it in check. Set homologated gear ratios and adjusted final to bring them all to a common top speed (300kph). My personal tune knocks the Power Restrictor down to 90ish and shortens the final gear to bring the top speed to 280kph. Can share specific tune sheets if there’s interest.

Loaded up a 20-car grid after amassing 10 or so unique cars. Threw a nerfed version of @A_Higher_Place’s swapped M3 in there for good measure and had a great 10-lapper on a randomized Spa. I finished 4th in a Cosworth.

Thanks for all the inspiration, gang!

View attachment 1311317
View attachment 1311318
View attachment 1311319
View attachment 1311320
View attachment 1311321
Tacking onto my above post, I put my race onto youtube as well, VR-style! It’s exposed to me that I must lean forward and/or tilt my head back when racing…looking through the lower part of the headset/screen, over my nose. It looks like I am driving with my chin over the steering wheel, haha. I’ll work on that!

I think I will end up styling this grid “DTM and Friends” as I am reading the Nissan Z32 was a touring car winner in America, the Mazda FCS RX-7 was in consideration for GroupA (rotary engines had a 1.8 multiplier to engine displacement when turbos were 1.4…could explain why they couldn’t produce a competitive entrant and scrapped the project), and that C4 Corvette has been winking at me from the UCD all week. Feel like it could challenge the Alfa 155, Nissan R32, and Porsche 964…my current front-runners.

To this last one - does anyone know why, other than “it’s (marketed as) a sports car,” the C4 would not be GroupA-able? It looks like a ton of them were produced, enough to pass the homologation benchmark. It has a big fat engine, so maybe I am overlooking stricter displacement rulings (in regional series?) that exist beyond the general Group A definition I found here - https://historicdb.fia.com/sites/default/files/regulations/1439541317/appendix_j_1986.pdf

IMG_4885.jpeg

IMG_4888.jpeg

Tacking onto my above post, I put my race onto youtube as well, VR-style! It’s exposed to me that I must lean forward and/or tilt my head back when racing…looking through the lower part of the headset/screen, over my nose. It looks like I am driving with my chin over the steering wheel, haha. I’ll work on that!

I think I will end up styling this grid “DTM and Friends” as I am reading the Nissan Z32 was a touring car winner in America, the Mazda FCS RX-7 was in consideration for GroupA (rotary engines had a 1.8 multiplier to engine displacement when turbos were 1.4…could explain why they couldn’t produce a competitive entrant and scrapped the project), and that C4 Corvette has been winking at me from the UCD all week. Feel like it could challenge the Alfa 155, Nissan R32, and Porsche 964…my current front-runners.

To this last one - does anyone know why, other than “it’s (marketed as) a sports car,” the C4 would not be GroupA-able? It looks like a ton of them were produced, enough to pass the homologation benchmark. It has a big fat engine, so maybe I am overlooking stricter displacement rulings (in regional series?) that exist beyond the general Group A definition I found here - https://historicdb.fia.com/sites/default/files/regulations/1439541317/appendix_j_1986.pdf

View attachment 1311746

View attachment 1311747

“Number of Seats”

OK, so I've only just found out about the GT website for viewing your in-game progress and photos etc.
Finally, I can start adding some photos to my posts in here.

Starting with my British Touring Car Championship (BTCC) 2022 edition pics.
I have specifically tuned the cars differently so that the BMW's have more power on the straights and the top drivers have slightly faster cars than the slower drivers.
I follow the BTCC format of having 3 races at each location, with the 3rd race being a reverse grid format.
To keep in fun I always start the first race in last and have short races so that I don't always win and the championship is tight.

Here's some pics from Brands Hatch.....
1702640968420.png

1702640995682.png

1702641056291.png

In the spirit of Trans-Am and Best Motoring Battles at 10,000 RPM, messing with small displacement RWD sedans. No sixes.

10,000 RPM for the MX-5s and 11,200 for the AE86. 9400-9700 RPM for the E30 & Evo. 8700 RPM for the turbo cars. Love it.
Need an Silvia Q’s and S2000. Definitely missing the 2002 and Bluebird/510 we had in GT6. Wish we had the Altezza RS200 as well.:lol:

In the spirit of Trans-Am and Best Motoring Battles at 10,000 RPM, messing with small displacement RWD sedans. No sixes.

10,000 RPM for the MX-5s and 11,200 for the AE86. 9400-9700 RPM for the E30 & Evo. 8700 RPM for the turbo cars. Love it.
Need an Silvia Q’s and S2000. Definitely missing the 2002 and Bluebird/510 we had in GT6. Wish we had the Altezza RS200 as well.:lol:

What do you mean by no sixes?

What do you mean by no sixes?
Six-cylinders.

As much as I want to use the Z cars and Skylines and CSLs, just wanted to use small displacement engines of 4-cylinders and the rotary.
I haven’t detuned the R31 Skyline Silhouette engine to see if can get below 200bhp. If it can drop that low, it‘s an option I’d use for the Ken-Meri and Hakosuka.

Really disappointed with these.
20970172132321246.jpg

Every track, the programming needs to be upgraded. I’ve had better programming with slower cars. Just no life from the AI.

Switched to a few other series and the difference is night and day.

Single play, spectating or B-Spec would be best for the Abarth. Time trials as well.

Is it me or is the AI less frantic in custom races than quick races (no sophy)?
Probably depends how big A gap you make when in P1. I noticed, just did a couple 10-lap races in “GT4” cars, where the P3 AI get brutal to get past the slower AI in P2, just so it can boost to catch up to me.

Finished my Mazdas last night, well a couple of the liveries didn’t show in the race. Not sure why. Anyway, had a few drinks by the time I tried them out. Going to try the 22’s next.

If you have liveries that don't show and can catch it before you get too far into your race, go back to race settings and change any setting by 1 toggle point and they will load properly. I usually +1/-1 lap and it fixes it. Your field looks like great fun!

If you have liveries that don't show and can catch it before you get too far into your race, go back to race settings and change any setting by 1 toggle point and they will load properly. I usually +1/-1 lap and it fixes it. Your field looks like great fun!
Thanks for this great tip. I’ll have to remember this although I’ve never had it happen before thankfully. Weird. Hoping I finish the 22’s and get to try them out today.

It happens to me often, when I adjust body parts and/or some decals on cars. I just restart the race and the liveries load at the countdown or just as the cars pull away from the grid start.

Here’s s my Mazda 22’s test. All cars are tuned exactly the same (not my tune) except 7 are wide bodies. I raised all the rears by 10 after this, they seemed to be riding awfully low. Not sure why I have such greater straight line speed than everyone else. Is that the ai using only 95% throttle? Although I am much slower at the start. It was fun. Somebody tell me if I should stop posting crap. Lol

They run high, but I prefer a lowered look, for replay and picture purposes. That‘s my standard look, since that’s how the cars look, in first two Gran Turismos.

Me, personally, I’m not setting up for optimum performance. I want to see that wheel under the fender, during full suspension compression. :)

Road Atlanta is that track. I think the AI programming love this circuit too. :lol:

Hi everyone!
I'm trying to create custom races with an old school grid like Alfa Giulia, E-Type, Skyline 70 and 73, Gordini, Stingray, Fairlady Z, etc. I'm using 530 pp setup in order to balance all of them and make them fun to drive with low power and low weight. Because of that, I'm using Sport Soft tires, not Racing slick tires. The problem is, when I select these cars from garage, they are using normal tires, as these are default. This make me too much faster than opponents. I tried to put Racing Hard, and this option works well. The opponents start using RH tires too. I already searched over the Internet about this issue, without any solution. Does someone already found some solution for that? For now, I have in mind enter with Sport Soft in my car, and the opponents with RH to have some challenge.

Hi everyone!
I'm trying to create custom races with an old school grid like Alfa Giulia, E-Type, Skyline 70 and 73, Gordini, Stingray, Fairlady Z, etc. I'm using 530 pp setup in order to balance all of them and make them fun to drive with low power and low weight. Because of that, I'm using Sport Soft tires, not Racing slick tires. The problem is, when I select these cars from garage, they are using normal tires, as these are default. This make me too much faster than opponents. I tried to put Racing Hard, and this option works well. The opponents start using RH tires too. I already searched over the Internet about this issue, without any solution. Does someone already found some solution for that? For now, I have in mind enter with Sport Soft in my car, and the opponents with RH to have some challenge.

This is well discussed in this thread. It's either RH tyres or stock tyres for AI opponents. If you run SS tyres then maybe you can have fun with AI on RH.

Last edited:
Happy ‘24, custom racers. Still working to tighten up this grid but here are a few shots from an IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge setup I’m building out.

IMG_5013.jpeg

IMG_5010.jpeg

IMG_5012.jpeg

IMG_5011.jpeg

IMG_5009.jpeg

IMG_5008.jpeg

Had a pretty good run at BMB-A today, too. Pardon the overshare! Eager to see what you lot have been up to :)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back