Gran Turismo 7 Game Size?

And since there's a mention about PlayStation Direct talking about the size of the PS4 version in the replies:

While it only hints at minimum storage size, this also confirms that the PS4 version will have an install and play disc.
Side thing I noticed is that this is for PS4 and is 2-20 players on network. Possibility that online lobbies have been increased from 16 to 20 on PS4?

Adds to the possibility that PS5 may receive larger lobbies again for PS5 players only?

Last edited:
Side thing I noticed is that this is for PS4 and is 2-20 players on network. Possibility that online lobbies have been increased from 16 to 20 on PS4?

Adds to the possibility that PS5 may receive larger lobbies again for PS5 players only?
Probably for Sport Mode races; these are up to 20 players.

Gonna take me at least 48 hours to download the PS4 Version and that's before the Day 1 Patch , thank god I updated my PS4 to a 2TB SSD :scared:

I estimate 140GB of size, given current GTS size is around 110GB. That's unless they are able to do some fanciful compression techniques.

It's truly mad that any sites are running with this right now.

Whoever TwistedVoxel is claimed the 110GB figure was on the PS Store page. As far as I can tell, it wasn't. The page doesn't appear to have had any updates at all this year, never mind one to add this value (which doesn't appear on any game's PS Store page) and then another to remove it. The page as it looks now is identical to the page as it looked three weeks ago.

The 110GB figure does appear on the PlayStation Direct page (in regions where it is available) - and that seems to have been more recently updated - but it's problematic. It appears on both the PS4 and PS5 titles, and there's no feasible way that's even close to correct.

PS5 is literally designed to stream compressed data from the SSD, with Kraken unpacking data at three times the speed of PS4's Zlib. You're looking at PS5 versions of PS4 games taking up a third of the HDD space in some cases; a 110GB PS4 install could be as little as 40GB on the PS5, and should be nowhere near even 70GB.

All that said, 110GB for GT7 on PS4 seems reasonable enough, if a little lowball, to me. The PS5 figure is clearly just copied from it. Unless the PS5 version really is 110GB (which would be a shock), in which case the PS4 value is the copy and the true figure could be 200GB+.

Either way, nobody should be running with this as fact right now because one of those values is clearly wrong.

Uh... Well if it's much larger than GTS (not that it surprises me tbh) I may have to change my PS4 to the newest system, it's been a good boy since 2014 but it's time to move on I guess.

Uh... Well if it's much larger than GTS (not that it surprises me tbh) I may have to change my PS4 to the newest system, it's been a good boy since 2014 but it's time to move on I guess.
You don't have to retire your PS4. You can install a custom sized HDD/SDD into the console and install the official firmware that Sony has lying around somewhere on their site.

You don't have to retire your PS4. You can install a custom sized HDD/SDD into the console and install the official firmware that Sony has lying around somewhere on their site.
...That's something I need to think thoroughly-

It's truly mad that any sites are running with this right now.

Whoever TwistedVoxel is claimed the 110GB figure was on the PS Store page. As far as I can tell, it wasn't. The page doesn't appear to have had any updates at all this year, never mind one to add this value (which doesn't appear on any game's PS Store page) and then another to remove it. The page as it looks now is identical to the page as it looked three weeks ago.

The 110GB figure does appear on the PlayStation Direct page (in regions where it is available) - and that seems to have been more recently updated - but it's problematic. It appears on both the PS4 and PS5 titles, and there's no feasible way that's even close to correct.

PS5 is literally designed to stream compressed data from the SSD, with Kraken unpacking data at three times the speed of PS4's Zlib. You're looking at PS5 versions of PS4 games taking up a third of the HDD space in some cases; a 110GB PS4 install could be as little as 40GB on the PS5, and should be nowhere near even 70GB.

All that said, 110GB for GT7 on PS4 seems reasonable enough, if a little lowball, to me. The PS5 figure is clearly just copied from it. Unless the PS5 version really is 110GB (which would be a shock), in which case the PS4 value is the copy and the true figure could be 200GB+.

Either way, nobody should be running with this as fact right now because one of those values is clearly wrong.
It's the "Dave Meltzer Effect" - publish speculation/false info as gospel fact for clicks.

If the game on PS5 takes up 110GB with that kraken compression, I would suspect the PS4 version to be around 150+GB
Keep in mind not every cross game offers higher quality assets. On one hand the compression will make the game smaller and on the other hand higher quality assets will need more space.
So much for "releasing the Kraken", I guess.
A game being above 100GB isn't a indicator kraken wasn't utilized.
Regardless of the numbers being accurate or not, your assumption is wrong. If the PS5 version uses much higher quality assets, then the versions could be much closer than 1/3 or even 1/2. The game could easily be 70GB or above on PS5 and be 110-120 on PS4.

Last edited:
Kraken is only like 10% improvement in compression from zlib available on PS4 and PS5 and if they are struggling for space on disc then Leviathan would be even better and use of Oodle Texture. PDI don't like using tools of others though so maybe they don't even use it but hopefully they do. Main thing is dynamic weather and time should help a lot to reduce file size compared to GT Sport for the longer tracks. Hopefully there is not much of a quality drop and performance hit on PS4. Difference in PS5 and PS4 size could be more on savings of data duplication if that compensates higher quality assets of PS5 version.

Back