Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,381 comments
This is why Gr. 2 is one of the least-represented (and least attractive) racing category in GT Sport thus far, due to the fact that it only has six cars.

One way to counter this, and that’s IF this feature returns from GT5, is to have Race Modifications to other cars to create Gr.2 race cars, such as Opel, Ford and Chevrolet “Super Touring Cars”
F98B197D-D947-481D-8710-3689925A50AD.jpeg D568EA9C-4F31-4179-BB9B-4D2E3DE44661.png
C192566F-5F75-4EC4-B81B-0A18CB18C935.png

I think Sega has a right of latest Super GT cars because Sega released an arcade game Sega World Drivers Championship (SWDC), which uses latest Super GT cars. But SWDC ends April 2021. So PD may get a right.

A fresh new way to use the GT2000 intro, rather than the same old stale memery (for context, the original GT2000 intro contains both footage from Seattle playable demo and SSR5 tech demo in the first half, and GT2 intro footage in the second half):

I had an unusual question. We know the RX-7 FD (Series 8) is in GT Sport, but what if it returned in GT7 with the addition of a Series 6 model of the RX-7 FD? Personally, I think the differences between the two may be too minute to warrant the inclusion of a Series 6 model, whereas with the RX-8, I think there's enough differences between the first and second-generation models to include both. Then again, I believe the Series 6 is the earliest incarnation of the FD, whereas the Series 8 was the last, with six years between the respective debut of each iteration - 1992 and 1998. Ideally, I'd like to see both a Series 6 and an 8 when it comes to the FD.

The S6 RX-7 has a long history in the GT series (I think it only skipped 3 and Sport) and I've always preferred it to the post-facelift cars. I would love to see it make an appearance in 7.

Somewhat related...I know people tend to dislike the "duplicate" cars that were so prevalent in GT2, GT4, GT5 and GT6, but I actually really like the encyclopedic nature of it. The way I see it is this: most of the hard work of the model creation is done, so making permutations of the different trims and such is a pretty small task and the result is that the game feels more robust and, I think, immersive. One thing that irks me about the Forza series is that mainstream/volume variants of cars are typically* not included - you only get the highest trim typically. So while, yes, a 993 GT2 is probably a more desirable car than a 993 Carrera and a Mustang Cobra R is a more prestigious car than a Mustang Cobra or GT (new edge generation), I sometimes prefer the more ubiquitous versions of those cars**. In an ideal world, the car purchase menu in a game like GT7 would have a model and a trim selection. So if you want to buy a new Porsche you go to Porsche dealer, select the 911 model, and then select which trim (Base, Carrera S, Turbo, GT3, etc) you want. Of course, this is no longer GT2 era where it's a small task to create a car, so this is probably too unwieldy, but I can dream.

*the exception to this is brand new generations of cars, such as the recently added C8 Corvette and somewhat recently added 992 Carrera, but even in that case its only the Carrera S with, somewhat confoundingly, wood trim interior.

**I think this has something to do with projection. A base 993 Carrera is sort of a blank canvas, you can see it however you want to see it - rally car? sure why not. time attack? absolutely. kind of stock and warmed over daily driver plus? yeah. But a GT2 is such a specific version of that car and the fact that it's the only model of that generation featured feels sort of arbitrary and limiting.

Trying to get back on topic, the long and short of it is that I hope that where fleshing out different trims of the same car model is not a huge expenditure of resources, I hope PD verges on inclusivity.

I assume you say the same thing about the content in GT1 and GT3?

Gt1 and GT3 had more content than GT Sport ;)
More tracks and more cars.

no doubt GT Sport got great with all this free dlc but the very first days were just crazy in terms of content and Gt1 had more cars and a solid GT Mode.

GT3 also had this.

Gt1 and GT3 had more content than GT Sport ;)
More tracks and more cars.

no doubt GT Sport got great with all this free dlc but the very first days were just crazy in terms of content and Gt1 had more cars and a solid GT Mode.

GT3 also had this.
GT1 had 140 cars, GT Sport launched with 168. GT1 had 11 tracks, GT Sport launched with 29. GT3 had 181 cars and 34 tracks, so slightly more content than GT Sport. I'd call GT Sport and GT3 close, GT1 had a lot less (particularly tracks) than GT Sport had.

Yes both GT1 and GT3 had a single player career mode but neither had online, and GT Sport was focused very much on the online competetive aspect hence the reason the single player career came later.

Last edited:
GT1 had 140 cars, GT Sport launched with 168. GT1 had 11 tracks, GT Sport launched with 29. GT3 had 181 cars and 34 tracks, so slightly more content than GT Sport. I'd call GT Sport and GT3 close, GT1 had a lot less (particularly tracks) than GT Sport had.

Yes both GT1 and GT3 had a single player career mode but neither had online, and GT Sport was focused very much on the online competetive aspect hence the reason the single player career came later.

What if GT7 had only 100 cars and a million variations of those vehicles, OH No! :indiff::lol:

This was posted in the new Z car thread in the Auto News section, but while watching it I couldn't help but notice that it looked very PD and Gran Turismo. Am I wrong? Wouldn't be surprised if this car ended up in GT7 but this might be a hint.

Knowing the relationship there's really no doubt in my mind that PD made that and it'll also be in GT7.

And I can't say I'm surprised to have reached 100 pages off of one trailer 6 months ago.

This was posted in the new Z car thread in the Auto News section, but while watching it I couldn't help but notice that it looked very PD and Gran Turismo. Am I wrong? Wouldn't be surprised if this car ended up in GT7 but this might be a hint.

There were a few things that really stood out to me.

The blinkers/hazards - looked really similar to GTS when cars stop moving in preview mode.

There was a shot from the front of the 400Z that had some refraction of light off the road surface that reminded me a lot of the “sparkle” effect sometimes seen on some surfaces in GTS.

One of the panning shots on the banking looked like it had motion blur rendered in a really similar way to GTS replay cameras.

The environment itself stylistically kind of reminds me of the forest in the GTS menu scenes used to show off DLC cars fresh after a new update. There’s plenty of detail on the focus points but background and surrounding areas look somewhat low detail - like it was meant for pre-set shots and not intended for extensive exploration.

It’d be neat if this is GT7/PD’s rendering but not really much to discuss till it’s confirmed.

Last edited:
Hey, PD helped Toyota see the GR Supra virtually, before the car debuted. It's possible PD helped Nissan, at some stage, with this car.
Most likely this is an early build(no tyre smoke). :sly:

Idk man, the car's handling animations looks a bit...... janky.

Also, NO REAL-TIME RAYTRACING.

Doesn’t look like gran turismo to me. The way car moves feels off... like someone animated it. The track looks incredibly generic and no near usual PD attention to environmental details. Oh, and no real-time raytracing

Last edited:
That certainly has a Gran Turismo vibe to it. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Polyphony made it. Regardless, I'd be amazed if the Nissan Z 2021 wasn't in GT7.

Also, the red coloured leaves on the trees reminded me of Autumn Ring.

Last edited:
It's definitely not Forza - way too much detail inside the blinkers. Also, all of those Zs have appeared in previous titles, including the anniversary 350Z. And is that track a suggestion of Autumn Ring?
Reminds me of a mix of Autumn Ring, High Speed Ring and a sprinkle of Mid-Field(very small sprinkle. Like, half a sprinkle).

Those camera angles are way too similar to those used in GT Sport. It can't be a coincidence.

That certainly has a Gran Turismo vibe to it. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Polyphony made it. Regardless, I'd be amazed if the Nissan Z 2021 wasn't in GT7.
GT7 COVER CAR CONFIRMED

Doesn’t look like gran turismo to me. The way car moves feels off... like someone animated it. The track looks incredibly generic and no near usual PD attention to environmental details. Oh, and no real-time raytracing
PD's environments aren't anything spectacular or super detailed. The stuff in that trailer looks to be on par with the stuff in GTS. It could be running on a GT graphics engine but not using any physics model from them.

PD's environments aren't anything spectacular or super detailed. The stuff in that trailer looks to be on par with the stuff in GTS. It could be running on a GT graphics engine but not using any physics model from them.
If, and it's very much an if, it is a video created with PD's help using thier game engine then it's likey you're spot on and it's using the engine to render the scene but the rest could simply be a programmed series of set actions.

I don't agree. PD is always aiming for the photorealism and it is not the case in this trailer. Look closely on the road texture, trees, skyboxes. Other detail I spotted is the headlights emitting light on the road that is brighter that the sun! (1:33) This is just lazy visualization and stuff like this is not possible in the physics based rendering engine developed by PD.

Last edited:
Idk man, the car's handling animations looks a bit...... janky.

Also, NO REAL-TIME RAYTRACING.
There is ray tracing, you can clearly see it. It looks Gran Turismo'ish but shadow quality looks too good for a potentially 4k 60fps PS5 game.

The easiest way to tell for me was when the 300ZX didn't have the license plates it has in GTS, nor did the 240Z. All the roadcars generally have front and rear plates.

latest

Last edited:
Back