Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,400 comments
That's why, if it has everything(dynamic ToD & weather, car count, graphics, livery editor, car customisation, etc.) from the entire franchise, GT7 will be fine. The biggest PD hurdle will be, AI. Not the penalty system(because, we know, majority of GT players don't play Sport Mode), not fantasy circuit-world circuit-city circuit ratios. It's going to be AI pass or fail.

The problem with that is you'll never, ever satisfy everyone.

When the game finally does release there will be lots of moaning "its got too many made up tracks" "its not got enough cars" "its got too many real tracks" "it doesn't have a creator" "its too sim like" "its not realistic enough" and many other things.

Part of this is the way over time our expectations have been raised - back in GT1-3 days we were just happy with what we got, now we demand realistic scenery, complex physics models, weather, VR, penalty systems and lots of other stuff.

GT7 is going to disappoint some, get derided by others, (hopefully) enjoyed by many.

I will enjoy it. If I can get a PS5 before release

Is this website reliable? If so, it's surely controversial...

Polyphony is making a spinoff open world Gran Turismo which will be similar to Forza Horizon. (gadgetcrutches.com)

Not exactly GT7 related, but if it's true it's big news.
I wouldn't trust any obscure/unknown sites if I were you. Especially when said site's Twitter account has only 35 followers. =/

Eh, besides, unless they have another team, wouldn't working on another project slow GT7 itself down, anyway?

I also saw that article posted in a FH4 group on FB, I was just about to see if someone had shared, but yeah, never heard of that site so I'd say it's fake news.

On the other hand IF it were true (which it most likely isn't) it actually would be really awesome, knowing that PD are perfectionists I'm fairly sure they'd pull it off rather well.

I also saw that article posted in a FH4 group on FB, I was just about to see if someone had shared, but yeah, never heard of that site so I'd say it's fake news.

On the other hand IF it were true (which it most likely isn't) it actually would be really awesome, knowing that PD are perfectionists I'm fairly sure they'd pull it off rather well.
PD are perfectionist, but doesn't mean that they'll achieve anything they want. Like starting from PS3 era in GT5/GT6. They can be overpromising and instead failing to achieve a good number of those.

Yeah I don't know how true this is.

I mean, that's been a rumour since the first Forza Horizon was released. It made sort of sense then, but at this point I seriously doubt Polyphony's ability to compete meaningfully with the next Forza Horizon. FH3 and 4 are so good at what they do that I'm not sure I'd put money on any single developer being able to just rock up and spit out a true competitor without it being a straight up carbon copy.

The problem with that is you'll never, ever satisfy everyone.

When the game finally does release there will be lots of moaning "its got too many made up tracks" "its not got enough cars" "its got too many real tracks" "it doesn't have a creator" "its too sim like" "its not realistic enough" and many other things.

Part of this is the way over time our expectations have been raised - back in GT1-3 days we were just happy with what we got, now we demand realistic scenery, complex physics models, weather, VR, penalty systems and lots of other stuff.

GT7 is going to disappoint some, get derided by others, (hopefully) enjoyed by many.

It's part of the problem with going for the style of game that Polyphony does, where they intentionally try to be as broad in their appeal as possible. Let's take rally as an example - for a game like Dirt Rally 2 either people will like it or it will be obvious that it's not the game for them. It's very up front about what it's trying to do, and people rarely get seriously annoyed by the existence of a game that just isn't even pretending to have them as their target audience. People who aren't rally fans just don't buy it.

But with something like Gran Turismo, it tries to do rally but it does it so poorly that people can't help but be disappointed if they expected anything approaching an actual representation of the sport, even if they accepted that it would be limited in scope. This carries over into a surprising amount of other parts of the game, they exist to appeal to people who like that particular aspect of motorsport but they're done so haphazardly that they can't help but irritate people who are fans.

Polyphony seem to have learned with GTS that simply having a massive car list in GT5 and GT6 wasn't actually benefiting the experience if it was achieved by sacrificing quality and consistency. I think the next step is for them to learn that the same applies to gameplay - a game can be better for having poor or underdeveloped aspects removed as it stops them from detracting from the real core experience.

...knowing that PD are perfectionists...

PD are perfectionist...

Can we stop posting this? It's not true. Polyphony and Kaz are highly optimistic, but they're very much not perfectionists as demonstrated by every game that they've ever released.

Last edited:
PD are perfectionist, but doesn't mean that they'll achieve anything they want. Like starting from PS3 era in GT5/GT6. They can be overpromising and instead failing to achieve a good number of those.
Perfectionist? Remember standard cars in GT5/6? Sorry but no.

Last edited:
Im not at all convinced a game like Gran Turismo is much of a system seller these days. There is the OLD old school GT players, but other than that there is better options for many things nowadays - options that just didnt exist back in the golden era of Gran Turismo.

There are better sims for simracers - even on consoles. There is the king of freeroam among abundance of other car collector tuner racing games - Forza Horizon, which I really cant image GT7 could ever rival in that genre. Gran Turismo does have a place as a easy access simcade everyday racing game for motorsport culture enthusiasts - just as GT Sport has shown. But even myself as one of the very core target group of GT / GT sport, I really dont see that big of an effect in system sales, as players demand so much variety these days and that variety is easily available to them.

Gran Turismo isnt the only THE car game it used to be back in ps1/ps2 era. Its getting more and more niche - in GT7 case not by making the game any more specialized as it was, but because the gaming world around it has got tenfold vaster.

Gran Turismo is still a very popular series. GTS looks to have sold around 10m+, and perhaps will go on to sell 12m+ before GT7 comes out, as it's still seemingly selling well presumably due to good word of mouth, putting it on a par with previous editions.

Last edited:
Perfectionist? Remember standard cars in GT5/6? Sorry but no.
Either features/content or quality. They chose the former for PS3 era with standard cars though (while the Premium cars are top notch in quality, probably a mistake to make them like that for trying to make them future-proof when they are not). People be like ignoring how I said they can fail achieving what they want.

FA021B6B-E902-4DE4-B4B1-78454F2F6DCE.png

Make of this as what you will, but I’m probably going to call this a little too ambitious.

He even claims it’s not even bait, but take this with a grain of salt though.
89C61685-1A14-4077-A8E5-6484F966A047.png

B86E7FD0-C2C1-4D08-AB39-926F34930032.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not sure how I'd feel about the idea of PD making a JRPG. Is there any information about current staff that used to work for another development studio known for that genre? If it turns out to be true I'll be hoping for a more traditional Persona 5-esque game rather than an action RPG like the latest few Final Fantasy entries.

View attachment 999050
Make of this as what you will, but I’m probably going to call this a little too ambitious.

I'll believe it when I see it.

If someone's response to an accusation of baiting is "for once it's not", that's an admission that they regularly throw out bait but that somehow that makes this particular piece of information more credible. That's just forcing engagement on Twitter as people argue with you, there's nothing in the information provided that does anything to support the claim.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about the idea of PD making a JRPG. Is there any information about current staff that used to work for another development studio known for that genre? If it turns out to be true I'll be hoping for a more traditional Persona 5-esque game rather than an action RPG like the latest few Final Fantasy entries.

It seems silly. There's a studio that has built it's structure around making racing games for more than 20 years. That particular part of the studio would be garbage at making an RPG, because it's not what they were hired to do.

If they put together an entire other section for this hypothetical RPG then sure, but at that point it's Polyphony in name only.

They might be able to get by with there current number of employees for GT7 and the potential open world racing game (let's hope it's set in Japan). But the this jrpg that's being talked about, they "might" enlist the help of another game studio from japan with experience of making jrpgs, to help with parts of the game they won't be able to do them selves.

According to their website, PD has 170 employees. I could be wrong but I don't think they are enough to make 3 games.
You're not wrong. They couldn't do that with 400 people. Bungie is making a right Horlicks of Destiny 2 because they are developing another game and they have way more staff than PD.

According to their website, PD has 170 employees. I could be wrong but I don't think they are enough to make 3 games.
That's more than enough to make 3 games, it just depends on the developmental scope of those 3 games. We know Gran Tusimo 7 is a huge game in terms of develpoment costs, an open world Gran Turismo would in theory also be a very big project, though if a lot of the content were to come from the development of GT7 (engine, majority of cars etc.) it wouldn't necessarily be as huge but likely huge nontheless.

But there are some seriousely impressive games made by teams with 10 or fewer people in them, I'm not saying that they could pull off an open word Gran Turismo with 10 people, but certainly if they divert off into a JRPG or something else they have that option. It all depends on how the PD staff and development is divideded and what the scope of each game is.

IMO it's unlikely that PD would develop 3 games in tandem, but it's not impossible.

Last edited:
That's more than enough to make 3 games, it just depends on the developmental scope of those 3 games. We know Gran Tusimo 7 is a huge game in terms of develpoment costs, an open world Gran Turismo would in theory also be a very big project, though if a lot of the content were to come from the development of GT7 (engine, majority of cars etc.) it wouldn't necessarily be as huge but likely huge nontheless.

But there are some seriousely impressive games made by teams with 10 or fewer people in them, I'm not saying that they could pull off an open word Gran Turismo with 10 people, but certainly if they divert off into a JRPG or something else they have that option. It all depends on how the PD staff and development is divideded and what the scope of each game is.

IMO it's unlikely that PD would develop 3 games in tandem, but it's not impossible.
Not sure what games you are referring to but I don't think it is possible for them to make 3 high quality games. I mean it took them 4 years to make GT SPORT and it was seriously lacking in terms of content. They probably started working on GT7 right after they released GT SPORT and it still isn't ready yet.

Edit : also in order for them to make an open world gran turismo game they need to make a... you guessed it, WORLD. It depends on how big and detailed they want it to be, but it would probably take them many years to make a big world that is also very detailed...

Last edited:
Not sure what games you are referring to but I don't think it is possible for them to make 3 high quality games. I mean it took them 4 years to make GT SPORT and it was seriously lacking in terms of content. They probably started working on GT7 right after they released GT SPORT and it still isn't ready yet.

Edit : also in order for them to make an open world gran turismo game they need to make a... you guessed it, WORLD. It depends on how big and detailed they want it to be, but it would probably take them many years to make a big world that is also very detailed...
I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying it's more than possible for a 170 man development team to make 3 games in tandem, high quality ones at that. Like I said quite clearly, it depends on the scope and development costs of those games, and I don't beleive Polypohny specifically can/will do it. But my response was specifically to the implication (intended or not) that a 170 man developer couldn't develop 3 games at once.

Last edited:
Managing three AAA games at the same time with one team of any size is just a recipe for disaster. You can't have someone working on AI for cars one day and AI for a monster the next day. You need three separate teams, of whatever size.

Back