Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,400 comments
How much content would PD need for a CarPG anyway? GT1, GT3, GT Tokyo-Geneva, GT5P, GTS. I mean, not much to debut a new game.

They could feature 50 cars. The AI programmed to follow traffic signals. Avatars walking around like at Goodwood in GT6.

No race tracks, only part of a city in Tokyo. Maybe a section of where Polyphony is based.
Some freeway sections.
Variable weather and Time of day.

Home/garage.
A speed Shop to customise cars.
A car wash.

Players don't even have to get out of the car and walk around. Could just be a basic game.

Last edited:
Managing three AAA games at the same time with one team of any size is just a recipe for disaster. You can't have someone working on AI for cars one day and AI for a monster the next day. You need three separate teams, of whatever size.
You wouldn't use the same people across all three titles, you'd split the workforce to different projects. It'd be mayhem if you did it that way.

Last edited:
..What I want, are more classic cars. If on open world or race track, does not matter for me.
BTW. what about Eiger Nordwand for GT7? My favorite fictional track in GT6. Imagine this with actual graphic, would be fantastic.

That twitter guy is just posting a bunch of bullocks. None of the PD job listings says anything about a JRPG or open world racer, both of which would be monumental projects in addition to GT7, especially the JRPG which would require polyphony to completely revamp or just create a new engine from scratch to support rpg systems from basic stuff like item inventory management to animation blending systems for character and ai/companions, enemy ai pathfinding, facial motion capture integration, etc. The GT engine isn't fit for any of this. And this is from a developer that absolutely would rather prefer to develop their tech and art in-house rather than rely more on outsourcing.

Also, Polyphony is not Playstation's second largest studio with its 180 employees. Guerilla Games, Insomniac, Santa Monica Studio, and Naughty Dog are around 350-400+ and at most the majority are only juggling 2 different concurrent game projects.

And these playstation western devs do rely heavily on outsource companies to help create their modeling and artwork, which still takes their games 4-5 years to release, but the level of quality of assets, amount of content, and length of gameplay are impressive and fits the development time.

Meanwhile Polyphony spends 4 years on GTSport and releases Alsace Circuit that looks like it was quickly made in their ps3 procedural track creator.

Last edited:
Open World GT game seems a bit "out of character" for PD. Even though it would be interesting to see, it's not something I would imagine PD would do, but who knows, everything is possible.

Don't know why he couldn't make an open world for PS4. If it meant an even bigger delay, I could see Sony saying nope. Stay on schedule.

Now that PD have more time, even though it's more likely been a setback(set waaaaay back), maybe they could give us a taste of open world. Same as we got a taste of track creator.

The problem with that is you'll never, ever satisfy everyone.

When the game finally does release there will be lots of moaning "its got too many made up tracks" "its not got enough cars" "its got too many real tracks" "it doesn't have a creator" "its too sim like" "its not realistic enough" and many other things.

Part of this is the way over time our expectations have been raised - back in GT1-3 days we were just happy with what we got, now we demand realistic scenery, complex physics models, weather, VR, penalty systems and lots of other stuff.

GT7 is going to disappoint some, get derided by others, (hopefully) enjoyed by many.

Yeah I think your spot on with this especially "back in GT1-3 days we were just happy with what we got"

Gran Turismo 1 put everything else to shame at the time IMHO. Nothing could hold a candle to it.

View attachment 999050
Make of this as what you will, but I’m probably going to call this a little too ambitious.

He even claims it’s not even bait, but take this with a grain of salt though.
View attachment 999051
View attachment 999052
Did he delete it? I'm scrolling through march 21st tweets he made and I can't find it.
Anyway it was just an idea Kaz shared long ago, I remember it.
But PD can't even deliver one (full) Gran Turismo game. How does he think they can make an extra title that would be open world? I don't even see it being well received and high rated by critics and players.

hi GT7 2021 ??????

upload_2021-3-24_23-18-34.png

Sorry, but a race track game without the nordschleife, it’s for me a no go. I know, black pain doesn’t drive there.
Addition , only GT gives me the feeling, when I start it, I’m coming home. Games like acc have a boring menu and make me quick loose the want to play. GT is there unique what no other game has.
You are absolutely right, i play ACC on computer, but after two races i get bored with that, then the menus and the grpahics of GT are pure art.

Sorry, but a race track game without the nordschleife, it’s for me a no go. I know, black pain doesn’t drive there.
Addition , only GT gives me the feeling, when I start it, I’m coming home. Games like acc have a boring menu and make me quick loose the want to play. GT is there unique what no other game has.
My lost brother

I gotta say, I'm very curious to see not only which older original tracks return, but also how they get revitalized. I'm frankly very glad they revamped Trial Mountain, as I could only see it being an absolute disaster for online racing if it was left intact. The only original course that I think is largely fine as-is, is Apricot Hill. Though I also wonder what new original courses could be coming?

I do also hope that the more notable real-world courses from both the PS3 and PS4 eras return, such as Le Mans and Spa-Francorchamps, but also including the historic layouts, like the 80s layout for Monza and Brands Hatch. Maybe even more historic layouts could appear, such as those for Interlagos, Spa-Francorchamps, and especially Fuji. I also recall hearing that the Indianapolis Road Course is technically now a historic layout, but I nevertheless hope it returns alongside the speedway, Daytona Super Speedway, and the Daytona 24h course.

But with this in mind, other than Indy, Daytona, and the ovals we have in GT Sport, I don't see much use for many other oval courses, except one: the Twin Ring Motegi oval, and I think that it could still come into GT7 despite being heavily damaged by the 2011 Tohoku earthquake. I also would like to see an alternative layout for Special Stage Route X, but I also don't wanna see something more akin to F-Zero than Gran Turismo. And I say that as someone who'd love for Nintendo to develop a new installment of F-Zero, too!

Evolution Studios would have been ideal to create a open world GT or form of Driveclub if Sony didn't stupidly close them.
Didn't PD say a few years ago they would never let any other studio make a GT game?

They put off outsourcing 3d models for the longest time, so it seems likely.

The only original course that I think is largely fine as-is, is Apricot Hill. Though I also wonder what new original courses could be coming

What is the difference between a track that is a 'disaster' and a track that is 'fine' to you?

Last edited:
What is the difference between a track that is a 'disaster' and a track that is 'fine' to you?
Numerous things, but it’s generally going to be at PD/Kaz’s discretion. For one thing, more run-off area is always welcome, except for some courses where the tight walls are fundamental, like at Monaco.

Numerous things, but it’s generally going to be at PD/Kaz’s discretion. For one thing, more run-off area is always welcome, except for some courses where the tight walls are fundamental, like at Monaco.
Why does a stretch of pavement which is generally done in real life for track safety, need to be included for circuits in Gran Turismo?

Back