Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,398 comments
Changing the oil may make sense if PD have upped the damage model.
Say the car condition below
9B5B06DE-F47A-4907-8332-7C8CC1757025.jpeg

We don’t know how it works at the moment. How long between oil changes? Does oil require changing even if I never Use a car? Are wear and damage separate? What is the “Caution” icon for? Other parts that need replacing?: brakes? Body damage? worn tyres?
Does smashing into walls carry over post race or do I just enter the pits to restore the car?

If Daily Workout is the same 42kms, how long until an engine overhaul? I don’t know if driving a car easier or harder, will affect engine performance. Maybe it’s distance, rather than time.

Will adding performance parts shorten engine life?

There are car covers over vehicles in the trailer.
D62A2E8C-D306-476F-9D1A-149BE11D0EAE.jpeg

Could be a way to protect the body over time or a favourite car or a gift car unwrapped.

I guess PD are bringing us back to pride of ownership, there’s something for those of us that enjoy that. Livery Creators have their thing, Sport Mode drivers have their thing. Some just want to tune. Some want to build. Some want to do everything.
Other than the AI concern, PD have covered the basics that make it look like GT of old. We’ll see if PD give the solo racer the tools to create, like league communities and livery communities and tuner communities.have.

People keep insisting that we don't know what the future of GT is.

It's there from the start: GAAS always online, classic GT campaign and online competitive mode

Again: future =|= something new. That statment is more like a declaration of intent that a hint for something new.
So the future of GT is just the past? Sounds exciting!

When you talk about the future of something there is an inherent feeling of it being something different, an evolution, or something entirely new.

When Apple talk about the future of iPhone they don't just say it'll be all the same stuff from the last one. When BMW talk about the future of their cars they're not just gonna say the future is the old petrol I6 coupes.

So no, when Kaz talks about the past, present and future of the series to be in GT7 I don't expect the future to just be the past and present put together.

When you talk about the future of something there is an inherent feeling of it being something different, an evolution, or something entirely new.

When Apple talk about the future of iPhone they don't just say it'll be all the same stuff from the last one. When BMW talk about the future of their cars they're not just gonna say the future is the old petrol I6 coupes.

So no, when Kaz talks about the past, present and future of the series to be in GT7 I don't expect the future to just be the past and present put together.
I read the article over and over again. Kaz never mentioned future means new features to the series

“I don’t normally play the past editions of Gran Turismo,” answers Yamauchi. “But since I started doing the world tours, the players, they’re all young guys but they all bring GT2 or GT3 with them – like, how old were you when this game came out!? So I’ve had more opportunity to play them recently, and it’s surprising how much I’ve forgotten!”

“Having done all these World Tours, it gave me the opportunity to feel the history of Gran Turismo,” he adds. “It gives me pointers and hints of the things we should make sure that we do in the future of the series.”

He said pointers and hints but there isn't much to it. Or maybe I'm just missing something.

I read the article over and over again. Kaz never mentioned future means new features to the series

“I don’t normally play the past editions of Gran Turismo,” answers Yamauchi. “But since I started doing the world tours, the players, they’re all young guys but they all bring GT2 or GT3 with them – like, how old were you when this game came out!? So I’ve had more opportunity to play them recently, and it’s surprising how much I’ve forgotten!”

“Having done all these World Tours, it gave me the opportunity to feel the history of Gran Turismo,” he adds. “It gives me pointers and hints of the things we should make sure that we do in the future of the series.”

He said pointers and hints but there isn't much to it. Or maybe I'm just missing something.
"I think the next title that we’re going to create will be a combination of the past, present and future – a complete form of Gran Turismo,” he answers.

So it'll be a combination of the past, the present and the past and the present again, because that is also the future apparently.

"I think the next title that we’re going to create will be a combination of the past, present and future – a complete form of Gran Turismo,” he answers.
wasn't this like typical marketing talk ? ;) if he only said game is combination of present gt sport and past gran turismo wouldn't sound that great (tough still chances for future as full psvr2 support)

Last edited:
snc
wasn't this like typical marketing talk ? ;) if he only said game is combination of present gt sport and past gran turismo wouldn't sound that great (tough still chances for future as full psvr2 support)
No it wouldn't, would it? But that's what we're getting...so far.

I've heard it's a terrible game by most measures, supposedly marred by originally being a battle royale earlier in development. But I stand by my statement that it's still a good example of the "games-as-a-service" model. I did not say it was a good game.

We have no idea what the next season of 2042 content even is - or even if it will come or if EA will throw the towel in because it is an abject bomb. To say it is a good GaaS model before it has even started, and may potentially be shuttered before it even starts, is absolutely putting the cart before the horse.

Then, pray tell, how the hell should we interpret the 'future' of the franchise? Because if the future of the franchise is continued nostalgic pandering, then the series is going to hit a real dark age when people start wising up to GT7 being little more then GTS with an actual campaign, that still is no different from GT5 and 6.

Besides, if I wanted constant nostalgia to not remind myself of the current, I'd watch Nebraska football.

:lol: In a future game, I'll put the past and present together. Damn. Such a good Monday morning. :lol:

Last edited:
I've heard it's a terrible game by most measures, supposedly marred by originally being a battle royale earlier in development. But I stand by my statement that it's still a good example of the "games-as-a-service" model. I did not say it was a good game.
It’s a terrible example of a game as a service game as the game hasn’t even launched its first season it launched that badly 😂

It’s a terrible example of a game as a service game as the game hasn’t even launched its first season it launched that badly 😂

The fact that it's terrible is exactly why it's a "good" example of what a GaaS game is. Sport wasn't GaaS because the monetization was almost completely optional and wasn't in your face. GaaS implies continued revenue. What we got with Sport was almost all completely free and lengthy great post launch support.

Last edited:
We have no idea what the next season of 2042 content even is - or even if it will come or if EA will throw the towel in because it is an abject bomb. To say it is a good GaaS model before it has even started, and may potentially be shuttered before it even starts, is absolutely putting the cart before the horse.
Wow, that bad, huh? I had thought that in spite of the really rocky launch, EA was gonna keep moving on it in the hopes it'll fix itself like Battlefield 4. Glad I decided not to get it.

Moving back on-topic, I think the way I'd interpret the "future" part is future collaborations with the auto industry, whether it's a parts-maker like Michelin, BBS, and Brembo, the ongoing VGT program, and new championships. Personally, I could see Porsche join Toyota and Mazda as a third partnered automaker, with the Porsche Cup becoming globally-available.

EDIT: And that's before we consider the collaborations GT could also have with the racing part of the auto world, like with the FIA. Then there are collaborations with brands that aren't even that closely connected to cars and racing, but could find their way into GT, like we saw with TAG-Heuer. (Makes me wonder if they'll be the official timekeeper again for GT7.)

EDIT2: I also am aware that the most recent championships in GTS lack the FIA label. I'm not worried yet - it could be a simple matter of a contract running out, like with TAG-Heuer, and we could still see the FIA labelling in GT7.

Last edited:
Sport wasn't GaaS because the monetization was almost completely optional and wasn't in your face.

Yet the economy was utterly ****ed and basically required you to grind to get absolutely anything worthwhile because somehow, racing online wasn't the easiest way to get money to buy vehicles you needed for the vast majority of races, and a ever shifting meta. That is, unless you wanted to buy the cars individually which just so happened to be able to be bought with micro transactions. Except for the most expensive vehicles in the game, which you were more or less required to grind for.

What we got with Sport was almost all completely free and lengthy great post launch support.

...which would have been paid DLC if it wasn't for the fact that the game bombed right out the gate and people could see right through the fact the game was thin on single player content to prop up an otherwise pointless online suite that didn't appeal to 90% of the player base.

Last edited:

Which Gran Turismo game have a competitive online, mode campain and a constantly update game? No one.
Thats the future of GT, mix the best of two worlds and a game who expanse with the time.

If you disagree with Kaz or PD you can do it. But is what it is.
I disagree with GT7 being GaaS. If it's going to be anything like GTS, it'll be the antithesis of a GaaS, with all that free content. No paid passes, no "seasons," and the only micro-transactions being buying the cars outright if you're too impatient to get the credits for them, with the only truly paid content potentially being a special experience in the vein of the Lewis Hamilton Challenge.

See Battlefield 2042? That's a superior example of games-as-a-service. Fortnite is also an excellent example, or pretty much any MMORPG. Heck, I'd say Pokemon GO is a much better example of GaaS before I'd pick GTS, and that's a F2P mobile title with constant limited-time events, where you can get virtually every last bit of content without spending a penny.

GaaS is not solely defined by being always-online. Besides, I agree with the decision to make GTS and GT7 always-online, since it pretty much eliminates cheaters/hackers - something instrumental for a championship with actual prizes like the FIAGTCs.

I wouldn't even call GT5 a game-as-a-service, and that was the GT game that only let you get the added cars/tracks - such as the Lamborghini Aventador - by paying for them, in contrast to GTS.
Fair enought! I missunderstound the concept.

Which Gran Turismo game have a competitive online, mode campain and a constantly update game? No one.
Unless you have a new definition of 'competitive online' then both GT5 and GT6 fit that description.

Another example is this:

"Gamepass is the future of video games."
Is the gamepass something new? NO, it exists about 2017 and that statement is true.

“Electric cars are the future”
Once again, it is not a new thing. And the statement may be true.

The future does not imply something new or innovative. It's more like a path to follow.

Last edited:
Another example is this:

"Gamepass is the future of video games."
Is the gamepass something new? NO, it exists about 2017 and that statement is true.

“Electric cars are the future”
Once again, it is not a new thing. And the statement may be true.

The future does not imply something new or innovative. It's more like a path to follow.
Context is important. He wasn't just talking about the future. He said the game would combine the past, present and future of Gran Turismo. That makes no sense if the future is just the past and the present combined. That's just redundant..

Anyway, however you want to interpret that statement or even just ignore it entirely as PR waffle, it doesn't change the fact that GT7, as of what we currently know, does not add anything new of significance, and that to me would be unacceptable.

But as I've said several times now, and how this whole conversation started days ago, I hope now that they've covered all the returning content they do start to cover some new content in the coming weeks. If they do, then all of this current discussion.will be moot.

Last edited:
It feels like if left to their own devices, PoDi would never get a product released within a reasonable timeframe, so they've been making do with what's already been implemented, that being additional content (in the form of more cars and courses) to go along with the already-implemented features that have been around for a while.

Feature creep has plagued the games long before Gran Turismo 5 actually "released", which said game could easily be argued that it was far from finished. Before its release, Kazunori himself said that "we could release GT5 at any time" or something to that effect, then some time later during another interview, he said that he wanted another two years to work on GT5. I can't imagine another two years of development time at that time period- the fans, and Sony themselves, would have grown too impatient in waiting for the game, the latter ultimately deciding the fate for GT5 as they put their foot down for the game to be released in time for the 2010 holiday sales period.

Feature creep has plagued the games long before Gran Turismo 5 actually "released"

I made a thread about this just before the release of Gran Turismo Sport. Here's an image from said thread:

Tf3rWNH.jpg

The image was from the Gran Turismo HD project presentation at the Tokyo Game Show of 2006. If this slide were to be taken at face value, this means it took PoDi a span of 11 years to implement everything on this slide, and that's just online features.

We've had a few fresh takes on features outside of online features from them, though:
  • GT5 brought us the Course Maker; for as strange as it is, it was something completely different and unexpected from Gran Turismo. You wouldn't be expecting out of all the features in the game that it also allows players to make their own courses, even if the implementation of how they're "made" doesn't allow the user to create something from their vision; it was more like a Course Generator, not a Maker. We wouldn't have that until GT6, and that didn't arrive until two years after that game released, despite being printed on the back of the game case at launch. Speaking of GT6...
  • GT6 brought us the Sierra Time Rally, internally known as the Arcade Style Race game mode. This, in my opinion, was the freshest breath of air from a gameplay feature I've seen added to Gran Turismo in the longest time: A score attack mode where you try to earn the most points by finishing a lap around the course as fast as you can while safely overtaking other vehicles, speeding past speed traps and stretching for airtime, all of these actions increasing your multiplier one at a time for gaining even more points. They put their moving-pylon AI to good use here; they can't race to save their life, so now they're obstacles who are up against your time and score. It's super-addicting and very fun, but unfortunately it is confined to a single course and only four vehicles given to the player to use.
I'd love to see the Arcade Style Race implemented on GT7 as a universal game mode and not as a set of special events, where it's available for all courses and the player can use their own vehicle of choice. Having looked at how the game database is structured, it wouldn't be too difficult to implement it across the board, with the only concern being AI vehicle selection being dependent on the player's vehicle.

Nonetheless, I'd like to see more features as content, not just additional content to go along with the already-implemented features that have been around like I said above. More modes and styles of gameplay, more ways to keep myself engaged with the game than just taking my collection of cars and driving them around courses by myself, with braindead drones or other human players. I know for some that the idea of Gran Turismo to them is a playable encyclopedia of cars, but my view of the games have changed throughout the years. We've had a four-and-a-half year gap between GT Sport and GT7, and, so far, there doesn't seem like there's any signs of possible delays, so let's see if they have anything else in store when the game finally launches.

Last edited:
What would be stopping PD from including tracks from GT5 and GT6?

One theory I have is that GTS is about 100GB to download so maybe PD and Sony are trying to keep the actual size of the game manageable for digital distribution?

In regards to getting tracks straight from GT5 and GT6 I wouldn't be that fussed with a few of them being of lower quality. I think standard model cars were an issue but the graphics of the tracks from GT5 and GT6 were fine imo. When you compare some of the tracks in GTS to Bathurst there is a bit of a difference in texture quality but it doesn't bother me when I'm driving.

Even taking into account licensing issues there are many original locations from GT5 and GT6 which could easily be added into the game. Why withhold them?

Also the mirror view has the same bug with the disappearing objects:
Think carefully, when you are driving and racing you PAY ATTENTION to what is in front of you, you will not be always looking behind you, so I say who cares if things disappear in the distance in the mirror...

Kazunori himself said that "we could release GT5 at any time" or something to that effect, then some time later during another interview, he said that he wanted another two years to work on GT5. I can't imagine another two years of development time at that time period- the fans, and Sony themselves, would have grown too impatient in waiting for the game, the latter ultimately deciding the fate for GT5 as they put their foot down for the game to be released in time for the 2010 holiday sales period.
If that 'two more years' happened, I guarantee that Forza would have won that war, and Polyphony would have been shuddered.

But what gets me is that aside from that instance, at what point has Sony really put the foot down and forced Polyphony to actually knuckle down for the series' better health? And at what point do they step in to actually do that? It's getting clearer and clearer to me at least that GT has not been able to effectively climb out of the hole GT5's development, and GT6's subsequent release, has put them in, and GTS simply put the series in a 'two step forwards, two steps back' situation. Sales might not be enough anymore, considering that Sony cares just as much, if not more so, about reviews and critical reception, which aside from a minority of people who kept it afloat, was not there for GTS.

We've had a four-and-a-half year gap between GT Sport and GT7, and, so far, there doesn't seem like there's any signs of possible delays, so let's see if they have anything else in store when the game finally launches.
I would hope that they have something else in store. But to be quite honest, my gut seems to be telling me that what they have shown is all they have, and they're more or less expecting people to accept that GT7 is the game GTS should have been if they actually put a modicum of thought (just a modicum, though!) into the single player suite instead of putting the cart before the horse and creating a sterile iRacing experience with fancy FIA marketing.

And if that's the case, then really, why should I bother playing the game when it's legitimately the same game at its core as GT Sport, down to the problems that game possessed, of which some we have seen (AI especially) and in aspects we haven't, but can take educated guesses considering the previous games (Economy especially, I have no doubt much is going to be changed from GT Sport, and it may be magnified considering the added focus on single player) Maybe some people who haven't played GT Sport would be fine with it, and to those people I would probably agree with taking a chance, but as someone who has? It just feels like so much is built upon the foundation of GT Sport and little has been changed to actually make it a new, next gen experience I'd pay potentially 90 dollars for if I had a PS5.

There has been a distinct lack of talk from PD re: AI and car damage, which I assume means AI will be much the same as GT Sport (terrible) and car damage won't be included?

There has been a distinct lack of talk from PD re: AI and car damage, which I assume means AI will be much the same as GT Sport (terrible) and car damage won't be included?
Kaz said car damage will be the same as GTS, with a bit of improvement. I don’t know what that means. An option for damage on all the time? Better collision physics? More detailed broken parts?

Kaz said car damage will be the same as GTS, with a bit of improvement. I don’t know what that means. An option for damage on all the time? Better collision physics? More detailed broken parts?
It still takes modeling work to render damage in vehicles, and that they are limited by licensing to keep it as minimal as possible (considering manufacturers don't want to see their cars depicted as damaged or destroyed beyond recognition).

GTS is my first entry in the GT series but my impression so far is that car damage is not what they are after at all - they are celebrating cars, not trying to wreck them. So I think it must be very much intentional to not show much more than a dent or scrape.

It still takes modeling work to render damage in vehicles, and that they are limited by licensing to keep it as minimal as possible (considering manufacturers don't want to see their cars depicted as damaged or destroyed beyond recognition).
Right. In Gran Turismo. We can mash Ferraris in Forza games. Total cars in PC2(whole front clips come off). Totally wreck cars in ACC(customer cars built by manufacturers). Other games, pieces fly off and remain on the track.

GTS is my first entry in the GT series but my impression so far is that car damage is not what they are after at all - they are celebrating cars, not trying to wreck them. So I think it must be very much intentional to not show much more than a dent or scrape.
Sure. That stance could have changed after GT6. Previous damage was jarring.

Kinda, but at the same time GTS is the one game that should have had a reasonable damage model. Damage and consequences are so fundamental to the racing experience that without them it turns into quite a different animal. I'm happy to run with low or no damage in single player (because **** the AI, just send it), but for multiplayer I think that damage is really, really important. If it's too weak or non-existent it encourages really aggressive driving in a way that probably just makes the experience worse for everyone.
Different topic, did someone already post this livery, in relation to the new livery on the Gr.3 STI?

Good looking livery, that rear wing is freaking weird though.

Back