Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,360 comments
Not much news around at the moment. Digital Foundry had their weekly show discussing PC ports & PSVR2.

With TLOU remake, HZD remake/remaster, and Spider-Man remaster. Does make you wonder if a potential GT7 Spec 2.0 would incorporate technical & graphical improvements.

I don’t see GT8 arriving anytime soon.

Not much news around at the moment. Digital Foundry had their weekly show discussing PC ports & PSVR2.

With TLOU remake, HZD remake/remaster, and Spider-Man remaster. Does make you wonder if a potential GT7 Spec 2.0 would incorporate technical & graphical improvements.

If Spec 2 brings any graphical improvements, I truly hope that certain tracks get their environments improved. Le Mans and Brands Hatch are two notoriously ugly tracks that need some fixing. I also hope to see rain and 24h day/night cycles added to far more tracks.

Last edited:
Some statistics/patterns about update release dates and time trial changes:
Code:
Ver.    Date          Type       New TT?
1.15    2022-05-26    Content    Yes*
1.16    2022-06-09    Bugfix     Yes
1.17    2022-06-23    Content    Yes
1.18    2022-07-06    Bugfix     No**
1.19    2022-07-28    Content    No
1.20    2022-08-25    Content    No
1.21    2022-09-01    Bugfix     Yes
1.23    2022-09-29    Content    Yes
1.24    2022-10-16    Bugfix     No
*Time Trials were added to Sport Mode in version 1.15.
**TT changed the next day.

Last edited:
Some statistics/patterns about update release dates and time trial changes:
Code:
Ver.    Date          Type       New TT?
1.15    2022-05-26    Content    Yes*
1.16    2022-06-09    Bugfix     Yes
1.17    2022-06-23    Content    Yes
1.18    2022-07-06    Bugfix     No**
1.19    2022-07-28    Content    No
1.20    2022-08-25    Content    No
1.21    2022-09-01    Bugfix     Yes
1.23    2022-09-29    Content    Yes
*Time Trials were added to Sport Mode in version 1.15.
**TT changed the next day.
Time Trials are always open for 14 days, so are not dependant on updates.

While admittedly true, my point here is regarding whether the release date of an update coincided with time trial being changed or not.
And the answer is no, because time trials change every two weeks and the content updates happen on the last Thursday of the month.

Hey guys, I'm not usually big on self-promotion, but I started a thread where people can tell me a given facet of a GT game, and I'd come up with a concept for my personal take on it. Or we could do that here, idk.

Just based on history there's no expectation of GT8 any time soon.

GT3 - 28 Apr 2001
GT4 - Three and a half years later, 28 Dec 2004
GT5 - Six years later, 24 Nov 2010
GT6 - Three years later, 06 Dec 2013
GTS - Four years later, 17 Oct 2017
GT7 - Four and a half years later, 04 Mar 2022

Three years appears to be a bare minimum in the last twenty years or so, and somewhere in the four year range would probably be a reasonable average. GT8 is incredibly unlikely to come before early 2025, and is more likely to turn up in late 2026.

Sometimes I seriously worry if everything’s OK at PD. I just have too many questions, about cars they were seen scanning like a GT300-spec Prius and a Lancia Fulvia, supposed “early term” features like selling cars, Daiki Kasho supposedly working on new music, the Ridge Racer Type 4 UI designer coming on board, the fact that so many pre-race themes are just classical pieces with a beat added, the fact that I saw PD recruiting for a mobile developer well after the release of GTS, why did GTS show every car’s stock transmission type (e.g. manual vs. sequential manual vs. automatic vs. DCT vs. CVT) but not GT7, and so on.

I know Covid-19 likely had an impact on development, but I could’ve sworn PD just expanded their offices, on top of using a degree of outsourcing for car models.

Between these sentiments and the fact that the game was delayed at least once IIRC says something bad happened. Could’ve been the fault of PD, could’ve been pressure by SCI, or even an indeterminate combination of the two. We’ll never really know.

I wonder if diving into the credits of GT7 may shed some light on this? We know Kaz is at the head, but what about the people that are just below him? Like any other producers/directors. Could they be different from those who worked on previous installments? Maybe a bit new to working on GT as a series?

At the end of the day, I suspect something unplanned happened to GT7’s development, insofar that it compromised the original design and scope of the game.

Last edited:
If I had to guess, covid probably made everything a nightmare for a team like PD that needs to scan cars and tracks and mobilize around the world.
That explanation only has the potential to explain a couple of the many questions I had, as much sense as it’d make otherwise.

Last edited:
Sometimes I seriously worry if everything’s OK at PD. I just have too many questions, about cars they were seen scanning like a GT300-spec Prius and a Lancia Fulvia, supposed “early term” features like selling cars, Daiki Kasho supposedly working on new music, the Ridge Racer Type 4 UI designer coming on board, the fact that so many pre-race themes are just classical pieces with a beat added, the fact that I saw PD recruiting for a mobile developer well after the release of GTS, why did GTS show every car’s stock transmission type (e.g. manual vs. sequential manual vs. automatic vs. DCT vs. CVT) but not GT7, and so on.

I know Covid-19 likely had an impact on development, but I could’ve sworn PD just expanded their offices, on top of using a degree of outsourcing for car models.

Between these sentiments and the fact that the game was delayed at least once IIRC says something bad happened. Could’ve been the fault of PD, could’ve been pressure by SCI, or even an indeterminate combination of the two. We’ll never really know.

I wonder if diving into the credits of GT7 may shed some light on this? We know Kaz is at the head, but what about the people that are just below him? Like any other producers/directors. Could they be different from those who worked on previous installments? Maybe a bit new to working on GT as a series?

At the end of the day, I suspect something unplanned happened to GT7’s development, insofar that it compromised the original design and scope of the game.

Given that GT7 was initially announced as a Next Gen exclusive I feel like it’s pretty safe to assume that making the game cross gen was a late (and terrible) call.

When and why did they get rid of the dynamic replay option? It had much more interesting angles than the standard replays.

When and why did they get rid of the dynamic replay option? It had much more interesting angles than the standard replays.
Not so sure. But let's get it right, standard replays are actually A-roll and music replays are B-roll.

A-roll - main footage and storyline
B-roll - supplemental, extra footage

Last edited:
Sad (but totally expected) that this is our level of communication from PD. One tweet a month followed by the update then back to 28 days of radio silence. Rinse and repeat. For a "live service" title.
Well officially speaking is not considered by sony a live service title. Eheh

Back