Gran Turismo 7 Livery Editor - General Discussion Thread

I tried out the Audi TT Cup for the GT4 sport mode race last week – it's not for me – but it is a good base for a new livery. I wanted to build a tribute/update to the S1 Quattro rally car, but reinterpreting it into a modern livery.

full

full

full

If this question has been asked or there is already a thread for it, please guide me accordingly and I apologize.

My question pertains to "negative" or "mask" decals. Specifically, has any one figured out a way to outline the decals? For example, you paint the entire car silver then lay down all of your negatives and paint them black. Now you have a black car with silver lettering. What if those decals were all outlined in red? Or whatever color you choose. I have attempted to lay down a negative and then duplicate the same one over top, then make the one on top larger but that just turns out wanky and just a complete mess. A few of you are just masters at these liveries and was wondering if there is a way to do this.
There is no easy way to do this.
It takes me hours and when it's done the details are often easy to miss.
Sometimes a livery like that looks simpler than a standard livery.

There is litterally zero reason to lock. Zero.
There could be. Let's say you spent close to a week to make a perfect replica of a personal heroes car, created the decals etc etc.
Then you release this livery that you slaved over and that you are very very proud of.
The day after you enter a daily race and right ahead of you are your livery but with a big anime girl plastered over the carefully made.decals.

I migh want to lock my livery then.

I'd just be happy to see someone use one of my liveries. And very impressed that they took the time to graft a big anime girl onto it.
That takes maybe 30 seconds and in my opinion would ruin my livery.
Don't get me wrong, I like to see people use my liveries and I always leave then unlocked but I would say that it was the equivalent of buying a piece of art I made.and then sticking a big sticker on it.
I think it's the destruction of the art/work.

On the flip side, someone might want to use a certain livery but not the exact same custom parts/wing as was on the shared car. An unlocked style means they can fix any gaps or weird warping afterwards themselves. A locked style means they're stuck. The same with decals that go missing for one reason or another. There's no fixing that on a locked style.

When sharing a style, what’s the point in locking it?
This vvv
There could be. Let's say you spent close to a week to make a perfect replica of a personal heroes car, created the decals etc etc.
Then you release this livery that you slaved over and that you are very very proud of.
The day after you enter a daily race and right ahead of you are your livery but with a big anime girl plastered over the carefully made.decals.

That takes maybe 30 seconds and in my opinion would ruin my livery.
Don't get me wrong, I like to see people use my liveries and I always leave then unlocked but I would say that it was the equivalent of buying a piece of art I made.and then sticking a big sticker on it.
I think it's the destruction of the art/work.
I rarely lock my liveries (I think I've locked 2 out of over 100) but if I do it's because I've slaved away making something as accurate and specific as possible that changing it essentially ruins the original.

But there's not much point to locking it - seeing as people get ****ed off when you do.

No, because with a simple workaround you can also unlock these locked liveries.

I have noticed a lot of locked liveries lately, annoying because I like to into good liveries and see how they went at it. I also sometimes open a design to see what the decal is called, so I can try to find it.

I have 2 locked liveries in my gallery, because I thought other players could upload it as their own. After I learned that's not the case, I left all next liveries open.
I haven't shared all my liveries, though.
Still kinda pissed that we can't edit ported GTS helmet/race suit liveries. Why are only cars open for editing? 😡

I have been reading this particular thread a lot lately with curiosity and appreciation of the people who put a ton of time into "styles" or liveries. I am amazed at the level and depth some people put into these cars. One thing strikes me as peculiar though and that is; why do certain styles get more "likes" then others? So I spent about 45 minutes last night just scouring through the Showcase looking at a bunch of liveries. I kept typing in random cars and looked at the different liveries and what I found is this: There is zero rhyme or reason behind what gets "liked" and what doesn't. There were countless numbers of cars that should have received a huge number of likes only to be at, say, 10. Meanwhile, styles that looked ike a child designed them had hundreds. I found that to be a confounding and recurring theme. Another anomaly was classic liveries placed on a random car. For example, the famous Nissan Pennzoil GT race car livery placed on a Toyota Trueno had well over 300 likes. However, a deeply detailed Ferrari with someone's original livery had 12 likes. Strange.
The point is, if you are making liveries to receive a lot of attention or likes; good luck. It's random at best and a complete crapshoot at worse. The GT community is a strange conglomeration of humanity that doesn't seem to make sense at times. Or at least, doesn't make sense to me. Which very well could be the real point......what we may see as "incredible", others just see as blah blah. I suppose beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:
I have been reading this particular thread a lot lately with curiosity and appreciation of the people who put a ton of time into "styles" or liveries. I am amazed at the level and depth some people put into these cars. One thing strikes me as peculiar though and that is; why do certain styles get more "likes" then others? So I spent about 45 minutes last night just scouring through the Showcase looking at a bunch of liveries. I kept typing in random cars and looked at the different liveries and what I found is this: There is zero rhyme or reason behind what gets "liked" and what doesn't. There were countless numbers of cars that should have received a huge number of likes only to be at, say, 10. Meanwhile, styles that looked ike a child designed them had hundreds. I found that to be a confounding and recurring theme. Another anomaly was classic liveries placed on a random car. For example, the famous Nissan Pennzoil GT race car livery placed on a Toyota Trueno had well over 300 likes. However, a deeply detailed Ferrari with someone's original livery had 12 likes. Strange.
The point is, if you are making liveries to receive a lot of attention or likes; good luck. It's random at best and a complete crapshoot at worse. The GT community is a strange conglomeration of humanity that doesn't seem to make sense at times. Or at least, doesn't make sense to me. Which very well could be the real point......what we may see as "incredible", others just see as blah blah. I suppose beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.
People like hunt by posting on other peoples designs and a lot of them get reciprocated likes and comments

It's mostly about the number of followers one has and how active one is in liking and sharing other people's content.

In order to get high numbers of likes for any particular item, it must be reposted by others - and people tend to repost content from people who have reposted theirs.

In order to make it into the 'popular users' category, you need to be creating new content daily and/or sharing/commenting on other people's content multiple times a day.

That said, the very best material can usually hold its own and gain traction simply by being really, really good - the top styles creators are not necessarily the most 'active' - they are genuinely brilliant, but they also tend to be very active and share other people's stuff as well, hence they attract high numbers of 'genuine' likes, shares and followers.

Last edited:

It's not completely random, there are cars with a lot of likes tend to be users who are very active in the showcase (I say most, there are of course also people with lots of skill and talent who have created genuine traffic to their profile!!) do get a lot of likes.

So lots of users just copy paste spammy messages like 'great car L+R check my profile' to hundred of liveries a day, which generates a lot of likes etc etc

And yeah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and yes, I don't make liveries for likes haha.

Last edited:
I have very few likes. I get the majority of them from people trawling for likes by commenting and resharing. So most (not all) of mine is following the form of " beautiful, L&R, check out this and that".
I almost never do. I make my liveries for me. And for my friends when they choose to use them or ask me for something special

The links / popularity thing does seem weird to me, but I just assume I'm old and don't understand it.

The only person I recognize ever on the trending folks is krisduv, who I see on there regularly. He posts a lot + has high quality. Clicking thru on some of the others I see a lot of posting, but not always the highest quality.

I just trundle along and try to ignore it. If I get 8 likes on this forum, 25 on Instagram, or 2 on the GTCommunity discord – then I feel like the folks I respect gave me a high five and I'm good to go.

I don't think getting likes is particularly complicated, though it does require a lot more participation and effort than it requires talent.

Everyday, make and share; eye-catching photos, useful decals, and decent styles for cars people like.

Share on as many platforms as you can (i.e. the showcase, GTPlannet, Twitter, reddit, discord, other gaming forums, other eSport forums)

Like, comment and repost as much as you can on the showcase. (with integrity, i.e. don't repost it, if it's ****).

Then just give it time.

I don't think getting likes is particularly complicated, though it does require a lot more participation and effort than it requires talent.

Everyday, make and share; eye-catching photos, useful decals, and decent styles for cars people like.

Share on as many platforms as you can (i.e. the showcase, GTPlannet, Twitter, reddit, discord, other gaming forums, other eSport forums)

Like, comment and repost as much as you can on the showcase. (with integrity, i.e. don't repost it, if it's ****).

Then just give it time.
I get how to do it. I just don't feel it's worth the time for me.

With the great help of @Raphaele I finally got the Randy Mamola setting, which started with the bike themed liveries, done.
The car was done, but the driver not. I have absolutely no SVG creating skills (old people's trade), so I needed help to fix the 'Randy' lettering and got it!

View attachment 1241442View attachment 1241443View attachment 1241444View attachment 1241445
View attachment 1241448
Nice to see a livery dedicated to him
I remember that miraculous save he did in 85, I drove a bike myself and was sure he would go down but he somehow saved it!

Back