Gran Turismo 7 Review: Return of the King

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 488 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't state it outright but the SoP was VERY suggestive. If that screenshot of the engine name appeared somewhere and that was it it'd be less of a big deal but that section of the video was clear.

"We have prepared approximately 60 types of performance parts per car"

The video then shows upgrades being applied to a 911, all stuff we can do in the game. It then cuts to the Beetle and says "Let's actually try it then". That is very clear, they're going to try something you can do in game. They cut to the tuning menu and the Porsche engine is already applied. They upgrade some other parts, then show a side by side video of the original car and the upgraded one.

The upgraded side is visually and audibly running the Porsche engine. The fact that we seemingly can't actually do that is surely nothing but misleading. I have to assume it's coming in an update and was included in the SOP in error, or they thought it'd make launch and didn't.
Here's hoping.

So how long is the race event list? Is it as deep as GT4's or what? 'Cause that's pretty much my only concern here (slow AI except for the leader or two is something I can tolerate, maybe even find fun with), since GT6's was so short. =/

It's not as simple as saying the AI is good or bad, or fast or slow. It's unpredictable. If it's like GT Sport - They brake at spots you'd never see anyone brake at, they brake at several points on approach to a corner, they might even brake on the apex sometimes. They leave the racing line as backmarkers but often don't leave enough space for you to actually stay on the racing line, resulting in you having to swerve around them far more than usual, almost as if they're trying to get in your way or block the road.

The AI is not just simply bad, it is dangerous and frustrating, especially on lower difficulty.

Since I'm not an elite racer, I can live with AI that's beatable.

The real question for me is whether the AI make mistakes. I guess I'll find out on Friday but I'm wondering if any of you has seen the AI make mistakes that cause them to go off track?
Kudos to @Jordan for a well written review and sharing their perspective on some of the various aspects of the game, but for some to say they will now pass on the game do to the OP's perspective on the AI is shortsighted IMO. My suggestion would be to watch the loads of reviews currently available on YT right now. Get a broader perspective by reading / watching reviews from various sources before making that decision.

Having spent most of the morning looking at those reviews, I can say that not everyone shares the same experience with the AI, the haptic feedback, etc. Watching Super GT on YT for example, he mentioned races where the AI gave him a run for his money with results decided on the last lap. .....even dive bombing one of the last turns to get the #1 position for the win. Coming from a guy that has a full racing setup (e.g wheel, pedals, rig, dedicated monitors, etc.) and is involved in the online racing e-sports stuff, I was a little surprised by this.

I'll wager that for a good portion of us average folks like us on controllers, the AI will suffice. Hell, I'll just be happy if they are a little better than what we had in GTS although I was still able to live with them in that game too. In fact, for more challenging sessions in GTS, I would create my own scenarios in Custom mode where I would purposely handicap myself by adjusting the power, etc. finding a decent compromise.

As for AI making mistakes, some of the other reviewers have said that they have experienced it (perhaps an increase?) as well as AI that are more aggressive. Still not clear on this but I'm still weeding through reviews picking up new tidbits of info that others either don't cover at all or perhaps not in as good of detail, etc.

I will say that I don't ever take one's personal review of a game or aspects of it as definitive proof of how I will feel. Rather I use that in a broader perspective I gain from a variety of sources which more times than not results in a more realistic expectation. .....and for me that outlook that comes into focus from all that input more closely resembles my true experience when I finally get the game.

So how long is the race event list? Is it as deep as GT4's or what? 'Cause that's pretty much my only concern here (slow AI except for the leader or two is something I can tolerate, maybe even find fun with), since GT6's was so short. =/

I don't think anyone has seen the end of the events at this point.

I’ve been trying to access the article and still no luck.

Delete the ending slash.

Kudos to @Jordan for a well written review and sharing their perspective on some of the various aspects of the game, but for some to say they will now pass on the game do to the OP's perspective on the AI is shortsighted IMO. My suggestion would be to watch the loads of reviews currently available on YT right now. Get a broader perspective by reading / watching reviews from various sources before making that decision.

Having spent most of the morning looking at those reviews, I can say that not everyone shares the same experience with the AI, the haptic feedback, etc. Watching Super GT on YT for example, he mentioned races where the AI gave him a run for his money with results decided on the last lap. .....even dive bombing one of the last turns to get the #1 position for the win. Coming from a guy that has a full racing setup (e.g wheel, pedals, rig, dedicated monitors, etc.) and is involved in the online racing e-sports stuff, I was a little surprised by this.

I'll wager that for a good portion of us average folks like us on controllers, the AI will suffice. Hell, I'll just be happy if they are a little better than what we had in GTS although I was still able to live with them in that game too. In fact, for more challenging sessions in GTS, I would create my own scenarios in Custom mode where I would purposely handicap myself by adjusting the power, etc. finding a decent compromise.

As for AI making mistakes, some of the other reviewers have said that they have experienced it (perhaps an increase?) as well as AI that are more aggressive. Still not clear on this but I'm still weeding through reviews picking up new tidbits of info that others either don't cover at all or perhaps not in as good of detail, etc.

I will say that I don't ever take one's personal review of a game or aspects of it as definitive proof of how I will feel. Rather I use that in a broader perspective I gain from a variety of sources which more times than not results in a more realistic expectation. .....and for me that outlook that comes into focus from all that input more closely resembles my true experience when I finally get the game.
Just finished watching his review and I’m kinda confused because just as you said while not perfect the AI was better than sport… He review was good in my opinion Just as Jordan’s!

he mentioned races where the AI gave him a run for his money with results decided on the last lap
Sounds like a scripted AI to catch the leader on the last lap. One pass he sent it down the inside, but the other he was so much quicker it made no sense that the AI was quick enough to lead to the last lap.

I've just read the review here, and watched the Digital Foundry video on YouTube, and not having a PS5, and so not GT7, the review here seems to minimise the huge black mark against the game in the need to always connected to play a large part of the game, even more so it seems than GT Sport. The review here addresses it, but as I said, minimises it imho. More than game saves seem to be reliant on GT servers, but a lot of the game too, maybe even more that GT Sport, is gone without that internet connection.
It does need to be mentioned that Gran Turismo 7 requires a constant internet connection to play the game, and all game saves are stored on Polyphony Digital’s servers. Kazunori Yamauchi has explained this requirement is designed to prevent cheating by modifying the game saves, and the game so frequently interacts with cloud-based services that online connectivity is required. I don’t personally have a problem with this, but it is important to acknowledge what a controversial design feature this is for many people.
GT Sport’s evolution since its release has also shown that Polyphony Digital views its modern titles as platforms to be built upon, with new content and extensive changes arriving deep into the game’s life. If GT7 receives a similar level of support — and I expect that it will — the game should evolve into an even more impressive monster.
GT Sport did improve a lot from release, and hopefully GT7 receives a lot of support in the years ahead, but it has to be pointed out that any evolution of the game will be lost when the servers supporting these games switch off. 😲

Because of the excitement of a new GT game I had put this to the back of my mind, but the Digital Foundry vid has brought it all back into focus. GT7 will be the first GT game that I have not bought day 1 from all the way back to importing the first GT game from Japan. I was starting to watch PS5 stock level sites, but now I'm not so sure. 🤔

When this was mentioned with GT Sport, there was hope that Polyphony Digital/Sony would patch the game to be a stand-alone 'whole' game when a new game came out, and/or, they switched the GT Sport servers off. Heard nothing of that. And I doubt they would do it either. 😟

As it is, I can play every previous GT on the consoles they were on, and obviously GT Sport and GT7 are fully playable (atm), but that may not be the case years down the line for the latter 2 games. And whereas, some of the older games can be emulated as more powerful computing power has appeared, would that even be possible however more powerful processors get! I doubt it, though I hope I am proved to be wrong.

An always on connection may be supposedly there to stop cheating, but I don't care about online racing or hacking. Give me the option to ignore/opt out of the online racing for a game that does not rely on an internet connect for the vast majority of its content. And be playable for possibly forever. Will never happen, but a nice idea. 'If' I were to cheat on my game however, and not interact with anyone online, who cares!

The lack of available PS5's may delay the time to make the difficult decision as to whether to buy the console and the game or not. It will be interesting to read all the reviews from now on though. ;)

Last time I gave Sport mode a go in GTS I came to the conclusion that it only really needed a couple of things to be tolerable. 1/ More Players. More players would give closer matching, rather than start on a grid with a spread of ability equating to about 5 seconds per lap, and the grid effectively getting strung out during the race. 2/ Shorter gap between races. Last time I played the time waiting to get into a race was longer than the race, it's just tedious. The rest was alright, and I will give it another go in GT7, but, at my skill level (think I'm DR C at the moment), the races just aren't that good. At least not good enough to make me want to put up the tedium of waiting, and the lack of options. I suspect GT7 will see an influx of rammers that probably gave up on GTS ages ago too.
Fair point that depending your skill level your experience may be different from mine. I have not played sport for a while to make sure I was not burned out when starting gt7. But I spent most of my racing in upper b lower a with s sportmanship. Also from launch when there were no issues with the amount of players. Online has evolved through gt sports lifetime though so the starting point which gt7 builds on is much more refined I think.

I also hope they add to the three daily races to have more choice and less waiting. I think it will invite more players to online also if it is more accessable. But if not enough players it will work the opposite way.

Just heard that there isn't rain in every track.. that's a bummer.. I really thought that GT7 would have this implemented
I think we knew this already, not thing surprising here. I think lack of day/night cycle is more of a bummer but again, was known and expected.

Last edited:
I worry that i will not be able to glance over the terrible AI and catch the rabbit races for the THIRD consecutive time.

More Players. More players would give closer matching, rather than start on a grid with a spread of ability equating to about 5 seconds per lap
Rooms I get put in the qualy time is usually around a 1.5 second differential pole to last. What we need is a working penatly system then big accidents are less likely. That’s what usually causes a spread out field in my experience,

Doesn't make that much of a difference. The transfer speed is limited by the connection and the compression techniques.
It sure does! I had an SSD in my PS4 Pro and in every game loading times were reduced by 20-33%, sometimes even 50%. Digital Foundry also did some videos about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back