Gran Turismo 7 Review: Return of the King

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 488 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then what's gonna happen if you run long enough on a track that doesn't support 24h cycle? Does the time just stop?
Maybe.
Really impressive. After Sport was so restrictive with track choices, and GT6 being the last game with time of day changes, this is truly the GT we all deserve. šŸ‘

What exactly is dynamic weather without rain? šŸ¤”
Sun and clouds ;)

After reviewing graphic-comparison-videos i agree to the other guys here - PS4 pro is the way to go, no need of a expensive PS5 at the moment.

And the exaggerated atomic-sun-glow on the cars is worse on PS5, than on PS4

Also raytracing seems to look worse than performance, most of the time

RIP to all PS5 buyers šŸ’©
This is straight up copium.

PS4 Pro never was the way to go, it was barely an upgrade over the original PS4. But I agree that the PS5 version barely is an upgrade over the PS4 version. It's pretty funny that my 9 year old console can play a next-gen game with only worse loading times and lighting (in some conditions). But it's also sad for people who bought a PS5 specifically for this game, I guess.
This whole FOMO business over console graphics is bit sad, everyone gets to enjoy the game at its optimum for the system they have. Talk about looking in the gift horses mouth rofl. Or is it that your comparing notes on one of these?
maxresdefault.jpg

PS4 Pro never was the way to go, it was barely an upgrade over the original PS4. But I agree that the PS5 version barely is an upgrade over the PS4 version. It's pretty funny that my 9 year old console can play a next-gen game with only worse loading times and lighting (in some conditions). But it's also sad for people who bought a PS5 specifically for this game, I guess.

Thanks for your empathy and condolences. Itā€™s reassuring to know that we have the suppprt of the world behind us. Iā€™ll be sure to let you know how Iā€™m holding up under the hardship of playing on my PS5.

Last edited:
HDR is supported on OG PS4 though.
Cool!

My main point was 4K 'though. Don't you think that makes a huge difference? Sure looked a Helluva-lot clearer and more-detailed to me in the comparisons I saw.

That said, we adapt. I'm sure peeps will be happy at 1080p.

After reviewing graphic-comparison-videos i agree to the other guys here - PS4 pro is the way to go, no need of a expensive PS5 at the moment.

If checker board 4K is fine for you, and you're okay with more frequent fps dips here and there, I'd agree. But there's one more thing you have to be okay with... it will sound like a plane taking off. ā¬‡ļøā¬‡ļøā¬‡ļøā¬‡ļø

For the first 11 months I owned a PS5, I never bought a single PS5 game. I celebrated playing/re-playing PS4 games (including GT Sport) with complete silence from the fan.

Jordan didn't mention PS4 Pro sound in his review.. but my guess is.. it's going to be loud.

Attachments

• Airbus-A330-300-Turkish-Airlines-Takeoff-1140x761.jpg
    Airbus-A330-300-Turkish-Airlines-Takeoff-1140x761.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 14
Cool!

My main point was 4K 'though. Don't you think that makes a huge difference? Sure looked a Helluva-lot clearer and more-detailed to me in the comparisons I saw.

Maybe everything looks like the inside of a cataract but that's Polyphony's fault lol

I bought a PS5 late last year specifically for GT7. If they hadn't been in short supply, I'd probably have waited, but when one came up at list price (rather than eBay Scalper price), I thought it was stupid to pass up the opportunity. I found the difference between GTS on my standard PS4 and on my PS5 to be quite noticeable. If that's representative of what GTS was like on a PS4 Pro, I'd agree graphically the uplift might not be worth it if you're coming from a Pro, but from a standard PS4, the graphical improvement, loading times, and Dual Sense (and having a PS5 for othr PS5 games)... I'd say the PS5 was still worth it.

The resolution comparisons that have been shown, particularly the DF one, show that the PS5's resolution and draw distance alone are noticeable steps up over the PS4/PS4 Pro, as is the use of Per-Pixel motion blur (which the PS4/PS4 Pro does not have). To quote them:

"One of my favourite additions, however, is the inclusion of per-pixel motion blur during actual gameplay. I believe GT Sport allowed this in the lower resolution mode on the PS4 Pro but it's nice to finally see the effect used at full resolution, greatly improving the sense of speed and the feeling of motion. So, this is the first improvement then - image quality is a significant step up from GT Sport. "

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-analysis-how-polyphony-uses-the-power-of-ps5

The difference in resolution and the extra detail it provides is quite clear

GT7.png

Is GT7 compromised by cross-gen over the product it could be? Yes. Does that mean the GT7 version doesn't offer noticeable graphics upgrades over the PS4/PS4 Pro versions? No.

Last edited:
Cool!

Oh, I think the PS5 version will definitely be the best version by a mile. I was just pointing out that HDR is not exclusive to PS5.

Not only will the PS5 version look more superior than people are willing to admit, but the loading times alone are worth it in my opinion. Iā€™ve had a PS5 since August, and itā€™s amazing how spoiled Iā€™ve become by the instant loading. This along with 60 FPS performance modes are the true game changers this gen I think.

Last edited:
Engine swaps have been shown in other reviews, VVV review or Black Pantha, no disrespect to Jordan but he is human as we all are and you miss things
Hm, seem to have missed that. Can you tell me at what timestamp in the videos?

I bought a PS5 a couple of months ago, mainly, but not only for GT7. A review on YouTube by "Super GT" was quite interesting. He noted that the cars are noticeably more unstable, if you hit a kerb, or change direction too quickly, etc. Making you improve your Driving, from GT Sport level.

This whole FOMO business over console graphics is bit sad, everyone gets to enjoy the game at its optimum for the system they have.
Yeah, after all the speculation and concern for the then-unseen PS4 versions, it's reassuring to see that GT7 looks and performs great on all 3 consoles, but then of course it does having GTS as its base.

Being on PS4 for another few months, even I was expecting worse, but this looks like a win for everyone.

Been watching Jimmy play GT7 and he is not impressed by the AI at all. Hopefully that changes as he progresses in but certainly from what I have seen, you basically pass them all in the first lap - even on the hardest difficulty.

Been watching Jimmy play GT7 and he is not impressed by the AI at all. Hopefully that changes as he progresses in but certainly from what I have seen, you basically pass them all in the first lap - even on the hardest difficulty.
About IA i supose there will be updates along the way. Im not shure if you aware about "Sophy", the new IA that its being developed and probably will be add in a future update.

Anyways it's about that time again... so please Polyphony / Kaz can we have.... (Spa... oh wait... err) Mugello in a future update... lol

So sad I have to play on my PS5, seriously distraught šŸ˜„

About IA i supose there will be updates along the way. Im not shure if you aware about "Sophy", the new IA that its being developed and probably will be add in a future update.
No promise of Sophy being incorporated into the opponent AI for GT7 has been made by PD or Sony. The Sophy presentations made this quite clear.

As I said over in my photo thread I received my disc today a day early too.
My first impressions are very positive. The dual sense controller is a game changer for me and makes all the difference to feel the track and the car until I can get all my T300rs set up again. The lighting and ray tracing looks great and I found the Ai to be quite tough if honest if you are underpowered to take that first spot. There are a few nice touches added to Scapes and 2500 places to capture. If I took one location photo a day it would still take me 7 years to work my way through it! Amazing amount of content for the photographers out there.
The actual handling and physics (on controller) feel great and much better than GTSport for me.
I will say if you played GTSport quite a lot will feel similar but everything just feels that bit more polished and nostalgic so far. I managed to get the golds all comfortably but it is a slow start to the game so just sit back and work your way through the tests and races. The cafe give out plenty of cars to start you off and you will soon be adding lots more to your garage.
I have only just scratched the surface and got my free daily prize but you can play all the cars and tracks you unlock as you go in arcade mode. I won't say too much yet so you can all enjoy it when it unlocks.:cheers: Oh and the sound and audio is great so far even on the small hatchbacks.

Last edited:
game seems the great one. Cant get my hands on one at least until May.

I hope they don't downgrade the physics to have a more approachable game, it seems some noobs was bad at it and that can make people complain and PD change it again, like they did gts

No promise of Sophy being incorporated into the opponent AI for GT7 has been made by PD or Sony. The Sophy presentations made this quite clear.
Obviously Sophy wont be implemented locally, the low resource algorithms Sophy produces will be though, and this will subsequently change the behaviour of the opponents. It doesn't have to be too complex just a rock paper scissors outcome for each corner depending on player behaviour attenuated to car stats / PP rating. I bet the tweaking of those algorithms is in constant flux as they add new content, and it will be some accomplishment to properly implement. I wonder what kind of weird aberrations occur when trying these algorithms out, would make for a good blooper reel...

Last edited:
Obviously Sophy wont be implemented locally, the low resource algorithms Sophy produces will be though, and this will subsequently change the behaviour of the opponents. It doesn't have to be too complex just a rock paper scissors outcome for each corner depending on player behaviour attenuated to car stats / PP rating. I bet the tweaking of those algorithms is in constant flux as they add new content, and it will be some accomplishment to properly implement. I wonder what kind of weird aberrations occur when trying these algorithms out, would make for a good blooper reel I bet...
Theyā€™d have to scrap the chase the rabbit races if the AI is improved which is most the career mode so seems unlikely.

Theyā€™d have to scrap the chase the rabbit races if the AI is improved which is most the career mode so seems unlikely.
Thus if I were to guess, the seasonal events, which the back of the box has printed, will likely be where Sophy can been implemented.

However thereā€™s precedence of PD having events added via GT Sport, so itā€™s also possible Sophy AI can be added like that as well.

Thus if I were to guess, the seasonal events, which the back of the box has printed, will likely be where Sophy can been implemented.

However thereā€™s precedence of PD having events added via GT Sport, so itā€™s also possible Sophy AI can be added like that as well.
I have a feeling itā€™ll be a ā€˜race Sophyā€™ challenge like the Lewis dlc. Time will tell, and knowing PD, quite a long time.

Last edited:
I like Alan and Team VVV a lot, but I do find that he gets a bit overexcited with new titles
....but they were both quite specific in some of their details of the differences in the physics they noted. Their responses didn't come across as feedback from folks with their judgement clouded by excessive excitement for the game. The changes between GTS and GT7 they mentioned seemed well laid out and clear to me in their presentations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back