Gran Turismo 7 Undocumented Changes Thread (Update 1.20)

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 198 comments
It's definitely more sensitive now but not too bad. And it seems like you normally don't take damage from ai tapping you, it's when you hit them.

Strangely enough, in my latest grind at le mans, I swerved to avoid hitting a car and hit one of the pylons and launched my car several feet in air, no damage taken.

“I’m better than you at video games” isn’t really a valid counterpoint to his complaint that the game is less fun for him now.
His complaint/Opinion doesn’t require a counterpoint. Because it’s one person’s opinion on a complaint that they have with whatever type of product. Agree/disagree, that’s called a conversation. Purposely mocking is…..

Not sure if this is either a) undocumented or b) something I’ve just never noticed, but the Japanese FR races have light damage now?

Not sure if this is either a) undocumented or b) something I’ve just never noticed, but the Japanese FR races have light damage now?
It's the same everywhere. Before, light touches didn't cause anything in the Tokyo race but now, pretty much any touch counts.

Also, sound effects have been increased. Before my MR2's race exhaust didn't have any noticeable note, now it's raspy.

Having damage is not exclusive to hardcore sims .
I remember the days of playing GTR 2 and just remember the brutal ai while racing 50 of them and just crashing, seeing my wheels, bumpers andfall off my Lister Storm while rolling over, then call the pit in frustration(the nerve Of the dude asking me if i was ok there and to pit in haha) and I would just sit there and do nothing for a few laps and pretend everything is fine, haha i miss those days. [

I remember the days of playing GTR 2 and just remember the brutal ai while racing 50 of them and just crashing, seeing my wheels, bumpers andfall off my Lister Storm while rolling over, then call the pit in frustration(the nerve Of the dude asking me if i was ok there and to pit in haha) and I would just sit there and do nothing for a few laps and pretend everything is fine, haha i miss those days. [
While i haven't played GTR I know the feeling from other games haha .
On the damage topic i think part of the issue is that no matter what kind of contact is made we get steering damage, thanks to how primitive the damage model is.

The steering damage on any light touch killed my enjoyment (relatively speaking) in grinding Tokyo. Since this track became available I have been running it a few times a week and trying out all sorts of cars / trying to break my record.

The wall collision penalty was always harsh but manageable, however the new damage modelling is just stupid.

I'm hoping PD will realise it's a bug but then again given they're on a mission to fix multiplayer cheating I don't know if they'll tone it down.

The steering damage on any light touch killed my enjoyment (relatively speaking) in grinding Tokyo. Since this track became available I have been running it a few times a week and trying out all sorts of cars / trying to break my record.

The wall collision penalty was always harsh but manageable, however the new damage modelling is just stupid.

I'm hoping PD will realise it's a bug but then again given they're on a mission to fix multiplayer cheating I don't know if they'll tone it down.
It's not a bug. It is literally designed and implemented to stop wall riding, because as you said, it was being abused online. This is their measure to prevent it.

It works. You're meant to avoid the walls. Walls hurt. You aren't supposed to get away with hitting walls.

Why is it,as your correcting the steering due to a wall brush,does the damage go away on a bend so you graze the wall again.? :lol::lol: On a separate note,i nudged the wall on my left,steering correction time again,then nudged the wall on my right.Car went straight,no steering connection needed.lol
I understand why they implemented it but the ai dont get any penaltys,a very slight graze shouldnt knacker your steeringlike it does.It may be`realistic`but damage that magically repairs itself 20 odd seconds later isnt.A pit stop to repair would be an idea but thats going off topic. 👍

Last edited:
Why is it,as your correcting the steering due to a wall brush,does the damage go away on a bend so you graze the wall again.?
YES!!! Have it flash like last 3-5 seconds so at least you can be ready lol. On Tokyo I've started to realize where the damage will be fixed since you know, I have my fair share of bumps lol

Anyone noticing a slight fps increase in Ps4, and more texture pop up in the distance or are my eyes playing up ?

Having damage is not exclusive to hardcore sims .
I was referring to having a damage model so intense, that a small bump or scrape could potentially end your whole race. This should be nothing more than a option for those who want that experience. Making that the default would just scare away the casuals and hurt the series in the long-run.

I think they should tone it down a bit. Even touching the wall gently simulates bending that wheel at like a twenty degree angle. :scared:
I got damage from touching the grass like I literally just went a tad wide on one turn and drove over some grass and it got damaged.

I have to agree, I noticed the same as a TH8rs user, the timing and sound of the shift in the game, now actually correlates/varies with the speed of your physical shift speed (no more rev hand). I particularly enjoy the open metal gated shift sound of the DiabloGT..(Turn up the shift noise level a notch or two within the sounds sub menu and experience each cars unique shift sound)
I love how each car has it’s own shift sound it’s awesome. Paddles or shifter. It’s great.

Last edited:
Onve they do something right people complain. Stop it please. You should not touch the walls and other cars. Finally they implemented the damage model and it works great.
Imo "something right" is debatable. I don't disagree with the idea but the implementation is arguably poor. As others mentioned, "light" damage translates to a small bump on another car bending the steering a huge amount, not sure if you've been to a destruction derby where cars shunt a huge deal more with far less damage. Then of course the damage just vanishes mid corner to cause another bump on some wall... awesome feature!

It's a fairly casual game that ought to be enjoyable to a wide range of players, why not add an "extreme" damage option that works in this bizarre way and allow those who want the choice?

200.gif

I'm not sure what's causing the increased tire wear. I am still running the Sardegna 800 on a single set of RH's with the Red Bull Comp. The Porsche 919 and the F1500T-A can do it on two. All three cars require a single stop for fuel.
Rain and sports tires do not wear on wet roads anymore. Because of this I stop only for fuel at the Sarthe 700 and the Spa 800 in the Red Bull Comp and the 1500. Pit stops halfway through the Spa 800 are now super easy with the 1500. I never miss the entrance. 🤥🤥🤥
The Raptor sounds a bit more like the real thing now, but it doesn't hold the road like my 4WD F-150 does. I haven't run any of the Coyote equipped Mustangs at all, so I don't know how the stock sound compares.
Damage doesn't seem to matter much. Yeah, the car pulls to one side sometimes and occasionally loses power but that's it. I typically run very low gear ratios and a lot of downforce anyway with the emphasis on being able to pull out of turns quickly. On a very few tracks I'll set the transmission so that the car hits red line in high gear about halfway down the longest straights, those include Tokyo East, Sarthe, Spa, and Route X.
I have yet to try the "new" Formula 1 car. I saved up for it, then saw the Ferrari next to it was limited stick and bought that instead. Will be saving/grinding for the Formula car over the next few days

After doing 5-6 Sardegna 800 runs to get the MP4 I'm left with a weird impression that the AI tried to avoid me and acted less aggressive?

It could be a byproduct of me trying very hard to avoid damage thanks to the much-needed adjustment in car damage.

It's not a bug. It is literally designed and implemented to stop wall riding, because as you said, it was being abused online. This is their measure to prevent it.

It works. You're meant to avoid the walls. Walls hurt. You aren't supposed to get away with hitting walls.
Right, but there's a balance to be had.

One can imagine a scale of penalties for hitting walls.
At one end is no penalty at all - you receive no damage and your car doesn't slow down at all.
At the other end, your car immediately explodes if you touch a wall even the slightest amount. Your race is over.

Even though people agree that you should avoid walls, almost nobody will agree that you should have your race ended for any touch. Clearly the right answer for most people is going to be somewhere in the middle. Most people probably want something roughly similar, but they're going to disagree about exactly where on this scale the penalties should be.

Some might think that the penalties in the game aren't strong enough. That seemed to be the case pre-patch. There was pretty general agreement that wall-riding was under-penalised.

Some might think that the penalties are too strong. There seems to be some support for this post-patch. It's not unreasonable, you want to dissuade wall-riding but you also don't want to over penalise people who simply make mistakes or are just not that good at the game.

"Git gud" is not appropriate because it's not responsive to the actual problem. People should be (and probably are) trying to get better at the game and avoid hitting stuff, but the game shouldn't be miserable to play while they're doing so. That's what separates Gran Turismo from the hardcore simulators that can and do end your race if you hit the wall too hard. It's more casual and beginner friendly, you can make mistakes and learn and the punishment/penalties are less.

The idea that this new penalty system is maybe overly punishing to the casual player that makes up a large proportion of Gran Turismo's playerbase isn't one that should just be dismissed. We all know how few people play online. To what extent is it appropriate to sacrifice the casual single player experience for the online competitions of a visible minority?

I also find that my porsche 95 carrera also have better sound than before. Louder exhaust sound. Edit oops it wad documdnted change.
It's the same everywhere. Before, light touches didn't cause anything in the Tokyo race but now, pretty much any touch counts.

Also, sound effects have been increased. Before my MR2's race exhaust didn't have any noticeable note, now it's raspy.

Last edited:
After doing 5-6 Sardegna 800 runs to get the MP4 I'm left with a weird impression that the AI tried to avoid me and acted less aggressive?

It could be a byproduct of me trying very hard to avoid damage thanks to the much-needed adjustment in car damage.
I wanted to ask this Same exact question, I have seen the AI vary completly now, i always wondered by Portilla will go from the top to the middle and the back my last race Wilks with the ford gt out of all people was second place in my last SPA run, I want to say they are varying it up but it is interesting to note that i do see AI fatigue or shake up in AI order, maybe it’s just us but it’s funny Seeing different racers up to but I legit used to laugh seeing the Ford GT always last and sad at the same time since the lights were kind of cool. Scary

Yes but lightly tapping the walls should have been fine, shouldn't it ?

Undocumented changes, anyone?
That reminds me, as a controller user, the throttle sound when you change gears now seems to be better. Before, it sounds like the driver is riding the clutch or something, now it sounds okay.

Back