Gran Turismo 7 Undocumented Changes Thread (Update 1.20)

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 198 comments
I think it's good it punishes hitting walls or other cars. Just look today in F1 Hamilton and Alonso touch wheels and Hamiltons car is done.
Which ironically is not possible in GT7 because the open wheel contact physics are still terrible.

Are open wheelers the focus of this game? You really have a lot to whine about for a game you don't even play.
To be fair the game dosen't focus on a specific group of cars, but regardless flaws in the simulation which is the point of the game should be discussed .

To be fair the game dosen't focus on a specific group of cars, but regardless flaws in the simulation which is the point of the game should be discussed .
When have crash physics/simulation ever been a focus for GT? They want to promote clean racing as much as possible.

And now they should invest resources to make open wheel crash simulation better?
When only a tiny amount of cars, races and events are open wheel?

Decades? Tell me about those technical aspects decades old?
That was an exaggeration on my part i will edit it, however
Damage is decades behind
Car audio is still not on par (even tho things have become better since 2015) and same goes for the AI .
Obvious holes in the physics like the simplistic simulation of hybrid cars, lack of adjustable tyre pressure etc.

Haven't seen it mentioned. But in the World Tour events it looks like the tyres now default to Michelin Pilots like they did in GTS's FIA races.

Haven't seen it mentioned. But in the World Tour events it looks like the tyres now default to Michelin Pilots like they did in GTS's FIA races.
IIRC this change began from around the season 2 started, and is done on per-event basis (using the forced tire sticker flag).

When have crash physics/simulation ever been a focus for GT? They want to promote clean racing as much as possible.

And now they should invest resources to make open wheel crash simulation better?
When only a tiny amount of cars, races and events are open wheel?
Wouldn't having proper crash physics with actual consequences for mistakes and contacts with cars promote clean racing even more? You know, because people would try to avoid it?

Wouldn't having proper crash physics with actual consequences for mistakes and contacts with cars promote clean racing even more? You know, because people would try to avoid it?
Yes, but we both know the development costs of that are astronomically high. iRacing only started doing that in what, 2016? And even then quite a lot of cars don't support the upgraded damage model. There's a reason developers seldom approach it (and its not entirely licensing as urban legend would have you believe).

Actual consequences for crashes is what we have now, even if that isn't paired with realistic crash physics its certainly better than having neither.

But its not a focus for GT , a supposedly driving simulator with focus on racing e-sports /s .

For one, having a great damage model that looks similar to the rest of the game would be amazing for immersion. Meaning you would think twice before planting your foot on the throttle and whatnot. However, from the manufacturers complaining about their cars being destroyed, to the extensive time it would take to model countless damage models of the cars in the game, that makes it unfeasible imo. GT will probably lack true damage forever. As most games do only have cosmetic (and bad) damage

Have you seen F1 2022 online racing? Its carnage.
How much complaining do you think there will be if another car can smash into you and end your race?

Last edited:
IIRC this change began from around the season 2 started, and is done on per-event basis (using the forced tire sticker flag).
Wasn't there the weekend before. Friday was the first time my Dunlops have changed to Michelin.

Yes, it has been smoothed. I could even say it's been 'fixed'. It was very uncomfortable visually.

I noticed that some, maybe all cars now have an uneven cockpit wobble/swing, it moves more in one direction than the other. Most noticeable in the McLaren MP4/4 when going through Eu Rouge.

I noticed that some, maybe all cars now have an uneven cockpit wobble/swing, it moves more in one direction than the other. Most noticeable in the McLaren MP4/4 when going through Eu Rouge.
I was going to post something similar but I don’t watch enough reply’s to know for sure. It seems like the position of the second in car camera, the one that pans around, has been moved more to the center and back a little bit.

Hi,
After I did a few different Races in repeat - the AI tactics within the various races are updated. Outcome in most races is now different to v1.19 and before. But this i quite fun - because you have something new to explore.
The update of the damage model is too harsh for my feelings. But hey - if you don't do anything, there will be no progress at all. Let's see, where it takes us - I am sure, that there will be detail changes in the future.
BR K.

I too think it's very good because in the last two or three days while doing daily race C, I've been finding they've been very very clean races all because people do not want to inflict that heavy damage on themselves
Was doing a race at Catalunya and 2 cars in front are bashing into each others side along the straight then spinning out , one collecting me, utterly pointless, all they doing is slowing each other down and getting damage, not very clever eh.

Last edited:
The Plymouth Superbird has been fixed. It used to ignore traction control/stability control settings making it impossible to control, but now that has been fixed. YAY!

Also, seems like the Brake Zone issue in the rain on LeMans has been mostly fixed. It seems to be random whether the zone leading to the Mulsanne hairpin is there or not.

I’ve noticed this from day one. Certain cars, the “avatar” will look one way, I’m correcting the car aand it’s gone the other way. I haven’t liked it, as I mainly use cockpit with no HUD.

That was an exaggeration on my part i will edit it, however
Damage is decades behind
Car audio is still not on par (even tho things have become better since 2015) and same goes for the AI .
Obvious holes in the physics like the simplistic simulation of hybrid cars, lack of adjustable tyre pressure etc.
Damage could be better, but that's not the focus in this game. If i want to crash cars, I can play Wreckfest. Again, I'm not saying it shouldn't be improved, but that's not the main point of the game.

Car audio is not that bad, it's pretty decent now.

AI is in the works (Sophy).

Physics can be improved (and that is available for every other sim), but as you can see, they are doing that, in fact the most recent update improved the handling for MR cars. What's bothering me is the suspension model for small cars (Fiat 500, Alfa Romeo Mito etc.) because when braking, the cars almost flip over (the back wheels seem like they're about to fall).

What I'm trying to say is that there is definitely room for improvement, but it's not years behind. The game has its problems, but for some of them there are already solutions in the works (ai), and for others there will always be room for improvement (physics).

Here’s the visual Tyre wear.

Race start
20970732908330085.jpg

Lap 5
20970605072565297.jpg

Lap 9
20970250217147820.jpg

Damage could be better, but that's not the focus in this game. If i want to crash cars, I can play Wreckfest. Again, I'm not saying it shouldn't be improved, but that's not the main point of the game.

Car audio is not that bad, it's pretty decent now.

AI is in the works (Sophy).

Physics can be improved (and that is available for every other sim), but as you can see, they are doing that, in fact the most recent update improved the handling for MR cars. What's bothering me is the suspension model for small cars (Fiat 500, Alfa Romeo Mito etc.) because when braking, the cars almost flip over (the back wheels seem like they're about to fall).

What I'm trying to say is that there is definitely room for improvement, but it's not years behind. The game has its problems, but for some of them there are already solutions in the works (ai), and for others there will always be room for improvement (physics).

Imagine still carrying water for Polyphony’s pre-release lies. At what point do people like this wake up?

The Plymouth Superbird has been fixed. It used to ignore traction control/stability control settings making it impossible to control, but now that has been fixed. YAY!
It has? I'm still having trouble with it as an AI garage car in custom races. I'll mess around with the settings a bit more tonight but I think it's still broken.

Wasn't that already in the game? I remember a comparison a few months back showing the difference between a fresh tyre, a worn one and one that just went over grass
Not sure. I can’t recall seeing or reading about it. I only saw a recent post here. that mentioned someone, on twitter(?), ran their tyres down. I tried it in some of my custom races(tuned road cars on slicks), but only 1x wear 10 laps. Noticed the shine was getting dull, but no graining like the pics at a higher multiplier.

It has? I'm still having trouble with it as an AI garage car in custom races. I'll mess around with the settings a bit more tonight but I think it's still broken.
It had traction control when I ran it around LeMan today. Maybe it's not fixed for the AI? shrug

Back