Gran Turismo 7 Was The Second-Best Selling Game in March 2022

• Thread starter Famine
  • 255 comments
Posted this in the news thread but it’s relevant here. Could have a significant impact on GT7 sales if it’s a worldwide bundle (which I presume). As we head towards the Christmas season & Black Friday.

August NPD released for the US. Lots of new PS5 stock which helped GT7 move upto #17 in the All-Formats chart. While placing #5 in the PlayStation chart.

GT7 is the #8 best selling title in the US Year-to-Date.

Last edited:
I‘m a player to finally have bought a PS5. I do wonder if the sales are also due to those of us who updated to the PS5 version. So, not only did those of us inital PS4 owners buy the 25th Anniversary digital version(PS4/0PS5), were the sales counted twice or three times?
Once, for buying the 25th anniversary, then, twice for activating the digital PS4. Now, again, for activating the PS5 version.

Only wondering because, if I didn’t play the digital version at all, it’d just be a sale of Gran Turismo 7. However, if I still didn’t play it, would it be a sale of the PS4 AND PS5 version?

I‘m a player to finally have bought a PS5. I do wonder if the sales are also due to those of us who updated to the PS5 version. So, not only did those of us inital PS4 owners buy the 25th Anniversary digital version(PS4/0PS5), were the sales counted twice or three times?
Once, for buying the 25th anniversary, then, twice for activating the digital PS4. Now, again, for activating the PS5 version.

Only wondering because, if I didn’t play the digital version at all, it’d just be a sale of Gran Turismo 7. However, if I still didn’t play it, would it be a sale of the PS4 AND PS5 version?
A product will be an individual sku and counted once. Technically it would probably be counted as a PS5 sale as that’s the most expensive. Sony & PD will know the specifics of who uses what versions. The only other metric they’re concerned with is player count. That will be determined by PSN accounts.

August NPD numbers are notable as PS5 was the biggest seller due to more stock. This resulted in all PS5 titles, particularly 1st party, moving up the rankings.

PS5 was once again the best selling console in the US. Double digit increase in sales Year-on-Year. Stock improving dramatically.

GT7 was the #10 best selling PlayStation title in September. It remains the #8 best selling title (All-Formats) in the US this year.

With those sales figures, there's not much incentive for Sony to spend money to make changes.
Quite the opposite. Sony’s strategy is to grow their existing franchises and reach an ever wider playerbase. Following in the steps of Disney/Marvel & Nintendo. Which is why you’ll see the Gran Turismo franchise on new platforms & media.

As for GT7 itself. Much of the commentary doesn’t really extend beyond the end of the next month. Rather than where GT7 will be a year, or even 2 years, post launch. There’s no doubt PD need to drop some content & promised features short-term. With indications suggesting that will be the case.

Quite the opposite. Sony’s strategy is to grow their existing franchises and reach an ever wider playerbase. Following in the steps of Disney/Marvel & Nintendo. Which is why you’ll see the Gran Turismo franchise on new platforms & media.

As for GT7 itself. Much of the commentary doesn’t really extend beyond the end of the next month. Rather than where GT7 will be a year, or even 2 years, post launch. There’s no doubt PD need to drop some content & promised features short-term. With indications suggesting that will be the case.

You do realise that tweet is from April? It's 6 months old. The short term has long passed here and the only feature we can assume is coming at some point maybe within the next 6 months is selling cars and there's no guarentee of that. Even then, that's a feautre that was advertised by Sony at a game feature launch (not selling cars per-se but selling something in the game and it's not a big stretch to conclude it was referring to selling cars).

All we're getting is drip feeding of cars and events with the occasional new track layout/new location. That's just chucking seasoning on a turd, it's still a turd.

The sheer potential GT7 has if they stopped thinking of MTX's and stretching the content over as long a period as possible makes the it all more dissapointing. It could easilly be the best GT game to date and with the right decision making it could quite easilly please the majority of the single player and multiplayer fans combined, but they are choosing not to do what's needed.

Last edited:
You do realise that tweet is from April? It's 6 months old. The short term has long passed here and the only feature we can assume is coming at some point maybe within the next 6 months is selling cars and there's no guarentee of that. Even then, that's a feautre that was advertised by Sony at a game feature launch (not selling cars per-se but selling something in the game and it's not a big stretch to conclude it was referring to selling cars).

All we're getting is drip feeding of cars and events with the occasional new track layout/new location. That's just chucking seasoning on a turd, it's still a turd.

The sheer potential GT7 has if they stopped thinking of MTX's and stretching the content over as long a period as possible makes the it all more dissapointing. It could easilly be the best GT game to date and with the right decision making it could quite easilly please the majority of the single player and multiplayer fans combined, but they are choosing not to do what's needed.
The short-term is with regards to a pre-Christmas update. Possibly to coincide with the World Finals. Which is a fair summation considering Grand Valley and selling cars are seemingly complete. I’d like to think we’ll also get more substantial event updates.

As much as people claim PD aren’t listening and simply ignoring requests. It’s far more likely they’re working to an agreed marketing & release strategy. And simple can’t speak about certain other future developments like every other Sony 1st Party studio. Exec level discussions between Kaz & Hermen will not be about the day-to-day business. Rather medium & long-term plans. That particular tweet is from April. Hermen is also on a studio tour in Japan right now.
I think for the fans who are wanting a bit more in post-launch support, that's probably not where they want to see the money going.
Post launch support for a GT title covers multiple years. In this online era it can be far more substantial and even game changing. But it also needs to be funded.

Expanding the playerbase, platforms & public awareness all brings in greater revenue. Which in turn justifies additional investment into the core product.

Last edited:
The short-term is with regards to a pre-Christmas update. Possibly to coincide with the World Finals. Which is a fair summation considering Grand Valley and selling cars are seemingly complete. I’d like to think we’ll also get more substantial event updates.

As much as people claim PD aren’t listening and simply ignoring requests. It’s far more likely they’re working to an agreed marketing & release strategy. And simple can’t speak about certain other future developments like every other Sony 1st Party studio. Exec level discussions between Kaz & Hermen will not be about the day-to-day business. Rather medium & long-term plans. That particular tweet is from April. Hermen is also on a studio tour in Japan right now.

Post launch support for a GT title covers multiple years. In this online era it can be far more substantial and even game changing. But it also needs to be funded.

Expanding the playerbase, platforms & public awareness all brings in greater revenue. Which in turn justifies additional investment into the core product.
One little promo tweet because two staff heads met and you've somehow decided they were holding top secret, high level important meetings about long term plans and Kaz has been told not to talk about any of it publicly.

When for all you know they met for 5 minutes in a corridor and had a casual chat about a few things they've got coming up.

Hilarious.

Last edited:
One little promo tweet because two staff heads met and you've somehow decided they were holding top secret, high level important meetings about long term plans and Kaz has been told not to talk about any of it publicly.

When for all you know they met for 5 minutes in a corridor and had a casual chat about a few things they've got coming up.

Hilarious.
Why try to belittle people, it’s just a discussion. We don’t need to see every thread derailed.

The meeting between Kaz & Hermen took place a full 2 months after GT7 launched. It was at Guerrilla Games’ new Amsterdam studio while Japan still had travel restrictions.

Hermen’s ‘promo’ tweet was posted the day reviews landed.

So yes, call me crazy for thinking such a meeting is what it says on the tin. IE, discussing longer-term future plans. Which by their very nature cannot yet be discussed publicly.

PD aren’t some rogue studio doing as they please. Every move they make is in step with PlayStation Studios wider marketing strategy.

Why try to belittle people, it’s just a discussion. We don’t need to see every thread derailed.

The meeting between Kaz & Hermen took place a full 2 months after GT7 launched. It was at Guerrilla Games’ new Amsterdam studio while Japan still had travel restrictions.

Hermen’s ‘promo’ tweet was posted the day reviews landed.

So yes, call me crazy for thinking such a meeting is what it says on the tin. IE, discussing longer-term future plans. Which by their very nature cannot yet be discussed publicly.

PD aren’t some rogue studio doing as they please. Every move they make is in step with PlayStation Studios wider marketing strategy.

The tweet/tin doesn't say "long term plans", that's just your assumption. It is just a very vague, generic statement. It also doesn't explain why Kaz doesn't talk about any near-term plans, silent since March. 7 months and counting of nothing from him. Why can't he give a vague update of plans and announced updates?

Last edited:
The tweet/tin doesn't say "long term plans", that's just your assumption. It is just a very vague, generic statement. It also doesn't explain why Kaz doesn't talk about any near-term plans, silent since March. 7 months and counting of nothing from him. Why can't he give a vague update of plans and announced updates?
Kaz rarely talks about near-term plans. Which unfortunately has now been adopted by much of PlayStation Studios (It’s over a year since they announced a new AAA title). I wouldn’t do it that way. But Sony has reason to believe these short announcement-to-release windows are beneficial.

You’re correct, it is my assumption Kaz & Hermen where discussing longer-term plans. Anything we see in the next 6-12 months was locked in some time ago. Hermen’s job is to make the broader strategic decisions for PlayStation Studios.

Sony released their latest quarterly financial results for Q2 FY22 (JUL-SEP).

Software wise Sony sold 6.7m 1st Party titles. The only major title released was TLOU1. In the period since GT7 released (Q4 FY21 to Q2 FY22) Sony sold 27.8m 1st Party titles. The major releases during this time, in order, are HFW, GT7, MLB ‘22, TLOU1.

What’s also clear is Sony have a huge amount of PS5 inventory for the Christmas period. So there shouldn’t be any shortages.

Hi,

Please forgive me if I have missed the number...

I can see charts but I don't see any actual number for GT7 sales. How many copies have they actually sold please?

Many thanks.

Ian.

He probably wouldn’t have said anything without the mainstream gaming media coverage of GT7’s server outages, review bombing, and microtransaction economy.

All these months after the apology and they’ve said nothing and barely done anything since but trickle out two cars a month and cafe menu books. Live service games kind of need communication and road maps for content. PD just changes things like physics and penalties on a whim. I wonder how the game is even doing with only 14% of players even finishing one Sport mode race for that trophy.

Last edited:
As much as people claim PD aren’t listening and simply ignoring requests. It’s far more likely they’re working to an agreed marketing & release strategy.
Sometimes a duck is just a duck. If it looks like they're not listening and ignoring requests, then it's fairly likely that's actually the case and not that this is some 7-dimensional chess move to blow all our tiny minds.
For all you know they were discussing whether Polyphony should continue to exist.

I wonder how the game is even doing with only 14% of players even finishing one Sport mode race for that trophy.
Well all the big YouTubers views are down for GT7. Well down. I used to pull in 1.6K to 2.8K live stream views on this game upon release. Now lucky to hit 300-400, tops. With no Nations/Manu the game has only week long old stale races to do over and over and over... This game is going nowhere. And has been an unmitigated PR disaster since day 1.

Now, if only it was an exclusive PS5 title, with PS5 level graphics, actual in game ray tracing, 30 to 40 multiplayer grids, full dedicated server support in all online modes... Maybe it could have been the best GT game of all time.

But alas, it's a dumbed down Potatostation 4 port with old code, old bugs, old graphics and a wholly incompetent development studio behind it all.

But it has scapes. We like new scapes. Don't we 🤔

Last edited:
Well all the big YouTubers views are down for GT7. Well down. I used to pull in 1.6K to 2.8K live stream views on this game upon release. Now lucky to hit 300-400, tops. With no Nations/Manu the game has only week long old stale races to do over and over and over... This game is going nowhere. And has been an unmitigated PR disaster since day 1.

Now, if only it was an exclusive PS5 title, with PS5 level graphics, actual in game ray tracing, 30 to 40 multiplayer grids, full dedicated server support in all online modes... Maybe it could have been the best GT game of all time.

But alas, it's a dumbed down Potatostation 4 port with old code, old bugs, old graphics and a wholly incompetent development studio behind it all.

Someone from PD will read this as the fans want more scapes.

Whilst I broadly agree it should have been PS5 only I don't think that would've changed the biggest problems with the game. The PS4 version has nothing to do with only three online races a week, one TT a month, Hagerty 'real world' pricing and inflation, the wheel of despair, the lack of variety in high paying offline races, the online races paying peanuts, the engine swaps behind the wheel of despair and so on.

Those are all design choices. Poor ones, that would have still been made on a PS5 only version.

Last edited:
Sometimes a duck is just a duck. If it looks like they're not listening and ignoring requests, then it's fairly likely that's actually the case and not that this is some 7-dimensional chess move to blow all our tiny minds.
Most people don’t follow the industry or game development. They’ll have an emotional response to a monthly update or emoji posted on an official account. Development & marketing timelines aren’t particularly complicated. It’s the boring stuff that explains some (though not all) of PD’s moves. It’s why I can only make a final judgment on GT7 after it’s 3+ year active lifespan. After 3 months it has already justified my £60 purchase.
For all you know they were discussing whether Polyphony should continue to exist.
I’m sure there’s wishful thinking from certain quarters. As someone who is engaged with the world of GT and enjoying my time with GT7. I’ve never been more excited for the future of the franchise. Which is more than can be said for the GT5/GT6 period. Not only because of the commercial success of GT7 (which is the subject matter of this thread). But also because PD now have such a great base product with exciting technologies coming down the line.
I can only speak of the streamers I follow. Since GT7 launched Kie’s channel has exploded and now has 50k subscribers. Tidgney recently did a poll and some 80%+ (from memory) wanted GT7 content, then ACC, with iRacing trailing well behind.

I’ve no doubt PD could do much more to attract online players. But it’s two extremes who need to be catered for. Pro level players need more options & strategy. While those of us that don’t go online (the vast majority!) could be tempted by fun Hopper type events.

Last edited:
Development & marketing timelines aren’t particularly complicated. It’s the boring stuff that explains some (though not all) of PD’s moves.
You keep saying this, but where is your evidence? You claim it's not complicated and claim it's the reason for X and Y, but how are you privy to marketing plans within Sony?

Come on, tell us what the exact marketing and development timeline is for Gran Turismo 7. You seem to know.
I can only speak of the streamers I follow. Since GT7 launched Kie’s channel has exploded and now has 50k subscribers. Tidgney recently did a poll and some 80%+ (from memory) wanted GT7 content, then ACC, with iRacing trailing well behind.

I’ve no doubt PD could do much more to attract online players. But it’s two extremes who need to be catered for. Pro level players need more options & strategy. While those of us that don’t go online (the vast majority!) could be tempted by fun Hopper type events.

Subscribers aren't views. Views on his recent videos are 1K - 20K. Views on his videos around release were.....1K to 20K.

You keep saying this, but where is your evidence? You claim it's not complicated and claim it's the reason for X and Y, but how are you privy to marketing plans within Sony?

Come on, tell us what the exact marketing and development timeline is for Gran Turismo 7. You seem to know.
What is there to explain? How long do you think it takes to acquire licenses, build cars/tracks, and so on? Everything PD do first needs to be approved by PlayStation management, legal departments & marketing. Co-ordinated launches with OEM's, Brands and events like the World Series are many months in the offing. A major IP like GT7 isn't just launched and forgotten about. They'll have plans for year 2, 3 and beyond. Not to mention how they approach the release of a major Gran Turismo movie, PSVR2, PC, PS+.

Subscribers aren't views. Views on his recent videos are 1K - 20K. Views on his videos around release were.....1K to 20K.
He's a streamer. He makes his income from concurrent viewers, donations and so on. His channel took a huge jump when GT7 released, and he's maintained that momentum. We can just pat him on the back for his hard work.

Last edited:
What is there to explain? How long do you think it takes to acquire licenses, build cars/tracks, and so on? Everything PD do first needs to be approved by PlayStation management, legal departments & marketing. Co-ordinated launches with OEM's, Brands and events like the World Series are many months in the offing. A major IP like GT7 isn't just launched and forgotten about. They'll have plans for year 2, 3 and beyond. Not to mention how they approach the release of a major Gran Turismo movie, PSVR2, PC, PS+.
I'm going to agree with everying you say here, however there is a caveat, things do take time and organisation, but they don't take this much time and there are different people organising different things.

There's a reason other games can do all of this faster and it's not because the people at PD are incompetent, it's because they are deliberately dripping content through rather than pushing it over to us as and when it's ready. In fact, they could solve plenty of the games economy and worl dcircuits races issues with just a handful of staff over a couple of weeks.

More events with higher earning potential, making use of the cars and tracks we don't have races for/much use for and make use to the final couple of licenses. Throw in a few dozen new events with decent variety and some creative thought plus good earnings and that'd be mega. But they won't do that and that's got nothing to do with anything you mentioned above, that's for commercial reasons.

He's a streamer. He makes his income from concurrent viewers, donations and so on. His channel took a huge jump when GT7 released, and he's maintained that momentum. We can just pat him on the back for his hard work.
As far as he is gettgoes at least, TheKie25 get a good subscribers to views ratio, I don't watch him, but just checked him chanel and the views tend to vary from 2-3k to 10-12k depending on the type of video.

However, for perspective, videos showing the trailers for the new Need For Speed are bringing in many times more than that (100k-200k a video or more), and chanels that show racing games beyond Gran Turismo have far more subscribers than the GT channels get. No doubt doing a good job to get a good portion of his subscribers regularly watching his videos, but he isn't getting huge numbers relative to racing video game channels in general because I just don't think Gran Turismo generaltes that level of engagement seen by some other franchises.

Last edited:
Back