Gran Turismo 7 Was The Second-Best Selling Game in March 2022

• Thread starter Famine
  • 255 comments
I find it funny how some people want to posit GT7 selling well as somehow being proof that all the 'complaints' are somehow invalid - as if anyone with half a working brain isn't already aware that by virtue of being a PS exclusive title, GT7 could sell 10 million copies without much issue. But that doesn't take away from the fact that GT7 had an incredibly rough launch (and in fact, is still not out of the woods yet) and that Polyphony were very much intent on trying to see how far they could go with regards to regressive ideas. If it wasn't for the complaints, Polyphony were sure as hell intent on continuing the horrific, freemium economy GT7 launched with (and frankly, even with the changes, the likelyhood of Polyphony returning to it is high, considering they still haven't removed the microtransactions and have given no reason as to why they need to continue, at least other games with lootboxes/MTX controversies removed them and haven't gone back to them) and the complaints sure don't take away from the fact that GT7 is, at best, a sideways step from previous titles, and just continue to spin the tires in the same mold that GT4 set nearly two decades prior.

No matter how many times people want to jerk themselves raw that sales numbers trump 'complaints', they don't, the position GT7 finds itself right now is proof of that. Nor does it take away from people's real, and valid, desire to see the GT franchise be a better game, especially in the innovation and content front, instead of simply just doing the bare minimum and papering over everything else with blatant calls to nostalgia to the fanbase at large.

No matter how many times people want to jerk themselves raw that sales numbers trump 'complaints', they don't, the position GT7 finds itself right now is proof of that. Nor does it take away from people's real, and valid, desire to see the GT franchise be a better game, especially in the innovation and content front, instead of simply just doing the bare minimum and papering over everything else with blatant calls to nostalgia to the fanbase at large.

The funny thing about the "real world" though, is that sales numbers actually do trump everything else. As mi compa @XSquareStickIt says in our COTW reviews, "judging how good a race car is, is really easy. If the car wins, it's considered a good race car".

Perhaps the reason some of us older guys are more patient and a lot less theatrical concerning Gran Turismo 7 current (but improving) state... comes down to more than just general life experience. But also the estimation that in time, Gran Turismo 7 will prove to be the best addition to the franchise. All subjective of course, but the foundation of the game is there, the walls and roof are framed, and in a few months.... we'll be dried in. Still only half way to a complete house. But the hard work is done

Not saying that people's complaint's aren't valid, or that GT7 still needs a fair bit of work, because both of those ongoing themes across the forum are very much true. But how people sometimes try to justify their negative feelings towards this game (both warranted, and unwarranted), into saying this game hasn't been a resounding success, makes me giggle.

And I guarantee that Gran Turismo 8 will sell like hotcakes too. Modern society tends to have short memories these days :lol:

Last edited:
The funny thing about the "real world" though, is that sales numbers actually do trump everything else.
They play a part in a game's success, but the fact of the matter is that there are many different factors that make a game a 'success', and simply critical reception via the gaming press and sales are not the be all, end all that some aspects of this forum believe it is. How much time players are putting into it is one such aspect, and considering the fact that many of GT7's worst aspects were designed with play time in mind (specifically, the launch in game economy) Polyphony knows this too.

However, it ultimately doesn't matter. Companies don't want to have bad games hang over themselves, and it doesn't matter how well a game sells or is critically acclaimed, if you piss off the fanbase (which is what Polyphony did, no questions asked) then you will not have your game have the legs it should. This is simple. And by all intents and purposes, GT7 had a bad launch. And frankly, it still has a litany of issues that Polyphony have shown no desire to fix, bad PR from the fanbase or general gaming press be damned.

But also the estimation that in time, Gran Turismo 7 will prove to be the best addition to the franchise. All subjective of course, but the foundation of the game is there
Is it? Because I, alongside a good amount of people on this forum (and indeed, the reviews for this game by Jordan himself) don't see that 'foundation' at all. I still see the same game, fundamentally, that I played in 2005, only with the graphics made better and with newer features that ultimately don't mean much for someone who has also grown older and has had their opinions on racing game refined and honed. Do you believe that the AI, which Polyphony has made no attempt to fix is any better then it was two decade prior? Or the actual structure of the races, which follow a structure that has been in the series for almost as long, and that Polyphony has also made no attempt to fix? Or the fact that the multiplayer lobbies outside of Sport Mode have taken a massive step back, and that Polyphony has said nothing about trying to fix, potentially destroying one aspect of the community that is important to the long term viability of the game?

No, it's just accepted that the standard for games in 2005 wasn't as high as it is in 2022. The same way that we can appreciate old cars that are objectively garbage by modern standards but were beyond anything else that was available at the time.
There are still games in that time that doesn't have terrible UI/UX, tedious part, good AI, good car sound, so different era shouldn't excuse that one if other games has that. Appreciating old stuff also can be done due to being blinded by nostalgia and that's just a biased mindset.
This is why trying to copy GT4 outright is a mistake - but Polyphony should still be using the parts that worked and modernising the parts that didn't or that have aged poorly.
But the suggestion to copy GT4 can happen because those old games' issues are swept under the rug and all the NoStAlGiA revering.
So you're basically flat-out saying that "GT was never good" in vein of what certain parts of Sonic fans have said about their series - something I've thought might belong here.
And is it really wrong? Sales and popularity also doesn't determine actual game quality. That probably should've been done more instead of just bashing GT7 while putting older GT games on pedestal and giving them free pass on choices done that time, that isn't era-related like PD removing License shortcuts on GT3 (something rightfully bashed on GT7, but not GT3).

And is it really wrong? Sales and popularity also doesn't determine actual game quality. That probably should've been done more instead of just bashing GT7 while putting older GT games on pedestal and giving them free pass on choices done that time, that isn't era-related like PD removing License shortcuts on GT3 (something rightfully bashed on GT7, but not GT3).
The issue is, you're applying your own negative views on the series that come from the here and now (valid) and applying them retroactively to every other game and, like mentioned, basically trying to say that the GT franchise was never good, when that isn't true at all. Of course, subjective opinions and all that, but there is a reason why people (myself included) like the older games, and it certainly isn't you trying to posit that it's rose tinted glasses nostalgic gazing. People are very willing to see games, especially older ones, for what they are, and enjoy them with the mindset of when they came out.

Which ultimately, is the healthy way to enjoy older games instead of reflexively trying to posit that all older games are good and new games are crap, or the opposite which is what you're doing at this very moment saying that none of the games were good, and letting your views on the series now color your view on the older games.

Of course, subjective opinions and all that, but there is a reason why people (myself included) like the older games, and it certainly isn't you trying to posit that it's rose tinted glasses nostalgic gazing. People are very willing to see games, especially older ones, for what they are, and enjoy them with the mindset of when they came out.
Then what scenario actually allows for proper criticism for those older games? I know there are different standards for different generations, but often praising the older stuff involved double standard of overlooking what's actually wrong in them, moreso that isn't applied on the newer stuff too.

For 'the mindset when they came out', I picked the flaws that are, not era related (or other games do better in that era) there like what differentiates the decision to remove License shortcut, either in GT3 or GT7? Or even the ones that are worse than current GT7, and regardless of which era it is implemented in, like GT4's UI/UX.
or the opposite which is what you're doing at this very moment saying that none of the games were good, and letting your views on the series now color your view on the older games.
What is the reason to like the older games then? Actually I was always struggling to find what's so appealing about GT before said 'views on the series now', without feeling like I'm just being an apologist, because everything about GT, the older ones too (features deemed as only useless nostalgia like wanting older tracks), is a target of bashing here, which indicates nothing about GT is good and worth praising, and in truth I can always see why it's like that (compared to me struggling to find what's appealing about GT).

Last edited:
PS5 stock levels continue to improve in the UK. Hopefully the same across the rest of Europe too.

‘Last week's No.1, Horizon Forbidden West, drops to No.2 this week after a 33% slide in sales. The game continues to sell strongly alongside PS5 hardware. The highest riser this week is also a PS5 game: Gran Turismo 7, which is up five places to No.5 after a 109% sales bump.’

GT7 ranked No.4 & No.8 respectively in EU & US PSN charts for April. The titles second full month on sale.

GT7 ranked No.7 in the full European multi-platform charts for April. This includes physical & digital sales.

This is before the recently announced bundles BTW. Performance is very good and shows these games would've been reaching stratospheric numbers if there were more PS5s on the market.

But still selling less than a Lego game. I highly doubt those are huge numbers overall at this point.
This seems like an odd thing to say. The Lego game is a multi-platform game that sold over 3 million units in its first 2 weeks, making it the biggest selling Lego game launch. The biggest selling overall Lego game has sold over 12 million units.

But still selling less than a Lego game. I highly doubt those are huge numbers overall at this point.
That Lego game is the biggest selling edition in the history of the franchise. It’s also multiplat and available on PlayStation, Xbox, Switch. Elden Ring is the biggest game of the year, and multiplat to boot, but is no longer in the top 10.

As GamesIndustry notes, HFW continues to sell well, alongside new PS5 hardware. In the UK & EU GT7 has been selling on par, if not better, than HFW. It’s worth pointing out the prequel, HZD, had sold over 20m by last February.

Right now everyone should be hoping more PS5 hardware hits the shelves. As there’s clearly pent up demand. With many people holding out purchasing cross-gen titles until they pick up a PS5.

Last edited:
GT7 was No.9 in All Formats US NPD for May. This follows on from No.9 in April & No.2 in March. On PlayStation platforms GT7 was No.5.

YTD GT7 is the No.7 best selling title on the All Formats chart.

Click on thread below to see all charts.

Last edited:
Didn't you claim GT7 was selling more than Horizon?

Also worth noting that is based on $ revenue, not until sales.

Didn't you claim GT7 was selling more than Horizon?

Also worth noting that is based on $ revenue, not until sales.
GT7 has been consistently outselling HFW in Europe & Asia launch aligned. Europe is GT’s biggest market.

You can expect a GT7 bundle and the start of retailer discounting in the next few months. This will have a significant impact on sales. HFW bundles hit shelves 3-4 weeks ago. That title released in February.

Last edited:
GT7 has been consistently outselling HFW in Europe & Asia launch aligned. Europe is GT’s biggest market.

You can expect a GT7 bundle and the start of retailer discounting in the next few months. This will have a significant impact on sales. HFW bundles hit shelves 3-4 weeks ago. That title released in February.
GT7 was the 7th best selling title (All Formats) in Europe for the first 6 months of the year.

Ha. Nice edit to change the first post to add "& Asia" when you realised you were wrong about it beating it in just Europe.

So where are the Asian figures?

Last edited:
Ha. Nice edit to change the first post to add "& Asia" when you realised you were wrong about it beating it in just Europe.

So where are the Asian figures?
You should be more observant. Asia has always been in the post. Just as it remains correct GT7 has been outperforming HFW in much of Europe launch aligned.

If you want the full picture. HFW has become the official PS5 bundle in the last 3-4 weeks. So, obviously, is benefiting from that. Just as GT7 will do so when it’s bundled.

I don’t understand this nitpicking with official sales data. To see GT7 duking it out with HFW should give every GT fan encouragement. This is a sequel to a title that has surpassed 20m units.

As I’ve always made clear. I believe GT7 will have very long legs given we’re only a few years into the gen.

Some official sales data from Sony.

FY21 Q4 Results (Jan 1st to Mar 31st)

14.5m First Party Software Sold

FY22 Q1 Results (Apr 1st to Jun 30th)

6.4m First Party Software Sold

These two quarters cover the period when Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Forbidden West, MLB: The Show 22 where the new PlayStation First Party releases.

A little more context for player numbers.

Lego Star Wars, which has been charting very similar to GT7 & HFW, and had a similar launch window. Announced 5m players (all formats) by mid-June. The title wasn’t on any service like PS+.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 Was The Second-Best Selling Game in March 2022

According to official chart data from around the globe, Gran Turismo 7 was the second-best selling game globally in March 2022...
I noted that in the first half of the year GT7 was ranked 7th best seller across all formats Both digital and physical sales included. Elden Ring was top of the pile

overall the games market year on year has had a 10% decline on games sold and 11% on accessories hardware etc

GT7 was #16 in EU PSN (PS5) charts for July. That’s the highest placing for a Sony 1st Party title. Although HFW is the predominant bundle in EU. Lots of sale titles placing well.

For August GT7 is part of the PSN sale in all territories. So we’ll see how that goes.

The game being sold a lot means nothing about it's quality.

The sales were down to the hype it was created about the game (1st GT main title after 9 years and a game that according to it's creator, would go back to its "origins2) and also due to the loyal fanbase GT has.
And also, quite clearly, based on the reviews where people didn't show not nearly enough of its flaws (and where the MTXs were not shown by PD, lol).

This can change a lot in the coming months.

But I personally think this game will come to a time where it really is great. Its just that you need to wait maybe one year post-launch for the game to have most of its fixes and a lot, a looooooooooooot more content added.

The content for me is what is killing this game. Or maybe it's my fault that I'm not "bad enough" to struggle multiple hours on the tests or missions, which gives you the impression that it takes a lot of time to complete the game's events for a lot of people.

Bring back Hamilton DLC and Vettel Red Bull Challenge levels of difficulties please?
I've honestly been surprised at how many updates the game has received. Granted it's not exactly Dying Light, but the updates with tracks, cars, and fixes has been pleasant to see

GT7 spent a second week at #5 in the UK charts. PS5 stock is coming in big time now so all PS5 software doing well. Particularly 1st Party which is often bundled.

The previous week new PS5 stock saw GT7 sales jump 32%. Taking it from #13 to #5.

In Japan for the month of July GT7 was #9 after promotions and new PS5 stock. It was the only PS5 title in the top 30.

US NPD data.

GT7 was the #8 ranked PlayStation title (covering PS5 & PS4) by revenue in July. GT7 remains the #7 ranked title by revenue across all formats for 2022.

In Japan GT7 was ranked #9 for period covering August 1st-14th. Selling 17,153 on PS5 (total 157,041). No recent data on PS4 sku. At launch PS4 accounted for 47% of sales.

Last edited:
Back