Gran Turismo 7 Will Allow You to Import Liveries and Decals from GT Sport

• Thread starter Famine
  • 202 comments
"players had created 51 million liveries compared to only taking 33 million photographs, despite livery creation being a more labor-intensive task"
No wonder they added so many scapes for gt7,33 million seems like an absurd number
I’d contest that claim.

Most of those liveries are probably a paint job and or wheels. That’s easier than taking a photo that’s not blurry imo.

I’d contest that claim.

Most of those liveries are probably a paint job and or wheels. That’s easier than taking a photo that’s not blurry imo.
As someone that enjoys photographing real race cars, I'd say taking a photo of a car that's not blurry in GTS is an absolute piece of cake!

It might explain why there's more liveries than photos though, but take both activities at their simplest and both require zero effort. Take them at their most complex, and I doubt people are spending weeks over generating one photo... If you're doing a complex livery and making all the decals it can take hours, days or weeks. I appreciate the different skills required, but I would agree livery creation is generally a more labour intensive task.

As someone that enjoys photographing real race cars, I'd say taking a photo of a car that's not blurry in GTS is an absolute piece of cake!

It might explain why there's more liveries than photos though, but take both activities at their simplest and both require zero effort. Take them at their most complex, and I doubt people are spending weeks over generating one photo... If you're doing a complex livery and making all the decals it can take hours, days or weeks. I appreciate the different skills required, but I would agree livery creation is generally a more labour intensive task.
It’s a piece a cake to you (and to me). Now go to the galleries and see how many out of focus shots you see. I’ve seen lots of them, including here on GTplanet. It’s easier to paint a car imo.

I’m talking about the easiest ways of doing both. Also most people don’t care about photomode but they sure like to drive their cars in their favourite colors. That’s why there are more liveries than photos.

Last edited:
As a decal creator/uploader I am glad to see we can port them over. But I wonder if the stats will carry over to GT7? I'd hate to lose all my comments and likes I've gathered on them.

Same thing goes for liveries too.

Thing is, I put a lot of effort into uploading and creating decals for the otherwise niche liveries. I mean someone has too fill that void and seeing people hit the like icon and repost them gives me joy in knowing that other people like them. Without chasing the 'clout' as @Nuschel01 said I'd have little incentive to bother sharing the decals publically for others to use in GT. You can call me vapid if you'd like but I know many out there feel and think this way even if they're not the most vocal of groups.

Here's what I do agree with though, I agree that PD should remove the achievements/trophies tied to them as to avoid superficial likes. And being able to see when someone has used it on a livery, and possibly even be linked somehow to that livery would be a nice addition. Can't tell you how many times I've seen someone use my content but I was never notified of such usage. It would be cool to be notified so I can check out their work and possibly give it a like and repost in return if I happened to enjoy what they created.
I think I'm a big uploader too over my 4 profiles.

I had chances to some liveries/stickers to reach over 3 or 4000 likes for one creation, and yes, it's a lot of effort. And I'm glad to upload them into GT7.

But I'm disagree to keep "likes". A new game, new players will come to create, everybody has his chance.
My point of view: when you will add your GTSport liveries/stickers, you will have a relative big base of creation to share, people will like to have some decals soon as possible.

You have to take some distance with your work, you like your creation, but when you upload it, you never know how it will going.
An example: one of my highest "liked" livery is a test livery, whose is over 3000 likes, and didn't manage to share. In the other side, a hundred of other liveries, where I put a lot of time, are under 100 likes. But the pleasure to create, and to share it :)

Last edited:
A simple thing I would like to see implemented in GT7 is when searching for specific items (decals, etc.) in discovery, they could put like say the last 20-30 items uploaded on each page. It sucks to have to skip through pages with zero content to find what you're looking for. I use GTwiki also, but sometimes it shows 2000+ results when searching simple words.

Also, it would help if everyone didn't share cars with just different paint and wheels on it. However, I think we will probably see more than ever now with all the aero parts that can be added. I usually put quite a bit of time in creating a livery including searching for decals and making them fit the livery. I haven't shared most of them because I usually personalize them with my name and emblem. But lately I've been making two versions, one to use and one to share. I will continue doing this in GT7 so more people can use them. Thanks to all the decal creators for their time and effort.

Given how superb the quality of designs are from the community this is tremendous news indeed, im delighted I can salvage some of my own naive creations... might be a while before I can grind enough credits to see my P4 faves lol
With a bit of luck the process of creating and uploading will have been refined so that this aspect of the community really thrives, air brush and stencils would be nice, perhaps some touch pad pinstriping? Now the vehicles can be stretched and have bodywork modifications too... What's the upper limit with liveries / mods a virtual SEMA show perhaps?

I’d contest that claim.

Oh yeah I hope they separate rims and just a complete paint job from the actual livery editor.
Changing the color of a car is such a hassle lol.

If that's all Kaz said, I don't really see how we came to the conclusion we can edit our old liveries.
Didn't finish the article?

We raised the question with Yamauchi during a round-table Q&A session supporting today’s State of Play event, and the response was great news for the livery creators out there.

“Yes,” said Yamauchi, “you will be able to migrate those things from GT Sport to GT7 .”

Didn't finish the article?

We raised the question with Yamauchi during a round-table Q&A session supporting today’s State of Play event, and the response was great news for the livery creators out there.

“Yes,” said Yamauchi, “you will be able to migrate those things from GT Sport to GT7 .”
It could just mean that shared liveries (and decals) can be used in GT7. That we can go back to tweak liveries is an assumption (again, if there aren't further comments on the matter and/or translation shenanigans)

Gt7 is shaping up to be even better then anticipated.

Now as somebody already said, is it, how this will be implemented.

Is it all or is it none? because there's a lot of garbage amongst those liveries of mine lol.
I only need to upload 2-300.

It could just mean that shared liveries (and decals) can be used in GT7. That we can go back to tweak liveries is an assumption (again, if there aren't further comments on the matter and/or translation shenanigans)

If you can import your decals and paints, what do you mean with 'go back and tweak liveries'. Why would you go back to GTS to edit liveries?
You can most probably do it in GT7.

If you can import your decals and paints, what do you mean with 'go back and tweak liveries'. Why would you go back to GTS to edit liveries?
You can most probably do it in GT7.
I wasn't talking about tweaking old liveries in GTS, but in GT7, as the article says in the following paragraph. But I must have misunderstood what they meant.

Last edited:
I have to agree, it might be an assumption.

I don't know if it's meaningful but I created a livery in GT Sport bêta at the time, then I actually had it in GT Sport, but it was impossible to do any change on it...

I have to agree, it might be an assumption.

I don't know if it's meaningful but I created a livery in GT Sport bêta at the time, then I actually had it in GT Sport, but it was impossible to do any change on it...
Ironically I was probably wrong with my own assumption. The use of "tweak" in that paragraph made me think we could tweak old liveries. I'm probably derailing the thread, carry on

I'm veeeeery happy to hear this!!! Would have hated to have lost all my GT Sport liveries that I worked hours and hours on.
Wondering if you'll be able to still edit them though.

Begs the question how long GT sport will remain online for. My guess is 6 months, but who knows.
I'm not taking any chances and I'm determined to get the GT Sport platinum before GT7 releases. I'm 3/4th of the way to 49, than just about 50 more times of BMB and I got it. Most exciting races ever /s :yuck:

Last edited:
Wondering if you'll be able to still edit them though.

I think you will. The files you upload when you "finish" a livery, which are the ones used if you "share" a livery, are certain to be usable in GT7. The files you work on in the livery editor I think are different, and form part of your save game... these are the ones you'll need to be able to edit the livery. These files must exist on the servers I believe, for instance, when I moved to playing GTS on the PS5, I didn't have to do anything, they were still there on the new console to edit... along with the rest of my save game. So the system must allow for moving the data up and down from the servers, provided you keep the same PSN account.

At the least, PDi should give more prominence to the countless creations, some very artistic.
It happened to me (and I became a fan) and anyone who plays GTSport for the first time, check the design creator, and it goes from each one's creativity, just painting the car and putting on some rims, or presenting a design that appeals to us.
I hope the information button in the center changes places, at max zoom it gets in the way of the decals hits. And that the color scale has not disappeared. Good and better resources are welcome.

I wonder how the visual customization parts are going to affect this. Would the livery be locked only to cars who use the exact same parts?

I think over 30 hours of my time went into just this one Jaguar:

F1C2DFDD-4A25-4B76-A716-5E32A86EF139.jpeg

7D53E381-F9F0-4DA1-BA07-0D23D93C5305.jpeg

E8ECAA6B-4236-4745-BB47-DE434FE85667.jpeg

170A64E7-0E12-4ED3-9085-765E1C6D57A0.jpeg

And all of these collectively probably add up to over 100:

55EDEC39-CC9B-4D42-980E-ADD1508FFF33.jpeg

3BC47611-C646-470A-B595-6482C9CEFA9D.jpeg

400B58AF-7F90-4BA5-8499-0D694DBB3F14.jpeg

5E986FAA-9DA9-498A-AAB7-112286FFEB52.jpeg

0C0C6167-7A1D-4255-830D-685F823F82ED.jpeg

I have to have logged over 300 hours making liveries, several of which individually clocked in double digits due to the amount of detail I tried to put in. I’m really glad to know I won’t lose all of these to cyberspace.

4B644F12-414F-48E8-AC85-FA90677BD6B5.jpeg

62F242BA-26E2-46FB-B537-43530CFDBEEF.jpeg

38FA75F8-01BE-4A58-A0B9-0E6235A05FDC.jpeg

4A42E27A-CED5-4F65-880A-C67DDD3C805A.jpeg

89C01D4E-39FA-4FEB-9FFE-19F5371C0BD7.jpeg

F915D993-487C-4E82-9AF1-3A9E291AF4FD.jpeg

E8C3088E-B34A-4198-A817-0F78E718EA9F.jpeg

2FA0D5A2-5798-44BD-BC11-538966ACAAC9.jpeg

5D76B0B9-EEFA-45C6-9202-FE6D7174C32A.jpeg

E34895A2-4879-403D-91D9-821E0C376E31.jpeg

9BB0E751-FCBD-489E-B9F4-79D8B1A40F77.jpeg

(These are just a fraction of my creations, but probably the ones I’d hate to lose the most)

I wonder how the visual customization parts are going to affect this. Would the livery be locked only to cars who use the exact same parts?
Im guessing at the point you change the surface you will have to re-apply / stretch your SVG stickers as they would distort over a different framework. I wonder if the existing stickers appear but are stretched from their original geometry or its a complete new surface do over? This might not be as bad as it first seems if the interface has improved, hopefully you continue were you left off and edit far quicker and easier with better quality too.

Im guessing at the point you change the surface you will have to re-apply / stretch your SVG stickers as they would distort over a different framework. I wonder if the existing stickers appear but are stretched from their original geometry or its a complete new surface do over? This might not be as bad as it first seems if the interface has improved, hopefully you continue were you left off and edit far quicker and easier with better quality too.

In NFS Heat you can apply liveries to other cars which the livery was made for. You almost had to redo every single decal to get things right.
Especially if there is no way to select multiple decals at once like in GTS, i don't see any added value in it.

In NFS Heat you can apply liveries to other cars which the livery was made for. You almost had to redo every single decal to get things right.
Especially if there is no way to select multiple decals at once like in GTS, i don't see any added value in it.
Unless it's for cars like the 2015/2016 Clio, the M6 GT3s, the different engined SF19s, the 1997/1998 Civic Type-R, regular/Shigeno Trueno, regular/dirty 2011 R18 though...

Back