Gran Turismo 7 Will Be More Like Classic GT Titles, Says Kazunori Yamauchi

This Nicki Thiim?

Just because drivers use a certain platform, doesn't mean they think the driving experience is realistic.

But he had a completely different opinion of ACC and their tire model after the update last summer.
Praised it and the way the Aston drove as compared to his real life Aston GT3 RACE CAR very highly actually.
Actually prefer a real driver to be honest as it improves the game if the studio listens. Thiim did not like the original tire model on ACC and ACC took his feedback and improved the tire model within the game.
They have even done other improvements to the tire model since last summer. They actually made some in the wet tire model in the update just released yesterday.

I have an iRacing subscription as well and I am not a pro Racer but I do not care a whole lot for iRacing's tire model either. There are a few others that do better in my opinion.

But iRacing is working on improving theirs as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess it depends on what you rate as a success, to me GTS promoting the e-sport aspect as its primary focus and so very few players doing what was it like 7 or 8 total races is not a success of what your goal was.

Out of those total sales how many people are still playing the game at all or how many bought the GT Sport game and as a result of their experience with that game and its content or game play may never buy the franchise again?
Again ACC is a small studio with 25 employees so what a small studio can consider a major success a large well financed studio like Polyphony may consider a total loss.

I would tend to guess from online reviews and average public opinion that ACC and its games reputation for gameplay and really good content in the arena they advertise to be in is definately on an upward positive swing from what they have released over the last couple of years.
I am not sure I would make that same claim as to what GT Sport has released as to the non fanboy of the opinion of the franchise over the last few years of the game.

But again the bar for success may well be different, one one side the size of the studio and a payroll of over 170 employees and the overhead associated with a studio that size and actually a reputation of a top shelf game that spans decades that in my opinion the latest content is failing to meet those expectations for many people.

And the bar for a small studio who has just recently grown to 25 employees and only released their first game less than 7 years ago and both of their releases have done well and they are quickly becoming one of the major players in the racing sim world. I would rank that a major win in the success world and with a lower overhead and a growing fan base who knows what or where their limit and success may peak.
I'm considering your use of the term success as in, will GT7 only be successful if it up's the physics to a level where it will be considered the very best? That's ultimately what you said eariler and the obvious answer is that's fales. Success is based on commerical factors, it always is. A small team can make a great game but it can fail due to poor marketing or other reasons, that's not a success. I'm not making this a measuring contest between GranTurismo and ACC, Gran Turismo trumps ACC when it comes to sales, but yes it has a higher budget behind it. But Gran Turismo is undeniably a success regardless of what you think it needs to do to be one.

Actually by far iRacing sports the most big name top tier series actual racers.
But there are a few actual Blancain GT3 drivers who have been known to participate in ACC events and races. N. Thiim and D. Perel are well known to have done so.
As far as real world top tier circuit racers who has competed in GTS events that were not being paid to do so?
Again, this is not a member measuring contest between Gran Turismo and iRacing, you implied Gran Turismo is only for beginners yet GT Sports own eSports competition has people competing far, far beyond the level of skill I could hope for and I'm no beginner. Stop confusing what you want with what the situation is and what it needs to be.

There is nothing wrong with wanting GT7 to have more realistic physics, there's nothing wrong with wanting it to par down it's content and be more focused. I might dissagree for reasons previousely provided, but there's nothing wrong with you personally wanting that. But to state that it is only for beginners, it is falling further behind and that it needs to do what you want to be a success is just plain wrong. That's just what you want, not a barometer for the games actuall standing or success.

Like I've said before, it has it's flaws, it certainly could benefit from improvements in a few areas, but it's never occupied that top tier sim place, never. It's also never been unsuccessful, GT Sport sales numbers prove that continues to be the case and there are people extremely experienced in not just sim racing but real world driving and racing who enjoy Gran Turismo, so it's not just a game for beginners either.

You might try twising the argument to "ah well, my definition of success is...." but that's not tangiable, that's not measurable. Game successes ultimately come down to thier popularity and sales, that's measurable and that is what will determine if a studio get's to keep making that game or not. Not, well it simulated this really really well.

Last edited:
If you want a 100% realistic, uncompromised driving experience, do not buy Gran Turismo. It's that simple. I don't want it to be a full on simulator, and it will never be one so if you're here to bash this game senseless because of that, you're in the wrong forum. The people I play with are not beginners, and neither am I so no, Gran Turismo is NOT reserved for beginners.
We said the offline single player game was, not all of it. Of course online is highly competitive, but which parts of GTS single player are suited for anything other than beginners? Everything is incredibly easy.

That's not true of 1995 either, there have always been more realistic racing sims than Gran Turismo, Gran Turismo wasn't even unique in that is aspired to appear realistic and it was on consoles. It was not alone in this regard though, titles like the original TOCA preceded it.

:lol:
I remember TOCA as being an absolute bastard of a game when growing up. Literally reducing kids to tears with its brutal realism and unforgiving AI.

Gran Turismo was considerably easier to get to grips with (maybe due to the licence tests?), but the difficulty did tend to ramp up later into the game.
I also find this to be the case with GT Sport (in particular the X2019 Competition Endurance Series).

To be brutally honest some of the negative comments here sound like celestial beings from the 'PC Master Race'. I strongly suggest these people stick to there ACC/iRacing style formats which by all accounts is what they prefer anyway. You cannot compare a PC version of a game to console-only release... :rolleyes:

It just so happens as a matter of fact that GT Sport has sold very well, has an ever growing user-base and online community (which PD have been pretty good in providing support/updates etc), and in terms of where the series was heading (after GT5 & GT6) has made a really convincing turn around in fortune and popularity.

Obviously there is room for improvement, but let GT be GT. If you cant bare the 'prehistoric' AI of GT then don't play. Simple.
I'm guessing one of the reasons GT is so popular may be due its play-ability??? Tell you what, you keep ACC for the real authentic driving sim experience, and i'll stick with GT for reasons stated above and its online community.

P.S
Please don't compare the GT franchise to anything secreted by EA.

Oh sorry, I should've added "in my opinion"
Saying something dumb and putting "in my opinion" in front of it doesn't make it not dumb. The racing genre did not start with the GT-style progression system, the genre did not enslave itself to the GT-style progression system even when GT was at its influential peak during the PS2 era and there were a flood of GT-ish games on the market, and the genre has more or less receded back from the GT-style progression system since then.

Last edited:
I just think it’s funny how this is pretty much what people have been asking for (many still believe GT4 is the peak and wanted a direct sequel from that) but somehow it’s been twisted into a negative

Have you got the numbers? I don't doubt for a second that many people do want a return to GT4 with a 4K lick of paint, but how many? Thousands? Millions? Of course neither you or I know, it's all anecdotal. We can only truly speak for ourselves and ourselves alone, not others. And for me, yes, releasing a near carbon copy of a game from 17 years ago certainly would be a negative.

But of course at this stage it's impossible to actually know whether that is what they're doing or not, we still need to wait and see just how much is old and how much is new. This statement so far is pretty vague.

GT3 and GT4 feel, weather and night/day transitions, and body kits and wheels.

I think the ending for GT3 says everything: I wonder if I'll ever see this game again.

What I would do:

Career Structure
[...]

- Option to create teams, with liveries and sponsors applied to all your cars. Everything you do in game (offline or online) contributes to the team XP/rank (see Driveclub).

[...]

I'm sure I missed a few things here and there, but that's it for the moment. Give yourself a pat on the back if you read all that :lol:
Good things in general listed there but this one stuck out to me, that would be absolutely fantastic in GT7!

There are already tons of teams around that would benefit from something like this and I’m sure it could be worked out with statistics and leaderboards in a lovely way where it would serve its' purpose very well for both super serious World Tour type level players as well as casuals, friends and everything in between.

GT3 and GT4 feel, weather and night/day transitions, and body kits and wheels.

I think the ending for GT3 says everything: I wonder if I'll ever see this game again.

Interesting, as I seen in GT7 trailer maybe track temperature and humidity could be an appearance as well in the (porsche carerra gauge), with what you listed. That would be really cool

Last edited:
Makes me wonder what kind of participation stats PD received from the GT6 Quick Race mode.

It would be hard to believe they would go ‘all in’ on a concept with anemic user activity.
As in 83% of everyone who has ever played GTS have NEVER done a Sport Race. The actual mode the whole game is meant to be built around. Hell, that site said I'd done some when I hadn't. It was counting the beta races that I did do.

As in 83% of everyone who has ever played GTS have NEVER done a Sport Race. The actual mode the whole game is meant to be built around. Hell, that site said I'd done some when I hadn't. It was counting the beta races that I did do.
It's even more damning when you see that the half-baked campaign mode has SIGNIFICANTLY more players... I wish there were also stats showing use of Open Lobbies aswell, my guess is it wouldn't be far off from the campaign numbers.

People obviously have a craving for a new GT Mode, and it makes absolute perfect sense why GT7 "Will Be More Like Classic GT Titles".

Last edited:
I'd say that is because GT has always been a one player solo game. Trying to tack on online, apart from taking development time out of GT-mode, relies on players being competitively minded. Which appears to be a minority. Maybe

There's also many players like me that don't have the time to commit to online play. Outside of a couple of the daily time trials, and like 2 endurance races, I haven't really done much with online I just don't get the time to do so that often. It makes sense for players like me to be more attuned with the single player modes as they are easier to pick up and play.

They can add the CarPG elements back but the offline racing sucks and its the same events and format for the last 20 years. It is stale and its not hard to try something different with the same assets, PD just have no imagination or ambition to try anything that Gt4 didnt

Last edited:
They can add the CarPG elements back but the offline racing sucks and its the same events and format for the last 20 years. It is stale and its not hard to try something different with the same assets, PD just have no imagination or ambition to try anything that Gt4 didnt
TBH, as long as they bring back an expanded version of 'Online CarPG' that GT5 had and improve open lobby settings, I'll be happy on the online front.

As for singleplayer, faster AI with as little rubberbanding is what is needed. If its like GT Sport, its a failiure. Period.

Beyond just that, I think having the option for Co-Op, and maybe even online matchmaking for A-Spec races/championships would be a fun feature to spice things up. As long as the vehicle regulations are strict enough to keep it fair, and not so strict to the point its not longer fun, I think it would be really awesome.

...And if we are getting 24hr endurance races, hopefully we can finally get online driver swaps.

TBH, as long as they bring back an expanded version of 'Online CarPG' that GT5 had and improve open lobby settings, I'll be happy on the online front.

As for singleplayer, faster AI with as little rubberbanding is what is needed. If its like GT Sport, its a failiure. Period.

Beyond just that, I think having the option for Co-Op, and maybe even online matchmaking for A-Spec races/championships would be a fun feature to spice things up. As long as the vehicle regulations are strict enough to keep it fair, and not so strict to the point its not longer fun, I think it would be really awesome.

...And if we are getting 24hr endurance races, hopefully we can finally get online driver swaps.
They need prepackaged selections for lobbies so people can pick up and play

This is one of the reasons shuffle mode did so well- on top of it being an equaliser for people of different skill levels it was very hard for a host who didn't know what they were doing to screw it up

Last edited:
They need prepackaged selections for lobbies so people can pick up and play

This is one of the reasons shuffle mode did so well- it was very hard for a host who didn't know what they were doing to screw it up
I loved Shuffle mode for the reason you listed, but Open Lobbies were so great in GT5 and GT6 because they were basically a petrolheads sandbox mode. You could decide to setup fair races against your friends with any cars you wanted, thanks to how good those lobby tools were in previous games.

If anything, maybe 'Quick races'/Seasonal Events need to make a return (maybe a hybrid of the two), so we can have a prepackaged set of more lighthearted races outside Sport mode, with no ranking. I'd participate in that, if it meant the possibility of having quick races with lots of players, and if they were fun. Preferably no Gr. class cars.

Last edited:
I loved Shuffle mode for the reason you listed, but Open Lobbies were so great in GT5 and GT6 because they were basically a petrolheads sandbox mode. You could decide to setup fair races against your friends with any cars you wanted, thanks to how good those lobby tools were in previous games.

If anything, maybe 'Quick races'/Seasonal Events need to make a return (maybe a hybrid of the two), so we can have a prepackaged set of more lighthearted races outside Sport mode, with no ranking. I'd participate in that, if it meant the possibility of having quick races with lots of players, and if they were fun. Preferably no Gr. class cars.
Agreed- to clarify, players need the freedom to customise it as much as they want, there just needs to be options for the less hardcore as well.

Allowing us access to parts of GTS through Gran Turismo's website has been very convenient, but what I think PD should do next is create an app for Gran Turismo 7.

I need to access my replays from such an app. If I can share the replays the same as sharing anything else from GTS, I should be able to watch my replays like a streaming service.

I hope to see the old tracks in GT7, Trial Mountain, Autumn Ring, Deep Forest, they are just some of the unforgettable tracks. I will never understand why they deleted from GT Sport.

Back