Gran Turismo 7 Wins PlayStation Blog's Best Sports Game for 2022 in Public Poll

• Thread starter Famine
  • 40 comments
That's...a bit surprising.
Two awards in the launch year,not bad for a game that had it's servers shutdown for a few days and drama about Mtx

There must have been only 4 multiplayer games if GT7 came in 4th in the multiplayer category (side note - 4th is not bronze).

I mean, Playstation exclusive beats out third party games on Playstation official blog isn't particularly surprising.
Playstation awards itself an award? :lol: Congrats I guess
It was open to a fully public vote - no login required - for a week.

I picked Stray for pretty much everything.

There must have been only 4 multiplayer games if GT7 came in 4th in the multiplayer category
There were eleven and, as with every other category, a write-in option.

For reference they were Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, Deep Rock Galactic, Dying Light 2 Stay Human, FIFA 23, Gotham Knights, Gran Turismo 7, King of Fighters XV, Overwatch 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenge, The Quarry, and Windjammers 2.

There were eleven and, as with every other category, a write-in option.

For reference they were Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, Deep Rock Galactic, Dying Light 2 Stay Human, FIFA 23, Gotham Knights, Gran Turismo 7, King of Fighters XV, Overwatch 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenge, The Quarry, and Windjammers 2.
That is rather telling about what the state of multiplayer play is.

Gran Turismo 7 and Forza Motorsport Reboot's handling models are still far more realistic than GRID Autosport and Gear.Club Unlimited 1 & 2 for Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:
Here comes the people saying it doesn't deserve it lol
Given so many of the choices it competed with are not exactly "Game of the Year" Material (Especially ANYTHING EA publishes nowadays, with the odd exception here or there), I feel its more of a "Ok, sure I guess" if anything.

I'm not surprised considering the competition. It's the same ones from the game awards weren't they?
Swear it feels exactly like the same choices. I definately can't say Sony payed for this if this was public voting, I mean who needs to when its just EA's "Slap a new name for the same product" that people Love :lol:

I think people are forgetting that GT7 was very well receive by critics and had a good launch sales wise.Maybe that view stayed and the server/low event payout/mtx drama didn't quite reach as far as we thought?
That's probably sort of true. The reality is that it's not a bad game, it's just not an incredible one. It's up against some pretty limp competition, and it seems like being a "pretty good if you like that sort of thing" game is enough to take top place this year. That's fine, and if nothing else it's nice that all the people on the ground floor who did the hard work to get GT7 to this stage get to have their efforts recognised. There's tons of artists and animators and engineers who did extraordinary work to make a game that is fundamentally so capable, and this gives them something nice to put on their CV.

Best Sport games ?

I play both GT7 and F1 2022. And well, in terms of sport : F1 2022 is in front, by far

I don't play both games for the same reason, but if I want to do a championship, a online race or a league : F1 2022 is the game I play.

Congrats PD, I'm happy for them tbf

But it's really strange that GT7 ended up in front of NBA 2k3 for example which I understand is the best basket ball game ever made

Is grinding a sport ? (joke)

That's probably sort of true. The reality is that it's not a bad game, it's just not an incredible one. It's up against some pretty limp competition, and it seems like being a "pretty good if you like that sort of thing" game is enough to take top place this year. That's fine, and if nothing else it's nice that all the people on the ground floor who did the hard work to get GT7 to this stage get to have their efforts recognised. There's tons of artists and animators and engineers who did extraordinary work to make a game that is fundamentally so capable, and this gives them something nice to put on their CV.
THIS. I think many people have no idea how much work is behind a game like GT7.
I consider it despite everything a great game with which I have already played 400 hours and deserves the awards obtained

I think people are forgetting that GT7 was very well receive by critics and had a good launch sales wise.Maybe that view stayed and the server/low event payout/mtx drama didn't quite reach as far as we thought?
Review copies of the game before launch didn’t have microtransactions enabled, so I’m sure that played a big factor. I think those critic reviews would be quite different if they were there from the start.

Last edited:
Game awards are given out based on how popular the game is, rather than on true merit. Its completely pointless, and meaningless, and I never take it seriously - no one should.

Compare it to film awards. 90 minute film is out, everyone can consume it, on their phone, tv, cinema, and thats it.

Consume all of GT7, an ever evolving (albeit slowly) racing game... where most reviewers saw "Great graphics, there are cars, oh and tracks.. 10/10!" - and also put the time into every single other racing/sports game launched this year?

Oscar nominations for best - insert category - are usually films that werent popular at all.

Game awards are given out based on how popular the game is, rather than on true merit. Its completely pointless, and meaningless, and I never take it seriously - no one should.

Compare it to film awards. 90 minute film is out, everyone can consume it, on their phone, tv, cinema, and thats it.

Consume all of GT7, an ever evolving (albeit slowly) racing game... where most reviewers saw "Great graphics, there are cars, oh and tracks.. 10/10!" - and also put the time into every single other racing/sports game launched this year?

Oscar nominations for best - insert category - are usually films that werent popular at all.

Surely, you don't think film awards in general are any more honest?

Last edited:
They are more honest than Game Awards, 100%. Look at the last 2 decades for Best Picture winners, and tell me how many of them won purely off hype and/or box office takings?

Yeah I agree. Guess OP point was that not everyone that plays can play GT7 but everyone that watches movies can watch on any device giving more reach and ultimately a strong reason on why that movie got an award. However, I do think its flawed because it's just opinions really. Looking at percentage of active users, etc, would be cool to compare between games like how they compare between box office numbers

GTP users obviously not consulted :lol:
Many people read GTP and consult the forum for info, tunes, guides and so on.

A smaller proportion actually post, at least on a regular basis. On even the most contentious issue, most posts are made by a dozen or so members. There seems to quite a different line-up of posters in news threads vs. game activity threads.
Review copies of the game before launch didn’t have microtransactions enabled, so I’m sure that played a big factor. I think those critic reviews would be quite different if they were there from the start.
MTX really had no impact on what reviewers played, just as they have no impact for 99.9% of players. Neither are MTX something reviewers mark down, given most competitive games have them. What could have had an impact was the post game economy changes, something that was reversed within a week or two.
They are more honest than Game Awards, 100%. Look at the last 2 decades for Best Picture winners, and tell me how many of them won purely off hype and/or box office takings?
There are literally hundreds of Game Awards these days, split between public votes and independent outlets. Back in the day magazines where notorious for paid reviews and rewards. Today it's just not worth risking your reputation when there are so many outlets ready to take your place.

Back