Gran Turismo 7's Online Features Will Continue to Evolve, says Kazunori Yamauchi

• Thread starter Famine
  • 186 comments
They rewrote the script side entirely (proprietary Javascript/Python-like language into Swift of all things which implies a custom compiler, for the curious), which is responsible for basically all game logic, which is why many lobby features weren't yet there at launch. What has changed/been rewritten online wise is not related to the multiplayer but more about how the APIs (website, etc) operates.

Engine is mostly unchanged.

Any way you can dumb this down for me? 😂

No, I'm stating that this is the fourth different article we've published from this round-table interview.

If you'd availed yourself of that information before your post berating us for only asking about one thing you wouldn't have made it.

In addition to those four, there were two further questions that didn't generate an answer - one of which was stopped by the Sony handler.

And I wasn't even in the room.
Do you know what was asked in those two questions ?

The Answer given by Kaz are pretty poor, compared with say, your interviews with Kunos, There's no real substance in his answer, He is out of touch with his audience, or just has a fragile ego, He should have over ruled his Sony minder.You get straighter answers out of politicians .

And why would he do that? Sony is effectively his employer, not to mention that they're the ones that have given him the opportunity to make these games for the last 25 years. What good could possibly happen from him saying "**** Sony, I'm gonna go off script and say whatever I want"?
“Justice for Evolution Studios!”

Two days later: Kazunori Yamauchi ousted as Polyphony Digital, Gran Turismo head, announces PlayStation boss Jim Ryan

Kazunori Yamauchi ousted as Polyphony Digital, Gran Turismo head, announces PlayStation boss Jim Ryan
Gonna be a dream come true for some people here. Can't tell you how many times I've seen such a wish on this forum alone.

Even then, it's not exactly a guarantee the GT series is going to get any better.

And why would he do that? Sony is effectively his employer, not to mention that they're the ones that have given him the opportunity to make these games for the last 25 years. What good could possibly happen from him saying "**** Sony, I'm gonna go off script and say whatever I want"?
At the level he is, within the Sony "family" I dont think thats an issue, Why would he need a script, its a video game, not an election campaign.

Last edited:
At the level he is, within the Sony "family" I dont think thats an issue, Why would he need a script, its a video game, not an election campaign.
You're right. Companies absolutely don't spend millions of dollars to have their products perceived in exactly the way that they want them to be. It's not like Sony has entire departments dedicated to presenting their products to customers in the way that they think would make them the most money. People giving interviews to promote products have never bothered to try and craft what they're saying to paint their product in the best light, that would be insane.

It's baffling that you made it to age 48 and are still so oblivious to the world you live in. Please be careful when crossing the roads, they have cars on them and can be quite dangerous.

You're right. Companies absolutely don't spend millions of dollars to have their products perceived in exactly the way that they want them to be. It's not like Sony has entire departments dedicated to presenting their products to customers in the way that they think would make them the most money. People giving interviews to promote products have never bothered to try and craft what they're saying to paint their product in the best light, that would be insane.

It's baffling that you made it to age 48 and are still so oblivious to the world you live in. Please be careful when crossing the roads, they have cars on them and can be quite dangerous.

I'm aware how the world works,

Kaz is a studio head, who has direct access not just to the PlayStation Senior team but other Sony Departments due to there work as a technology developer. In his position the questions he wishes to answer will come from him, not from a Sony PR team, which are more likely just to be his own PR team in the first place.and not sent from Sony.

And people who apologise for those in high positions who will not answer questions are far more dangerous then someone who can't cross a road,

So instead of defending and making excuses a bit of critical thinking, might make the world a better place

Kaz is a studio head, who has direct access not just to the PlayStation Senior team but other Sony Departments due to there work as a technology developer. In his position the questions he wishes to answer will come from him, not from a Sony PR team, which are more likely just to be his own PR team in the first place.and not sent from Sony.

And people who apologise for those in high positions who will not answer questions are far more dangerous then someone who can't cross a road,

So instead of defending and making excuses a bit of critical thinking, might make the world a better place
That's not how the world works.

Kaz is not beyond discipline, he is high up but he is still an employee of Sony and Sony's marketing will decide what can be said and when.

I am fairly high up at an accounting and payroll firm, I have a lot of leeway to manage my team the way I choose as long as it's within a certain framework. What I cannot do is announce new services, tools, prices or offers to clients without a clear "that's ok" from marketing first. In fact, they'll often either ask me to tell them what I intend to say and usually tweak it before giving it the thumbs up, or outright give me the wording themselves first.

I'm not for one second suggesting I am at the same level as Kaz, but I can tell you the same principle applies to our directors who defer marketing and promotional decisons to.... Drum roll.... Marketing.

That's not to say Kaz can never and will never be given moments to speak more freely, but judging from past times where he has, he has over promised and underdelivered whereas expectations would have been lower had he not spoken at all. So if I were in charge of marketing Sony's first party PS games, I would be asking for Kaz to be on a relatively short leash regardless of his position within the organisation.

Last edited:
You say that, and then follow it up with a paragraph that demonstrates the exact opposite. @Dave A has explained perfectly why you're wrong.
You think I'm apologising for Kaz? You must be new here. I'm simply explaining why it's entirely sensible and rational for Kaz, who is by no means a stupid man, to have behaved the way he did in this interview.

Besides, nobody needs to apologise for a grown man choosing not to answer a question in a professional interview. What do you think he is, a naughty boy who needs to be interrogated?
Irony is just something to make fences out of, it would seem.

Besides, nobody needs to apologise for a grown man choosing not to answer a question in a professional interview. What do you think he is, a naughty boy who needs to be interrogated?
monty python messiah GIF

For real though, Kaz has been giving nothing answers in interviews for years. This is not new or surprising.

A better GT Auto where we can see our own cars in the garage instead of that same Porsche and GT86. Actually see the oil being changed or the car being washed. Better immersion and connection to our cars and garage.
I agree. Nothing is less immersive than getting a wide body on a car and watching a bunch of guys pick the car up and “stretch” the fenders while making rubber band noises! Really?! Who exactly is the audience for this stupid animation? A six-year-old?

I agree. Nothing is less immersive than getting a wide body on a car and watching a bunch of guys pick the car up and “stretch” the fenders while making rubber band noises! Really?! Who exactly is the audience for this stupid animation? A six-year-old?
Have you ever thought that children and not just pro players like you play this game?

The legendary cars are said to reflect the real life prices, so is the games whole economy, right?

Well. 400 bucks for an oil change? Nice. What oil are they usin? The blood of japanese virgins?
You also need to use a little imagination in a videogame. They will also replace the filters

Heaven forbid there's anything funny and silly in a video game right? Almost as if the ESRB rating is 'E' for a reason.. 🤔:rolleyes:

Have you ever thought that children and not just pro players like you play this game?

You also need to use a little imagination in a videogame. They will also replace the filters
So when they replace the filter they ought to show a guy pulling out a coffee filter, dumping out the grounds, and placing a new one in, all while a bicycle horn is honking the whole time. That would make about as much sense as the fender thing.
Heaven forbid there's anything funny and silly in a video game right? Almost as if the ESRB rating is 'E' for a reason.. 🤔:rolleyes:
Nothing else in the game is intended to be outright absurd, so I’m not sure why it’s worth defending their weird choice to do one patently ridiculous (and frankly, insulting) graphic that is so out of sync with the rest of the game or any semblance of a “real driving simulator.” It’s weird moments like that in the game that make it seem like they never really had a plan for what was “real” in a “simulation.”

And no, their demographic isn’t six year old kids, nor should it be. It was ostensibly designed as a nostalgia game, and no child is nostalgic for any car. It’s rated E because it doesn’t have violence, sex, drugs, or language, NOT because they were targeting the grade school demographic.

Last edited:
So when they replace the filter they ought to show a guy pulling out a coffee filter, dumping out the grounds, and placing a new one in, all while a bicycle horn is honking the whole time. That would make about as much sense as the fender thing.

Nothing else in the game is intended to be outright absurd, so I’m not sure why it’s worth defending their weird choice to do one patently ridiculous (and frankly, insulting) graphic that is so out of sync with the rest of the game or any semblance of a “real driving simulator.” It’s weird moments like that in the game that make it seem like they never really had a plan for what was “real” in a “simulation.”

And no, their demographic isn’t six year old kids, nor should it be. It was ostensibly designed as a nostalgia game, and no child is nostalgic for any car. It’s rated E because it doesn’t have violence, sex, drugs, or language, NOT because they were targeting the grade school demographic.
For all of the games faults I find the GT Auto animations far from a problem or insulting. The alternative would likely be a screen fade to black and back again. It doesn't bother me either way.

I have started to play forza Motorsport 4 thanks to xenia emulator, a game released in 2011 has a career mode light years ahead of GT7 career, It contains manufacturer events, multiclass events, events for 3, 4,6,8,10,12 cylinder engines, events for citycars, sedans, wagons, suvs , lots of Championship.
GT7 has only a series of single events untied.

@Famine, why gt Planet don't ask about single player mode? Why It's so short and boring? Why you have to repeat the same events again and again and again ? You have only asked about online modes

@Famine, why gt Planet don't ask about single player mode? Why It's so short and boring? Why you have to repeat the same events again and again and again ? You have only asked about online modes
That's been answered several times in this thread. I agree with your first post about FM4, that has a much better career than GT7 does. But on this point, GT Planet had a question cut off, in other words, it was a question PD wouldn't answer. In addition the nature of these interviews is heavily driven by the when and why you are there. It's not an open free for all and it's not a private one on one with Kaz. You get about time for 3 or 4 questions and you want to prepare questions that you think will get answered over ones that will just waste everyone time.

Last edited:
practically kaz only answered comfortable questions with obvious answers, critical questions were blocked.
in the February state of play there was talk of the return of the classic gran turismo mode, but there is no trace of this in the game, the licenses have been reinstated but taking them is useless, the events, apart from the few championships do not require them, at least they shared a road map on the development of the game in 2023, but nothing.

Last edited:
practically kaz only answered comfortable questions with obvious answers, critical questions were blocked.
in the February state of play there was talk of the return of the classic gran turismo mode, but there is no trace of this in the game, the licenses have been reinstated but taking them is useless, the events, apart from the few championships do not require them, at least they shared a road map on the development of the game in 2023, but nothing.
Well no, it's not always up to Kaz what he answers. It's not usually him that will block a question, he is more likely to give a non-answer to a question than to block it. His past record indicates he's actually happy to talk, too much at times, which raises expectation beyond what the games deliver. Just remember, these round table interviews are not a forum for airing grievances or ambushing Kaz, they're controlled events with a number of different parties asking questions, not just GT Planet and they will want to be invited to the next one.

Last edited:
It's probably aimed at the 36-year-old who remembers quirky graphics and animations of games past. Similar reasons for why Gran Turismo retains its esoteric soundtrack. I see some people who say they turn menu music off after one listen. But it's charm is how it in beds itself into your head after many listens.

The legendary cars are said to reflect the real life prices, so is the games whole economy, right?

Well. 400 bucks for an oil change? Nice. What oil are they usin? The blood of japanese virgins?
Down the street it's $80 for the works.
Oh but that sound!
Nothing else in the game is intended to be outright absurd
Except the Legendary car prices, the time limits on Circuit Experiences, License test S-10, the penalty system, AI driving, the time it took to implement car selling...etc.

Last edited:
It's probably aimed at the 36-year-old who remembers quirky graphics and animations of games past. Similar reasons for why Gran Turismo retains its esoteric soundtrack. I see some people who say they turn menu music off after one listen. But it's charm is how it in beds itself into your head after many listens.

Do you think Kaz is aware of the issues players are having or do you think he and his team are working in a vacuum?

I just engage with the part of the game you choose to write off.

And that is perfectly fine! I just really think that for 2022, the state of GT is not acceptable.

So why don't you try being appreciative instead of whining and moaning, you are what's wrong with this community...no praise just constant venom and disrespect....if it's so easy to make a great game put your money on the table and tell kaz how to fix it, otherwise just don't play anymore...

I have praised this latest update in a post. Selling cars is a great addition. The way it works is nice, also. In dont think Road Atlanta is a good choice for the next track, BUT its nicely done and a fine addition also. Nothing wrong with the last update, absolutely nothing.

So, to be critical about something, one must be able to do it themselves? No. Have you ever been critical about a Restaurant? Are you an excellent Chef? Or have you ever been critical about politics? How was your last election campaign?

I'm not negative about gt7 and yamauchi because its easy to make a gt game. I am critical about it, because yamauchi HIMSELF has set the standards for GT games. GT5 was, still is, a masterpiece. A lot more cars. A lot more tracks. No major problems half a year after release.

GT Sport was good online racing. Everything was fine. Not perfect, but fine and enjoyable.

And now there is a huge decline in quality AND quantity.

What I think is, that if you're in the same job for 30 years, and get nothing but praise (rightfully so!) - some day you will become lazy. Its human. Happened to Hideo Kojima. 30 years of nearly perfect Metal Gear games and then he delivers Death Stranding, which was complete crap. It was stuffed with Hollywood actors because thats what Kojima is now interested in. Does this sound familiar?

Yamauchi doesnt need to be treated especially nice, protected from critisism. Hes running a company. If something is wrong, he must now that. And something IS wrong indeed.

Back