Gran Turismo Car Models Now Made in Three Months, Outsourced to India

I think in the long run, it will help GT since a larger car roster is welcome (especially with GT Sport's small car selection).
However, Gran Turismo was definitely at the top in terms of car modelling accuracy. Hope outsourcing doesn't lead to lower quality/inconsistent cars like Forza Motorsport has.

So the one thing that GT fans have been holding against Forza for years is now being used by PD, as if it makes financial and practical sense to employ professionals from other places instead of moving them to Japan for in-house work. Hopefully they do the same for tracks, so that we can go back to the richness of content found in GT4 without waiting for decades. But it's funny nonetheless how much negativity was spewed towards outsourcing in the past.

So the one thing that GT fans have been holding against Forza for years is now being used by PD, as if it makes financial and practical sense to employ professionals from other places instead of moving them to Japan for in-house work. Hopefully they do the same for tracks, so that we can go back to the richness of content found in GT4 without waiting for decades. But it's funny nonetheless how much negativity was spewed towards outsourcing in the past.

By some fans, certainly not all. Those of us with logical minds know how sensible and practically required outsourcing is in modern game development.

With Polyphony's recent outsourcing methods, I'm sure GT7 could have a significantly larger car list than expected, hopefully, at best, around 750 at launch.
The thing is when did they start outsourcing to India, did they start at quite a few times ago but only announced now, or they just started the collaboration only now?

I think in the long run, it will help GT since a larger car roster is welcome (especially with GT Sport's small car selection).
However, Gran Turismo was definitely at the top in terms of car modelling accuracy. Hope outsourcing doesn't lead to lower quality/inconsistent cars like Forza Motorsport has.
Lol yeah, we already know the standard/premium car fiasco.

The thing is when did they start outsourcing to India, did they start at quite a few times ago but only announced now, or they just started the collaboration only now?

We aren't as likely to see such a big discrepancy we saw with the standard models from the PS2 and the PS3 models being in the same games in the PS3 era from this outsourcing work. If we do see such a discrepancy it will more likely be a from a reusing of existing assets next to new ones rather than new assets being made notably inferior.

We know that the Tundra came in the 1.40 update which released in June 2019 and this company appears to have modelled the Tundra so given they have stated it takes 3 months to model one car we can extrapolate that PD contracted them on or before March 2019.

It is likely several months earlier than that at least as it's doubtful the car goes immediately from being being finished by Izmo to being included in the game within that 3 month period. There is probably a lot of additional work needed to get the car inserted into the game after the model is finalised, get the physics working and the variables that control the settings and the turning all sorted etc.

And of course all of this is assuming the Tundra is the first car, but the point is we know it's at least since March 2019 that PD must have contracts Izmo. What we don't know is how many models Izmo makes for PD, there's no guarentee that they make 1 or more cars every 3 months or just the odd car here and there, they will be utilised as PD requires them to be.

Last edited:

From the interior modeller's post, it was about a year ago. So, from that point, three months earlier.

2018 was the S660.

If/Since PD were working on Gran Turismo 7 since 2016/2017 and outsourcing
began about 2018, that would give teams about two years to make more cars.

Now, with the S660, Tundra and 993 "previews" to what we can expect from those studios, things are looking good for us players.

I don't know how many cars each studio were assigned for Gran Turismo 7, but supposedly three out of 338 for GT Sport. It would depend on the number of modellers for each studio.
If PD, in-house, added 166(169 minus the 3 outsourced) cars in three years, maybe those other studios can handle 50+ cars each, from 2018 to Gran Turismo 7 debut this year or next year.

If it allows a greater focus on sound design and engine audio/exhaust development for a larger car list this will make me even happier as GT Sport started to finally head in the right direction with this, hope it continues.

It won't, 3D modellers are not sound engineers/software designers. If they want improvements in that area, they'll need to hire more people in that field.

It is simply to allow them to produce more cars, quicker.

Outsource companies are really talented nowadays, and high quality AAA games releasing in a reasonable development time wouldn't exist without them.

Here's to hoping PD found an outsourcing team that fits their quality standards to help them build tracks and environment props too. It's the only feasible way we'll ever get accurate recreations of real-world cities in consistent quality and shorter development time, and not end up again with something that looks like Alsace Circuit.

Project Gotham Racing 4's New York City is still the greatest of all time city recreation in a racing game.

Last edited:
Outsource companies are really talented nowadays, and high quality AAA games releasing in a reasonable development time wouldn't exist without them.

Here's to hoping PD found an outsourcing team that fits their quality standards to help them build tracks and environment props too. It's the only feasible way we'll ever get accurate recreations of real-world cities in consistent quality and shorter development time.

Project Gotham Racing 4's New York City is still the greatest of all time city recreation in a racing game.

WoW!!!!! that was on Xbox 360!!!!!:drool: It looks next gen !!!!!

I hope GT7 will the only GT for PS5 so Polyphony can do content for the whole life duration of the new gen console. Outsourcing this was a smart move in my eyes.

I'd like it too.

But in that option I do not wish this to be their alibi to make GT 7 a basic game at the begining of its lifespan, and an incomplete but decent at the end just like GT Sport in term of content and game design.

And you're right, I believe that outsourcing will help of course to solve some of GT Sport issues.

Probably studied there, or has to use VPN, quite a few online portfolio websites are banned by the Indian gov.
Or is based in the UK and works for an Indian company. I’m based in the UK but work for an American company.

Considering she said she worked on the mid-poly model, it sounds like Polyphony still made the highest poly model and then outsourced the lower LOD models to third party? Which is one way to maintain better quality control and avoid inaccurate models to Polyphony's standards. Kaz previously talked about how time consuming it took to create various LOD's of the cars.

"The Jaguar Vision GT 3D model, as received from Jaguar’s designers, contains over 7 million polygons. The challenge for Polyphony’s 3D artists, then, is to figure out how to reduce the number of polygons while retaining as much detail as possible. Kazunori explains this is a very difficult process which cannot be automated. Only humans can identify the exact shapes which are most important to the car’s appearance.

To give you an idea of the immense amount of work this requires, the Jaguar Vision GT was reduced from 7 million to 70,000 polygons for the game. From there, even more models with less detail need to be produced by hand."​

Last edited:
This is a good thing, outsource companies can be a huge help when working on large projects and there are some insanely talented people working at outsource studios. I've worked with some myself and in some cases they were producing better work than our internal teams....

I trust PD to be managing them and ensuring they maintain quality too. This gives me even more hope that GT7 will be as good as it can!

One thing to note, this is just for the model itself, and likely doesn't include the other things one needs to get a car added to a game:
  • Handling
  • Audio
  • AI Benchmarking
  • General game integration (UI, upgrades, bugtesting, adding to career etc.)
  • Licensing (both of the car and any official liveries, screenshots, videos etc.)

Just wanted to put that out there before people assume developers can go from reading a wishlist thread to having a car in-game in 3 months ;)

For context, the 2019 FIA World Rallycross Championship cars were revealed in April of that year, and they were in DiRT Rally 2.0 in December. Classics take longer as data and licensing is more complicated.

Back