Gran Turismo Car Models Now Made in Three Months, Outsourced to India

I think in the long run, it will help GT since a larger car roster is welcome (especially with GT Sport's small car selection).
However, Gran Turismo was definitely at the top in terms of car modelling accuracy. Hope outsourcing doesn't lead to lower quality/inconsistent cars like Forza Motorsport has.
Most of Forza’s best models are those that are outsourced and/or laser scanned. Those that are lacking (R32 Golf and GTR, S15, etc) are those that have simply been around since FM1 and FM2 and have had detail added rather than modelled from scratch.

Leaving mid poly work to outsource is a good compromise cause the majority of the detail we see in gameplay is high poly work that PD develops and therefore the shell that is most important of the vehicle model is of PD quality.

Was the Fukuoka outsource that did the Honda S660 responsible for mid poly work as well or did they develop the whole vehicle?

One thing to note, this is just for the model itself, and likely doesn't include the other things one needs to get a car added to a game:
  • Handling
  • Audio
  • AI Benchmarking
  • General game integration (UI, upgrades, bugtesting, adding to career etc.)
  • Licensing (both of the car and any official liveries, screenshots, videos etc.)

Just wanted to put that out there before people assume developers can go from reading a wishlist thread to having a car in-game in 3 months ;)

For context, the 2019 FIA World Rallycross Championship cars were revealed in April of that year, and they were in DiRT Rally 2.0 in December. Classics take longer as data and licensing is more complicated.

Agreed.

The header for the article is accurate, but also very easy to misread and mislead.

I dont recall too well, but wasn't the original comment from PD about "6 months to make a car" inclusive of the time taken to scan the vehicle, and all the extra bits you mentioned above.

If that is correct, it might *still* take 6 months to make a car.

And how much of the 6 months was required to model the car previously? Could it have been 3 months back then too?

Does someone have a link to the original article referencing "6 months"? Thanks :cheers:

Good news: we can expect more cars.
Bad news: we can probably say goodbye to the free updates...
Other bad news: Probably the quality of the cars will be lower (look at forza and driveclub for example)

I just hope they manage to keep the modelling quality GT is known for. I've noticed errors and inaccuracies in some GT Sport models, but I don't know if these specific cars were outsourced or done by PD themselves.
That's what im afraid off, in my opinion was better to outsorce other spects of the game as the environements, building etc. not the cars which are the most important aspect of the game

Last edited by a moderator:
Other bad news: Probably the quality of the cars will be lower (look at forza and driveclub for example)

That's what im afraid off, in my opinion was better to outsorce other spects of the game as the environements, building etc. not the cars which are the most important aspect of the game
There are already inconsistencies in GTSport's car models. I thought it was just a LOD bug but I don't think that's the case.

With Polyphony's recent outsourcing methods, I'm sure GT7 could have a significantly larger car list than expected, hopefully, at best, around 750 at launch.
Not wanting to be to objective, but most of the cars we have now don't get used in any sort of in game races other than private or online rooms with groups.

Because they are outsourced doesn't mean the LOD is lower, or the quality is less. There's companies that exceed PDs modeling capabilities and even their standards, and if you are in an agreement with another company to outsource your need for content to a specific level, you agree to the standard. You don't just send them files and get whatever the company feels is sufficient in return.

Most games these days outsource modeling anyways. Not sure what the fuss is about.
PD has recently(for a couple years now) been outsourcing. The big fuss are PD said they don't follow what any other games are doing, plus, they like to keep all things in-house.

For PD to have confidence in branching out with many aspects of their development team(the job openings/call outs for AI writing, designers, game play, etc), it is a big fuss for a studio, that, after 25 years, are now doing what other games have already been doing.

You’re jumping to conclusions.

Indeed. The fact that nobody can 100% say which models are outsourced and which are PD models shows that the quality is very close across most cars. There will always be errors in models here and there but every modeller can make those errors, there is no reason to suggest it's only outsourcing companies that can do it.

I think in the long run, it will help GT since a larger car roster is welcome (especially with GT Sport's small car selection).
However, Gran Turismo was definitely at the top in terms of car modelling accuracy. Hope outsourcing doesn't lead to lower quality/inconsistent cars like Forza Motorsport has.
I've heard of this happening in the past, are there any comparisons or an analysis of the poor end-results?

Indeed. The fact that nobody can 100% say which models are outsourced and which are PD models shows that the quality is very close across most cars. There will always be errors in models here and there but every modeller can make those errors, there is no reason to suggest it's only outsourcing companies that can do it.

Not to mention the fact that it's still PD's call to accept or reject an outsourced model, it's not as if they're not checking the work their third party modellers are doing before they put these cars in the game.

A bad outsourced model is still PD's fault, either because they've been careless in selecting who they contract, not including clauses in the contracts they issue to ensure they get what they want or just by not taking the necessary steps to correct issues with bad models.

I don’t mind this at all, and I assume PD takes a very good look at the models before approving them, maybe even tweaking them a bit on their end.

Back