Gran Turismo HD officially canned - Next stop is GT5

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,127 comments
L4S, you have to understand that my estimates are based on the fact that the PS3 uses higher resolution uncompressed textures (largely uncompressed anyway) and lossless uncompressed audio (which is larger than even "wav" files).

I am also assuming that each car will come with detailed data in reference to the physical properties of the car, as well as modification data (i.e. how it would respond to mods in terms of gains and powerband).

It's kind of silly, btw, to compare GT4 data, with very low resolution data, highly compressed audio, to a next generation car model, with improved data and sound.
Yes which is why my estimates of upto 15mb are a lot higher than what you'll find in GTR2. You seem to have some strange notion that these extra files will be in the 10's of megabytes each or something. Regarding files covering the physics of the cars, all that will be is data, data that is read by the game engine and decoded then run in the game engine, the car will not feature any part of the game engine, it will feature information, information the game engine reads and decodes nothing more. That equals a file that will be for arguments sake as large as 1mb. You have the 3d car model it'self lets say 2mb, you have the textures of the car let's say 3mb for 3 paint schemes then you have the sounds let's say 3mb then you have other data files covering the mods, calculations for engine wear ect, that'll come in at maybe 0.2mb, that's a 9.2mb uncompressed file.

I don't doubt that all games will use uncompressed audio. 16 bit 44khz .wav format is more than good enough for video games, the CD standard, but it could be even higher resolution such as 48khz, 88.2 or 96khz. The PS3 is going to offer developers a lot of options because of the sheer power of the machine.

I expect that the GTHD delay indicates that the game is going to be released with more content on board, which would mean a higher than $5-10 US price. Undoubtedly, Sony took note of the empty game bellyaching, at least this is my guess.

How many of you would pay $19.99 for some included GT Classic content, say 100-200 cars and 20 tracks or so? Not to leave out the possibility of 60 GT5 level Premium cars and 3 or 4 tracks? Whatever form GTHD takes, I'm in.

I don't doubt that all games will use uncompressed audio. 16 bit 44khz .wav format is more than good enough for video games, the CD standard, but it could be even higher resolution such as 48khz, 88.2 or 96khz. The PS3 is going to offer developers a lot of options because of the sheer power of the machine.

I expect that the GTHD delay indicates that the game is going to be released with more content on board, which would mean a higher than $5-10 US price. Undoubtedly, Sony took note of the empty game bellyaching, at least this is my guess.

How many of you would pay $19.99 for some included GT Classic content, say 100-200 cars and 20 tracks or so? Not to leave out the possibility of 60 GT5 level Premium cars and 3 or 4 tracks? Whatever form GTHD takes, I'm in.

I would definitely take that up as well :)

And there's still the issue floating around that GTHD may yet have all the Classic content on disc when it's released, or at least as much of it as was on GT4. Sony would give us the option to buy unlocks to open up the car list if we didn't want to go through the hassle of winning them the hard way.

Frankly I think that is unlikely, and Polyphony is modelling cars and tracks like mad, and incorporating the foundations in the models for that future damage patch. I believe that Sony is possibly toying with us a bit, as this slow leak of differing tidbits is keeping us on the edge of our seats. And keeping people interested is what the pre-release battle is all about. ;)

Sometime soon though, Polyphony is going to have to give us a definite statement of what we're going to see on the shelves, but I expect to be pretty excited over the news when the details come out.

I'm all for the slow release of tidbits, I found out so much about GT4 before I got it that I knew it all before I played it. that took away some of the novelty for me.

Anyone hear anything about a special "professional" handling mode to be made available? There's something at the ign site about yamauchi mentioning it.

To people who are concerened about HDD space, just buy a larger HDD! It's not a special type of HDD like the 360.

Just open the flap on the side and then press eject button, put in new and larger HDD and bam you are done. BTW for anyone wondering the HDD size is 2.5 inch, which is the standard for notebook drives.

Physically, it may be the same size as a standard 2.5" HDD, but will it really be exchangeable? Maybe it needs to be formatted in a special way, and if the PS3 doesn't do that by itself, you're pretty much stuck with the original HDD.

Physically, it may be the same size as a standard 2.5" HDD, but will it really be exchangeable? Maybe it needs to be formatted in a special way, and if the PS3 doesn't do that by itself, you're pretty much stuck with the original HDD.

IF the disk is indeed formatted in some special way - but is removable, have no doubt a 160Gb solution will be available < a week from launch....

But if it's 2.5" it'll be expensive. I wonder if we'll start seeing mods for PS3s to accept 3.5" drives, so people can put 750GB drives in and run Linux on them...:dopey: :dopey: :dopey: :dopey: :dopey: :dopey: :dopey:

IF the disk is indeed formatted in some special way - but is removable, have no doubt a 160Gb solution will be available < a week from launch....

This is getting more costly for me as we approach the launch date.

PS3 (20GB) --------------------$499.99
PS3 Memory Card Reader -------$12.99
PS3 Sixaxis Remote Controller --$29.99
PS3 Video Game of Choice ------$59.99
Blu-ray Movie Disc ---------------$29.99
PS3 Larger HDD (160GB) ------$179.99
---------------------------------------------
Total $812.94
Tax ---$67.07
-----------------
Grand Total $880.01

It's $108.25 more for the 60GB model which makes it
$988.26, and even more if I want more than one movie and/or one game.

Like I said a long time ago, I expect to pay around $1,000.00 on launch day for the PS3.

Yeah, and the cost of GT HD ain't gonna help much either. The game is likely to be cheaper than $60 (or £50 I see, nice fair exchange rate) but actually playing it may cost you a bit more, depending on which rumour we believe about the downloading of cars. of course updates are going to cost us dear, but whether it'll really be painful or not is up to whether we can get the Classic content without having to pay through the nose. If we do, then god help students like me who have to pay for them. True, I don't NEED GT HD, but I kind of fancy playing a game that costs less than £700. Is that so hard? :crazy:

If you put it on a HDD, It can be duplicated easily! Even on to a external if needed, I plan to slap a Scully or Maxtor 300GB HDD in mines immediately, It's what I use in my PS2 and I can't see software interrupting either...

Yeah, and the cost of GT HD ain't gonna help much either. The game is likely to be cheaper than $60 (or £50 I see, nice fair exchange rate) but actually playing it may cost you a bit more, depending on which rumour we believe about the downloading of cars. of course updates are going to cost us dear, but whether it'll really be painful or not is up to whether we can get the Classic content without having to pay through the nose. If we do, then god help students like me who have to pay for them. True, I don't NEED GT HD, but I kind of fancy playing a game that costs less than £700. Is that so hard? :crazy:
£50 for a game?

£40 tops. £35 in the supermarkets. I reckon Tesco will use the PS3 launch massively.

This is getting more costly for me as we approach the launch date.

PS3 (20GB) --------------------$499.99
PS3 Memory Card Reader -------$12.99
PS3 Sixaxis Remote Controller --$29.99
PS3 Video Game of Choice ------$59.99
Blu-ray Movie Disc ---------------$29.99
PS3 Larger HDD (160GB) ------$179.99
---------------------------------------------
Total $812.94
Tax ---$67.07
-----------------
Grand Total $880.01

It's $108.25 more for the 60GB model which makes it
$988.26, and even more if I want more than one movie and/or one game.

Like I said a long time ago, I expect to pay around $1,000.00 on launch day for the PS3.
I thought you could pre-order any bigger Hard Drives at this moment in time.

yeah but then the loss might be so great they'll never make it back... They won't be making a loss on the games, it's them that are keeping the loss made on the system afloat.

yeah but then the loss might be so great they'll never make it back... They won't be making a loss on the games, it's them that are keeping the loss made on the system afloat.
The PS3 will sell and it will sell for years, unless something is drastically wrong. So there's no doubt they will make their money back on it.

Yeah, although I'm struggling what will be in-date when the Cell becomes out-of-date... I have my suspicions it'll be the RSX that becomes old fashioned first though.

Merylin Lynch estimated Sony's ivestment of 1 billion $ on PS3 project in total. It is the biggest investment in video-game industry ever in history, biggest ever in entertainment history and biggest ever in consumer-electronics history. As well as biggest ever in history of making one-sole product out of it - that will not change or become franchised.

However, I do not think they will loose. One year from now they will sell each and every one PS3 they can manufacture and ship. In the 2nd year they will have biggest ever install base seen in such a early stage. Reason? It is PlayStation 3.

Brand recognition of PS brand is frightening in terms of world-market. And it is the cheapest piece of such advanced audio-video tech-equipment on market - ever.

PS3 has it all inside - for the price of UMTS Nokia cell-phone. A cell-phone. I have paid my Siemens SX-1 GSM phone 500 euros 3 years ago. Today it is rubbish compared to UMTS models. Top-models of Nokia or Motorola are today more expensive then PS3. Nokia's top-model costs almost 1000 euros today.

It would take lots of space to break-down all business-wise points which are leading to the same conclusion: They will prevail. And they will accomplish their mission. For real.

On day one some shops were selling 360 games for &#163;50, I don't see that not happening with the PS3 but at the same time a lot of shops ill be selling them for &#163;40. The prices fro PS3 games will be no different than the prices for 360 games.

Yeah, however the Xbox 360 games that were £50 were £40 at amazon and Play. PS3 games are currently £50 at amazon and Play. Hopefully that will change upon launch. In any case, for those who are interested, Lik-Sang are taking no-purchase-or-payment-necessary pre-orders for the PS3, and when they have acquired enough they will give you price info and you can choose whether or not to buy one. Given the recent Japanese price drop I'd be interested to see how much they'll want. Not saying I'm definitely going to buy one from them, but it's still a possibility.

Yeah, however the Xbox 360 games that were £50 were £40 at amazon and Play. PS3 games are currently £50 at amazon and Play. Hopefully that will change upon launch. In any case, for those who are interested, Lik-Sang are taking no-purchase-or-payment-necessary pre-orders for the PS3, and when they have acquired enough they will give you price info and you can choose whether or not to buy one. Given the recent Japanese price drop I'd be interested to see how much they'll want. Not saying I'm definitely going to buy one from them, but it's still a possibility.

Do you know what PS3's those are? What I mean is are they Japanese, North American, or European? Or is there a difference? There should be...but hell i don't know...lol. I'm don't know a whole lot about what Lik-sang sells....I usually end up buying my stuff from normal retailers like best buy, walmart, gamestop...etc.

They're Japspec ones, but pretty much the only difference is their country of origin, unless they have region protection for BluRay movies which they might. What voltage does Japan use?

Well thats why they're &#163;50, they're Japanese games. If you wanted to import a new US XB360 game through Amazon it'd more than likely cost &#163;50 then as well. Your barking up the wrong tree mate.

No the games were from Amazon and Play, so they're UK games.

Update from Lik-sang's TnCs:
Special Pre-Order Terms & Conditions:
Your pre-order is not binding and you can cancel at any time.
Once release and price details are known, you will receive an email that you need to confirm.
As long as you don't cancel, you will keep your position in the pre-order list.
Unit price and features are not confirmed and can change at any time.
Release date is not confirmed and might change.
The product is listed with a dummy price - your credit card is NOT charged.
All special pre-orders are limited to a maximum of 1 unit.
Depending on release schedule you will be offered choice between US and Japanese systems as Premium or Basic PS3 Pack.
Choices and changes are also allowed if several editions/colors are made available.
Confirmed launch titles can be added to your order; if a title is delayed, orders can be changed.
Again, you will not pay a penny until the minute we ship out your order.

Back