Gran Turismo HD officially canned - Next stop is GT5

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,127 comments
No, it just adds more money for the developers.

If you ask me, I dont care about diversity and rarity, I just want a game where I can win, tune and buy cars I want without wasting REAL money

What do I have from a car nobody owns except me? Nothing. Rarity is senseless.

I just want a updatet oldschool-like GT with new/more cars, better graphics and tons of content and some nice features.:guilty:

The NissanR89c is also rare cause of mission 34, and I dont had to pay for it.

It worked extremely well with the past 4 GT's, never touch a running system. And thats not a touch thats a punch right in the face.

Can you spell GREED?

Can you say mad because games are entering an age where you have to pay to get what you want?

Face it. With the PS3 entering online, it's going to follow Live's pay for what you want.

You want free cars? Ok, first off, have any idea where that money actually goes? To modelling more cars.

Polophony needs to re-gain that cash. If you pay for new cars, it gives them money to go out and model more cars. It's exactly how Bizarre and Eden are working. They're not modelling cars so you can have them for free. They're going to make a way so they can make money out of it. Polyphony is following the same path with this little game.

Lastly, it's called the business world. If you can make money off it, you might want to do it to keep alive.

Wow...I saw the thread title, and thought, "oh man, PS3 sales are going to skyrocket within the first few months just because of this one game."

Now I've read the details, and it's the complete opposite. If this all turns out to be true, Sony better have a helluva good reason to pull this kind of dumb money-whoring stunt, or they'll be missing out on a lot of sales. :lol:

I'm impressed with what I've heard of GT5 so far, though (via GTHD Premium's details)..."3D spectator crowd, very detailed car models with interiors...The weather changes while racing..." Now, if they've paid that kind of attention to the one thing that really matters, driving physics, then I may have to get a PS3 and GT5 (when they both hit bargain bins several years from now) after all. :) Of course, knowing Sony, the servers that allow you to buy/download cars and tracks will probably go offline around that same time. :rolleyes: :lol:

You want free cars?

I dont want free cars, I want to buy a whole game; I dont want to buy the games full content piece by piece.

Just take a break to think about this:
The Price of GT4 is around 55€ for 700cars and about 20 tracks.

Lets say GTHD costs also 55€.
Lets say GTHD wants 3€ a car. = 700cars = 2100€
Without tracks!:dunce:
If I want 700 cars to race I have to pay 2100€ +55€ + 5$ for a track.

So GTHD is 2105€ more expensive than GT4 with the same content but with 1 track.

Thats insane.

They just want to rip off as much money as possible. They tried to do this with lots of beautiful content and cars. Now they'll try it with collecting and lacking content. Haha, nice, but not for me.

Ok, first off, have any idea where that money actually goes? To modelling more cars.

Thats naive, iam very sure that the whole content is already done.

But nothing is sure now, so I'll wait and see!

Yeah, but at the same time, after buying that PS3, you could download the Nurburgring and 2 nice cars for just over 5$ and then have hours of fun online :D

Let's just wait how it pans out, shall we? TGS starts in about 26 hours, and we'll know more soon enough.

i have a lot of respect for you arwin, but how can you say that? we have every right to be angry, we´re talking about the whole concept of microtransactions and holding back content to rip off people. there´s no way to defend such policy.

for 20 bucks you have all 719 cars in GT4 and now you have to buy again? the concept is just wrong. you can say that we decide what we are going to buy, they are giving us options. that´s bad. fine, some will say: "just don´t buy the game"

that´s terrible. because them they would be killing the best thing i´ve ever saw a videogame produce - the GT franchise. it makes sense that some of this inhfo is misleading, but still, microtransactions will take place in the future of GT. and i just can´t help but feel very sad about this. and i live in south america, without a visa international, so they are basically saying, with all that downloadable stuff - "you can´t play mister francisco" talk about a bad birthday gift... i´m eagerly wating for friday to see if there´s light in the middle of this huge mess...

I dont want free cars, I want to buy a whole game; I dont want to buy the games full content piece by piece.

Just take a break to think about this:
The Price of GT4 is around 55€ for 700cars and about 20 tracks.

Lets say GTHD costs also 55€.
Lets say GTHD wants 3€ a car. = 700cars = 2100€
Without tracks!:dunce:
If I want 700 cars to race I have to pay 2100€ +55€ + 5$ for a track.

So GTHD is 2105€ more expensive than GT4 with the same content but with 1 track.

Thats insane.

They just want to rip off as much money as possible. They tried to do this with lots of beautiful content and cars. Now they'll try it with collecting and lacking content. Haha, nice, but not for me.

Thats naive.

But nothing is sure now, so I'll wait and see!

and you know that i thought the concept of downlods in GT was going to be better used. since cadillac put a free car pack for PGR3, i thought companies would like to advertise their cars in GT5, putting them for free downloads just as they are released. now that´s a model i would like to see. companies pay a $hit load of money to get some of their cars in... others charge to let their cars appear in the game... i just think that somehow, we have to get something for free...

EDITED: New Famitsu states that game will come with two modes (releases?) "GT HD Premium" and "GT HD Classic". It remains to be seen what does it means.
there will be only one stock keeping unit (SKU) containing both Premium and Classic.

Can you say mad because games are entering an age where you have to pay to get what you want?

Face it. With the PS3 entering online, it's going to follow Live's pay for what you want.

You want free cars? Ok, first off, have any idea where that money actually goes? To modelling more cars.

Polophony needs to re-gain that cash. If you pay for new cars, it gives them money to go out and model more cars. It's exactly how Bizarre and Eden are working. They're not modelling cars so you can have them for free. They're going to make a way so they can make money out of it. Polyphony is following the same path with this little game.

Lastly, it's called the business world. If you can make money off it, you might want to do it to keep alive.
What it sounds like PD is doing is selling you a shell, and then they're going to make you pay extra for what should come with the game.

With PGR3 and Bizarre, they're giving you a whole game, with plenty of cars and tracks (or cities in this case), for $50. You can buy the extra downloadable packs for $5, but they're definitely not needed.

With TDU and Eden, same thing. You get all the cars you'd ever want, and the whole island, etc, for $40.

TDU and PGR3 weren't released as shells. They were released as whole games. If TDU did what it looks like PD will do, the game (TDU) would come with a few cars and a small fraction of the island, forcing you to pay extra for the rest of the island and the cars.

Now, if 100 cars + 20 tracks cost $10, and GT:HD retails for $10, I'm fine with that, since when it all adds up, it nearly totals up to the numbers of GT4, which were overkill.

Yes, same with the tracks.

My points are:
* You have to pay much more for the same content as GT4
* The game is unplayable without bought content
* Not everyone likes to pay that much stuff in the internet. / complexity
* The empty game might cost as much as a full sized game with a load of content

^If thats true I'll save my money for something else and hope that many other pissed-off die hard fans do the same.

hmm ... in the previous iterations of GT did your gargages actually contain hundreds upon hundreds of cars all of which you drove in equal measure?

Did you have to pay outrageous prices for those cars? No.

EDIT:

Michael88
And that makes me think, what will happen to the people without an internet connection to their PS3?

Duċk;2424434
err ... you didn't answer the question: "in the previous iterations of GT did your garages actually contain hundreds upon hundreds of cars all of which you drove in equal measure?"

Duċk;2424434

And that makes me think, what will happen to the people without an internet connection to their PS3?

And what happens to younger GT players without a Visa-card or a Pay-Pal account?

I personally dont have a Visa/master card.:scared:

err ... you didn't answer the question: "in the previous iterations of GT did your garages actually contain hundreds upon hundreds of cars all of which you drove in equal measure?"
No, they didn't. But you could unlock them, for free.
And what happens to younger GT players without a Visa-card or a Pay-Pal account?

I personally dont have a Visa/master card.:scared:

Use your parent's Visa card?

in previous GT's how many cars did you purchase with the credits you earned for doing well in races?
Well..... that's a good question. I know I earned more than a couple of hundred cars in races, some of which I sold. But I was someone who went through GT4 with almost as much enthusiasm for buying cars as I did racing them. I'm pretty sure I bought at least 150 cars out of my 400+ in garage right now.

Since there hasn't been any refutation as far as I know from Polyphony or Sony on this issue, it may be the model Sony is pursuing. Depending on the cost of the game, which there are rumors of a free game on the PS3 hard drive, as well as the real cost of content, I might not sit this one out. If I can get all of GTHD's content for $50-60, I won't be unhappy. If it's more than that, I'll either get some of it, or just keep myself satisfied with what's in Premium Mode.

Well..... that's a good question. I know I earned more than a couple of hundred cars in races, some of which I sold. But I was someone who went through GT4 with almost as much enthusiasm for buying cars as I did racing them. I'm pretty sure I bought at least 150 cars out of my 400+ in garage right now.

Since there hasn't been any refutation as far as I know from Polyphony or Sony on this issue, it may be the model Sony is pursuing. Depending on the cost of the game, which there are rumors of a free game on the PS3 hard drive, as well as the real cost of content, I might not sit this one out. If I can get all of GTHD's content for $50-60, I won't be unhappy. If it's more than that, I'll either get some of it, or just keep myself satisfied with what's in Premium Mode.

And speaking about that, what happens if you accidentally delete the content?

Yes, same with the tracks.
if that's true, it's impressive. with your garage of hundreds upon hundreds of cars all of which you raced on lots of tracks i'm curious how long did it take you to achieve this? what's the 'day progress' in your game? my garage in GT3 had about 25 cars most of which i won as prizes. i regularly drive maybe five of these cars and enjoy the game very, very much.

My points are:
* You have to pay much more for the same content as GT4
i don't think my gameplay experience with the GT franchise was horribly diminished because i owned / earned no more than 30 cars.

* The game is unplayable without bought content
i believe Premium and Classic are combined in the same stock keeping unit (SKU) so there will be some tracks and a few cars.

i don't think you need all that content but it's true that not everyone is accustomed to online play.

* The empty game might cost as much as a full sized game with a load of content
we'll have to see what's the MSRP and get acquainted with th eofficially confirmed content of Premium and Classic before striking Sony / Polyphony Digital.

^If thats true I'll save my money for something else and hope that many other pissed-off die hard fans do the same.
the next two months will be interesting ;)

Duċk;2424453
And speaking about that, what happens if you accidentally delete the content?

I've always wondered about that...I suppose if you have an account with Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo that keeps track of which downloadables you've purchased, you can download them as many times as you want/need...?

I don't have a 360, so I don't know how it works with Microsoft, and the Wii/PS3 have yet to be released.

Duċk;2424442
No, they didn't. But you could unlock them, for free.
'locked' cars don't have much value because you don't / can't use them. i don't feel that i have diminished my GT gaming experience because i didn't unlock the uber-cars ;)

anyway, of the cars you use on a regular basis did you purchase them with game credits or were they awarded as prizes? for me, the cars i use regularly are those i won because they come pre-tuned and race really well. i did make minor adjustments but they're pretty damn good straight off the 1st prize podium. if GT HD has the same prize structure, i'll most likely be driving these cars instead of spending seventy-five (75) cents on a 'stock' car :)

Bummer. I'm not liking P.D. charging us for the cars and tracks in the Classic Mode, when it doesn't come with any from the start.
IGN
SCE will be charging players for these downloads. While pricing hasn't been finalized, we can expect each car to cost between 50 and 100 yen (50 cents to 1 dollar). Polyhpony plans on adding more cars and courses on a weekly or monthly basis, with some cars available in limited quantities. Concerns over players using real money to trade vehicles may keep car trading functionality out, although Polyphony is currently looking into the matter.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733728p1.html?RSSwhen2006-09-20_101600&RSSid=733728

I hope this is going to make sense somehow, once the game becomes available. Because right now, I'm ready to quit on the only video game series I care for(excluding Dragon Quest, but that's different). GT4 is going to take couple more years for me to beat it anyway.

Just when I was starting to lean towards PS3, they do something like this. This may not be the real GT, but if they are actually putting something like this into action on Gran Turismo HD now, I fully expect to see the same "bend you over" policy in Gran Turismo 5. :indiff:

If this is true, I think they are just killing Gran Turismo:
IGN
In Classic mode, you start off with no cars or courses. New cars and courses are added via downloads. The game will offer over 750 cars and 50 courses.

SCE will be charging players for these downloads. While pricing hasn't been finalized, we can expect each car to cost between 50 and 100 yen (50 cents to 1 dollar). Polyhpony plans on adding more cars and courses on a weekly or monthly basis, with some cars available in limited quantities.
It might well be an "experiment", to find out how much people are willing to pay for downloadable content. If it will be successful, they might add a similar model in GT5, if it isn't, they probably won't.

Now, I'm not entirely convinced that this is what it looks like, but if it really turns out to be this pricey, the success of GT:HD will be very "limited".

Regards
the Interceptor

Hrm... I just thought of something. What if this is the Japanese version and this is how they're set up in Japan?

It doesn't have to be a Japan-only scheme, this might be the way it is universally. But it seems like this is the way a lot of things were announced with certain Japanese titles, and then when the western versions were released later, the structure was traditional, where we bought the full games.

Oh well, maybe I'm just thinking wishfully. We'll surely see in about 20 hours.

I'm just in shock right now. There's been Micro$oft remarks in this thread, and how $ony would never be like them. :P j/k

LOL I C WUT U DID THAR... :lol:

Anyway, you have to wonder...if the replies in this thread are indicative of the opinions of the GT fanbase as a whole -- and as members of what is perhaps the largest Gran Turismo fansite on the interweb, that's a strong possibility -- Sony and PD may have a real dud on their hands, here.

A few of you have even mentioned giving up on the Gran Turismo series if this expensive downloadable content thing turns out to be true (assuming GT5's car/track content will work off of a similar system and not return to the "everything on the disc you bought" idea)...

A few of you have even mentioned giving up on the Gran Turismo series if this expensive downloadable content thing turns out to be true (assuming GT5's car/track content will work off of a similar system and not return to the "everything on the disc you bought" idea)...
What is unbelievable is that in the online mode(Classic.... ripoff), it supposedly doesn't even come with "a" car, or "a" track.

I have so much to say right now, but I think I'll hold it in until more information becomes available. ;)

So are some of you like totally crazy ? What's up with these naive 1000 $+ calculations ?
I tell you sth, there won't even be 100 cars and nobody will charge you over maybe additional 50 bucks, so please stop making these childish assumptions....
Always the same... throw a prerendered trailer to the masses and they will go OMG UBER GRAFICS... the same here, where is your sense of reality ? Read the info and before you react, then let it rotate in your brain for another 20 seconds before writing complete nonsense... thx :rolleyes:

I tell you sth, there won't even be 100 cars and nobody will charge you over maybe additional 50 bucks, so please stop making these childish assumptions....
While I think that's entirely possible, the information at hand seem to indicate:
Over 750 cars and 50 tracks are available for purchase.
I am waiting to see......

Back