Gran Turismo HD officially canned - Next stop is GT5

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,127 comments
We have to admit that the Gran Turismo series has grown enormously since it's first installment some ten years ago. Now what makes us think that PD or any other game developer can produce a game that contains everyone's wishes. Take a moment and read through the enormous amount of features that we want in the various GT 5 wishlists out there. Interesting isn't it? How many of us would truely drive, tune, and crash all the 750+ cars that we're asking for? This doesn't include the trucks, the big rigs, the motorcycles, etc. If PD produced a game that had everything which is featured in a race, great. I'm for it, count me in. I would then build myself a garage that would roughly hold 25 cars and a separate building to house the extra parts. Remember, we all wanted damage and parts breakage. Now we're going to get the opportunity to pay for the damage and abuse. By going online we can tailor the game to our liking. Who knows maybe we can trade parts online. In my opinion this is how all video games are going to made. Go online and tailor the game to your personal tatses. Remember we asked for it. Any one know what a "digital quart" of oil costs? My Viper Oreca needs an oil change.......badly.

Of course no game can please everyone and contain all features expected by gamers. And of course it's business and PD aims at making money with their games.
But they earning money only makes sense as far as they provide their customers with a finished product. Which is not the case here IMO. The main conclusions I draw from their recent annoucements are :
1) gamers will have to pay an expensive delayed new hardware ;
2) gamers will have to pay a playable demo ;
3) gamers will have to pay to add content to the demo ;

When I add up all these to know the real cost of the product, the figure I get is in no way the price of a game. Not in my book.

they are gowing backwards... i expected 2.000 cars for the next GT since it has blu ray and all that PS3 power.

then, after that, models released after the game ships could be downloaded... this way its just wrong. i drove at least 500 cars in GT4. if people are fine with 25 or 30, then i guess they miss the point on the whole GT concept...

its just wrong, we want to buy a complete game, not this...

Actually, among those prices in the articles, GTHD never did have a price associated with it. Is that curious? Or do you think they're afraid of discussing a game price?

Purchasing 750 cars and 50 tracks (perhaps the same ones as in GT4) at about 50 cents each already means $400. The (empty) game can be free, it'll always be too expensive.
Do PD also plan to secure the game enough to prevent the use of devices such as the MaxDrive ? Or else one single person could buy all cars and tracks and share his gamesave on the Internet.:dunce:

Actually, among those prices in the articles, GTHD never did have a price associated with it. Is that curious? Or do you think they're afraid of discussing a game price?

Well, there are prices associated to cars.

Also, something else i wanted to say. I played with ALL CARS in game. I bought the Korean version just to play with the Hyundais. So, anyone using the argument that "you just use 30 or 40 of them" is just throwign their words to /dev/null.

I like to explore this game to the max, you know? I´ve driven Nurb backwards more times than normal way. I've set up cars to the worst do make a victory difficult. I've thanked god so they included so many many many cars into this game.

I can tolerate just one possible situation: GTHD or whatever its name is, will be sold with 700 cars and 50 tracks. Then in a month or 2 or 6 they can sell a disk with 30 more tracks (F1 ones, for example) and 7 more manufacturers with 10 cars each. You buy this disc for $ moneys, install it to your PS3HD and GTHD will automatically make it available to play.

I can accept paying reasonable prices for nice packages. Now. individualize cars and prizes are way way beyond reality.

And no online fees, please. Validade it through serial number, user registering. Don't make me pay for the game AND for monthly fees.

they are gowing backwards... i expected 2.000 cars for the next GT since it has blu ray and all that PS3 power.

then, after that, models released after the game ships could be downloaded... this way its just wrong. i drove at least 500 cars in GT4. if people are fine with 25 or 30, then i guess they miss the point on the whole GT concept...

its just wrong, we want to buy a complete game, not this...

No one is going backwards. Try looking at the whole series before you talk.

GT2 had more cars than GT1, but when GT3 was released on a new system, it had less than GT2. When GT4 was released, then it had more. Being so, I expect GT5 to have less than GT4.

GT2 had more cars than GT1, but when GT3 was released on a new system, it had less than GT2. When GT4 was released, then it had more. Being so, I expect GT5 to have less than GT4.

Its just an impression, you know. But I think you are the only one who is liking this.

true, but the logic progression is to increase the number of cars. GT1 had 166, GT2 650+ GT3 was the anomaly. they had to release in june 2001, i think they didn´t get enough time to put everything in it. i don´t think we can say its a trend until... lets see... GT10. if every switch of generation goes like that, then OK. you have a point, but not for this GTHD. lets remember that its the same GT4 engine.

and GT5 will be probably hitting the shelves early 2009, so i expect them to ship the game with at least 2,000 cars. i thought GT was the primary advertising for sony, they could say: "look, we can fill an entire dual layer BD disk (50 gig) with our game, isn´t that great folks?"

You die hard fans make coming to GTPlanet annoying. I am extremely excited to be seeing a GT game near after the release of the PS3. For a non-full release game(which is what i would call this) this game is very nice. It will allow the one thing people have been screaming for more than anythign to be available. ONLINE PLAY!!!! I saw a study the other day on how hardcore gamers only make up about 3% of the gaming population. I'm guessing most of the people in the large portion are not going to be wanting GT:HD for more than the 30 or so cars. On top of all this, Personally, I don't want to play all of the cars in this game. It would be a waste for them to try and get all of the cars up to standard in time for this release. They could release this nice new feature version with some of the favorite cars of the previous GTs and then anyone who misses their favorite cars can go online and grab them. I would rather that they didn't invest so much time into this release.

Grr... Maybe I said something to contribute to all of this, I hope. Have a goodnight everyone and Cudos to those bringing in the good news. :)

Now I calmed down a little bit, the shock is gone but I still think the idea is the biggest POS ever created by PD!

However, Iam still a die-hard GT fan and I have to eat the yucky **** PD dumps in my mouth, but only with the harshest protest imagineable!:yuck:
GTHD should better have Porsches, Ferraris, extremely smart AI and a
****load of new cars and tracks to make me want to buy it.

I will buy that game, and I wont pay more than 20$/€ for that ideotic idea.:grumpy:

Lets hope for better times.

What a greedy bunch of bastards.

It will allow the one thing people have been screaming for more than anythign to be available. ONLINE PLAY!!!!

I thought that would be better AI?:dunce:

right from kotaku, its in the sony site also:

Available this winter, exclusively on PLAYSTATION®3, Gran Turismo™ HD serves as a glimpse into the evolution of the franchise and provides gamers with two types of game modes that offer an unparalleled racing experience suited for the next-generation of gaming. In Gran Turismo HD, gamers will have access to GT HD Premium and GT HD Classic. GT HD Premium features cars and tracks like never before in full high definition quality. GT HD Classic features unique online gameplay that not only provides head-to-head racing, but allows for the long awaited feature of additional cars (ranging up to 770 car models) and tracks (up to 51) available through ongoing downloads. During gameplay in Gran Turismo HD, players have the ability to manage race regulations, online competition and communities, as well as organize race events.

With unlimited network gameplay and dowloadable content, Gran Turismo HD opens doors for further opportunities of online entertainment on PLAYSTATION 3. With the availability and range of cars and tracks featured in Gran Turismo HD, this "Pure Driving Simulator" encourages and enables players to create their own "World of GT."

still does not explain anything and keeps me with fear...

Well said Cobra. Its a big shambles. And to the ones that keep saying "stop complaining" or whatever. Its not comlpaing you juvaniles. Its voicing valid consumer concerns. THEY are meant to be making this for US! But time and time again the manufacturers etc dicktate the market and continue to get away with it because consumers roll over and take it up the proverbial instead of expressing there power in the situation.

Hopefully this is some bad nightmare created by some lame papratzhee and TGS will clear it up (for the betteR).

What is all this whining about?

Around December your going to pay $40 for

- A playable demo of Gran Turismo 5 (using full PS3 power) that will include weather changes and other neat effects to give you an idea of what is in store in 2008.

- An online mode that will include events

- Gran Turismo 4 in high definition with an online mode that supports 20, YES 20 DRIVERS on track at once. Imagine the fun you will have in an online league race. Lets overlook the price and lets start realizing PD is giving us a GT game to keep us busy until the real thing is done in 2008. Why moan and complain about it? Would you rather let them let us sit here and rot for the next 18 months waiting for GT5?!

Are the prices too high for the car and track downloads? Yes they are. I think they should be at most .20-.50 for the cars and 1.00-3.00 for the tracks. BUT, who is to say the prices won't be lowered prior to release once the outcry from the fans is heard?

And I KNOW you fellow GT drivers are like me. You have MAYBE a dozen cars with more than 100 miles on the odometer. So don't come in here whining about how your going to miss the 700 cars you have in your garage just for the purpose of collecting that YOU NEVER DRIVE.

Are you really going to miss those 40 skylines? Or those 50 Lancer Evolutions? How about the PT Cruiser or mini? Oh, Im sorry, your going to have to buy $400 worth of cars so you can have the ol' hatchback and that 4 door sedan. Such a shame.

GET GTHD, buy your 15-30 favorite cars, 3-5 favorite tracks, sit down, race against 19 other online drivers, FOR FREE, and shutup.

Is this whole pay for content thing designed to take more money away from us? Yes. Im well aware of that. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Please just dont come in here and whine about it. I am so sick and tired of people whining about the great games we are so blessed to have. You tend to forget 15 years ago the best place to get a realistic driving experience was paying .75 to an arcade machine for what basicly amounts to garbage. Now you got people whining about 'anti-aliasing', or that doesnt look pretty enough, or that bump wasn't real enough, or that tree was 5 yards closer to the track then the real deal. OMG

So so unthankfull.

What is all this whining about?

Around December your going to pay $40 for

- A playable demo of Gran Turismo 5 (using full PS3 power) that will include weather changes and other neat effects to give you an idea of what is in store in 2008.

- An online mode that will include events

- Gran Turismo 4 in high definition with an online mode that supports 20, YES 20 DRIVERS on track at once. Imagine the fun you will have in an online league race. Lets overlook the price and lets start realizing PD is giving us a GT game to keep us busy until the real thing is done in 2008. Why moan and complain about it? Would you rather let them let us sit here and rot for the next 18 months waiting for GT5?!

Are the prices too high for the car and track downloads? Yes they are. I think they should be at most .20-.50 for the cars and 1.00-3.00 for the tracks. BUT, who is to say the prices won't be lowered prior to release once the outcry from the fans is heard?

And I KNOW you fellow GT drivers are like me. You have MAYBE a dozen cars with more than 100 miles on the odometer. So don't come in here whining about how your going to miss the 700 cars you have in your garage just for the purpose of collecting that YOU NEVER DRIVE.

Are you really going to miss those 40 skylines? Or those 50 Lancer Evolutions? How about the PT Cruiser or mini? Oh, Im sorry, your going to have to buy $400 worth of cars so you can have the ol' hatchback and that 4 door sedan. Such a shame.

GET GTHD, buy your 15-30 favorite cars, 3-5 favorite tracks, sit down, race against 19 other online drivers, FOR FREE, and shutup.

Is this whole pay for content thing designed to take more money away from us? Yes. Im well aware of that. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Please just dont come in here and whine about it. I am so sick and tired of people whining about the great games we are so blessed to have. You tend to forget 15 years ago the best place to get a realistic driving experience was paying .75 to an arcade machine for what basicly amounts to garbage. Now you got people whining about 'anti-aliasing', or that doesnt look pretty enough, or that bump wasn't real enough, or that tree was 5 yards closer to the track then the real deal. OMG

So so unthankfull.

people with your thinking make microtransactions ripoffs a dream come true to companies.

sad future.

how do you justify stripping down the GT4 that we already have and some bought for 20 bucks? i would have no problem if the charging system was for EXTRA CARS. new things.

we have the right to be mad because its our passion. i know, don´t like it, don´t buy it, but its sad to let go something you love so much and now its screwd up.

And to the ones that keep saying "stop complaining" or whatever. Its not comlpaing you juvaniles. Its voicing valid consumer concerns. THEY are meant to be making this for US! But time and time again the manufacturers etc dicktate the market and continue to get away with it because consumers roll over and take it up the proverbial instead of expressing there power in the situation.
I'm getting bit tired of it as well. Who are these better people talking down to me about my concern with the shift in Polyphony Digital's sales strategy.

Let's stop with "annoying", "whining", and name calling. I annoy you, you annoy me, that's really neat. But if you are bringing something good to this discussion, you should be able to just cut to the chase.

Well, 400-1200 dollars are indeed a reason to complain about in a forum...
Good thing, that we won't have to pay these dollars, so fasj6418, Flat Out etc, just relax and look forward to the release, online gameplay will be great and nobody will have to pay more than additional 99$ for downloads...

Back to the game I have to say, that the online mode will be really great I think.
20 cars at a time is a lot and so i think that we'll all have a lot of fun with it...
If I understood correctly, the GT Classic game is a higher resolution version of GT4 ? Hmm So I won't notice a huge difference on a normal TV I guess ? What a pity, still it is worth the money for the online mode I think...

41301420060922_071948_2_big.jpg

41301420060922_071947_0_big.jpg

41301420060922_071947_1_big.jpg

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/713/713809/vids_1.html
video of ign playing

one
Apparently there was a presentation about GT:HD.

Online features
115890032703.jpg

http://gemaga.sbcr.jp/

Ferrari coming to GT!?
115890198205.jpg

Damage is also coming!
115890198308.jpg

tgs105.jpg

Oh yes... I came running over here to see if anyone had discovered the news. A big shot of a Ferrari F430... sweet red color with that black horse on yellow badge... things are looking up, indeed they are. :D

Oh, for that matter, color and livery editor! Are we getting our paint shop?! Woohoo! Let the artwork... well, dream for a bit. Now, if we can just have a shot of cockpit and hoodcam view to round out the buffet...

Woops, one more thing I spotted in Improvement Targets...

"Further Realism in Professional Mode"

Eeee-hee-hee-hee. :D

Ah ha!! I get it now.

They'll be charging consumers an arm and a leg to download the content that they want, but PD/Sony have Ferrari to ensure that people will just shut up and fork over the cash anyway... :lol:

This scheme is more intelligent than I thought. :sly:

One word....

SOLD!

Thanks Alpha for the link, and special thanks to Amar212 for sharing your classified info with us once again 👍 :D

Am I just being a big kid here, or is this a dream come true? :dopey:

Looks great to me. I kind of like the pay for cars and tracks plan... in GT 4 it's kind of overwhelming to have so many choices. There are still 100's of cars I haven't driven because I can't keep track of them all.

With GTHD you spend a few bucks a week and slowly build a garage of cars you drive the hell out of... and you'll appreciate every single one.

Then go online and race what you can afford, just like in real life.

I can't wait.

Back