Gran Turismo HD officially canned - Next stop is GT5

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,127 comments
KY, PD and Sony stated that all games will run in 1080p and at 180FPS to make it sound like the PS3 would be the second coming. Of course I knew it was bull crap but that doesn't change the fact that it was again one of many, many times the above have been blowing smoke up consumer behinds.
They said 1080p would be an option in all the games, I don't know if theres any game that hasn't yet? regarding the FPS, I recall them saying all Sony games will hit a certain FPS, but I can't remember what that figure was, it wasn't 180, that's more than enough, 60fps is actually enough.

PD is struggling 20% in the development of GT5? Or is it GTHD, or GT4 online, maybe it's GT on the PSP you were referring to? It's hard to keep up with all the GT games promised and cancelled.
No, you seem to be the only one. GT mobile is not cancelled, GT:HD and GT4 Online are the only two promised that haven't turned up.

I hate to break it to you Earth but GT5 was in the making since GT4 was completed. Xmas 2004! in the last 2 years they've developed your assumed 20% and can't even get that to work.That's not a struggle, that's an ongoing comedy fair.:lol:
You do realise that the fisr part of a games production is the hardest, also GT5 may have been worked on from 2004, but they didn't actuall start coding anything until late 2005, that's when first party developers got thier PS3 development kits. So technically they've done 20% in 1 year. You may say that's still bad but considering that that first year has been spent working on a new console, next year they should probably be able to double that work rate at least. If you have any figures to contradict this, by all means post them up. If not, don't bother trying.

£1500 is actually more than $2500 so you're actually saying the PC I was using as an example would be cheaper than I originally believed.
Yes £240, your being argumentative for the sake of it here it's obviouse he was guessing the exchange rates. The point he made still stands, £1500 for a PC to play games is a very large ammount. £1500 or near enough $3000 for a PC is a hell of a lot, simple as.

There are also magazines that have "admitted", how you put it, that PS3 visuals and games in general fall far short of expectations and also a number have also said XBOX360 has the edge in those aspects.
There are also magazines that say otherwise, go figure.

Last but not least don't call me a "fan" and don't say I'm jumping ship you assuming turd.
How very mature of you.

More importantly don't start to accuse me of things just because my opinion differs from yours. I actually said I will buy a PS3 when GT5 is released, and if it's good enough. And I've never said I was a fan, I wouldn't be stupid enough to put myself in a "fan of anything" category. I'll leave fanboism in your boat, thank you!:grumpy:
I tihnk your getting fan and fanboy confused, I'm a fan of Gran Turismo, yet I wasn't all that keen on GT4 and I'm sure some members here can tell you that I can pick holes in it for hours. Again, go figure.

I used turd because I didn't want to lower the tone to something more appropriate to your assumptions and accusations.
Well I guess you succeded in lowering it beyond where the discussion was prior to that.

I never accused you of anything, labelled you or made any assumptions about you personally.
So why start.

The last bit was to let you know to back off any attacks against me personally and discuss things as an adult. Apparently that's not within your powers.
So you try to tell somene to stop acting like a child by making a personal attack on them, someone who at this point hasn't personally attacked you. Clever.

At school I use to make an example out of people that gave me grief and it's been like that all my life. I have children of my own now by the way.
And you want what exactley for telling us this?

If I was you I'd just let it go and put it down to experience.
Who's experience, yours. What the hell does yours, his or my own experince have to do with PD, Sony, PS3 and GT5?

EDIT2: Famine you may want to look at his attitude towards me, for example his accustaions and assumptions. He is also the one who started the personal attacks. Go on, look at the posts, then you can be a good moderator.
I'm sure he did, and like me I'm sure he didn't see any personal attacks on you.

Well I just can argue with that live4speed...:guilty: No honestly, I can't, my better judgement, and experience tells me debating things with you is not worth it.👎

I've posted a bit but as usual this forum turns into a circus so I'll let you fellas continue. Besides, I don't want to get in the middle of you and Earth's debate.:)

Cheers

Well I just can argue with that live4speed...:guilty: No honestly, I can't, my better judgement, end experience tells me debating things with you is not worth it.👎

I've posted a bit but as usual this forum turns into a circus so I'll let you fellas continue. Besides, I don't want to get in the middle of you and Earth's debate.:)

Cheers

Gotta respect your willingness to step back. Good call there, keeping the argument alive would have only hurt everyone involved. 👍

I would have thought, from what I've seen of the graphics, and of the PS3's power, 1920x1080 at 180fps would be doable (although I would have thought 80fps would be adequate, and somehow I think that's more what they're aiming for). However, from what I've seen of the progress they've made, I too have my doubts...
I wished PD would be independent too, I could have GT on the PC where I want it, and like you could use a high end PC and display to make GT look awesome, not to mention my beloved Anti-Aliasing! LOL. Still, that's a dream world. Sony seemed to live for PD in the past. Given how late GT5 will be though, that's no longer an option for them it seems. The other titles for the console are holding it up, GT5 is holding it back...

Live for speed in the interview i refered to acouple of pages back, its said that GT mobile has been delayed till GT5 is done, pulling all there resources together,soiwouldnt count on it ever appearing.

what worrys me, in the interview given that PD are 2years down the line, that kaz says 'There are no concrete blueprints or designs for GT5 at the moment, but along the road map ive set a point in time Xmas 2008'
Add that to the fact that its not even stable frame rate and doesnt yet feature the new physics engine or ai, is also a worry.

Ive been a devout GT fan From GT1, but i have to say i think PD have totally lost there way. I hear some of the media were really critical of PD when they showed the GTHD demo, saying yeah it looks pretty but its nothing new!
Thats how i felt about GT4 i was really looking forward to that game, online racing and all. but that was removed and with the lack of a new ai, and many other features that we come to expect from a modern driving game.
After all the hype i was massively disapointed with the final product, sure it looked nice,and i ran quite a few laps of the ring, but the main core of the game was messily cobbled together, it was boring and uninspiring and i parted company with it, being only about 20% in.

I still look forward to its arrival,just before my 40th birthday!! But to be honest I will be more looking forward to the likes of a New TOCA Race driver for PS3, because PD have been left behind with GTs lack of quality gameplay.
Sure it looks nice and it has loads of cars, but damn the gameplay needs to give me a reason to drive them!

I'd presume they're tweaked, but it's that physics engine. PD are working on a rebuilt engine for GT5's physics, which is good, because they needed to.

Yeah, I think they can finally stop obsessing over the car models and start working on a physics engine that will be on par with the visuals , that would take the game over the top.

I'd presume they're tweaked, but it's that physics engine. PD are working on a rebuilt engine for GT5's physics, which is good, because they needed to.
yes they really need to! I would PD got a lot of pressure on them selves from their fans now.. the physics need to be completly new and improved! and where is the DAMAGE??????? :nervous: they should defenetly be able to show off some damage screens at this point if you ask me!!! (if it weren't PD of though :()

Yeah, I think they can finally stop obsessing over the car models and start working on a physics engine that will be on par with the visuals , that would take the game over the top.

I dont think they have 100's of staff member working on physics. They can keep obessing over car models since that what that part of the team gets paid for. the physics team may never even see the car modelers. Now they cant blame the hardware and that is the only thing I can say about getting better physics.

Yes G25 support and I'll pay the $300 for it.

so guys enlighten a little man who lives under a rock. When is gt 5 or hd or whatever the hell it is apparently scheduled to release? i need to know so i can add a year onto it. And all the speculation about the price of cars makes me wonder for a minute. but now i realize i would still fork up the cash as i have gone through eight gt4 cd's and god knows how many gt3 cd's (my old dog seemed to love gran turismo..... but the shiny part of the cd would get stuck in his teeth) I bought gran turismo when it came out and have literally played it at least four hours a day every day since i got it even w/ the constant complaining of the wifey. living life in the fast lane i am lol. i think the cost would be worth it. and really you don't use 700 different cars..... i probably drive on average about 30 different cars. granted i do have like 30 pages of cars but most are duplicates w/ diff settings. I wonder though and it may be posted in an earlier thread but why not let the players sell their cars? are they planning on a feature like that? and let you choose the price. maybe even have an auction type deal too. that'd be cool. buy the car that did the fastest nurb lap for a couple mill.... dunno.... and then we could make millions of gt dollars buying and selling cars.... lol even have online dealerships! just don't buy any of those used cars cuz you know how those used car dealers are! they'll sell you a jalopy! damnit i wrote another novel.... i swore i wouldn't do that again. apologies

First of all, don't hate on my buddy live4speed. We all make mistakes or do/say/enact the wrong things. Polyphony Digital and all are as human as all of you. I'm a fan of the series even if I'm almost always taking the side of PD and the GT series. I still can't forget when I defended the notion that no online in GT4 shouldn't be a reason to dislike the game. What did I get for my trouble? It's called a tongue lashing. Media types were mostly relucant to make quick jokes about having to pay for every last car and track made available. And besides, GTHD was going to be a Premium package in which those looking to see the future of the GT series right before their eyes will get a chance to see what GT5 is like. Should people be disinterested in GT5 if this plan to pay for cars and tracks weren't going to take form? Absolutely not. Reason being is because GTHD is not a full GT game. So to say that people are paying for a game package that is horribly incomplete as the franchise game is completely absurd. The good thing for me is that I'm not an online gamer to begin with. So I can't say I'm personally offended by PD's decision. I also noted that this is a build-it-yourself GT game. Prefer Chevelles and Mustangs over Alto Works and Toppos (a Mitsubishi Kei car)? Don't buy them. Most of the "fanboys" would want the Ferraris above anything else even if there were only two.

Now according to the wonderful amar212, you'll still get to download demos of WIP (Work-in-Progress) versions of GTHD to eventually get a full idea of what to expect for GT5. I suggest you read this post to know exactly where we are: ( https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2423307&postcount=1 ). We're still going to get Gran Turismo love from PD. All you have to have is a PS3 and a broadband connection deal. I still want to follow this thing to know how far up this deal will go. E3 (for what we know) is done. So we'll have to find other ways to keep up to date on what concoctions PD are coming up with for GT5. At least the deal about a new Drift Trial brings about promise for prospective GT gamers. So once again, stay informed on the GT series since the cancellation of GTHD as a full-on game. It's the best you can do if you are a fan of the series. You all dig?

I just wanted to mention that physics aren't important to me.
The reasons I say that are because GT4 is probably one of the best already (surely way better than Forza which is the only real competition for GT) (that's in the mainstream sense of "competition").

If the next GT didn't show any changes to the physics I wouldn't mind. I would however, mind it if the physics were changed and ended up going closer to the Forza side of things. :irked:

With the death of GT HD I'm just hoping for one thing... A closer GT5 release date! (as if that could actually happen :( )

It's going to be a long time before we'll see GT5, so I'm going to ignore the GT series for a while. I'd be interested to see what's in the demos though.

Since the news broke I've gone through a range of emotions — most ticked-off. But recently, confused. All of the time and effort that was put into Gran Turismo HD is for nothing? I just don't get it. All of the marketing, promoting, beta testing, press releases and two major conferences in the past 18 months to shift there efforts to Gran Turimso 5? Why couldn't they release GT HD Classic? Wouldn't it be better to at least give the consumers something they were promised. I would have paid $30 or $40 for GT HD Classic with half of the content of GT4 if it carried on online mode. I'm sure there are a couple of other million that feel the same way.

In final, I guess, is GT5 going to be that great that they can scrap everything for an additional 2 years of development or is Kaz's dream racing game just a dream.

You can always download the demos if there are other games you'll play on the PS3. In truth, there are for me too, but as a PC enthusiast, and not a rich one, I don't have the money to shell out on a PS3 any time soon for the matter of a few games, other than avoiding getting StarForce on my PC. Even then it's still a high price...

Since the news broke I've gone through a range of emotions — most ticked-off. But recently, confused. All of the time and effort that was put into Gran Turismo HD is for nothing?

It's for something alright -- PS3 sales. They needed something big to get more people to buy the damned thing. It's just like GT Mobile.

Only the PS3 would have sold regardless, and PSP's still don't seem to be selling.

Anyways, its such a shame it had to be cancelled. The box art was so pretty...

with reference to damage, the article i refered to previously suggest certain manufacturers are still not keen, so damage will be limited to race car models only.

with reference to damage, the article i refered to previously suggest certain manufacturers are still not keen, so damage will be limited to race car models only.

Which in my book is better than nothing imo.

The problem we used to have was that games didn't look very good, but big corporations didn't care about video games, so the publishers/makers could get away with adding car damage. Now what we face is that we finally have game machines/PC's that can render superb visuals to near photo realistic quality, but we have the faceless corporations dictating what game publishers/makers can and cannot do. In this case not allow them to model damage of their cars.

It makes me laugh, because they seem to act like their cars couldn't possibily get damaged in real life, and if people saw it in a game, they'd never believe it. God they make me mad 👎

Yeah, they don't want to see their precious hard work in a demolished state, but primarily I think that Visual damage will be going hand in hand with performance-impacting damage. if there's a bare shell of the car left, it's unlikely to perform as if it were unscratched, and how easily situations like that will occur will vary from car to car. Finding out a particular car gets damaged more easily than another isn't very gratifying...

ya know what i decided.... i'm going to have the same mindset w/ gt5 as i did w/ gt4..... i'll play the **** out of the game i already have and not even think about the next one.... then when i finally see the next one i will buy it and repeat the process.....

Latest Posts

Back