Gran Turismo HD officially canned - Next stop is GT5

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,127 comments
There may well be an online demo availalbe next year, bottom line is that we don't know.

Forza 2!! Oh, wait....
lol
It really is a pain in the backside, because I've yet to find a game like GT that I enjoy anywhere near as much as GT for the PC...

Does anyone else see the tactic from Sony here? They did the EXACT same thing with the PSP. Follow the steps below. They apply to either platform:

1. Announce arrival of new platform
2. Show demo of new GT running on new platform
3. Create logos, website for new version of GT. Hype it at every press conference and game convention you can. Put it front and center in your press conference.
4. Release screen shots and movies of the new GT slowly over time.
5. Launch new platform
6. Immediately announce that the new GT for the new platform is not immediately coming and change status to "TBD"

As for anybody here that believes we'll see GT5 before the end of 2008, I have some prime swamp land I'd like to sell you.

Oh yeah, and did anyone also read in the news about this that the demo will also NOT have online play either?

So pissed at Sony and PD it just kills me... :mad: 🤬 :banghead:

Oh yeah, and did anyone also read in the news about this that the demo will also NOT have online play either?

So pissed at Sony and PD it just kills me... :mad: 🤬 :banghead:

the first Demo will not , who knows if the next demo will have it or not

I think the forum section should get a new name now which should be relevant to the Demo instead GTHD because there is no GTHD anymore , maybe "PS3 GT demos" or something similar

Gotta say this is rather amusing, I wonder if we'll ever see an online GT? Way its going I'd be suprised if GT5 had online or damage (ahahah like thats gonna happen), their just too damn lazy.

Probably scared of all the bad press due to the whole microtransactions thing and scuttled off to the drawing room to plot out new plans of conning people of out of their money. You know, opposed to actually developing something new and taking the series forward? Maybe they should hire some more game designers and programmers instead of marketing people.

Gotta say this is rather amusing, I wonder if we'll ever see an online GT? Way its going I'd be suprised if GT5 had online or damage (ahahah like thats gonna happen), their just too damn lazy.

Probably scared of all the bad press due to the whole microtransactions thing and scuttled off to the drawing room to plot out new plans of conning people of out of their money. You know, opposed to actually developing something new and taking the series forward? Maybe they should hire some more game designers and programmers instead of marketing people.

I don't know if you should call them lazies or not. One thing I do appreciate, is the fact that they are probably coming out with many more demos to keep us pdated instead of only one 2 years before the realease of GT5.

Ciao!

:lol:

So Sony came to their senses and chickened out on GTHD, eh? Good riddance.

I just hope they'll use the 4-5 years that will pass before we even see anything of GT5 to finally start over from scratch and put together a game worthy of the subtitle "The Real Driving Simulator."

Does anyone else see the tactic from Sony here? They did the EXACT same thing with the PSP. Follow the steps below. They apply to either platform:

1. Announce arrival of new platform
2. Show demo of new GT running on new platform
3. Create logos, website for new version of GT. Hype it at every press conference and game convention you can. Put it front and center in your press conference.
4. Release screen shots and movies of the new GT slowly over time.
5. Launch new platform
6. Immediately announce that the new GT for the new platform is not immediately coming and change status to "TBD"

I think this is Sony's new MO, in regards to their marketing practices. It's right up there with the stunt they pulled with the PS3 distribution (announcing a week *after* the debut that they'll have 1M consoles by Jan 1st).

The product is good enough; they shouldn't need to do stuff like this. It's very Schumacher-y.

:lol:

So Sony came to their senses and chickened out on GTHD, eh? Good riddance.

I just hope they'll use the 4-5 years that will pass before we even see anything of GT5 to finally start over from scratch and put together a game worthy of the subtitle "The Real Driving Simulator."

i agree lol. this actually made me want a ps3 more.

Very Mixed emotions here

I think in the short run this will hurt the GT Game series. I guess that all depends on what the demo's look like though. We all know that the graphics will be great, but will any of the other game play be any better ? Hopefully the demo will let you race at least say 8 to 12 other A.I. cars but I doubt it
Well I have no plans to buy a Playstation 3 anytime soon, would be 6 months away at earliest. Guess for me anystead of checking these formums nearly everyday, I think for awhile it will now maybe just be once a week. All I can say is that for GT5 graphics alone is not going to win the crowd over like it has done for every previuos installment.

Am I the only one who seems utterly pissed by this news! I read it on Gamespot this morning! Why oh why did Sony do that..... GTHD was one of my reasons for wanting a PS3 soon.... but if the next stop is GT5 then forget it I will probably wait till then and get a PS3 for a way lower price!

Really winds me up how Polyphony Digital seem so useless at doing things! yeah sure the end product it great but it takes so much effort for them to get there..... basically PD thought yeah GTHD wont make us any money so we will can it!...... the idea of having to buy cars to race online was stupid anyway! it should be a given that online is standard with most next gen titles!

I was looking foreward to another prologue as it were..... hopefully people will be able to put the Japaniese download on disk and maybe send it me lol! Or PD may release the download worldwide eventually......

hahaha PD really made a big deal of GTHD (and like having Ferrari)..... now they just look really stupid... maybe its taking them so long to model one car they cant even do 10 for GTHD so they are gonna take till 2009 to get there!

Robin

Yeah, although I agree in part with other posts made here, that one echoes my feelings the most. I won't be getting a PS3 until the price has fallen anyway, and there's no reason to rush out and buy one now. Not sure if I can really be bothered for the sake of PhysX on UT07, I'll just PC it. Gran turismo really was one of the only reasons for me to buy a PS3!

It's funny how many people seem to have the "I only want a PS3 for GT" stance, personaly I don't get that, why place your purchase of a console on one game? It's not like Grant Turismo is the only decent PS3 game on it's way. Personally I'm happy that they're concetrating on GT5, this move also indicates that they wern't happy with the reaction they got over the micro transactions idea which is a good thing imo as well

That's what I reckon part of their decision was to withdraw the game. There was too much confusion over the microtransactions that would result in lost sales. Having got a display and a PC capable of running some games at 2560x1600, not even the handful of PS3 games that run at 1920x1080 will probably look as good as their PC versions so it makes sense for me at least to play most games on the PC. There will still undoubtedly be games on the PS3 that aren't on the PC that are great fun, but for the moment the outlay on a PS3 is too much to make it worth buying. GT3/4 weren't the only games for the PS2 I got, but along side Red Faction 2, they got played by far the most often.

It's funny how many people seem to have the "I only want a PS3 for GT" stance, personaly I don't get that, why place your purchase of a console on one game? It's not like Grant Turismo is the only decent PS3 game on it's way.
Well, I don't see any other game I'd like to play on a console. Everything I play apart from GT, mostly strategy and FPS, are much better on a PC.

Regards
the Interceptor

precisely. I got my PS2 before I was really into PC gaming. When I finally got a system to replace my aging P3 450 I realised what PC games were all about, and never really looked back. unfortunately, despite the technological advances, a PS3 is still looking back for me.

I play allot of games on the PS2 , so PS3 is a must for me , might get an Xbox 360 until the PS3 released here though

BO YA! thank you verry much PD. now take your microtransactions and shove them gingerly up your expansion bay. i wasnt planing on getting a ps3 before GT5 came out anyway, but the canning of GTHD shows that they have realised they cant get 700 dolars for a game. i'm sure they'll still manage to step the boiling frog effect up a little bit for GT5 but at least they realise it's too soon for the microtransactions concept to sell. if GT5 is good enough it might just have to be the last GT i buy.

Am I the only one who seems utterly pissed by this news! I read it on Gamespot this morning! Why oh why did Sony do that..... GTHD was one of my reasons for wanting a PS3 soon.... but if the next stop is GT5 then forget it I will probably wait till then and get a PS3 for a way lower price!
I almost feel the same way. Every time I consider getting a PS3, I think, 'Oh, but Gran Turismo HD was canned.' Sigh.

There are plenty of PS3 games I'll be wanting, like Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Motorstorm, Formula 1... darn, I keep going back to my racing fetish. Still, most of those games aren't coming out till March or later. That does make waiting for a PS3 till it's readily available a bit easier.

^ Agree
Not many racing games can offer from Sony at the moment, although they are very appealling
The wait is too long to be worth the price of PS3 IMO
I would rather get a 360 with a nice pack of racing titles

Good point by inferno. I was bitter about the news at first, but come to think of it, I didn't want PS3 until GT5 came out anyway, so this actually helps me. :lol:

And Dave/live4speed, GT is the only game that matters to me. Because other than GT, my other "must" games are all Nintendo titles. I'm still hoping for WiiStation 3 to come out in the future. :D

I was bitter about the news at first, but come to think of it, I didn't want PS3 until GT5 came out anyway, so this actually helps me. :lol:

Been my plan from the start too. :lol:

I got sucked into Micro****'s relm because of GoW though. :grumpy:

A reason to shell out $600 for a PS3 has been halted. Thank you, Sony for helping me make smart financial decisions. You can tell me, since we've been good pals over the past 10 years...Did my wife have anything to do with this?

Now that my PS2 is looking quite brand-new again, maybe I'll try TT after all (adds to affordable wish list).

A reason to shell out $600 for a PS3 has been halted. Thank you, Sony for helping me make smart financial decisions. You can tell me, since we've been good pals over the past 10 years...Did my wife have anything to do with this?)

Yup I feel the same, Sony, its your loss, I was going to get one ASAP for GTHD... you could have got a tidy few hundred quid off me..... BUT NO! You had to screw it up.....

Yeah sure there are other good games but it takes one in particular usually for people to go and buy the console (like GT and GTA)... Now Sony your gonna to get hardly anything of one of your keenest fans until like 2010 or whenever GT comes out buy which time I will be paying you like £100! (in reality if some other amazing game comes out then I may buy it sooner)...

I bought a PS2 on Japaniese launch day years ago and I was prepared to do the same with a PS3... no looking like so much anymore... helps, now I have more money to spend! :dopey:

Now that my PS2 is looking quite brand-new again, maybe I'll try TT after all (adds to affordable wish list).

Dont forget also Test Drive Unlimited will be out soon which should be an ace game...... plus Rockstar's Bully is out which is also good..... LONG LIVE THE PS2!

Robin

Gran Turismo isn't the game that I'm looking forwards to on the PS3, it's MGS4, it always has been. The MGS series dumps on every other game series from a great height imo, I love them. Gran Turismo is good, but if it's driving sim I'm after I already have plenty of them. The one area GT has always excelled at is content and graphics, it's been above average in other areas but I sometimes wonder if this jack of all trades approach gran Turismo takes is doing more damage than good.

Back