Gran Turismo Racing Kart 125cc Shifter (Tuning and Strategy Guide - International A)

• Thread starter AUAxton
  • 105 comments
Haha Debris, you were entirely right! The Red Bull Karts are the same as the 125cc (non-shifters) and didn't pose an issue for me at all. 👍

@bwanabud
On behalf of everyone, you are very welcome and a Big THANK YOU! for posting the setting that helped you the most! I'm sure it will help others out where my setting doesn't feel as comfortable to use for their race style! :gtpflag:

@Nate2712
Well Done Nate! You are more than welcome! :)
Enjoy the Enzo!

@KilzoneStrife
Don't Give Up Mate! It takes some time to get used to it!

Play around with some tunes to find a comfortable setting and when in doubt, take the kart into a Free Run on the track you are having difficulty with. Have a frustration free session with the kart and see how fast you can take corners... or how far it can slide on the grass / gravel or bounce off the wall of the corner that's getting the better of you! :)

Post back soon and let us all know how you've gone with it! 👍
Haha Debris, you were entirely right! The Red Bull Karts are the same as the 125cc (non-shifters) and didn't pose an issue for me at all. 👍

@bwanabud
On behalf of everyone, you are very welcome and a Big THANK YOU! for posting the setting that helped you the most! I'm sure it will help others out where my setting doesn't feel as comfortable to use for their race style! :gtpflag:

@Nate2712
Well Done Nate! You are more than welcome! :)
Enjoy the Enzo!

@KilzoneStrife
Don't Give Up Mate! It takes some time to get used to it!

Play around with some tunes to find a comfortable setting and when in doubt, take the kart into a Free Run on the track you are having difficulty with. Have a frustration free session with the kart and see how fast you can take corners... or how far it can slide on the grass / gravel or bounce off the wall of the corner that's getting the better of you! :)

Post back soon and let us all know how you've gone with it! 👍
Well got 3 Golds! Finally! But... I didnt get them as a series...
does this affect the trophies/game in any way? Im still busy with Internation A.. so, Im not sure.
Thanks for the advice OP :)

I did not care for the set up, I use max speed setup. 25-30kg ballast at +25.. less squirelly. Better acceleration when I want it. The 3rd leg, I hit as low as 6.3 secs in replay mode. I have managed sub 26 sec laps with a DS3... (25.999- ) not consistant. Just my best. 26's are good. I have managed 8th on first lap as my best. I have managed 3rd by 6th lap. 2nd is still my best fiinish. Right behind him. I think it is doable though. As he has had finish times slower than my best time. Sometimes you gotta pump or feather the gas as well as the break. Keep the S turn tight. Curb jumping sometimes work, but unpredictable if taken too fast.

I haven't been stuck on any races so far in my progression (All Gold in Events, Licences, Coffee Breaks, Missions, Goodwood Festival) in GT6 until I hit the International A - GT Kart Championship 125 Shifter.

Good tune you have posted. I struggle on the GT Arena track.

On another note I would like to know how you got Gold in the very first IA1 license test?

I can only manage to get Silver.

The other race I struggle on is the Goodwill Festival where you drive the Red Bull race car, how did you get Gold in that?

Would anyone be interested in my Shifter Kart hot lap video? It might help you guys to see what gears I use in each turn and my steering and throttle inputs for each corner. I can also post my ballast and my transmission settings if you wish. :)

Someone PLEASE reveal the secret to beating this. Ive tried everything.
And I've totally given up. Until they have driving aids for the karts; I'm selling off my karts!

AND DON'T TELL ME 'NO, THE KARTS DO NOT NEED THEM!' AND 'IT'S RETARDED!' AND THINGS LIKE THAT!!!!

THE KARTS NEED DRIVING AIDS!!!!! END OF STORY!!!!!

GranTurismoArenaLayoutA_zpsd18a221d.jpg

I've had it with the karts and their cheating ramming AI already!

And I've totally given up. Until they have driving aids for the karts; I'm selling off my karts!

AND DON'T TELL ME 'NO, THE KARTS DO NOT NEED THEM!' AND 'IT'S RETARDED!' AND THINGS LIKE THAT!!!!

So I ended up golding them all and winning the championship with a completely stock shifter kart. took fooor ever. but its finally behind me. I can die peacefully knowing that I didn't let those :censored:in karts beat me.
but I agree they should at least have active steering.

I'm starting to feel like this as well. :lol::cheers:

Good tune you have posted. I struggle on the GT Arena track.

On another note I would like to know how you got Gold in the very first IA1 license test?

I can only manage to get Silver.

The other race I struggle on is the Goodwill Festival where you drive the Red Bull race car, how did you get Gold in that?

Hi Tknoff,

Had to dust off the PS3 and load up GT to remember which licence test was the first for IA.
*Just to note, I golded this before the rebalance of MR patch (pre 1.04) - Gave it a go again for reference in this post*

- IA1 - Honda NSX Type R '02 - Cone Slalom 2. (Gold Time: 17.8 - Personal Time: 17.503)
(On my first try back, I got a 17.955 (Silver), On 4th Try I updated my best personal time to: 17.271)

Tips
- Second Gear is enough to complete the Slalom, only shifting into 3rd on your way into the last open area (the last right hand turn of the slalom before it opens to the finish line) and only straighten up enough to not hit the right hand barrier as accelerating in a straight line is always fastest for the exit
- Keep off the brake, this is an acceleration smoothness test, if you have to touch the brakes at all, expect a lower time than normal
- If the back end is starting to slide out, back off the accelerator a touch.
- Try and keep the speed around 95km\h
- As soon as the test starts, point the car straight at the left side of the slalom entry cones and accelerate in a straight line

Secondly, the Goodwood Festival Red Bull... to put it in an easier way, I retried it that night constantly from 11pm Saturday - 6am Sunday with no more than 5 minute breaks in between. Once I got it, I was like "YES! Bed Time!" :lol:

I still can't get used to how fast they are, it's like playing GT in fast forward. No real tricks other than short shifting into 2nd gear as soon as it says "Go". (I did save the replay and am watching it again to describe the tactic).

- GW5-3 - Red Bull X2010 Prototype (Gold Time: 31.0 - Personal Time: 30.965)

Tips
- Shift straight into 2nd gear as soon as it says "GO" for the best launch start and then shift at the redline as per normal
- As you hit the first right hand corner, you should have only just shifted into 5th gear, drop it back to 4th and turn at the same time

For timing sake, think of it like (Go, 2nd revs out, 3rd revs out, 4th revs out, 5th, drop to 4th, turn, accelerate)
Scarily, all this happens within the first 5.1 seconds from the start :nervous:

- Try and keep to the centre line of the first semi-straight (They're fake corners, but if you clip the grass, it'll pull the car onto it and fail you)
- Shift into 5th on the light left hand corner and you should then hit 6th in the right drifting corner
- Try and Brake early into the 4th gear left hand corner, roll around the corner or be slightly under braking still while turning and accelerate up the straight
- Take the sharp right-left in 4th gear trying to keep a little to the left on entry as there's an annoying gap in the right hand wall that has a tendency to register a collision
- Ride 4th gear into the right hand turn and roll around it, once out, accelerate down the straight
- Up-shift into 5th gear and keep it mid-range RPM on the final left hand corner before accelerating to the finish

And to everyone else that has posted, Great Feedback and Congratulations to those that have done it!

Last edited:
Hi Tknoff,

Had to dust off the PS3 and load up GT to remember which licence test was the first for IA.
*Just to note, I golded this before the rebalance of MR patch (pre 1.04) - Gave it a go again for reference in this post*

- IA1 - Honda NSX Type R '02 - Cone Slalom 2. (Gold Time: 17.8 - Personal Time: 17.503)
(On my first try back, I got a 17.955 (Silver), On 4th Try I updated my best personal time to: 17.271)

Tips
- Second Gear is enough to complete the Slalom, only shifting into 3rd on your way into the last open area (the last right hand turn of the slalom before it opens to the finish line) and only straighten up enough to not hit the right hand barrier as accelerating in a straight line is always fastest for the exit
- Keep off the brake, this is an acceleration smoothness test, if you have to touch the brakes at all, expect a lower time than normal
- If the back end is starting to slide out, back off the accelerator a touch.
- Try and keep the speed around 95km\h
- As soon as the test starts, point the car straight at the left side of the slalom entry cones and accelerate in a straight line

Secondly, the Goodwood Festival Red Bull... to put it in an easier way, I retried it that night constantly from 11pm Saturday - 6am Sunday with no more than 5 minute breaks in between. Once I got it, I was like "YES! Bed Time!" :lol:

I still can't get used to how fast they are, it's like playing GT in fast forward. No real tricks other than short shifting into 2nd gear as soon as it says "Go". (I did save the replay and am watching it again to describe the tactic).

- GW5-3 - Red Bull X2010 Prototype (Gold Time: 31.0 - Personal Time: 30.965)

Tips
- Shift straight into 2nd gear as soon as it says "GO" for the best launch start and then shift at the redline as per normal
- As you hit the first right hand corner, you should have only just shifted into 5th gear, drop it back to 4th and turn at the same time

For timing sake, think of it like (Go, 2nd revs out, 3rd revs out, 4th revs out, 5th, drop to 4th, turn, accelerate)
Scarily, all this happens within the first 5.1 seconds from the start :nervous:

- Try and keep to the centre line of the first semi-straight (They're fake corners, but if you clip the grass, it'll pull the car onto it and fail you)
- Shift into 5th on the light left hand corner and you should then hit 6th in the right drifting corner
- Try and Brake early into the 4th gear left hand corner, roll around the corner or be slightly under braking still while turning and accelerate up the straight
- Take the sharp right-left in 4th gear trying to keep a little to the left on entry as there's an annoying gap in the right hand wall that has a tendency to register a collision
- Ride 4th gear into the right hand turn and roll around it, once out, accelerate down the straight
- Up-shift into 5th gear and keep it mid-range RPM on the final left hand corner before accelerating to the finish

And to everyone else that has posted, Great Feedback and Congratulations to those that have done it!

Good reply, thanks for that!

I did it...finally and with a DS3 too. Now I have all the stars and collected my Enzo. I did a few things different, I usually play with sensitivity at 2, but turned that to -1 and found it helped reduce spins. I actually had the most trouble with Willow Springs, kept clipping curbs and going into some real nasty spins. I suspended the series after each race so I could rage quit w/o losing progress, I only needed 3rd on GT Arena for the gold so figured I would get that fairly easy and then go back in a few days for the final star. I only rage quit once on GT Arena, with your ballast settings found the kart to slide too much for my liking, I adjusted it to 12kg at -30 and was able to get 3rd easily on that first try so I decided to run it again and was able to win it taking the lead on the 3rd to last turn. I also was able to get the miraculous laps trophy on that race which made that W even sweeter. Now I can banish my karts to the stockyard.

FINALLY!

I returned to this evil series and finally won at GT Arena, and reran the championship for gold. All karts are now officially banished to the stockyard.

Now I just need to gold the Super missions and stupid coffee breaks for 100%.

Sigh.

Another top tip for the third race: Put about 35 kg additional weight on the back, race some time and get used to the kart. If you do constant laps (you should not spin due to the weight) and get second to fifth regularly: reduce the weight to 15 kg. Makes a huge difference!

Hey Jayson,

Patch 1.05 Just got released. Looks like you got your wish mate :)

- Traction Control and Skid Force Recovery is now available on Racing Karts

• Tuning options for karts have been expanded
- It is now possible to adjust the values of [Traction Control] and [Skid Force Recovery] in the [Driving Options] screen for karts.
- It is now possible to adjust the value of [Brake Balance] in the [Car Settings] Screen. For standard karts, only the rear can be adjusted while for shifter karts both the front and rear can be modified.

Last edited:
Hey Jayson,

Patch 1.05 Just got released. Looks like you got your wish mate :)

- Traction Control and Skid Force Recovery is now available on Racing Karts
THERE IS A GOD!!!!!!!!

AND AFTER ALL THE PAIN I'VE FINALLY CLEARED THIS DAMN EVENT!!!!!

Last edited:
So Any new tips/tunes for the shifter karts at willow springs and the gt arena ?.. I'm still struggling to get better than silver at willow and 10th in the arena..
Any help? .. Please !!..

Thx AuAxton, CLEARED & GOLD Last night after 4th tries. Actually on R2 & 3 try not being to eager to overtake. Once over curbs sent you flying onto Looooooooong stretch of gravel or wall. Patience & Practice is the Keyword. learn when to Stop or slow down and slide through the corners. Lastly look at where & how the AI stop (tail light on the back rest). cheers...

Tnx AuAxton, I am an expat Aussie living in Thailand. I have been trying to get passed these darn karts to move on to the next level but have been stuck at the Grand Turismo Arena for a few weeks now. But all that has changed thanks to your help and info I passed on the first try. Hoorrrraayyyy

I used a different tactic. Of course brake hard on straight b4 turn 1 feather turn 2 brake for turn 3. (hence S turn) brake b4 turn 4,5 feather 6 and gently push to full throttle a little ways then feather through 7. Full throttle and repeat. yep lots of braking there my friend. Settings. auto set 112 final 4.950.
body 6kg ballest +30 hence back. traction control = 1 skid force on. I don't think skid force helps on karts but thats me. Took lean inside turn 5 held on 4 lead 0.92 aprox win margin gold at last.

Somethin like that on driving tactic

Last edited:
After almost infinitive numbers of tryouts I have finally golden this event (all 3 races and overall winner). I am using DS3 controller.
RACE 1
This is not so difficult. I slided top speed up to 200 Kmh. Controller sensitivity set to 3, and TC to 1.
RACE 2
This one gave me some troubles. In my case speed remained to 200 Kmh, controller sensitivity also on 3, but I have increased TC to 3. Gave just 5 Kg ballast and putted it at -35 position. By doing this cart was easier to handle on strong braking and quick accelerating.
RACE 3
KILLER. I have tried this one so many times without a success that I was on a verge of breaking my controller :-).
Here I slided top speed to 150 Kmh, increased TC to 5 and also increased additional weight to 9 (-35 position), to gain 49:51 weight distribution. After this is just off course practice, and win is there!
Hope I have helped :-)

Man, finally got 1st on race 3, sheesh I hate these carts!
I used
13 kg's in the rear +50 position
Engine overhaul for 583pp
Trans at 81mph
Brakes rear 10 front 1
Traction control 4
Skid rec on

See the benefit of aids for karts now? I applaud those who take the game seriously but do spare a thought for the casual gamer and those who can't play without aids, thks!

For the first and second races, I found that the following was perfect, handled like a dream, didn't spin out at all, and kept ahead:
Ballast weight 6kg
Ballast position -39%
Max speed 200kmh
No changes to gear ratios
Traction control 5, everything else off
0 steering sensitivity

Last edited:
Back