Gran Turismo Sport Game Update Arrives March 25

I never said that. Read the two passages in my reply again. I said I'm getting way more unfair penalties. Not more penalties all together.
Of course before we had more penalties. That's why I wrote I was glad they were there, so people would stop bumping into each other that much, they would keep the distance in some way, more than with a more forgiving penalty system.

Ah ok, I still don’t understand how you’re getting more unfair penalties, but thanks for the explanation. I still don’t see how the old system was any better? It still results in the victim getting the penalty more often than not, so what does that teach anyone?

I’d like to keep the pens as they are now, but go back to the old SR downs, heavy SR downs and hard to regain SR. The bumpers will fall down the SR ladder and never be seen again. While the clean drivers can race penalty free.

Last edited:
Ah ok, I still don’t understand how you’re getting more unfair penalties, but that’s for the explanation. I still don’t see how the old system was any better? It still results in the victim getting the penalty more often than not, so what does that teach anyone?

I’d like to keep the pens as they are now, but go back to the old SR downs, heavy SR downs and hard to regain SR. The bumpers will fall down the SR ladder and never be seen again. While the clean drivers can race penalty free.

If there's some sort of happy medium, I'd like this. I don't want all side contact to result in an SR down, or light taps to the bumper resulting in SR down either.

I wonder if we keep it similar, but make it so you gain less SR every race -- if the people who manage to get penalties will take longer to come back.

Last edited:
If there's some sort of happy medium, I'd like this. I don't want all side contact to result in an SR down, or light taps to the bumper resulting in SR down either.

I wonder if we keep it similar, but make it so you gain less SR every race -- the people who manage to get penalties will take longer to come back.

Honestly, after 3 years, it doesn’t seem like a happy medium is possible. We just bounce from super strict to non existent and back every time. :confused:

Ah ok, I still don’t understand how you’re getting more unfair penalties, but that’s for the explanation.
I added more details to my reply. It's unfair when you're the victim and you get the penalty and the other person gets nothing, or when the person pushes you out of the track, you lose precious seconds and places and the other person gets zero penalties...zero, for practically ruining your entire race.
The best example is last week's B race on Red Bull Ring: Corner 3, Schlossgold. You start braking, the person behind you bumps you on purpose and you end un in the dirt that slows the hell out of you. To get back on track you lose from 5 to 10 seconds, and about 8 to 10 places.
As I said it happened at least 3 times last week and none of those times the griever received ANY penalty for that incident. It happened repeatedly, which means people were aware of what they were doing and exploited this thing on purpose. And I was being matched in B-S lobbies. People kept their ratings because the penalty system didn't recognize the incident on that specific corner.

latest

I still don’t see how the old system was any better? It still results in the victim getting the penalty more often than not, so what does that teach anyone?
I don't remember it being that frustrating before the patch. At least when I was the victim both of us would get a penalty, not only me (that's the unfair part, the most frustrating one).

Not going to lie, in the higher splits this penalty system works extremely well. People can actually race each other closely.

Have to agree. In the previous system every single race multiple people would have their race ruined by bs penalties. In the new system I've seen exactly one unfair penalty given, and that was such a cluster**** of an incident you could forgive the penalty system for not getting it right.

Honestly, after 3 years, it doesn’t seem like a happy medium is possible. We just bounce from super strict to non existent and back every time. :confused:

Here’s my crazy idea: they should calculate the penalty in the “strict algorithm” but then only apply it in x% of cases. Like... 30%? 50%?

Just enough to make it so that people take a chance of racing closely without being terrified of a penalty for minor contact... but also enough to avoid shameless rammers

That has always been a problem with the penalty system. The people at a lower DR who are more likely to cause collisions are treated favourably, it's all the wrong way around.

Yup, I remember at one point you could almost figure out who’d get the pen from a collision based on who’s DR was higher. The higher DR driver always got the pen, weather it was there fault or not.

Prime examples of the old system, how can you race like this?

Last edited:
Would love some PS5 enhancements. Doesn't need to be anything big, just resolution bump to Native 4K with 60FPS replays is all I want.
I think its not possible in bc mode. I don't know one example of bc game on ps5 running higher resolution, only if its dynamic res then on ps5 will be more often in higher spectrum or devs can unlock 30 cap but gt sport is already rock steady 60 and don't use dynamic res. Only possibility I see is 60fps on replays on ps5.

Last edited:
Not going to lie, in the higher splits this penalty system works extremely well. People can actually race each other closely.

That has always been a problem with the penalty system. The people at a lower DR who are more likely to cause collisions are treated favourably, it's all the wrong way around.
It feels as if most of the gameplay/race regulation updates that have happened to this game are all very naive on PD's part. Almost all versions of the penalty system should work, if everyone races fairly and honestly. The current penalty system is a good example of that, where the previous one wasn't since you could bump someone side by side and get 3 seconds for it.

Other things that have been introduced like tyre regulations are the same. If everyone just follows it then it'll level the field. Oh hold on, people are putting different tyre sets on the front and the back? That's not what we meant, we'd better change it. Then there was that farce of a race at Laguna Seca - oh hold on, there are people whose car performance is so over-powered that they can win races without pitting and taking the penalty? That's not what we meant, we'd better change it.

Systems like these are never going to be perfect purely because of the volume of people stretching it. You might do everything PD thinks you should do and still fall foul somewhere, fine. For the tens of thousands of people who play this regularly, for the wildly different ability levels, for the mistakes people will make, fine, You can't make a system that will allow for all of that.

PD's problem seems to me to have consistently underestimated the amount of ****housery people will perform online, and they've never seemed to be able to combat it. Their responses only ever seem to be to go from one wild extreme to the next, and after the game's been out for nearly three and a half years I wonder about people think GT7's going to come along and build on all of this and get it right, because it almost certainly isn't.

Because theres outstanding content they promised and GT7 delayed?

Doesn't really matter. All PD are going to look at, is adding any content going to make us money via significant further sales from GTS or improve our overall stock to increase future sales? The answer to both is going to be no.

You and millions of others are already going to buy GT7 no matter what.

There is zero incentive for PD To add further content to this game at this stage in its life.
Sadly true. There is however incentive from the manufactures and sponsors.

The hesitation from Manufacturers, sponsors, circuits is frustrating. They are the ones who sat idle for years wondering, hmmmm I wonder if this sim thing is going to take off? And now they see it is,
the first thing they do is start a licensing war.

The sim race world changed this past year. Big acquisitions. In my opinion with a single purpose, to hold a Championship more significant than the GT FIA World Finals.

Unfortunately this probably will mean the money gets thrown around to the highest bidder and in the end the consumer gets some things here, some things there, etc... A lot like Netflix, Amazon, Disney.

Another thing we can blame the pandemic for. Sim racing may have got too popular too fast.

Good one! Seems like a long time ago but I remember!

Well I'm hoping that there is some change to the SR so that all the idiots that have moved up to cause chaos in SR-S after the penalty system changed can now **** off back where they came from and let those of us who want to race cleanly get on with it again.

That's what I'm hoping for. Overall the penality seems to work well. Now we just have to give some -SR for any contact. Like -3 for each car at every contact. That way, people who rely to much on other cars to make the corner will slowly drag out of S.

When a race starts, the game doesn't take you out of Auto Drive and the game just keeps driving for you. Only way to get out of it is to quit the race.

I had this bug but it turned out to be an issue with my ISP.
GT sports network code seems fragile in terms of up dynamic ip pools and my understanding is some isps use up ranges that work “less well” for psn in general. My isp at the time was good value but I think they cheaped out. I experimented for weeks with different router configs, wired vs wired internet, no difference.

I changed isp when I read about this potential psn dynamic ip pool issue and immediately the auto-drive bug was gone.

The issue was not detected By the network environment check so extremely difficult to know about.

I Hope sharing this helps others.

Doesn't really matter. All PD are going to look at, is adding any content going to make us money via significant further sales from GTS or improve our overall stock to increase future sales? The answer to both is going to be no.

You and millions of others are already going to buy GT7 no matter what.

I don’t “like” Samus reply because it implies we are sheep. But he/she is dead right.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tidgney did a video with some great suggestions for circuits that exist in real life and are not in GTS (Catalunya National and Club circuits, Suzuka West etc) but the environment and track exist as part of the game already as part of the existing track. I don't know much about developing games but...surely it must be easier to give us a few of those to tide us over than making a new track, which I don't expect at this stage.

Maybe we're finally getting that FIA Digital License :lol:. But my money is on a Yaris with a leather interior.

Unpopular opinion: the best penalty system was when they just turned it off completely.

Yup, I remember at one point you could almost figure out who’d get the pen from a collision based on who’s DR was higher. The higher DR driver always got the pen, weather it was there fault or not.

This is the reason they should get rid of the stupid DR resets. It almost encourages the dirty drivers knowing they will get reset and enjoy easy wins and be able to get away with more on the track. If they only give SR downs, then all these clowns with high DR would get lumped together with one another in SR B or below lobbies until they learn to race properly.

Hard to argue that races in lower lobbies (B or less) are more often bumper car races now, than before the pen fix*
Multiple car pile ups, with everyone pointing the finger at the car that contacted them first, without even viewing a replay
/rant

snc
I think its not possible in bc mode. I don't know one example of bc game on ps5 running higher resolution, only if its dynamic res then on ps5 will be more often in higher spectrum or devs can unlock 30 cap but gt sport is already rock steady 60 and don't use dynamic res. Only possibility I see is 60fps on replays on ps5.
The replays are in 60fps if you’re on Pro, set to 1080 and prioritise frame rate

After tonight's glitchy cheats in the FIA race, a little bit of adjustment to the penalty system wouldn't go amiss. But I don't expect it will change much. Not least because the update is coming hot on the heels of the last one so have PD really had time to analyse the data and tweak the code?

Back