Gran Turismo Sport has Sold Around 3.3 Million Copies Worldwide

no one can really say "no you didn't" but I also wouldn't echo his sentiment.
What was my sentiment again? Asking because you seemed to read entirely into something that wasn't even close to being said.

Glad the sales were poor, especially when you consider that this was the first launch in a new platform. Call me evil, and this pains me as well since I am (or depending on the future, maybe was?) a big GT fan, but it's what happens when:

- You completely ignore the "collectors-type" fans.
- You completely ignore the "offline-type" fans.
- Sony makes you pay a fee for online...
- The car/track list is very short and full of stupid fantasy cars/tracks.

Let's hope that GT returns to its glory days with the next release.
3.3 million is not poor.

3.3 million is not poor.
It is incredibly poor by GT standards.
For life time sales, yes.

To add to this sequence: outside of a handful of exceptions — looking your way, GTAV — games usually sell the majority of their numbers in the first few months.

Here's a post about the rough sales figures trend. Sport is well past the two month mark, which typically means it's also sold over half its eventual lifetime sales.

Obviously the future isn't a sure thing, but going by trends, I wouldn't necessarily bet on a GT6-rivaling figure by the end, nevermind the eight-digit totals from the rest of the franchise.

That doesn't mean Sport is a failure — we have no idea what the internal targets were — but it's worth tempering expectations.

Does that change the fact that it’s sold over 3 million copies?

Didn’t think so

I believe the point being made is despite a price cut very soon in the game's life, it hasn't matched previous installments in terms of totals.

But the entire genre isn't selling at what it used to, and GT Sport is well within the top three this generation in terms of sales. It's still a major player in the racing scene, though I can't imagine many people would argue that.

It is incredibly poor by GT standards.

It's really poor especially since this game has been available in sales since it was barely a month old here and less than half price since January and I suspect in most other countries it was similar.

Also if you look at the trophy info it paints a pretty bleak picture for the game:

47.2% have the trophy for acquiring 10 cars. That's more than half who haven't even bothered to do the 26 miles a day for 10 days to get the daily workout car.

72.3% have the trophy for completing their first daily workout. So over a quarter of people haven't even bothered driving 26 miles in a day.

42.6% Have the trophy for watching the racing etiquette videos. So more than half of people who've installed and started GT Sport havent bothered with Sport Mode.

37.5% have the trophy for reaching level 15. So not far from two thirds didnt even play it enough to reach a level I did on my second day playing the game.

If you want an indication of how many people still played GT Sport after a while:

18.5% of players have the trophy for reaching level 25 (not a particularly hard thing to do) so over 80% haven't played it enough to reach this easily achievable goal.

They can talk about sales figures all they like but to me it looks like a small fraction of the people who bought it are actually still playing it.

[QUOTE="Stephen220378, post: 12331424, member: 145843]
They can talk about sales figures all they like but to me it looks like a small fraction of the people who bought it are actually still playing it.[/QUOTE]

But yo put it on on perspective all The ganes trend to loss a hugh number on The player base after The first days, even games as call of duty suffer from this issue

But yo put it on on perspective all The ganes trend to loss a hugh number on The player base after The first days, even games as call of duty suffer from this issue

Can't really compare it to CoD as driving games especially sim or sim based ones are a niche market where buyers know what they're buying it for and generally stick with it for long periods of time, shooters are ten a penny and very much a leading genre in the industry, its natural that a certain games player base depletes over time as players have plenty of alternatives to choose from.

However, the trophy info suggests that less than half the people who've played GT Sport havent even acquired 10 cars and half also didnt bother looking at Sport Mode at all, that's not a player count depleting over time, that's people almost immediately deciding they don't like the game and not continuing with it. With the low percentage as well, under 20%, who have reached level 25 it suggests that as well as over half of players deciding it basically wasn't good enough to play for a week or two that a further 30% left it before putting in a fairly moderate amount of time.

There really is no excusing figures like that.

@SlipZtrEm GT games have always had strong legs though (mainly because they're the biggest racer on the platform and bundling). It'll most likely end up between 5-6 million I reckon which isn't bad at all for an online focused racer.

@SlipZtrEm GT games have always had strong legs though (mainly because they're the biggest racer on the platform and bundling). It'll most likely end up between 5-6 million I reckon which isn't bad at all for an online focused racer.

GT5 — the biggest franchise seller in the last decade — sold roughly half its final tally in the first two weeks. I even linked to that in the last post. Looking at all historic evidence, GT Sport has already sold well over half what its final lifetime sales will be. That may change depending on what (if any) major changes/relaunches/Spec 2.0s/etc happen, but going by trends, it's entirely possible Sport won't catch GT6.

There's also very little chance the game will be massively bundled from here on out, as it approaches its first birthday.

Yes there's little chance of GTS getting any headway now.

The only way I see it would be a big ass Spec 2.0 thing with a new console bundle so its forced onto new users.

I'm gone, until I see maybe at least a dozen new tracks. Not added layouts of existing ones. I'm gone until I see weather. It's in one challenge, it can be done. It's just PD milking us for all they can, dribbling out features they already have to distract us from the elephant in the room. Virtually no tracks, hardly any cars. I'm gone until time of day returns (not static BS).

Sales figures have NOT equated to content. Somebody is getting very rich at PD, because other games are putting out far more content with a fraction of the sales. The physics and tire model still sucks, the AI haven't improved at all, all this game is is a very pretty shadow of its former glory. An old hag in a party dress...

But the closer you look, the uglier she gets.

In the meantime, PC2 has tracks galore, cars galore, full weather and time, no vacuum cleaners, and the sheep are still playing GTS. Makes you wonder if it all isn't just an addiction, not a game...

BTW, Imarobot... If you think GTA and Rally games and arcade games are worth mentioning as competition for GT5, you are grasping at straws. The only competition that GT5 faced was Need for Speed Shift and Shift2, both undermined by bad netcode, and Shift2's unfixed PS3 bugs. The day you can shoot someone from a car in a PD game, you can bring GTA into it! Forza and others mentioned were either PC or XBox games. Gran Turismo was always a PS racing game. No open world, just tracks. No demolition derby figure eights, no driving around the Outback in a 4X4... Racing. Pure and simple. IMHO, there was ONE competitor to GT5/P... Shift.

There are two VERY capable competitors to GT now. Both of whom went more realistic, not less (as in Shift's far more arcade handling). If you wanted a game like GT used to be, these are the ones. And PC2 is head and shoulders above everything, from a content point of view...

I'm gone, until I see maybe at least a dozen new tracks. Not added layouts of existing ones. I'm gone until I see weather. It's in one challenge, it can be done. It's just PD milking us for all they can, dribbling out features they already have to distract us from the elephant in the room. Virtually no tracks, hardly any cars. I'm gone until time of day returns (not static BS).

Sales figures have NOT equated to content. Somebody is getting very rich at PD, because other games are putting out far more content with a fraction of the sales. The physics and tire model still sucks, the AI haven't improved at all, all this game is is a very pretty shadow of its former glory. An old hag in a party dress...

But the closer you look, the uglier she gets.

In the meantime, PC2 has tracks galore, cars galore, full weather and time, no vacuum cleaners, and the sheep are still playing GTS. Makes you wonder if it all isn't just an addiction, not a game...

BTW, Imarobot... If you think GTA and Rally games and arcade games are worth mentioning as competition for GT5, you are grasping at straws. The only competition that GT5 faced was Need for Speed Shift and Shift2, both undermined by bad netcode, and Shift2's unfixed PS3 bugs. The day you can shoot someone from a car in a PD game, you can bring GTA into it! Forza and others mentioned were either PC or XBox games. Gran Turismo was always a PS racing game. No open world, just tracks. No demolition derby figure eights, no driving around the Outback in a 4X4... Racing. Pure and simple. IMHO, there was ONE competitor to GT5/P... Shift.

There are two VERY capable competitors to GT now. Both of whom went more realistic, not less (as in Shift's far more arcade handling). If you wanted a game like GT used to be, these are the ones. And PC2 is head and shoulders above everything, from a content point of view...

But PC2 is pretty bad on PS4. Sound is broken and FFB is unbelieveably inconsistent. I keep on trying it (and I bought the collectors edition) and can't believe how badly it behaves. Just tried a McLaren 570S and it swerved me into the barrier every time I tried to move.

CJ

It's really poor especially since this game has been available in sales since it was barely a month old here and less than half price since January and I suspect in most other countries it was similar.

Also if you look at the trophy info it paints a pretty bleak picture for the game:

47.2% have the trophy for acquiring 10 cars. That's more than half who haven't even bothered to do the 26 miles a day for 10 days to get the daily workout car.

72.3% have the trophy for completing their first daily workout. So over a quarter of people haven't even bothered driving 26 miles in a day.

42.6% Have the trophy for watching the racing etiquette videos. So more than half of people who've installed and started GT Sport havent bothered with Sport Mode.

37.5% have the trophy for reaching level 15. So not far from two thirds didnt even play it enough to reach a level I did on my second day playing the game.

If you want an indication of how many people still played GT Sport after a while:

18.5% of players have the trophy for reaching level 25 (not a particularly hard thing to do) so over 80% haven't played it enough to reach this easily achievable goal.

They can talk about sales figures all they like but to me it looks like a small fraction of the people who bought it are actually still playing it.

53.8% have the trophy for buying their first car. I expected that number to be higher considering the introduction of GT League and more content in the months after launch.

3.4 millions in only 6 months are a very good number, especially for an online spin-off chapter like GTS
Eh it’s still a full fledged, GT title. It’s not like this is unexpected for it.

53.8% have the trophy for buying their first car. I expected that number to be higher considering the introduction of GT League and more content in the months after launch.

That along with the other stats suggest that around half the people who've owned GT Sport just gave up on it almost immediately, there was probably a lot of people who saw the lack of launch content and traded it in while they could still get a decent price for it.

The funny one for me is only 42.6% have the racing etiquette video trophy, over half the people who've played the game haven't even bothered with Sport Mode, the main mode PD based the entire game around.

I'd say GT Sport has pretty much been a failed experiment and can't see Sony allowing PD to make anything else except more traditional GT games from now on.

That along with the other stats suggest that around half the people who've owned GT Sport just gave up on it almost immediately, there was probably a lot of people who saw the lack of launch content and traded it in while they could still get a decent price for it.
I had the same impression, between the low trophies' %s, the game being on sale every two weeks or so, the price cut (dropped to 40€ at Gamestop; base version of AC is 30€ and Forza 7 is still at 70€ ...) and lots of used copies at GS and MediaMarket.

The funny one for me is only 42.6% have the racing etiquette video trophy, over half the people who've played the game haven't even bothered with Sport Mode, the main mode PD based the entire game around.

I'd say GT Sport has pretty much been a failed experiment and can't see Sony allowing PD to make anything else except more traditional GT games from now on.

I'd say it's a bit unfair to judge whether if a game is a success or a failure based of off trophy data alone. Not sure how accurate the data is on Kudosprime, but according to that website, the number of daily active players in Sport Mode hovers around 40,000 players a day, which is a healthy number for a racing game. At the end of the day, the most important number for GT Sport will be total sales, and as of right now, it's too early to determine if GT Sport will surpass its predecessors in sales or end up selling less than them.

I'd say it's a bit unfair to judge whether if a game is a success or a failure based of off trophy data alone. Not sure how accurate the data is on Kudosprime, but according to that website, the number of daily active players in Sport Mode hovers around 40,000 players a day, which is a healthy number for a racing game. At the end of the day, the most important number for GT Sport will be total sales, and as of right now, it's too early to determine if GT Sport will surpass its predecessors in sales or end up selling less than them.

It's trophy data that accurately tracks the percentage of players who actually play the game up to certain points, the trophy info I posted are from trophies earned through natural game progression, you don't have to do anything to earn them except just play the game and they paint an accurate picture of what point people gave up on the game.

So let's look at the 40,000 players per day, we'll just take that as a fairly accurate number as I'm sure the website has done its homework and won't be far off the mark. If GT Sport has sold 3.3 million copies I'd say that it will be maybe be closer to 4m people who have owned GT Sport at some point in total when you factor in pre-owned copies which don't show up on sales stats, regardless even if it's not that high it won't make a difference to the next stat. Those 40,000 players using Sport Mode make up 1% of the total players who have owned GT Sport, so in other words one tiny percent of everyone who has played GT Sport are actively playing the mode the entire game was built around 6 months after launch and even after free updates and DLC, I call that far from healthy.

It's trophy data that accurately tracks the percentage of players who actually play the game up to certain points, the trophy info I posted are from trophies earned through natural game progression, you don't have to do anything to earn them except just play the game and they paint an accurate picture of what point people gave up on the game.

So let's look at the 40,000 players per day, we'll just take that as a fairly accurate number as I'm sure the website has done its homework and won't be far off the mark. If GT Sport has sold 3.3 million copies I'd say that it will be maybe be closer to 4m people who have owned GT Sport at some point in total when you factor in pre-owned copies which don't show up on sales stats, regardless even if it's not that high it won't make a difference to the next stat. Those 40,000 players using Sport Mode make up 1% of the total players who have owned GT Sport, so in other words one tiny percent of everyone who has played GT Sport are actively playing the mode the entire game was built around 6 months after launch and even after free updates and DLC, I call that far from healthy.

For most titles, the active playerbase that plays the game's multiplayer on a daily or weekly basis is a small fraction of the game's total sales. The same website indicates that there have been 644,400 active players (could be slightly lower due to duplicate accounts) in GT Sport over the past week. Comparing other sim/simcade racing titles to GT Sport, the number of players on Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa's multiplayer are significantly smaller than GT Sport's. The only other sim/simcade title that probably has a comparable multiplayer base size is Forza 7, and they are experiencing huge issues with their online multiplayer.

To call it a failed experiment at this point is extreme, when GT Sport is the only sim racing game that offers a competent multiplayer/matchmaking system other than iRacing (which has an high barrier of entry), and that the game is still far away from achieving its total lifetime sales.

For most titles, the active playerbase that plays the game's multiplayer on a daily or weekly basis is a small fraction of the game's total sales. The same website indicates that there have been 644,400 active players (could be slightly lower due to duplicate accounts) in GT Sport over the past week. Comparing other sim/simcade racing titles to GT Sport, the number of players on Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa's multiplayer are significantly smaller than GT Sport's. The only other sim/simcade title that probably has a comparable multiplayer base size is Forza 7, and they are experiencing huge issues with their online multiplayer.

To call it a failed experiment at this point is extreme, when GT Sport is the only sim racing game that offers a competent multiplayer/matchmaking system other than iRacing (which has an high barrier of entry), and that the game is still far away from achieving its total lifetime sales.

The 660,000 is right around what the trophy information for players reaching level 25 suggests, that 15 to18% of total players are still playing the game if you take the total figure including pre owned users as 3.5 to 4 million. You can't compare it to Project Cars 2 or Assetto Corsa, both sell far less as they are targetted at an even smaller group than GT due to their sim nature, they also don't have the brand name or 20 year history that Gran Turismo does, also AC is years old now. Forza again can't be compared as it sells far less on a console that's sold far less than the PS4 plus it's replaced every 2 years so even Microsoft know it's not a title that has much longevity. You're comparing active player figures with games that sell far less, both AC and Project Cars 2 will be lucky to hit 2 million sales over their entire lifespan until they're replaced by sequels.

Fact is that it's terrible statistics that only 15 - 18% of people still play GT Sport after 6 months and even worse that only 1% play the mode that the game was built around, there's simply no defending figures like that. The game has been criticised since launch for a number of things, in fact it was criticised even before launch, reviews were underwhelming, players have deserted it, it has been a failed experiment and it won't get any better. I honestly wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if Sony announce GT7 at E3 this year.

In the eyes of Polyphony, it's a full fledged GT title.
In the eyes of players, it seems not to be the case. Sells and price tag speak.

It's a full on GT title, it went into development right after (or possibly before) GT6 launched and was developed by PD, the main GT development studio. Spin offs are usually given to another developer (Battlefield Hardline, MW Remastered, Forza Horizon, NFS Shift/Shift 2) to do the majority of work on while the main studio continues working on the main series. People saying GT Sport is a spin off title are just making excuses for it

3.4 millions in only 6 months are a very good number, especially for an online spin-off chapter like GTS

Not really, the new God of War passed 3 million in under a week, now that is a very good number.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/3/17314880/god-of-war-ps4-sales-record

Granted they aren’t exactly terrible numbers either. But compared to other first party titles, Gran Turismo has certainly been dethroned as the top Sony exclusive.

I also can't help but wonder what the future holds for GT. With God of War, The Last of Us and Uncharted becoming insanely popular and GT's declining sales I wouldn't be shocked to see PD get scaled back as Sony may just not feel they need the franchise as much as they once did.

If GT Sport has sold 3.3 million copies I'd say that it will be maybe be closer to 4m people who have owned GT Sport at some point in total when you factor in pre-owned copies which don't show up on sales stats, regardless even if it's not that high it won't make a difference to the next stat. Those 40,000 players using Sport Mode make up 1% of the total players who have owned GT Sport, so in other words one tiny percent of everyone who has played GT Sport are actively playing the mode the entire game was built around 6 months after launch and even after free updates and DLC, I call that far from healthy.
About 4.2m players, according to KudosPrime's stats (75% of them never finished a race in Sport Mode, while 6% did more than 20 races).

Back