Gran Turismo Sport has Sold Around 3.3 Million Copies Worldwide

About 4.2m players, according to KudosPrime's stats (75% of them never finished a race in Sport Mode, while 6% did more than 20 races).

This is why I'm absolutely confused how people can still defend GT Sport when the figures are there for all to see and don't think GT Sport has been a failed experiment. This is a game built around Sport Mode, it's what the game was made for and only around a quarter of a million people have actually raced 20+ times while 3.1 million couldn't even be bothered finishing a race.

It's really poor especially since this game has been available in sales since it was barely a month old here and less than half price since January and I suspect in most other countries it was similar.

Also if you look at the trophy info it paints a pretty bleak picture for the game:

47.2% have the trophy for acquiring 10 cars. That's more than half who haven't even bothered to do the 26 miles a day for 10 days to get the daily workout car.

72.3% have the trophy for completing their first daily workout. So over a quarter of people haven't even bothered driving 26 miles in a day.

42.6% Have the trophy for watching the racing etiquette videos. So more than half of people who've installed and started GT Sport havent bothered with Sport Mode.

37.5% have the trophy for reaching level 15. So not far from two thirds didnt even play it enough to reach a level I did on my second day playing the game.

If you want an indication of how many people still played GT Sport after a while:

18.5% of players have the trophy for reaching level 25 (not a particularly hard thing to do) so over 80% haven't played it enough to reach this easily achievable goal.

They can talk about sales figures all they like but to me it looks like a small fraction of the people who bought it are actually still playing it.

Isn't this same for every game or every racing game for that matter ? I think Forza7 and Pcars2 would not even have reached 2million.

I do not know how many more updates they have planned but given the reviews and no proper SP mode this is pretty good. I hope they do analyze the stats and according make the next GT game. Big SP mode is very important IMHO. Having damage and dynamic TOD, weather should make into next game for sure

This is why I'm absolutely confused how people can still defend GT Sport when the figures are there for all to see and don't think GT Sport has been a failed experiment. This is a game built around Sport Mode, it's what the game was made for and only around a quarter of a million people have actually raced 20+ times while 3.1 million couldn't even be bothered finishing a race.

People don't like playing Ranked game modes, this isn't new. I'm not surprised at all that no one is using Sport mode.

Isn't this same for every game or every racing game for that matter ? I think Forza7 and Pcars2 would not even have reached 2million.

I do not know how many more updates they have planned but given the reviews and no proper SP mode this is pretty good. I hope they do analyze the stats and according make the next GT game. Big SP mode is very important IMHO. Having damage and dynamic TOD, weather should make into next game for sure

Project Cars 2 isn't a big name franchise with 20+ years behind it nor does it have Sony's money and marketing backing it, Forza has never been close to the sales of GT and Forza 7 is on a console that's sold considerably less than the PS4, it's no real surprise than both have and will sell less.

You say it's pretty good but the point is GT Sport has barely been sold at full price since launch, I got GT Sport new for £17 two and a half months after it launched for £45 to £50 here depending where you looked and the figures of people actually still playing the game compared to the number of people who have played it isn't good at all. I'm pretty sure they will be paying a fair bit of attention to the stats and if Sony have any sense they'll be giving PD the kick up the arse they need.

People don't like playing Ranked game modes, this isn't new. I'm not surprised at all that no one is using Sport mode.

Like I said, GT Sport is a failed experiment. Given the fact PD threw in a hastily added half arsed campaign mode soon after launch I think they know it is themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because context matters every time statistics are provided. Currently, racing games do not have as much longevity in terms of playerbase compared to other genres, and GT Sport is no exception. As previously mentioned, the active playerbase that plays the game's multiplayer on a daily or weekly basis is a small fraction of the game's total sales for most games, and the more modes that are provided, the more spread out the playerbase will be. What other racing game has a multiplayer mode that is active and is organized as Sport Mode? The only one that comes to mind for me is iRacing.

Like I said, GT Sport is a failed experiment. Given the fact PD threw in a hastily added half arsed campaign mode soon after launch I think they know it is themselves.
Very likely. About the weekly active players, here's a graph from KudosPrime:

foie1yV.jpg

Peak is at 263k players between 10/22 and 10/28. Last recorded week (05/6-12) shows 101'400 players.

Because context matters every time statistics are provided. Currently, racing games do not have as much longevity in terms of playerbase compared to other genres, and GT Sport is no exception. As previously mentioned, the active playerbase that plays the game's multiplayer on a daily or weekly basis is a small fraction of the game's total sales for most games, and the more modes that are provided, the more spread out the playerbase will be. What other racing game has a multiplayer mode that is active and is organized as Sport Mode? The only one that comes to mind for me is iRacing.

How do you know that racing games longevity isn't as good as other genres? A few posts ago you were saying that the drop in playerbase is comparable to 'most titles', you were also saying the playerbase was healthy and now you're saying that driving games have no longevity and that's why it's clearly not healthy at all, make up your mind. It sounds to me that you're just looking for excuses. Are you trying to tell me that PD and Sony know and expect that their game will only be played by a tiny percentage of people 6 months after launch? That's clearly not the case since they don't attempt to do a Forza and replace it with a sequel every 2 years. They also wouldn't bother releasing free DLC or updating the game if they expect the game to be half dead within its first year. GT games generally have around a 5 year development cycle, the fact is that they expect GT games to last people for years. Also you're clearly not paying much attention to the statistics because GT Sport's playerbase hasn't dropped off gradually through time, over half of people dumped this game before they acquired 10 cars, so its not naturally declining because of racing games longevity, unless that longevity consists of 2 weeks.

Grid 2, Autosport, and Dirt 3 were like 2 weeks and it started to fall off. One month goes by and no one can be found online. Autosport lasting almost 2.

Grid 2, Autosport, and Dirt 3 were like 2 weeks and it started to fall off. One month goes by and no one can be found online. Autosport lasting almost 2.

That's not the playerbase falling off, that's people giving up straight away because they don't like the game. When a games playerbase falls off it gradually declines over the course of a year, or two years or even more sometimes, when it's 2 weeks it's simply players deciding the game is **** or the online portion at least is and they don't want to play it. Not to mention both Dirt and Grid are games built around a single player experience anyway.

Hey woah Autosport was a good game. :(

If you're saying that the online was dead after 2 weeks then a lot of people didn't think so, unless as I suspect they just went back to single player. Personally I've no idea what Grid Autosport was like because Grid 2 was garbage and I decided against buying another Grid game after that. In fact I'm sure I had a PS4 by the time Autosport came out on PS3.

It really was all about the singleplayer, the online was good but it wasn't Grid 1 good. And you're right, Grid 2 was such hot garbage I have no doubts in my mind it ruined the franchise. It took everything in me to get Autosport as they promised to go back to how it should be. I think if Grid 2 never existed the online of Autosport would have lasted a lot longer.

How do you know that racing games longevity isn't as good as other genres? A few posts ago you were saying that the drop in playerbase is comparable to 'most titles', you were also saying the playerbase was healthy and now you're saying that driving games have no longevity and that's why it's clearly not healthy at all, make up your mind. It sounds to me that you're just looking for excuses. Are you trying to tell me that PD and Sony know and expect that their game will only be played by a tiny percentage of people 6 months after launch? That's clearly not the case since they don't attempt to do a Forza and replace it with a sequel every 2 years. They also wouldn't bother releasing free DLC or updating the game if they expect the game to be half dead within its first year. GT games generally have around a 5 year development cycle, the fact is that they expect GT games to last people for years. Also you're clearly not paying much attention to the statistics because GT Sport's playerbase hasn't dropped off gradually through time, over half of people dumped this game before they acquired 10 cars, so its not naturally declining because of racing games longevity, unless that longevity consists of 2 weeks.

Where have I said this? My comment about most titles refers to the size of the active multiplayer base compared to the total sales of the game. I also never said that the GT Sport playerbase wasn't healthy. Having a multiplayer base of 40,000 daily players and around 100,000 weekly is far from being dead, especially when other racing titles don't even come close to those numbers. It doesn't matter how you portray GT Sport to be a failed experiment, when the most significant factor on determining if GT Sport was a success or failure for Sony and PD is total sales, and as of right now, it is too early to declare a final judgement.

Having a multiplayer base of 40,000 daily players and around 100,000 weekly is far from being dead, especially when other racing titles don't even come close to those numbers.

It is notoriously difficult to get those figures for other games, though. If you have 'em, we'd love to see 'em!

For reference: the latest Indy-themed Rivals event in FM7 has about 30,000 people taking part. It's been running for about a week or so now I believe. But it's one aspect of the game; it's impossible to tell how many other players are active but simply ignoring it (even if it's been incentivized).

Looks like ps5 will come erliest 2021 (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-still-three-years-away-says-playstation-boss/1100-6459155/)

So couple of years to go for GT Sport as I dont think PD will bring GT7 (or whatever it will be called) for ps4

Difficult to say. If history tells us anything, the PS3 came out in 2006 and GT5 & 6 were released in 2010 and 2013, so if history repeats itself another GT title could happen late in the PS4 lifespan. Maybe 2020 or ‘21. Who knows.

Difficult to say. If history tells us anything, the PS3 came out in 2006 and GT5 & 6 were released in 2010 and 2013, so if history repeats itself another GT title could happen late in the PS4 lifespan. Maybe 2020 or ‘21. Who knows

Mabey they learned from history that is it not an good idea to bring a new GT title just before new PS generation will be released. But like you wrote - who knows...

Last edited:
Where have I said this? My comment about most titles refers to the size of the active multiplayer base compared to the total sales of the game. I also never said that the GT Sport playerbase wasn't healthy. Having a multiplayer base of 40,000 daily players and around 100,000 weekly is far from being dead, especially when other racing titles don't even come close to those numbers. It doesn't matter how you portray GT Sport to be a failed experiment, when the most significant factor on determining if GT Sport was a success or failure for Sony and PD is total sales, and as of right now, it is too early to declare a final judgement.

"For most titles, the active playerbase that plays the game's multiplayer on a daily or weekly basis is a small fraction of the game's total sales." Which would suggest that you're saying that most games have a similar drop off percentage to GT Sport, which would be true, if other games players left after a week. Again you're comparing it to racing titles without the financial backing or marketing of Sony. Sales alone do not make a game a success or failure, especially when a game was selling for under half price after 2 months, success is judged by how many people actually like and still play the game which it GT Sport's case is around 15% of people who have played it.

"For most titles, the active playerbase that plays the game's multiplayer on a daily or weekly basis is a small fraction of the game's total sales." Which would suggest that you're saying that most games have a similar drop off percentage to GT Sport, which would be true, if other games players left after a week. Again you're comparing it to racing titles without the financial backing or marketing of Sony. Sales alone do not make a game a success or failure, especially when a game was selling for under half price after 2 months, success is judged by how many people actually like and still play the game which it GT Sport's case is around 15% of people who have played it.
I've already clarified this by mentioning the longevity of racing games compared to other titles. Sales wouldn't matter much in this scenario if this was a game with a much lower budget and a smaller target audience, but considering that this is Sony's flagship racing game and that GT Sport is a triple A game with a high budget, I think sales would absolutely be a key factor for Sony and PD on determining the state of the game.

Sales alone do not make a game a success or failure, especially when a game was selling for under half price after 2 months, success is judged by how many people actually like and still play the game which it GT Sport's case is around 15% of people who have played it.
Sales are indeed just one part of the equation and this discussion reminds me of Destiny 2 a lot. D2 came out and was met with generally positive reviews, lots of people pre-ordered it and it outsold D1 immediately. Players were expecting a bigger and better Destiny but quickly started to realize that the end-game was extremely lacking, that most of it was built around an in-game microtransaction store, that many things from D1 were missing or overly simplified and they left. Even die-hard fans, who didn't abandon the D1 ship in the most difficult moments; or the top YT content creators, who were born because of Destiny, went on streaming and making videos for other games (like Fortnite, The Division etc.), after they understood that things weren't going to get better anytime soon. I couldn't even trade my copy in because there was a ban in place ("Sorry, we have far too many copies and nobody is buying it anymore") and now new ones are sitting on the GS shelves at 20 bucks. A triple A game that came out in September, made by Bungie, published by Activision, promoted and advertised left and right. Did It sell well? Absolutely. Was it praised by the press? Yes. Was It a success beyond sales and reviews? No. Too many steps back, not enough forward, to the point where people thought that a three years old game was the sequel to the one that just came out and not the other way around.

Anyway! I know that D2 and GTS are two wildly different games, made for completely different audiences, but the point made by Stephen remains: sales surely mean money but don't necessarily mean success in the broader sense of the word, as defined by the number of active players, their engagement and overall satisfaction with the game. No need to say that It also depends on the internal sales target, that we don't know.

Just my two cents. Sorry for the long post, hope it didn't go too off-topic with D2.

Edit: Grammar.

Last edited:
I've already clarified this by mentioning the longevity of racing games compared to other titles. Sales wouldn't matter much in this scenario if this was a game with a much lower budget and a smaller target audience, but considering that this is Sony's flagship racing game and that GT Sport is a triple A game with a high budget, I think sales would absolutely be a key factor for Sony and PD on determining the state of the game.

:lol what a load of *****

Oh, without doubt. This game became more for the pure/elite racers. There's just no competing with the guys that have steering wheels and setups that gain so much time.

Me, I've got a TV, PS4, and a controller. And that should be all good. But the messages and abuse so get for being a noob or too poor to play. Amazing.

I'm just glad I got ghosted when they lapped me, lol. Lord knows I'm for it if my race compromises theirs by mistake, got tedious pulling over all the time.

GT is certainly no game. It's a purists delight, but casual fans that may be limited in funds or function to use these toys, well, it left me wanting and looking to GTA for a fairer shot at a moral boosting win, lol.

(Only read page 1 so far).

1) Kudosprime isn't entirely accurate iirc. It extrapolates using statistics.

2) You do know that something like 60% of PS4's don't even have plus.

GTS some months ago had 1 million unique players a week and is now somewhere around 700,000. That is an absolutely massive online audience, especially for a racing game. There is no online racer that comes close to such numbers.

Its called context.
And like I said, how exactly is that a counter point to his point? The context you added doesn't change anything. If anything, you're reinforcing his point about activity. For a game focused around online activity, the lack of it concerning trophies for the simplest things are a bit odd considering the amount of sales that it's accumulating.

And like I said, how exactly is that a counter point to his point? The context you added doesn't change anything. If anything, you're reinforcing his point about activity. For a game focused around online activity, the lack of it concerning trophies for the simplest things are a bit odd considering the amount of sales that it's accumulating.

I think its pretty obvious how it undermines his point: GTS is pretty close to the percentage split of PS4s online and offline. Its close to the norm, not some worrying statistic some try so hard to inaccurately paint.

Come back to me when you find a racing game with 1 million -700,000 weekly players and then tell me about concern.

I think its pretty obvious how it undermines his point: GTS is pretty close to the percentage split of PS4s online and offline. Its close to the norm, not some worrying statistic some try so hard to inaccurately paint.
That's a 60/40 split that you mentioned, meanwhile, theres 3.1 million people, according to his post, that haven't even finished one race? That would mean that GTS has sold somewhere around what, 5 million already? I'm not so sure that's the case. Not only that, but just because 60% of the player base on the whole of PS4 doesn't have Plus doesn't mean that it is the same for 60% of GTS players. Who knows what that is though.

Come back to me when you find a racing game with 1 million -700,000 weekly players and then tell me about concern.
Why would I? I'm not mentioning concern, so you might be reading into things that aren't actually there. I just said it's odd for such a lack of activity for a high selling game in regard to the trophies.

Last edited:
Back