Gran Turismo Sport Selected for First Ever Olympic Virtual Series

• Thread starter Rangeraus
  • 218 comments
As a 20+ year customer of the franchise I'm glad they're further focusing on rewarding the 0.00001% and the industry clique... however, I'd also like them to smash it out of the park with something the average consumer can enjoy too. I don't think they will, this will be a shame.

Also, for me a gaming GT player Olympian will be an offensive joke to 'proper' Olympians. It should not be difficult to guess my benchmark.

All I know is very early on, GT had a Live event in Europe where it was Nations with 3 drivers per nation. Hungary won. One of the most exciting races I've watched. Matching the excitement of a 4x100 running or swimming relay. Which can be the most exciting Olympic events to watch.

This is awesome! While GT Sport itself has quite mixed opinions, it is clear that the top drivers of the game are tremendously skilled and deserving of being a part of the Olympics. Seeing how successful GT Academy was and the FIA Championships are gives me great hope that this series will be successful.

I always thought the Olympics were supposed to be un-augmented, thus why actual motorsport has never been a part of it. Fail to see how this is any different.

I don't really care much for the Olympics and besides, GT already has the World Tour so why is this needed?

Wow. I have had no qualms with GT Sport getting its due in regular esports competitions, but for an Olympic event I sure would have expected something more...true-to-life?

Of course, multiplayer stability and polish plays a role too -- a reason I'm not surprised a sim like PCARS2 might be rejected -- but...Gran Turismo? Might as well have picked any other game with competitive and stable multiplayer, sim or not. Why not Olympic Rocket League, then?

About the Olympic Virtual Series

The International Olympic Committee will partner with leading International Sports Federations and game publishers to offer the first-ever Olympic event for virtual sports video game enthusiasts all around the world — the Olympic Virtual Series. Taking place from 13 May to 23 June 2021, the series will encourage the development of physical and non-physical virtual forms of sports, with a focus on regulating fair competition, respecting the values of sport in these virtual forms, and reaching out to new audiences, in line with the recommendations of the IOC’s Olympic Agenda 2020+5.

R8ddcba213568ec1073c71228d4137194

When will this event be? Did not understand in the article, 2020? That was last year, 2020+5? 2025? Or is it 2021 in May to July/June?

When will this event be? Did not understand in the article, 2020? That was last year, 2020+5? 2025? Or is it 2021 in May to July/June?
Gran Turismo is set to become an official Olympic sport, as one of five official partners for the first ever Olympic Virtual Series (OVS) later this year.

The OVS will run from May 13 through to June 23, ahead of the delayed Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 which starts in July.

As a 20+ year customer of the franchise I'm glad they're further focusing on rewarding the 0.00001% and the industry clique... however, I'd also like them to smash it out of the park with something the average consumer can enjoy too. I don't think they will, this will be a shame.

Also, for me a gaming GT player Olympian will be an offensive joke to 'proper' Olympians. It should not be difficult to guess my benchmark.

Thats why i skipped GTSport all along. This further confirms they are way off their path now. We will see in 2023 in GT7, if they can still focus on average joe playing games.

Why not? It's a big event.
it isn't this is just trashy side event nobody cares about
other games from that lineup looks questionable too, beside Zwift

the only esport tournaments connected to the traditional sport events that matters at the moment take place on Asian Games
GT Sport provides the best spectator experience in sim racing, by far.
this is not true at all - rFactor 2 have great spectator mode with fantastic overlays

Last edited:
this is not true at all - rFactor 2 have great spectator mode with fantastic overlays
The overlays are great, and I enjoyed Le Mans 24 Virtual last year.

There's something "extra" that GT Sport does which elevates it above all other racing sims in terms of spectator presentation, and it comes down to the dynamics of their camera angles, just the right amount of motion blur and depth of field, and very strong lighting, along with decent trackside details and animations. UI is a bit crowded but looking at just the game feed, I think it's top notch.

It's hard to put into words but a GT Sport race doesn't immediately look like a "game" in the way that others do.

rFactor 2 is getting there though, there's no denying that.

Last edited:
This is good for Polyphony digital but the only done side will be no new tracks or cars for this even Unless they surprise us.

Also for Trustmaster side of things I really hope they show up with T-GT and T-lcm Pedals for The competitors.
Thrustmaster doesn't seem to be talking about Thrustmaster...

As far as I understand it, the competition will - at least initially - be fully public and online through GT Sport's Sport Mode. There's not been a finals event mooted yet, and live event with competitors assembling in person may still be impossible.

It baffles me that some people are confused why GT was chosen,together with forza GT reaches alot more people than iracing or PCsims ever could and given the FIA partnership and the popularity of the IP it's easy to see why the Olympics chose it.
Also,esports aren't taking the spotlight from real life athletes,it's just another discipline.

Take a look at some of the other games. It may change some minds.

Konami Powerful Pro Baseball (teamed with The World Baseball Softball Confederation.). Looks cute but has cult status in Japan.

]
_118169132_d87a36c9-13d3-4267-bb07-9c226f0afc94.jpg

Zwift (teamed with Union Cycliste Internationale)

OIP.L7vDA99vmZz8q4wprbEp8wHaEK

Virtual Regatta (teamed with World Sailing)

R513fbe710d101e3b957cdd84f79741e4

Rowing game TBD by World Rowing. What past competition looked like.

2021-World-Rowing-Indoor-Championships-goes-virtual-1-Featured.jpg

Take a look at some of the other games. It may change some minds.

Konami Powerful Pro Baseball (teamed with The World Baseball Softball Confederation.). Looks cute but has cult status in Japan.

]

Zwift (teamed with Union Cycliste Internationale)

OIP.L7vDA99vmZz8q4wprbEp8wHaEK

Virtual Regatta (teamed with World Sailing)

R513fbe710d101e3b957cdd84f79741e4

Rowing game TBD by World Rowing. What past competition looked like.

2021-World-Rowing-Indoor-Championships-goes-virtual-1-Featured.jpg

I was wondering about the rowing because I've seen machines like that in gyms before. (And kind of the same thought with the cycling, wondering if was basically a Peloton type thing.) But then thought, nah. Why would a virtual, sim-type game actually require you to do the actual physical activity...

I know, sim-racing is kind of the same thing but it almost makes me wonder if there's a world treadmill championship somewhere that I don't know about.

Last edited:
I know, sim-racing is kind of the same thing but it almost makes me wonder if there's a world treadmill championship somewhere that I don't know about.
A quick look and I saw that there's world records for treadmill running. So I'm guessing yes.

If any physical game was to be an Olympic event, it should be Dance Dance Revolution. I can't imagine how good the best players would be.

]

I worked at Konami Europe for a few years. This game was seen by us as "that Japan-only title which is crazy successful".

Don't remember any numbers but I think it was outperforming Pro Evolution Soccer's worldwide stats, the thing's a juggernaut over there. They love their baseball.

Last edited:
I worked at Konami Europe for a few years. This game was seen by us as "that Japan-only title which is crazy successful".

Don't remember any numbers but I think it was outperforming Pro Evolution Soccer's worldwide stats, the thing's a juggernaut over there. They love their baseball.
It just overtook Animal Crossing (also Konami) which was on a year long run as best selling game in Japan.

It's a different world over there, according to • Japan: unit sales of handheld and home video game consoles 2021 | Statista

"The PlayStation 5 had sold approximately 520 thousand units in Japan as of April 2021. At the same time, the Xbox Series X had sold around 30 thousand units. Sony and Microsoft had launched the next generation of video game consoles in November 2020, with both companies offering two different versions of their products. The sales figures showed that the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition and the Xbox Series S, which represent downgraded but cheaper versions, sold fewer units, although the difference was more pronounced in Sony's case. Meanwhile, the Nintendo Switch recorded almost 15.7 million sold units in total, which indicated a continuing high demand for Nintendo's console."

Yup.

While over here ever since the Kojima incident people think Konami doesn't care about "gaming" anymore its clear from their success in Japan that they still do. it's just that "gaming" isn't necessarily exclusive to big-budget AAA console titles like in the past.

They're getting greater bang for fewer bucks, so while we may be sad that we'll never get another Kojima-run Metal Gear title they've made the best business decision in a broader sense.

Last edited:
Sorry but I don’t get it at all. I don’t think anything virtual should be in the olympics but I’m clearly out of touch :lol:.

Also I don’t see how gtsport can be representing motorsport when there are no real vehicles involved. Surely it should be e-motorsport or virtual motorsport like the other virtual sports on the list.

Sorry to be “that” guy but it’s not for me I’m afraid. 👍

Back