Gran Turismo Sport Selected for First Ever Olympic Virtual Series

• Thread starter Rangeraus
  • 218 comments
I'm assuming these are all going to be live in Tokyo. Otherwise virtualised cycling would be a PED party even compared to regular cycling

Last edited:
It just overtook Animal Crossing (also Konami) which was on a year long run as best selling game in Japan.

It's a different world over there, according to • Japan: unit sales of handheld and home video game consoles 2021 | Statista

"The PlayStation 5 had sold approximately 520 thousand units in Japan as of April 2021. At the same time, the Xbox Series X had sold around 30 thousand units. Sony and Microsoft had launched the next generation of video game consoles in November 2020, with both companies offering two different versions of their products. The sales figures showed that the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition and the Xbox Series S, which represent downgraded but cheaper versions, sold fewer units, although the difference was more pronounced in Sony's case. Meanwhile, the Nintendo Switch recorded almost 15.7 million sold units in total, which indicated a continuing high demand for Nintendo's console."
  • Animal Crossing is a Nintendo game, not Konami.
  • In Japan, due to the small number of PS5s in stock, you have to win the lottery to buy one. Many people are still unable to buy PS5.

I guess the new update will change/remove some track billboards for the event. Bridgestone as an official sponsor wouldn't like to see Michelin or Pirelli in this event. (I know, they probably don't care, this is just a small event)

Olympics GT Sport entry - interesting. This is a first step, but I think it will be really interesting for the audience once high quality VR is widely available - possibly with the ability for individual audience members to control their POV in the event (I know - this is many years away...) Personally, I can't wait till VR is fully supported for driving in Gran-Turismo.

Seriously though, this had better be single spec.

I wouldn't worry, even the open car event become single spec by the end of the week.

All I'm hoping for is that they pick tracks without too many exploits, wall rides etc.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry, even the open car event become single spec by the end of the week.

All I'm hoping for is that they pick tracks without too many exploits, wall rides etc.

So LeMans and the Nordschleife it is then.

Is the time trial going to open at 2 am Eastern (in about 30 minutes) like when the new regular time trials change every two weeks?

TL;DR, looks like it's a variant of the Nations' Cup but for only a few rounds.

The time trial is Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept (Gr3) at Tokyo Expressway (South Inner Loop) (10.1.1.4.)

Regional Number of Competitors selected plus the fact it's one per nation is interesting - especially for Asia, since we can only have one Japanese driver (10.1.2.2.):
  • EMEA 7
  • Asia 4
  • Oceania 1
  • North America 2
  • Central & South America 2
  • Total 16
10.1.4. Competitor Selection Restrictions
10.1.4.1. The maximum number of competitors per country/territory is one (1).
10.1.4.2. Any competitor with the same nationality as another competitor ahead of them in the classification after the Global Online Qualification forfeits their place in the results and cannot qualify for the World Final.

The actual event itself will be three rounds (10.2.3.1.):

Race 1: Toyota 86 Gr.4 @ Tokyo Expressway – East Outer Loop
Race 2: Toyota GR Yaris @ Sardegna – Road Track – B
Race 3: Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept (Gr.3) @ Dragon Trail - Seaside

Interesting is that damage is set to real though (10.2.4.1.):

Mechanical Damage: Real
Boost: None
Grip reduction: off-track Real
Settings: Prohibited
Grid position determination: Single lap qualifying

Last edited:
Interesting is that damage is set to real though (10.2.4.1.):

Mechanical Damage: Real
Boost: None
Grip reduction: off-track Real
Settings: Prohibited
Grid position determination: Single lap qualifying
Hmm, mistake? Maybe the writer was in a hurry writing the doc and had a brain fart about the name of the options that setting has. I know I'd do that lol.

Is there a version in another language we can check to verify?

8. CAR LIVERY
8.1. Only the car liveries made available by the Organiser may be used throughout the Competition
8.2. At no time may any competitor in any way use any other livery than the ones supplied by the Organiser.
8.3. Car liveries will not be changed by the Organiser at the request of a competitor.
8.4. Car liveries may be altered by the Organiser as it sees fit.

(luckily the liveries in that video look cool)

10.2.6. Qualifying
10.2.6.1. Before each of the 3 races, there will be a Qualifying session.
10.2.6.2. It is the responsibility of each competitor to find clear track during their Qualifying lap.
10.2.6.3. Blocking or hindering any other competitor during their Qualifying lap may result in a penalty.
10.2.6.4. Each competitor will have one out lap, one timed lap and one in lap in Qualifying
10.2.6.5. Competitors will run Qualifying in groups, which will be communicated by Bulletin to the competitors prior to the World Final.
10.2.6.6. Once the Qualifying session starts, all competitors must open the Pause menu and return to the Paddock menu.
10.2.6.7. Each competitor will run a single out lap and a single timed qualifying lap.

(I wonder if being shamed by the Olympics will make them fix qualifying)

11.3. Competitors must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not. A competitor will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.
11.4. Competitors consistently crossing the white lines defining the edge of the circuit, whether or not they gain an advantage, in either Qualifying or Race will be handed a time penalty to the according Race Result.

(guess this definitely ruled out Le Mans as a location)

11.15. Competitors may not use the “Emergency Brake” or “handbrake” during any Qualifying or Race session to gain a competitive advantage. Any competitor found to have used these inputs will be disqualified.

(booooooooo)

Seems like the three races are only for the people who qualify from the time trial which is a shame, but I'm sure they'll be fun to watch. Hopefully it all goes well and sim-racing/Gran Turismo has future Olympic involvement.

I noticed that they did some changes to the interior of the GR Supra Racing Concept more notably the steering wheel.

On a normal GR Supra Racing Concept it has the Toyota Gazoo Racing logos on it.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210513165341.png

But on the Olympics themed GR Supra Concept, it doesn't have the Toyota Gazoo Racing logos.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210513165214.png

Last edited:
I quite like this combo from a time trial perspective, pity I'm just too slow

Personally I would have preferred the South Outer Loop for this as it's slightly more technical (the bottom hairpin and the chicane at the end of the lap) but this works out okay given how brutal they are with the track limits this time around.

Kinda disappointing how few players will actually get to go head to head. I was hoping they'd open things up a bit compared to the usual competitions.

There are nice real tracks in the game, such as Red Bull Ring, Nürbirgring, Suzuka and Spa.. and they chose these craps for the event. And I suspect these events are sabotaged as usual, namely, players will be given tires that have no grip at all.

Maybe one day they'll create events which offer incentives for the non elite as well.

If you're not already a top 100 player, there is little motivation to enter, like all the other championships. PD must wonder why so few people play them, relatively speaking.
Why not look at it as an opportunity to learn?
I quite like that it's a combo I don't usually use and that I can't load up anyone's ghost

Maybe one day they'll create events which offer incentives for the non elite as well.

If you're not already a top 100 player, there is little motivation to enter, like all the other championships. PD must wonder why so few people play them, relatively speaking.

I am not in the top 100, 1000, or even 10000 players but I am going to enter and give it a shot - why not? There is nothing to lose, a few minutes of practice time and a few minutes of time trial lap times as far as I am concerned. No expectations on my part but I am going to be running practice laps for another race so why not take a few minutes for this one?

Enjoy your racing.

I am not in the top 100, 1000, or even 10000 players but I am going to enter and give it a shot - why not? There is nothing to lose, a few minutes of practice time and a few minutes of time trial lap times as far as I am concerned. No expectations on my part but I am going to be running practice laps for another race so why not take a few minutes for this one?

Enjoy your racing.
Sure but I'm just saying on the flip side of that, why not offer incentives for everyone? They don't have to be large, but offering some in-game reward can help incentivise people, maybe push them harder.

If you run 20 laps and finish in 16,000th, you know that you're never going to get to top 32 even if you do 20,000 laps. But what if you knew reaching top 10,000 meant a reward of 500,000 credits instead of only the current 100,000, or whatever? Maybe you'll do a few more laps. ("You" in this scenario being anyone, not literally you).

I get that for some people they don't need any incentive, which is cool. But I don't see any harm or extreme amount of work to just dangle the carrot to push some other people to try. Maybe more people would actually enter.

Last edited:
Back